Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2010 8:32 PM
Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was a pretty good recap episode. They go over Kyogokudou's hypothesis of the Toorimono in a bit more detail and managed to make it a more unifying theme.

I found it helpful that they went over Kubo's book one more time, however it did bring up one question in my mind. With how brief the summary was, it's hard to know if Kubo is writing just as abstractly as Sekiguchi. From what I saw of Sekiguchi's Vertigo, it seemed to be an abstract retelling of Ubume no Natsu. Kubo's subject is so out there that people could mistake it for such when it could be an exact retelling of his story.

The only thing I didn't really like was the portrayal of Atsuko. The CLAMP version of her is just a bit too cutesy. She's supposed to be a bit more of a rough around the edges tomboy, but I guess it can't be helped.
Jan 12, 2010 3:28 AM

Apr 2008
grapeofdeath said:
This was a pretty good recap episode. They go over Kyogokudou's hypothesis of the Toorimono in a bit more detail and managed to make it a more unifying theme...
Couldn't have put it better myself! A must watch for me, particularly since I didn't have time to rewatch the series when the final subs came out. Really helped more draw together the sequel of events too, though did love the somewhat achronological storytelling.
nehnehnejiJan 12, 2010 3:31 AM
Jan 12, 2010 6:41 AM

Sep 2009
This helped alot as there was a huge gap between episode 12 and 13.

grapeofdeath said:
it's hard to know if Kubo is writing just as abstractly as Sekiguchi.
+1.Whenever they bring the book thing it confuses me....
Jan 12, 2010 12:45 PM
Dec 2007
nehnehneji said:
grapeofdeath said:
This was a pretty good recap episode. They go over Kyogokudou's hypothesis of the Toorimono in a bit more detail and managed to make it a more unifying theme...
Couldn't have put it better myself!

Exactly. And this sister of Kyougokudou, Atsuko, seems like an extremely interesting character, it's a shame we didn't get to see more of her in the main anime.

Anyway, great watch, I hope we'll have more stuff to watch from the staff of Mouyou no Hako and Aoi Bungaku's Hachire Melos soon, especially Ryousuke Nakamura.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 15, 2010 5:26 PM

Jan 2008
This is one good episode. It explored more on toorimono.
Sep 17, 2010 6:43 AM

May 2008
Really liked this recap episode, a little bit brought things together for me for a better understanding of the series. Also I loved the ending scene when Atsuko drew why did she write articles. I also wanted her some more role in the story and poor thing she hasn't shown up much~
May 27, 2013 6:02 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This recap helped look at things from other perspectives. What a strange case.

I feel like reading the novel now.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 18, 2015 7:00 AM

Nov 2013
The artwork improves but the story/presentation was pretty mediocre
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Nov 9, 2015 4:03 PM

Jan 2013
Nice little wrap-up of the main show.
Wish I'd seen more of her.
Jan 24, 2016 10:27 AM

Jun 2011
grapeofdeath said:
The only thing I didn't really like was the portrayal of Atsuko. The CLAMP version of her is just a bit too cutesy. She's supposed to be a bit more of a rough around the edges tomboy, but I guess it can't be helped.
Contrary to you, I actually really liked that. It was fun watching her interacts with her brother.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 21, 2017 1:30 PM
Nov 2015
Atsuko's final monologue is so poetic. Walking down paths of snow to the Lab, thinking ab how writing is like an excorcism and allows you to resume normal life after witnessing the darkness in others' hearts.
and how she is like an objective observer, able to understand the darkness inside Kubo's heart and still appreciate guys like her brother, who tries to rescue pp back to their humanity.
Easily one of my favorite moments. And easily one of the best episode, how they fill in the missing parts refered to in previous eps. Like when Atsuko talked with Kyougokudo, just before Taniguchi and Sekiguchi came visit.
The ant and butterfly motif ends with a gorgeous shot of them getting crushed.
Apr 1, 2019 1:27 AM

Apr 2009
This recap really helped me a lot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2019 4:56 AM

Oct 2015
Dismemberment case in Atsuko's perception!

The arakawa dismemberment case incident involving the wife killing her husband was pretty gruesome, the way it was told. Killing your violent husband because you're tired of living with him, as he spends all your money, was pretty hectic. Leave the bastard, instead of killing him like a butchered animal :-D

Anyways, this special sort of filled the missing blanks of the show. Like understanding the psyche of the perpetrator, the darkness and motive.

The end scene was pretty much Melodious.

The series needs proper attention, not missing one aspect of the dialogue. Then you'll get how simple it is. Don't expect action or anything fancy.
lihle808Dec 14, 2019 5:00 AM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 12, 2023 9:06 PM

Nov 2010
Ah, this explains why there were these dream scenes of Sekiguchi as Kubo during the first half of the show. It was a brilliant way to confuse the viewer. It made me think of Sekiguchi as the culprit back then. It also means that Sekiguchi is susceptible to Mouryou. Does he become a villain in future novels?

That monologue, in the end, is kinda relatable. As someone deeply interested in dark and disturbing stuff and susceptible to Mouryou, it's only a matter of time before I encounter a Toorimono. I constantly struggle against my inner demons to avoid committing a crime. Haha

Interesting way to recap and further explain the figure of speech concept of Mouryou. I thought they would be battling demons and possessed people when I watched the series.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.