Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 27, 2016 11:37 AM

Apr 2010
Seriously, it is just as good as it is bad which means it's just meh. There's nothing about it that's particularly interesting about it at all.

It's just another generic Shonen anime, except this one has a Arabian Nights spin on it.

The storylines and the formula of the show have been done in plenty of other Shonen clones like this.

It's not funny (often), the fights aren't anything special and certainly arent memorable and none of the characters are likable nor are they bad, they're just your usual cookie cutter heroes and villains.

The animation is pretty good but then it's not as good as Seven Deadly Sins.

Speaking of Seven Deadly Sins that was another anime that pretty much had the mindset of "Let's make another One Piece/Naruto/Fairy Tail but this time let's give this one a Middle Ages motif with Knights and Demons instead".

Except that show did have likable characters and good fight scenes whereas this doesn't.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 2, 2016 4:59 AM

Apr 2013
If you honestly think Magi is just like 7 Deadly Sins, which you also think is the same as One Piece/Naruto/Fairy Tail - then I can't take you seriously at all.

Magi and 7 Deadly Sins are immensely different if you've seen both.
May 9, 2016 2:41 AM

Apr 2010
LeFlower-kun said:
If you honestly think Magi is just like 7 Deadly Sins, which you also think is the same as One Piece/Naruto/Fairy Tail - then I can't take you seriously at all.

I didn't say Magi was like Seven Deadly Sins. They're just both Shonen anime that have a similar formula as Shonen Battle anime's usually have except SDS has a Middle Ages motif and Magi has a Arabian Knights motif.

Seven Deadly Sins is very good.

Magi is not at all.
May 9, 2016 3:20 AM
Mar 2013
Nah, Magi is very unique in its approach since it focuses more on the economical, political and sociological aspects of a world.
May 9, 2016 3:31 AM

Jun 2015
Well ain't this amusing... and a waste of time. Personally, I liked Magi more than Nanatsu.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
May 9, 2016 3:39 AM

Apr 2013
scabab said:
LeFlower-kun said:

I didn't say Magi was like Seven Deadly Sins. They're just both Shonen anime that have a similar formula as Shonen Battle anime's usually have except SDS has a Middle Ages motif and Magi has a Arabian Knights motif.

Seven Deadly Sins is very good.

Magi is not at all.

Nanatsu no Taizi is trash compared to Magi.

Nanatsu no Taizai formula has been done to death already, the Magi manga with the current arc focuses on things that most shounen manga don't even try to explore (politics, economics, changes in society/social standing).

I assume you just watched the first season or even dropped it and dismissed the entire series. You can't talk shit if you haven't caught up to the latest chapter for both.
May 9, 2016 3:44 AM

Apr 2010

Nanatsu no Taizai formula has been done to death already, the Magi manga with the current arc focuses on things that most shounen manga don't even try to explore (politics, economics, changes in society/social standing).

I assume you just watched the first season or even dropped it and dismissed the entire series. You can't talk shit if you haven't caught up to the latest chapter for both.

I haven't read the manga. I said most mediocre anime on the forum for the anime.

I saw the 25 episode season of Seven Deadly Sins and the 25 episode season of Magi and the former is in a completely different league.

Vastly better characters (Aladdin is possibly the worst protagonist a show like this has had), vastly better character designs as the Magi characters are incredibly generic being just pretty boys/girls with rainbow coloured hair of purple, pink and blue etc

Drastically better fights as Magi didn't really have any good fights at all. It was the funnier show and the better animated show.

Better story also. I'd probably give Magi better settings and that's about all.
May 9, 2016 3:49 AM

Jul 2013
people have their own taste

if you can't understand or accept that people like different things then you're an idiot.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

May 9, 2016 3:54 AM

Apr 2013
scabab said:

I haven't read the manga. I said most mediocre anime on the forum for the anime.

I saw the 25 episode season of Seven Deadly Sins and the 25 episode season of Magi and the former is in a completely different league.

Vastly better characters (Aladdin is possibly the worst protagonist a show like this has had), vastly better character designs as the Magi characters are incredibly generic being just pretty boys/girls with rainbow coloured hair of purple, pink and blue etc

Drastically better fights as Magi didn't really have any good fights at all. It was the funnier show and the better animated show.

Better story also. I'd probably give Magi better settings and that's about all.

Nanatsu no Taizai story is not even close to the level of Magi in the current arc. Like I said, you can't really judge/compare one series to another unless you are caught up to both.

Looking at your favourites list, I can tell that you aren't a fan of shounen shows like Magi (since it doesn't have as much of a big focus on combat/battles as much as your generic battle shounen).

Nanatsu no Taizai does have good characters, I'll give you that. But so does Magi.
May 9, 2016 4:11 AM

Apr 2010
Nanatsu no Taizai story is not even close to the level of Magi in the current arc.

I don't give a shit about the current arc. Seeing as it isn't in the anime which is the thing I'm commenting on as I just told you.

Like I said, you can't really judge/compare one series to another unless you are caught up to both.

I'm perfectly capable of comparing to Shonen anime's of similiar lenght of which both only cover the opening portion of the overall story.

Nanatsu no Taizai does have good characters, I'll give you that. But so does Magi.

Who? Aladdin is a terrible protagonist. He's the main character and doesn't even do that much. He's a generic happy go lucky kid who always has a dumn smile on his face and is a nice guy. There's nothing unique about him, he's not the most likable or even the most interesting of the series.

Ali Babar is alright but has the most generic character design possible. The girl character with pink hair is another one of those quiet girls whose actually really strong, nothing likable about her though she isn't terrible.

Sinbad is also just alright and again very cliché.

Compared to the Seven Deadly Sins characters, they aren't funny, they don't have good character designs, they don't really have any interesting powers, nothing.
May 9, 2016 4:21 AM

Apr 2013
scabab said:
Nanatsu no Taizai story is not even close to the level of Magi in the current arc.

I don't give a shit about the current arc. Seeing as it isn't in the anime which is the thing I'm commenting on as I just told you.

Like I said, you can't really judge/compare one series to another unless you are caught up to both.

I'm perfectly capable of comparing to Shonen anime's of similiar lenght of which both only cover the opening portion of the overall story.

Who? Aladdin is a terrible protagonist. He's the main character and doesn't even do that much. He's a generic happy go lucky kid who always has a dumn smile on his face and is a nice guy. There's nothing unique about him, he's not the most likable or even the most interesting of the series.

Ali Babar is alright but has the most generic character design possible. The girl character with pink hair is another one of those quiet girls whose actually really strong, nothing likable about her though she isn't terrible.

Sinbad is also just alright and again very cliché.

Compared to the Seven Deadly Sins characters, they aren't funny, they don't have good character designs, they don't really have any interesting powers, nothing.

And no one gives a shit about your opinion formed from lack of information on a series.

You like generic shounen shows with a lot of flashy battles. Good for you.

But calling Magi generic when you compare it to shit like Nanatsu no Taizai is just some funny clown fiesta nonsense.
May 9, 2016 4:26 AM

Apr 2010
What lack of information? I'm commenting on an anime I've seen in its entirety, there is no lack of information.

If you don't give a shit then why do you keep bringing up the manga when I'm talking about an anime on an anime forum? Are you just stupid or something?

Magi had flashy battles just the same as the other Shonen anime. Don't make it sound like it's above them because it isn't. The show has the same kind of battles and the same formula of the characters learning new abilities and getting more powerful just the same.

The only difference is that they weren't very good in this show.

It is generic, the only thing unique about this anime is the Arabian Knights motif, that's it. The character designs, the characters, the fights etc all generic.
May 9, 2016 5:02 AM

Apr 2013
scabab said:
What lack of information? I'm commenting on an anime I've seen in its entirety, there is no lack of information.

If you don't give a shit then why do you keep bringing up the manga when I'm talking about an anime on an anime forum? Are you just stupid or something?

Magi had flashy battles just the same as the other Shonen anime. Don't make it sound like it's above them because it isn't. The show has the same kind of battles and the same formula of the characters learning new abilities and getting more powerful just the same.

The only difference is that they weren't very good in this show.

It is generic, the only thing unique about this anime is the Arabian Knights motif, that's it. The character designs, the characters, the fights etc all generic.

So you think Magi is more generic than Nanatsu no Taizai.

The powers that the characters of Nanatsu no Taizai have are goddamn generic and been done to death.

> A power level system for Hawk (seriously a fucking power level meter? Topkek).
> Immortality, just that for Ban.
> A giant who has super strength and some Earth elemental affinity (Diane)
> A MC who has a tragic past that is a cool badass. Hides his power level until he explodes (that demon power that Meliodas has).
> A fucking fairy with a magical weapon and some magic (King)
> A magician who... uses just magic (Merlin)

The only unique powers in Nanatsu no Taizai is Gowther who can control people's memories and thoughts.

Now let's go onto the story.

Seven knights get betrayed by a kingdom and have to go to redeem their reputation/fight the evil that framed them?

Where the hell have I seen this before? Oh yeah.. http://myanimelist.net/manga/70/%C3%9Cbel_Blatt

All Nanatsu no Taizai is about is literally fighting fighting fighting and beating up some generic antagonist that is just evil for the sake of evil.

Now let's go to Magi.

Magi powers are strictly obtained through dungeons/artifacts. The only exception are the magicians with high levels of Magoi and Fanalis (who have a somewhat extensive backstory as to why they are what they are). This is a concept not done by most manga because mangakas just tend to give the characters powers they were either born with or have within their body.

As for your Sinbad argument:

> Sinbad is by far the greyest protagonist/antagonist I've seen in any series. He isn't some generic villain like the Ten Commandments and demons that are just evil for the sake of being evil. He does a ton of morally grey things that are in a sense the right thing to do but at the same time opposes the protagonist making the readers have a hard time deciding which side he really is on.

> Alibaba and Aladdin (the two MC of the series) experience much more growth than anyone in Nanatsu no Taizai. They both go from naive kids with a constantly changing opinion of the world around them (Alibaba in particular hesitant to go against Sinbad in certain arcs, while siding with him in others) and transform into more mature adults that use the experience they received throughout the course of the story to make their own decisions in the future arcs (Alibaba vs Sinbad in economics). All Meliodas and the rest of the cast have is some generic ass sob backstory that has been done to death in shounen series that doesn't even have much depth (Meliodas with a dead loved one, Ban with a dead loved one who gets resurrected later, King with a dead friend).

For the Story and Themes:

> Storywise, Nanatsu no Taizai is literally fighting evil to save the world while Magi focuses on themes beyond such simple terms. Magi is different. It explores the discrimination that people face in different forms of government and societies (aka a Monarchy vs Democracy). Not only that, it focuses on the impact of the economy when society changes, showing that a nation or a group's power level is not just determined simply by military strength (unlike Magi where power levels of groups and nations are strictly determined by character strength).

For the setting:

> Magi = Arabian Knights setting

> Nanatsu no Taizai = Another generic Medieval Fantasy setting

For Character Designs:

You seriously telling me that this art style/character design:

is more generic than this?

So yeah, Magi is much more unique than Nanatsu no Taizai will ever be. Whether you dislike Magi or not is not a problem. You calling it more generic than shit like Nanatsu no Taizai is the problem.
May 9, 2016 5:39 AM

Apr 2016
i don't know why anime that's like 'naruto/one piece/fairy tail' but 'only with arabian night twist' is such a problem. i know it's just like your typical shounen anime, but actually it covers some pretty serious issues like slavery, corrupted governments, poverties and whatnot. the action is pretty great, art is really good, and to me the characters are likable. aladdin is not some hot headed idiot who runs his mouth as he pleases, alibaba is a great guy overall, morgiana kicks ass (which is pretty rare for a female character to be badass in a shounen anime, not like it's never happened before, but it just doesn't happen a lot) and one most important thing that makes me really hooked on magi is the amazing character growth. They started of as kids with such great potentials, but they are well aware that they have so much to learn.

I mean it's cool if you think the anime is mediocre, and you don't really see the appeal to it. everybody has their own taste. but to me, magi will always have that special place in my heart.
Stranger213May 9, 2016 5:47 AM
May 9, 2016 6:18 AM

Apr 2010
The powers that the characters of Nanatsu no Taizai have are goddamn generic and been done to death.

They're not overly original but they are used well in their fight scenes. Bans immortality makes his fights visually interesting because he'll be stabbed and cut apart.

On the other hand you have Aladdin who uses magic, Ali Babar who has a sword that can call upon some interior being AKA Bleach and some girl who just has strong kicks. And the fight scenes are boring.

So Seven Deadly Sins wins there easy. More powers, more variety and better fights.

All Nanatsu no Taizai is about is literally fighting fighting fighting and beating up some generic antagonist that is just evil for the sake of evil.

No....no isn't....

That's also not far off from Magis description anyway except the fights aren't any good.

This is a concept not done by most manga because mangakas just tend to give the characters powers they were either born with or have within their body.

Which is hardly any different as it stills follows the same formula as the protagonists gaining new powers as they go on and getting stronger, whether that be by learning something, having inner power or finding something it's all the same formula in the end.

[quote]Sinbad is by far the greyest protagonist/antagonist I've seen in any series.[quote]

Yet is still a generic side protagonist in the anime.

You seriously telling me that this art style/character design:

Except they don't look anything like that do they?

No they look like this

As generic as they come.

Now as I already pointed out, it's not as though Seven Deadly Sins isn't somewhat generic itself, they all kind of are, same with Fairy Tail.

But it makes up for it by being good. Seven Deadly Sins is a good anime. The animation us fluid, the characters are likable, the show is funny, the show is entertaining, the character designs are good, the world is interesting and the fights are entertaining.

The same is not true for Magi, the fights suck, the characters are generic and just plain boring especially Aladdin, it's funny rarely and it is not entertaining.

It's nowhere near as good.
May 9, 2016 11:52 AM

Jan 2014
scabab said:
RedRoseFring said:

Lol. *Still said with the same DBZ avatar. Dat comedy.

That's right...my avatar is still the same as it was a mere 2 weeks ago. Your butthurt comments are also the same.

So is that it? You're upset because I called an anime you like mediocre but you don't actually have anything to say to oppose it so you just randomly bring up another show altogether?

That seems to happen a lot on here.

Lol. *Still said with a DBZ avatar as the irony grows even thicker.

Anyway, let me be a bit more serious.

Magi is head and shoulders far above the kind of generic-ness associated with DBZ, so if DBZ's generic-ness and below mediocre-ness did not disappoint you, I fail to see how a far superior show like Magi did.
Most DBZ characters are the definitions of stereotypes (people often mistake them for establishing those stereotypes although shows that precede DBZ are responsible). Magi on the other hand has characters that do not fit into any of those pretty packages. Hackuryuu for example. The characters deal with conflicts that go beyond just throwing fists (which may explain why you weren't interested) involving politics, leadership and morality.
The mysteries established in the series are also among those few shounen series dedicated to worldbuilding. The Aladdin/Ali Baba duo is also pretty unique in shounen in having a protagonist and deuteragonist that aren't rivals or inseparable.

It may be closer to One Piece but is distinct enough from Naruto and Fairy Tail, and just by virtue of being more complex and fleshed out is miles ahead of DBZ. Even the fights involved though maybe scarcer than other series involve some forethought beyond simply overpowering enemies with bigger energy blasts.

RedRoseFringMay 9, 2016 12:06 PM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 9, 2016 2:45 PM

Apr 2013
scabab said:
They're not overly original but they are used well in their fight scenes. Bans immortality makes his fights visually interesting because he'll be stabbed and cut apart.

Lmao. Are you seriously telling me that immortality is a unique power concept in shounen manga? Visually interesting? Every fight with Ban is literally him getting bashed into infinity because all he has is his immortality until he wares out his opponent using that "steal" ability.

scabab said:
On the other hand you have Aladdin who uses magic, Ali Babar who has a sword that can call upon some interior being AKA Bleach and some girl who just has strong kicks. And the fight scenes are boring.

scabab said:
Which is hardly any different as it stills follows the same formula as the protagonists gaining new powers as they go on and getting stronger, whether that be by learning something, having inner power or finding something it's all the same formula in the end.

Except artifacts vs artifacts in Magi makes fights much more interesting. Elemental affinity actually playing a relevant role in fights (Kougyoku being stronger near the sea, etc).

Not only that, the origins for each power has an actual history/story behind it and their existence is explained. Nanatsu no Taizai doesn't even go on to explain why some characters have certain abilities other than the fact that they were born with it.

scabab said:
No....no isn't....

That's also not far off from Magis description anyway except the fights aren't any good.

Yes it is. Have we been watching the same show? What else is there to Nanatsu no Taizai other than fighting? That's the central and main theme of the entire series. It introduces nothing new and is as generic/cliche as it can get.

Let me know if you actually have decent points to argue back, because just saying "no" is a joke.

scabab said:
Yet is still a generic side protagonist in the anime.

Sinbad who is a morally grey character that can either be viewed as a protagonist or antagonist is considered a generic side protagonist? How delusional can you get lmao. You think Nanatsu no Taizai is any better?

> Meliodas = Generic badass MC that hides his "true power" and has a tragic past with a dead loved one.

> Ban = Another generic ass cool friend character of the MC that also has a tragic past with a dead loved one.

> King = A generic side character that is angsty as fuck in the beginning to the MC who also has a tragic past regarding a dead friend (who turned evil cuz hur dur humans are all evil and there's nothing else to it).

> The Ten Commandments = The real antagonists of Nanatsu no Taizai. They are nothing more than the typical "we are evil and we will destroy the world for funzies." Also have ties to the MC (Meliodas) which has been done to death in a fuckton of goddamn shounen manga in the past.

scabab said:
Except they don't look anything like that do they?

No they look like this

As generic as they come.

Except this:

and this:

are the original character designs/art style by the CREATORS/MANGAKA of each respective series.

Doesn't get anymore real than that when you want to compare character designs. Nanatsu no Taizai art style is plain as fuck compared to Magi.

Nanatsu no Taizai compared to Magi is like comparing fucking Disney movies to HBO TV shows. If you want to talk about what's more unique/generic, it doesn't get more generic than Nanatsu no Taizai. Whether you like Magi or not doesn't matter, but don't go spouting random bullshit with nothing to back it up with lmao.
May 9, 2016 3:32 PM

Dec 2012
Ehh. You are comparing the COVER designs. Magi cover designs are always extravagant unlike Nanatsu.

The actual designs of characters in the manga are the same as the anime:
http://static.zerochan.net/MAGI%3A.The.Labyrinth.of.Magic.full.1368020.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/2c4e7ffe09cb482fd4d267373bf52ccb/tumblr_o0ys11ybYs1ut0hbao1_1280.png

No where as good as the covers.

Nanatsu design and artstyle is better imo. Magi's is too simplistic. The design is what would you expect from Arabian nights and the art style in terms of quality is just not as well drawn as Nanatsu.
May 9, 2016 4:01 PM

Sep 2011
This should've been locked long ago. It's basically a blog to complain about the show without actually throwing general questions. With all these thoughts in you, you should've just made a review about the show instead.

Necro posts are just baits now.

Thread Locked
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2013

262 by animejas »»
Feb 19, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Magi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Num1dad_Asura - Oct 7, 2012

337 by Kent1234 »»
Dec 29, 2023 12:59 AM

Poll: » Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2013

198 by GearheadOtaku »»
Dec 1, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2013

121 by GearheadOtaku »»
Dec 1, 2023 10:21 PM

Poll: » Magi Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2013

192 by GearheadOtaku »»
Dec 1, 2023 9:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.