Forum Settings
Forums

you know that THING that makes you rage in an arguement

New
Apr 26, 2016 5:46 AM

Oct 2015
I thought we could talk about the things that we HATE a person to say in an arguement. You know the one. The one where after they have said it you just can't take their argument seriously anymore. You know it isn't really fair but you can't help it. Everyone does it so lets share experiences why not? Here's mine

So I made a review of an anime and said I didn't like it but tried to give evidence of my point with pros and cons to be fair and I watched 10 episodes before I made the review. Then someone says 'you only don't like it coz you watched it in english' WHAT?! By the way, I did actually compare both versions in the video so he clearly didn't watch it for a start! And to think they would have the audacity to suggest I would just dislike something coz of a dub of it. What about the rest of the points I said like the animation and character designs?! They don't change through translation! Then when I tell them to please watch the darn view first then they say 'you would like it if you watched the entire series!' What kind of logic is that?! Sorry but this really grinds my gears here. anyone agree? anyone else have a rage feedback story to share?
Apr 26, 2016 5:59 AM

Feb 2013
I use to argue with a friend everytime cuz he claims shingeki is shit without giving me a proper explanation on why he thinks that, is just the "because I didn't like it" over and over again and Im tired of telling him that doesnt make an anime bad. Also he is super fan of SAO and that pisses me off even more xd

Apr 26, 2016 6:40 AM

Jan 2010
When they dun put respeck on my name.
Apr 26, 2016 6:43 AM

Jan 2015
When they disagree with me. It must mean they are obviously wrong.
Apr 26, 2016 6:46 AM

Feb 2016
Nope, very few things in life get me actually angry. I can't even remember the last time I felt what I would describe rage.

I sometimes debate with people online but if anything, its my passive approach when people are trying to get me riled up that in turns makes them lose their cool.

Once you've lost your cool, you've lost the argument.

@AutisAwsome No offense but that argument sounds really childish.
Apr 26, 2016 6:56 AM

May 2015
I would always get into arguments with this one kid who would run out of things to say to me and start attacking my comebacks, then act like he was somehow still in it.

I don't know about what you think, but going after the person you're arguing with's wit with an even less witty and original statement is a sure sign you have nothing else you can use to your advantage.
Apr 26, 2016 6:59 AM

Oct 2015
Tokis86 said:
Nope, very few things in life get me actually angry. I can't even remember the last time I felt what I would describe rage.

I sometimes debate with people online but if anything, its my passive approach when people are trying to get me riled up that in turns makes them lose their cool.

Well I didn't have a full blown argument with them I just tried to tell them to watch the vid first and then after the second comment I just left them to their own. I have to comment on these things a lot in my reviews on youtube coz otherwise people can judge the vid before watching it so I have to at least try to argue my case a little but once it gets ridiculous I just stop and leave
Apr 26, 2016 7:09 AM

Feb 2016
@AutisAwsome Well as long as you know when to stop and leave then that's really good as many people (adults or kids) cannot bare someone else "having the last word" (and loads of trolls use that to their advantage).

On the few times I've ended up in big debates with other people online, although I felt strongly about what I was disagreeing with them about, afterwards I ended up feeling rather annoyed with myself that I had spent so much time online when I could have been doing something more meaningful (whether you win or lose a debate, in the big picture of things most squabbles online are pretty meaningless/pointless).
Apr 26, 2016 7:17 AM

Feb 2016
I have had full blown arguments with people several times. I only continue arguments when I KNOW I'm right, even Google does. When I'm certain that I'm right, I don't stop arguing until the person agrees. However, if during the span of the argument, I realize that I am wrong... I just say stuff like "u no wat... im dun. stahp talking 2 meh. fuk u". It doesn't happen much though.

The thing that gets me annoyed in an argument is when I'm definitely right and the person even knows I'm right but they don't shut the fuck up. Basically, ignorance. The other party would be aware that I have won, but they won't back down and they'll keep trying to "prove a point".

Whenever it reaches that point though, I don't rage but instead I just walk away or stop arguing because sooner or later it ends up pointless and I end up wasting energy.
Apr 26, 2016 7:26 AM

Oct 2015
Exhalant said:
I have had full blown arguments with people several times. I only continue arguments when I KNOW I'm right, even Google does. When I'm certain that I'm right, I don't stop arguing until the person agrees. However, if during the span of the argument, I realize that I am wrong... I just say stuff like "u no wat... im dun. stahp talking 2 meh. fuk u". It doesn't happen much though.

The thing that gets me annoyed in an argument is when I'm definitely right and the person even knows I'm right but they don't shut the fuck up. Basically, ignorance. The other party would be aware that I have won, but they won't back down and they'll keep trying to "prove a point".

Whenever it reaches that point though, I don't rage but instead I just walk away or stop arguing because sooner or later it ends up pointless and I end up wasting energy.

agreed. I had a funny moment when I was talking about history and for some reason this person so offended and started to talk about Nazis which was not at all what we started with so I said 'ok I'm not going there. people will be upset' so I left and then my friends found him and kicked his sorry butt of an argument and I didn't even ask them to. one of them was a history teacher and agreed with me lol XD
Apr 26, 2016 7:56 AM

Sep 2013
When the other person begins talking over me. You're going to sit the fuck down and listen to me, and then I'm going to sit the fuck down and listen to you.

...admittedly, I have some work to do on the last part.
Apr 26, 2016 7:59 AM

Jan 2016
when shit doesn't make sense and they talk out from their ass.
Apr 26, 2016 5:47 PM

Apr 2016
Well I had an argument with my ex recently over an anime, I was talking to him and told him I had just finished watching The Devil is a Part Timer! (Hataraku Maō-sama!) And he spent the entire day telling me that it didn't end the way I said it ended and he didn't even watch the damn thing! He was going by his 'best friend's' word who had watched it like months ago while I had JUST watched it. Ooh I was so pissed, if there is anything I hate it's to be called a liar. In the end though he admitted that he was wrong and it was all good.
Apr 26, 2016 5:59 PM

Jul 2013
I hate it when people go full retard. Never go full retard.
Apr 26, 2016 6:45 PM
Apr 2016
Anecdotal evidence. It's worthless and annoying.
Apr 26, 2016 6:49 PM

May 2009
For example, with Erased (last season), I was actually surprised at how many sensible reviewers were approaching it with such irrationality. A lot of their arguments held no water, and just seemed to be a hot-potato-esque phenomenon that was just being passed around. I found it both hilarious and a little pathetic that people were arguing such ridiculous, petty notions, but it seems that's how it goes nowadays. I'm actually just amazed by how many people think being a critic or reviewing involves selective nitpicking, or using stock arguments/buzz terminology. I can't tell you how many times I just run into top reviews or reviews in general (not just on here) where people just resort to "The story was really good because it was thematically profound" or "characterization gets full points because all the characters were complex and developed well throughout" and then give irrelevant and fallacious examples to support an already incredibly generalized claim. Oh well. I guess I'm not much better just sitting here and criticizing "critics". - quoted from an insightful friend, but I used it because I totally agree with her.

Oh well, reason why I don't write reviews.

I don't like it when someone is being presumptuous and assumes that his/her opinion is spoken on behalf of the majority when clearly it isn't but a fallacy.
SadistApr 26, 2016 7:05 PM

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Apr 26, 2016 6:55 PM

Dec 2010
"but not ALL men"
"but not ALL women"

Apr 26, 2016 6:59 PM

Mar 2014
Whenever my later-bloomer younger sister would say "What is with your attitude?! Are you on on your period or something?!"
asdkbsdkfbskl
Apr 26, 2016 7:08 PM

Jan 2012
Tokis86 said:

lol being hypocrite here or just Liar , i remember u have talked shit in my acne thread and u were really angry
little proof:

lol don't give advice just becz u are 29 years old , it seems to me urself need an advice.

Apr 26, 2016 7:21 PM
Oct 2014
You can't make me mad by arguing with me. If you make well-reasoned and logical points, I'll respect you for it even if I disagree. If you just keep repeating your unfounded opinion over and over again as if you can somehow make up for a lack of proof by being REALLY REALLY convinced you're right, I'll call you on it and make you look like an idiot.

Because of that, I'm far more likely to make others mad in an argument than to get mad myself.
Apr 26, 2016 7:22 PM

Oct 2015
FrozenWhiskers said:
"girls have it easier"

it annoys me so much

Girls have it easier to find....?
:)
Apr 26, 2016 7:24 PM

Feb 2015
"You'll understand when you're older"

Like, no.
I respect that you may have more time on this earth, but do not assume that means that I am not adequately educated in a matter that I am passionate enough to speak my mind on.
Apr 26, 2016 7:53 PM

Oct 2015
FrozenWhiskers said:
Zelgadis said:

Girls have it easier to find....?

are you trying to trigger me?

zelgadis pls
being a bully doesnt suit you

killyourself

You know how it is.We both know.
maybe
Apr 26, 2016 8:12 PM

Jul 2012
if someone disagrees with me, i will argue to a certain extent

once they prove to be total tards, i leave it

this is way over the top but if i know i'm right i don't really don't care and just move on

i used to argue online. there is no point in carrying on a conversation where someone won't even consider a different opinion. i'm sure that others might feel the same way abiout me, but i don't care.. lol
Kewpie_dollApr 26, 2016 8:15 PM
Apr 26, 2016 8:34 PM

Aug 2015
There's a friend of mine who disregards everything that I have to say when we're arguing, and when I tell them that I'll send them some evidence via chat or something, they always back out or tell me that it's "probably fake".
Apr 27, 2016 3:43 AM

Feb 2016
AllenVonStein said:
Tokis86 said:

lol being hypocrite here or just Liar , i remember u have talked shit in my acne thread and u were really angry
little proof:

lol don't give advice just becz u are 29 years old , it seems to me urself need an advice.

1. Feeling strongly about something is nowhere near the same thing as getting raged up about it (which was certainly not the case). To clarify;

A. I feel strongly about people being shamed because of their skin problems (which is what you were doing).
B. But in regarding my shaming you for your shaming, I remained cool & placid throughout that thread.

2. You seem to have a selective memory regarding how things went in that thread. You were behaving like a douche, and I and numerous other people disagreed with you and you pretty much got your ass handed to you in that thread (and that you are bringing this up after what...A month or two later? I can only imagine that you are still feeling pretty "butthurt" about what happened in that thread).

3. After that thread you then later did a whole bunch of other thoughtless threads on stuff like shaming people because of their obesity etc (none of which I bothered commenting in as you were clearly a waste of time).

Move on AllenVonStein, move on...
Apr 27, 2016 3:47 AM

May 2013
Tokis86 said:

Play league of legends.I rage on the daily : )!
Apr 27, 2016 3:49 AM

Jun 2012
Interrrrrpetgyu said:
No, there is no thing that does that because I'm not autistic.

What does that have to do with being or not being autistic?
Apr 27, 2016 3:58 AM

Sep 2009
When they start spouting crap that's stupid and not even relevant to the argument.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 27, 2016 4:02 AM
Mar 2008
Mvsk said:

OT: If it is an argument and the person is repeatedly wrong on their point yet still has full confidence in ignorance then i can't take them seriously.

Just basically this. Its like trying to argue with a wall, that does not move anything forward.
Apr 27, 2016 4:15 AM

Mar 2014
When they've got a problem with me

BECAUSE IF YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH ME

THEN I GOT A PROBLEM WITH YOU
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 27, 2016 4:32 AM

Sep 2015
I don't. Getting angry in a debate is the quickest way to lose it. If someone makes an obviously idiotic claim, either calmly refute it or don't even deign to respond. There's little point in arguing with idiots; you won't get anywhere doing so.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 27, 2016 4:40 AM

Jun 2012
-Maz said:
I don't. Getting angry in a debate is the quickest way to lose it. If someone makes an obviously idiotic claim, either calmly refute it or don't even deign to respond. There's little point in arguing with idiots; you won't get anywhere doing so.

That's true, but many debates are won (in the eyes of the populace) with complete lies, bogus reasoning, someone getting angry or feeling offended. Really no different from "might makes right" though the method is often employed (not always knowingly) by people who wouldn't want to be associated with such 'fascist' attitudes.
Apr 27, 2016 5:03 AM

Sep 2015
Kidemonas said:
-Maz said:

That's true, but many debates are won (in the eyes of the populace) with complete lies, bogus reasoning, someone getting angry or feeling offended. Really no different from "might makes right" though the method is often employed (not always knowingly) by people who wouldn't want to be associated with such 'fascist' attitudes.

That just falls in line with the "little point in arguing with idiots" point. I won't lose time nor sleep over the masses who would prefer to hold onto fallacious notions rather than accept they're in the wrong.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 27, 2016 5:18 AM

Jun 2012
-Maz said:

That just falls in line with the "little point in arguing with idiots" point. I won't lose time nor sleep over the masses who would prefer to hold onto fallacious notions rather than accept they're in the wrong.

I hear ya. I don't waste time on them.
Apr 27, 2016 5:57 AM

Feb 2016
I think the reason why perhaps a lot of people don't back down in debates even when they have gotten to the point that they know that what they are arguing is wrong (but they persist in arguing it anyway), is because of the fear of other person being a "bad winner".

Many people are mature enough to back down or accept that they are wrong in a debate IF they think that person they are debating with is a decent individual. But if said individual strikes them as the kind of person who would totally rub their victory in their face ("rubbing the salt into the wounds" etc) and even bring up the incident much later on (being vindictive etc), then the debate can suddenly become no longer about the original topic but has instead morphed into a fight (on a very personal level) between the 2 individuals concerned.

In these sorts of situations I think things gets complicated because while dropping the whole subject and moving on is still the best solution in resolving the "war of words", people are also flawed (and will want to be seen to protect their honour and not appear like a doormat etc). Its tough though because sometimes you come across people who are their own worst enemies and insist on driving debates towards something personal either because they can't move on (after losing a debate) or because that's their method of "winning" debates (basically personally attacking people so much that they get fed up and move on).

For me personally if people try to attack me on a personal level, I will probably defend myself. However I don't like getting wrapped up these sorts of petulant & inane "bitch off" type arguments as whoever "wins" (I say "wins" as winning something like this is not necessarily something to be proud of), the whole thing is arguably a complete waste of energy (I mean really all you have done is wasted X amount of time bickering with someone you will probably never even meet in your whole life and who you don't care for at all etc).

On a completely separate note though...Some things to take into consideration;

1. 95% of people are not going to change their opinions overnight. Strongly held opinions in debate are usually held for a number of reasons and even if all those reasons are proven wrong, most people still take a while to think things over and change their mind (if they ever do).
You have to be forgiving/understand towards people to a certain extent in this respect (that its unreasonable to expect people to change at the drop of a hat just because you came up with a compelling argument in an online debate- life is not so simple like that).

2. Live and let live.
For example...I don't believe in creationism and I struggle to understand (from an evidence/scientific based point of view) how anyone could really believe in it in this day and age. However they may believe in creationism not because there are compelling scientific arguments for it (there aren't really any), but rather because its simply what they want to believe in (because of their religion).

So IMO there is no point in arguing against someone who is dead set on believing in creationism because the reasons why they believe in it is not based on science, it is based on faith (and so for them, believing in creationism is not simply a case of having nobody put a compelling enough argument before them yet). Some creationists do pick up bits of science or scientific theory here and there to justify their believes but either way, for the overwhelming majority of creationists its not primarily about the science but rather its about steadfastly believing in their religion.

And besides, is it really all that bad that they believe in creationism? Can you not live and let someone believing in something like that (even if you find it a very flawed belief)?

I'm not saying that its wrong to argue against people's beliefs (which maybe you find exasperatingly stupid/flawed/whatever). But it is wrong to assume that people you disagree with simply haven't been presented with a compelling enough argument or that they're ignorant & stupid. Because sometimes people just believe in what they want to believe in regardless and if you ultimately don't respect their right to hold their own opinion on a matter (and you persist in trying to strip them of their beliefs/opinions or convert them to your way of thinking), often all you will result in is a loss of time & wasted energy etc (at the end of the day the creationist will continue living in creationism and you will continue on not believing in it- after all is done and said, nothing has changed).

So sometimes its better to just "live and let live" instead of trying to argumentatively convert people online to your way of thinking (which at the end of the day, may not even be totally right itself. Ideas in society are always in constant flux...).

Some opinions are held not because of reasoning but because of the choice to hold them (and you sometimes gotta respect their right to do that).
Tokis86Apr 27, 2016 6:02 AM
Apr 27, 2016 6:21 AM

Oct 2013
"Cuck" is my trigger................
Apr 27, 2016 6:27 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Nothing. But when the other person is just repeating themselves without even bothering considering the responses I already gave; I just leave the discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 5 hours ago

12 by Astachanna »»
1 minute ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Apr 17

20 by Malkshake »»
32 minutes ago

» Planning a Spain Trip

redlockhigh - Apr 8

23 by Malkshake »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - 2 hours ago

7 by rohan121 »»
40 minutes ago

» Why should we have sympathy for drug addicts? ( 1 2 )

HarryRambod22 - Feb 10, 2022

72 by KitsuFrost »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.