Forum Settings
Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Pages (85) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2016 12:39 PM
Mar 2011
Ryoku Tama Shinshi under rated as hell one of of the best anime of the past 15 years
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 26, 2016 12:40 PM

Jan 2013
Ghost Hound is underrated and too unknown. The anime touches on a topic that really needs some exploring; astral projection. It had an excellent plot and the characters were pretty good, so was the animation.

Hyouge Mono is also criminally underrated. A close to perfect Edo era anime with the most unique cast ever. Every episode will blow your mind and entertain you in some way or the other. Seriously, don't miss it guys.

Also, I'd like to point out that Erased it overrated. The show unfortunately relied too much on an utterly untouched "ex-dues machina" plot device. It deserves a 6
KladApr 26, 2016 12:47 PM
Apr 26, 2016 12:45 PM

Oct 2015
Syrup- said:
Overrated: Literally anything by Kyoani past 2008. Despite having great approaches to animation, they tend to take the worst stories, worst characters, and try to improvise to create something that just comes off as forced. The end result is usually a polished, sloppy turd that ultimately leaves me feeling disappointed over the wasted budget on mediocre ideas. Painting the frames with heavy usage of special effects does not make a good anime. Noteworthy examples Kyoani's typical "style over substance" approach that went nowhere: Kyokai no Kanata, Hibike Euphonium, Hyouka.

Don't even get me started on the cancerous fanbase that seems to defend Kyoani tooth and nail over the most minute factual errors.

My main issue with Kyoani is that most of their artstyles and characters look the same. Hell, even the brown-skinned guy from Chuunibyou has the exact same face as Yui from K-on!

Although I will admit that from a technical standpoint, Kyoani's animation is some of the best in the industry, all of it (apart from Nichijou) has that kind of generic "ANIME" artstyle that leaves a bad taste for me.
Apr 26, 2016 12:47 PM

Jul 2013
OddMoses said:
I believe the second season of ushio and tora will get a higher rating since its going to have the final clash and a better plot progressing and my god the plot progression so far in the second season is good. I did enjoy the first season but there were some sub plots that felt a lil bit boring and the narrative was stretched kind of reminded me of higurashi's first and second season with the necessity of giving a clear slow narrative choice in the first season then going all out in the second one. hopefully the pay off is as good as higurashi's.
Just see how the first season is outside the TOP 1000, while the second season is in the TOP 500. I definetely agree that the second season will hopefully have a higher rank, since the ones who are watching this are basically the people who didn't drop the first season and is apparently enjoying the season 2.
Apr 26, 2016 1:07 PM

Jan 2013
Lobinde said:
Syrup- said:
Overrated: Literally anything by Kyoani past 2008. Despite having great approaches to animation, they tend to take the worst stories, worst characters, and try to improvise to create something that just comes off as forced. The end result is usually a polished, sloppy turd that ultimately leaves me feeling disappointed over the wasted budget on mediocre ideas. Painting the frames with heavy usage of special effects does not make a good anime. Noteworthy examples Kyoani's typical "style over substance" approach that went nowhere: Kyokai no Kanata, Hibike Euphonium, Hyouka.

Don't even get me started on the cancerous fanbase that seems to defend Kyoani tooth and nail over the most minute factual errors.

My main issue with Kyoani is that most of their artstyles and characters look the same. Hell, even the brown-skinned guy from Chuunibyou has the exact same face as Yui from K-on!

Although I will admit that from a technical standpoint, Kyoani's animation is some of the best in the industry, all of it (apart from Nichijou) has that kind of generic "ANIME" artstyle that leaves a bad taste for me.
Oh same. Gotta give them credit where it's due though. Shaft's is the one style I can't really stand looking at anymore. They may have a sense of minimalism/abstract style but it's still annoying to look at.
Apr 26, 2016 1:16 PM

Oct 2013
Nostalgia. Lol never expected to see this back.

overrated

The Jo jo series in general. This is one of those series I just can't understand why people like this series, it's also ironic how a lot of snobby users that nitpics every series for their flaws love this one? I guess its because it doesn't take itself seriously? Even if that's the case you guys are enjoying a obviously badly written series, but then turn around and criticze people for liking anime like sao because it has bad writing. Is that what we called double standard?This series is so chessy, the writing is so bad, asspulls everywhere. I guess people only like it for the manliness and the crossdressing looking characters?

One punch man.This is not a bad series, it has its moments. Some of the fights are good the soundtracks are pretty good, and I also like the interaction between saitaman and genos. But the story and chracters are just dull, it can be such a boring series at times, Saitaman also kill any excitement this series has because when he arrives you know game is over, and the one punch thing gets stale really quick. He's more enjoyable to watch when he's not fighting tbh. Not a bad series just really overrated.

noragami 1st and 2nd season I have no hate towards this series, but it's really overrated especially the second season. This series is like between average and above average. It's so plain, and the characters are not that interesting, the plot is also pretty plain and the villains in the series are so boring/easy to beat. Also what is the role of the main girl again? Except for being a love interest for the two characters? I don't know. It has its moments but most of the series is dull. Giving it a 6/10 was probably me being too generous. :/

The fate series on a whole. For me the fate series is always between a 6 or 7/10. Imo the series has a bad way for giving us information. Most of it is info dump, the characters will just talk for majority of a episode to give us all the important information, I think there's better ways they could have done that, tbh I don't really care about the plot and If I don't care about the plot neither wil I care about its "so called fantastic" world building, because it's really not that interesting. The chracters are decent, the visuals/soundtrack and action is the best part about this series and this is basically what nakes this series a 6 or 7/10 for me. Pretty overrated imho.

keragammingApr 26, 2016 1:23 PM
Apr 26, 2016 1:25 PM

Oct 2015
keragamming said:
Nostalgia. Lol never expected to see this back.

overrated

The Jo jo series in general. This is one of those series I just can't understand why people like this series, it's also ironic how a lot of snobby users that nitpics every series for their flaws love this one? I guess its because it doesn't take itself seriously? Even if that's the case you guys are enjoying a obviously badly written series, but then turn around and criticze people for liking anime like sao because it has bad writing. Is that what we caled double standard?

Oh yeah, I also agree so much with this. I don't think Jojo series is bad at all, it's just not very good either. Yes, and although the "enlightened"/"deep" crowd attack SoL stuff for not having a focus on story/narrative a lot of them praise Jojo's Bizarre Adventure even though the story is a mess. Dio is a nonsensical villain with an unrealistic motivation and all of the other characters just feel like one-trick ponies. I do like certain aspects of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and I do acknowledge that it has made contributions to badass action anime tropes but it just failed to truly engage me.
Apr 26, 2016 1:36 PM

Dec 2012
GesuYarou said:

I get why some people would be confused as to when to take this show seriously and when to not. But to me it's pretty clear; this show is pretty damn dark & serious, but its messages are conveyed in a very non-serious way. It's actually a mixture of both. Some might find it awkward and confusing, some might actually find it refreshing.

I'm wasn't I was confused when to take it seriously. I was saying the show itself was confused when it take itself seriously and when it doesn't. Dark? that's definitely the first time I've seen someone refer to the show like that. There is really nothing dark about the show, even it's most disturbing moments was just uncomfortable relationship between Satsuki and her mother. Everything else in terms of atmosphere is comedic and when it tries to be serious it has the B movie plot all over it, with Ryouko's ''dark'' transformation. The show never took itself serious consistently enough for a dark atmosphere to exist. Seconds after something grave happens, cue in Mako doing her usual bits. Or having a character moving in 2 frames ''kill'' someone a.k.a Nui. It never felt like they were any actual consequences, no death, no heavy penalties.

The reason as to why I find Kill la Kill underrated is because not everyone can understand Imaishis work. He always has some kind of symbolism going with it underneath his over the top comedy and off the wall action sequences..

I don't think this is even remotely true. There is a light social commentary in the series but the show never dwells enough on it for it to be of some substance. Just passing phases among all the wacky stuff. Even TTGL which was a lot more consistent in tone, wouldn't really say it had a lot of symbolism going for it, yes the underground space they were living represents oppression and piercing the sky represents freedom but that's about it, they are not core parts of the whole experience, they are small and very obvious parts of general outline but they are not necessarily a substantial message that carries the show.

Klk conveys it's anti-establishment, anti-fascist themes in a very pro women narrative (I know I'm not using the right words here). Honnouji academy is ruled by the misguided dictator Satsuki Kiryuin. Or rather than misguided, she's sly, clever & waits for the right moment to use her power against the real tyrant Ragyou Kiryiun..
Satsuki rules Honnouji Academy with an iron fist, forcing everyone to conform to her standards. She either heavily penalizes those who beg to differ, or promote them & allow them into her student council depending on whether or not she sees potential in them. She's also the symbol of perfection. She's portrayed to be perfect in her behavior, her mannerisms & imposes this 'perfection' upon her students...

On the other hand there's Matoi Ryuuko. She's on a mission & sees nothing else other than to avenge her father. She apparently doesn't really care about conforming or living up to the standards that the Honnouji academy expects it's students to meet. Instead she fights for individuality & free will..
Senketsu represents her inner conscience that prevents her from deviating from the goal she sets out to achieve. It's a symbol of individualistic thinking in the way that she's the only one who is willing to think & look differently..

How are those underlying themes? the show goes out of it's way by having Satsuki call people pigs and sheep. It was there but again it wasn't carrying the show, it was still just Ryouko blindly trying to get revenge. It's not a pro women narrative. The show never actually addresses gender. It never says women can be as strong or stronger than men. They just are stronger for no particular reason and almost all men characters in the show are completely useless. A pro women narrative would set both genders in equal footings and shows the perseverance of women among other things like the hunger games for example off the top of my head, Katnis didn't have special heritage or something special to fight with.

Don't get what the Senketsu paragraph has to do with anything, and I don't remember it to be true.

I'm thinking that the skimpy clothing is a symbolism for how everyone should be unashamed of their insecurities & should wear their personality on their sleeves. It may also have a more explicit meaning such as women wearing whatever they wan't or something like that. I haven't really figured that part out so far tbh..

Again that's not symbolism. And it's something Satsuki directly said to Ryouko. Which doesn't mean much nor is it a big message. Same thing can be found in a hanna montana show.

And it doesn't mean much when everybody in the show embraces nudity. It's only relevant to the literal plot of cloths. Simple messages that were very obvious.

I'm not really a very good writer & this may sound like complete pretentious bullshit but this is what I saw in it..

Klk is basically an exaggerated representation of real life social construct.
There's a somewhat similar kind of symbolism behind TTGL as well.

The problem with what you are saying is that you are treating some small things shown in the series and blowing them out of proportions. Aside from nudity and cloths there is no particular theme that was carrying the shows. Nor were any of them substantial enough to be called symbolism and themes that can be attributed as a reason to watch it. It barely has a social commentary going for it, but it doesn't focus enough on it to amount to something beyond basic understandings of general messages that can be found anywhere [ being comfortable in your skin, having individuality, difference between the rich and poor social classes, etc]

I would say something about your opinion on NHK as well but it's quite clear that you saw everything there was to it and simply just didn't enjoy it.
That's okay I guess..

I didn't think it was executed properly my actual enjoyment in a show like NHK is kinda irrelevant. In the sense that it's a depressing subject so entertainment outside of comedic scenes is unusual.

Rayzer said:

But on Boku no Hero Academia being underrated? It was been added by over 100,000 MAL users, and only 19,000+ had scored it.
So it's too early to take that score seriously. It's just almost 20% and 80% was undecided.

I wasn't really referring to the score more to the comments I read in episode discussion threads. Though I only recently realized most people don't score shows early always thought the opposite was true
Apr 26, 2016 2:21 PM

Apr 2015
Most Underrated:

Major - amazing sport anime, great long beautiful story that shows every stage of MC life. A lot of great characters, good pacing, great matches - one of the best sport anime, but people don't watch it becouse it's long and it's about sport. It's extremaly underrated.

Hajime no Ippo - maybe it's not this underrated, but rather a lot of people don't even try this anime becouse it's long and about sport just like with Major, here also a lot of people say it has bad art and I don't understand that. Ippo is the best sport anime ever made and everything about this anime is great, it's just masterpiece.

Uchuu Kyoudai - well this one is great, it has one of the best OST I've ever heard, it even motivates me to studying. This is such a beautiful story with quite slow pacing, but everything is perfectly explained and you can learn a lot about space here.

NANA - "art is strange, I won't watch it" said almost everyone. What a mistake it is when someone refuses to watch it becouse strange art. I can easly say it's the best romance ever made.

Magi - I can understand why this anime isn't beloved this much as it should be, but manga is great - it's really surprisingly logical shonen, background characters are really good, world is perfectly made, everything is slowly being explained. Maybe it isn't any underground, but I really think this should be much more hyped.

Kingdom - same here, manga is way better. People refuses to watch it becouse really bad CGI, I can understand it, but manga is just amazing, it's so amazing that I don't know how to describe it, really this manga is so addicting, it's really really really underrated.

Most Overrated:

Tokyo Ghoul - well it this case I've heard manga is really good, but anime is really different from manga so just studio destroyed good manga. First season was quite ok, but 2nd wasn't even decent.

Fairy Tail - dropped after 6 episodes, since I've heard it's quite good at the beginning but later get worse, after 6 episodes I couldn't imagine shonen to be worse so I just dropped it.

Fate/stay Night - well maybe it's not that bad as SAO, TG or FT, but it was really boring for me, maybe it's just my taste but it was just fine for me. Fate/zero was really good I must confirm, but also not for me.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - I thought I'll cry since I've cried like a bitch on Clannad becouse I've heard it's really sad one. I was just a bit sad. Maybe that's becouse second half was way worse and I was just bored but it wasn't anything special.

One Punch Man - maybe it was really good as parody of shonen, okay, I could have fun from animation and "hilarious" situations, but damn I don't understand why people love this anime so much, I really don't get it.
TyrelApr 26, 2016 3:29 PM
Apr 26, 2016 2:23 PM

Aug 2015
Underrated : The OreImo series.

The ending was terrible, I'll admit it. But the entire series doesn't deserve to be hated just because how the ending were. OreImo S2 specials were killed the show, that's why it's okay to hate on it. But hating on the entire series makes no sense.

OreImo had some good and likable characters ( the strongest point imo ). Also it uses almost all the known anime tropes without being cringy which is always a plus point. Has got nice Visual, soundtrack , op , Ed. In short all the traits of a good anime. But it still went no where with that in the end. Because of the 'salt' the ending left.

I think each season of anime should be judged separately by the quality of their own quality. Downvoting the prequel because of some terrible ending of some sequel special makes no sense.
Z-DanteApr 26, 2016 2:34 PM
Apr 26, 2016 2:27 PM

Jul 2015
Cejara said:
Orion_Gospel said:
Although i'm a fan, i would say One Piece is an overrated anime.

- Bad animation
- Very slow pacing
- Stupid filler scenes
- Sometimes cannon events are different from the manga
- It takes like 4-5 minutes to actually start watching the episode

Also, because it takes to long for the story to go on, people are getting bored, and they're not impressed anymore. Plus, many times, One Piece follows the exact same motive.
- Go to an island, which is ruled by a bad guy.
- Befriend with at least one girl and her family/friends
- Seperate the Straw hats, to even at different islands.
- Luffy wins with a nice finishing move, and he screams somethig like "Don't touch my nakama"
- Happy ending for a moment
- Show something "bad" which happened/is going to happen in some other island
- Hype
- Next arc

I love one piece too, but I couldn't agree with you more.

The same goes for Fairy Tail. I love Fairy Tail, but I do think it is overrated. Once we got into the fairy tail 2014 series the story got a lot better, but the fights are a bunch of ass-pulls usually (wait til we get in to the next arc... OMG it makes me want to scream with the amount of ass-pulls there are EVERY SINGLE BATTLE!!!!). It always comes down to there's this strong opponent that they can't beat, but by some sort of miracle of nakama power they beat the hell out of the enemy when we all know if they didn't have plot armor as thick as Gajeel's iron then they would get their ass beat and die. I do stand by that the overarching story is still great though.

I've never seen Fairy Tail, but that sounds bad i guess
Apr 26, 2016 2:30 PM

Aug 2014
I would like to add one more Anime to the Overrated list that I've made at page 2.

Tokyo Ghoul:- This anime is considered to be Seinen, Seinen means its targeted at adult audience, I dont know whats mature about it.
Average animation,average art, the characters are lame, the story is stupid, emo edgy characters, and above all the kagune fighting style is one of the lamest shit I've ever seen in anime. The only good episodes were the first one and the last one, other than that its a mess. And its rated higher than Tex, DUH!!
Second season is even worse.
Apr 26, 2016 2:30 PM

Jul 2013
Orion_Gospel said:
Cejara said:

I love one piece too, but I couldn't agree with you more.

The same goes for Fairy Tail. I love Fairy Tail, but I do think it is overrated. Once we got into the fairy tail 2014 series the story got a lot better, but the fights are a bunch of ass-pulls usually (wait til we get in to the next arc... OMG it makes me want to scream with the amount of ass-pulls there are EVERY SINGLE BATTLE!!!!). It always comes down to there's this strong opponent that they can't beat, but by some sort of miracle of nakama power they beat the hell out of the enemy when we all know if they didn't have plot armor as thick as Gajeel's iron then they would get their ass beat and die. I do stand by that the overarching story is still great though.

Fairy Tail is a very basic shonen in it execution and plot. It's enjoyable and has likeable characters, but the fights get very predictable later and the villains ends up being a bunch of jobbers. This last arc of the manga has been the worst in doing this.
Apr 26, 2016 2:36 PM

Mar 2014
keragamming said:
noragami 1st and 2nd season I have no hate towards this series, but it's really overrated especially the second season. This series is like between average and above average. It's so plain, and the characters are not that interesting, the plot is also pretty plain and the villains in the series are so boring/easy to beat. Also what is the role of the main girl again? Except for being a love interest for the two characters? I don't know. It has its moments but most of the series is dull. Giving it a 6/10 was probably me being too generous. :/
I hate to say this but I have to agree with you on this one

I liked the first season but season two was nothing short of a bland and unnecessarily convoluted mess

Everybody claims Aragoto is the best out of the two seasons but I really can't see why

By the end of the Bishamon arc I simply gave up on trying to care about the plot and the characters because it was so fucking BORING
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 26, 2016 2:43 PM

Sep 2013
What a day to be alive! MO/U is back after so much time! Who would've guessed LOL.

Anyways.

Most overrated is an easy choice: HxH (2011). Put simply, author thought Chimera Ants was a good idea. In reality though, my guess is that he was out of ideas to keep the manga going, so he came up with something as cheap as that arc. The whole concept of it is stupid. Nice way to ruin something that could've been great :/

EDIT: always keep in mind that overrated and underrated are different from "overwatched" and "underwatched".

For instance, no way Uchuu Kyoudai and Major are underrated like some guy above said.
WintoviskyApr 26, 2016 2:48 PM
Apr 26, 2016 2:50 PM
Dec 2013
mouvite said:

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
It's not bad, actually I kinda liked it, but I don't understand why it's a thriller and why it's so "shocking" as many people say. While I was watching it I was waiting for the big plot twist and some really heavy drama but at the end I just asked myself "soo.. that's it?". It was enjoyable to watch but I feel like people seriously exaggerate when they say how dark and dramatic it is. Maybe the top reviews had set my expectations too high.

This is why hype culture is dangerous, this anime is originally supposed to deceive viewers into thinking it's another magical girls anime, but once it's revealed to be dark and everyone talks and hypes it up, there comes the possibility that it doesn't live up to people's expectation, leading to the displeasure that it's not as good as people say it is.
Apr 26, 2016 2:50 PM

Dec 2015
Illyricus said:
Orion_Gospel said:

Fairy Tail is a very basic shonen in it execution and plot. It's enjoyable and has likeable characters, but the fights get very predictable later and the villains ends up being a bunch of jobbers. This last arc of the manga has been the worst in doing this.

Tell me about it lol. This last arc is explained as the greatest threat that they will ever face. Its not just some shonen threat where the next baddie is stronger than the one before him either. This threat is huge and real where you would expect some serious casualities on both sides. Every enemy is over-hyped with some OP powers that make them unbeatable, but each enemy is used as fodder by one random asspull after the next. I don't think there was one fight to not be ass-pull fodder in the next arc yet xDDD. So yeah even though I like fairy tail, its waaaaay overrated.
Apr 26, 2016 2:52 PM

Dec 2012
Klassical said:

Tokyo Ghoul:- This anime is considered to be Seinen, Seinen means its targeted at adult audience, I dont know whats mature about it.
Average animation,average art, the characters are lame, the story is stupid, emo edgy characters, and above all the kagune fighting style is one of the lamest shit I've ever seen in anime. The only good episodes were the first one and the last one, other than that its a mess. And its rated higher than Tex, DUH!!

Because it's graphic? hence the censorship?

Can you explain any of this? seems like you are just throwing adjectives around.
Apr 26, 2016 2:53 PM

Jun 2012
keragamming said:

The Jo jo series in general. This is one of those series I just can't understand why people like this series, it's also ironic how a lot of snobby users that nitpics every series for their flaws love this one? I guess its because it doesn't take itself seriously? Even if that's the case you guys are enjoying a obviously badly written series, but then turn around and criticze people for liking anime like sao because it has bad writing. Is that what we called double standard?This series is so chessy, the writing is so bad, asspulls everywhere. I guess people only like it for the manliness and the crossdressing looking characters?

It's one of the most iconic and influential series ever made and has a certain style and charm you can't find in any other series. Araki just has a knack for thinking outside of the box when creating powers while also making engaging and tense situations around them. All that combined with the generational storytelling is appealing to a lot of people, there's just really nothing else like it.

Also most people admit the first 3 parts have really weak writing as a whole. It's usually the later parts (specifically DiU and SBR) that get all the critical praise, since that's when Araki started giving a shit about characterization and story structure along with the crazy Stand battles.
Apr 26, 2016 2:54 PM
Apr 2016
Overrated: Akame Ga Kill. This anime is just plain bad, not just overrated. Animation was average, characters were terrible (especially Tatsumi), didn't know what tone it wanted to go with, and the final episodes are some of the worst I've ever watched. Just rushed and lazy. I can't understand why it has a 7.86. I have it rated as a 2.

I can't think of an underrated one unfortunately.
Apr 26, 2016 3:04 PM
May 2014
Overrated
Fate/Zero Especially the first season. I really don't understand why this one is so well loved. The characters are forgettable and boring, the battle scenes were kind of poorly directed, the plot was campy and a little cliche, the animation was good but not exceptional. I gave it a 5, primarily for its campiness. I admit that if it's your cup of tea, I could see giving it maybe a 7, but I have no clue why the average is an 8.5.

Steins;Gate I enjoyed it, and the plot was really engaging, but most of the characters were extremely cliche and not very engaging at all, and, as someone else in this thread noted, the treatment of genderfluid characters was offensive at best. At its best, it's a very entertaining sci-fi comedy, but not the beloved masterpiece that it's regarded as at number three on the list.

Underrated
Hotarubi no Mori e Sure, it's in the top 100, but there's not as much hype about this as I would expect for how good it is. It's probably the anime that most closely approximates a Noh play (other than Mushishi) out there. The plot is compelling, it has a great ending, it's beautifully animated, yet not many people seem to know about it.

Stranger: Mukou Hadan This one usually is critiqued as being little more than a gimmicky series of action scenes with a minimal plot, or is completely ignored. I think this is because of the western prejudice, since Aristotle, to make plot the most important thing ever, but if we're interested in Japanese anime I think we should at least try to suspend this western bias. I'm usually not a fan of a film so focused on action, but in this one the action is so well directed that I couldn't help but enjoy it. The pillow shots in between the action scenes are absolutely stunning, and it is perfectly animated (I kept pausing just to admire the background sets). Sure, the plot isn't the driving force to this movie, but eastenr theatre always tends to be more about the atmosphere created than the plot, and this one surely accomplishes that.

Hal Not sure why this is so obscure, as it's my favorite romance-based anime. It's beautifully animated and directed, has a wonderful twist ending, and is extremely engaging. But it gets less than an eight, and is generally ignored.
Apr 26, 2016 3:05 PM
Feb 2015
Overrated

Kill la Kill. I think it's a weak anime with horrendous animation. I personally never found the plot or characters appealing. I remember my ex was obsessed with the anime and begged me many times to give it a try so I did but shit do I regret it. I fell asleep on both episodes and I remember telling him how shitty it was afterwards . I woulda preferred watching School Days ending 20 times over Kill la Kill anytime.

Naruto. The plot is definitely cliche and cheesy with the MC Being to weak in my opinion.

Food Wars. Um people getting an orgasm while "eating good food" Really? I find that stupid and not funny one bit. I rather just watch hentai that then this shit.

One Piece. Bad animation, it lacks plotline and seems to repetitive.

Haikyuu. Hmm I hear a lot of people say this anime is a fujoshi bait well it honestly did get me into the show. I was so bored because everything was so slow, generic and the characters weren't likable. I felt myself more drawn to Prince of Stride with the the struggles and bonds they had with each other the Haikyuu.

Underrated

Saint Seiya. The anime deserves to be praise more. I personally don't like the shounen "genre" much but in my opinion I find it amazing how 5 young warriors are picked to protect and give up there lives for the Goddess Athena. This series gets better and better as they fight different Greek Gods and the Gold Saints as well. Instead of fighting powerful ninjas and silly pirates these warriors are putting there life in danger to fight Gods.

Hanasakeru Seishounen. People are always bitching about the female being useless and stupid in reverse harem but you have 14 year old female name Kajika Burnsworth who has a mentality of a 25 year old female who goes out of her way and gets to know each and every guy her father picked for her and if I'm not mistaken she chooses someone at the end. So how the hell is this rated a 7.91 The anime has a serious yet beautiful story to it where we learn so much about the characters and politics world. This anime is definitely my favorite reverse harem after Fushigi Yuugi.
NoNameNoName000Apr 26, 2016 11:13 PM
Apr 26, 2016 3:10 PM

Mar 2014
The most underrated anime I've seen is Cross Game. It's the magnum opus of a mangaka who’s been writing the same kind of thing for 40 years. Judging by that, you can expect it to be a pretty damn perfect version of that thing. What is said thing? Slice of life psychological sports dramas. For all the exciting baseball in Cross Game, it is not focused on that.

Very early on in Cross Game, major tragedy strikes. The next 49 episodes go through 8 years of reeling from the incident, which is looked at with unflinching honesty and realism. Yet, despite the insane affect this event has on the characters, said effect is conveyed subtly, rather than through silly melodrama.
Speaking of the death of silliness, the dialogue in Cross Game is my favorite in any anime series. While not nearly as engaging or insane as Isin’s dialogue, it also isn’t nearly as focused on. It’s just very natural and well paced dialogue, usually rich with nuance and humor. Even with the humor, it’s never over the top. Cross Game is funny in the same way that a silly conversation with your friends is funny, not the way something like One Piece is funny.

I mentioned the baseball earlier as if it were a minor part of the series, but it is still extremely impressive. The techniques used are grounded and have real-world applications, and the slope at which the characters grow in strength is pragmatic. The tension is high, and legitimately so. It's fucking amazing. Yet, after all that, no one ever talks about it. It's at number 1055 in popularity, below the OVAs for Zero no Tsukaima, Maid Sama and One Punch Man. It's even below Yakitate Japan and Saiunkoku Monogatari, two shows that I'm decently sure only I've heard of.

The other underrated series would be Ashita no Joe, but I don't consider it as the most underrated one, because while Cross Game is popular nowhere, Joe is extremely famous in Japan and Italy.

For overrated? Steins;Gate. While Okabe was a really fun character, the second half brought him down immensely, bringing the whole show into a "dating sim" instead of the funny, well written, SoL it was before. However, after episode 22, I was still planning to give the show an 8. It still had a great aesthetic, a pro as fuck opening, and the first half was still really solid; on top of that, episodes 21 and 22 were great! So, despite the bland characters and bad structure, I was still going to consider it a great show... the last 2 episodes were flat out garbage, destroying everything the show worked for, thematically and with Okabe's character. It went from a strong 8, to a high 6-low 7 for me. Still a good-very good show, but massively overrated in my eyes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2016 3:15 PM

Aug 2014
tsudecimo said:
Klassical said:

Because it's graphic? hence the censorship?

Can you explain any of this? seems like you are just throwing adjectives around.

Graphic doesn't mean mature. And most kids will laugh at anime violence, its not terrifying at all.

I can explain ofcourse.

Animation: It was released in 2014, if i were to compare it to some shows released before it pales in comparison, Take Fate series for example, TTGL, AoT, even Clannad AS has better animation quality than Tokyo Ghoul.

What more? The story? the pacing is fucked up tbh, the whole monster Vs humans theme seems silly i couldn't take it seriously, those ghouls behaving like this in their cafeteria lol drinking coffee seems ridiculous, I'm sorry i cant take it seriously, the police department and how it handles the situation each time an accident occurs is kinda stupid, you can try Parasyte and see for yourself episode 17 and 18 and see the difference.
Characters? Also lame, the main character is your typical shounen that starts weak and then he gets better when he is angry, that lady that gave him the power

How can i care for those characters if the pacing was so bad and they never explain anything about them? i couldn't care about them, plus they are so edgy and emo that i actually hate them instead of feeling neutral about them, that sadistic ghoul is one of the worst, the whole police department is one-dimensional and lame, Touka was the "least bad" if i were to choose. The development is only for Kaneki and i didn't like how they developed him so fast, one of his friends

I can write much more but maybe this will satisfy you.

Sounds are good but not as everyone says, I didn't like the OP that much, the OST is good.
In terms of enjoyment it was meh.. the fighting style is a turn off and i really hated it, Kagune shit is the worst thing about Tokyo Ghoul.

I'm sure there is much more to say, but i will stop here, and because of what i wrote i consider it a bad anime and it being in the top 450 anime and at 310 in anime planet, i think its overrated. Well i forgot to say In my opinion.
Apr 26, 2016 3:24 PM
Jan 2016
KaiserNazrin said:
Ajin is so underrated. People didn't bother giving it a chance just because its full CGI but its one of my favorite anime from last season and last season was full of shit. At first it look like Tokyo Ghoul v2 but its quite different.

I completely agree with this and was just about to write the same thing.
I've had my friends tell me they won't watch it just for its art style, or because of the fact that it does look a lot like Tokyo Ghoul. Although I haven't finished it yet, I think it should be more well known.
Apr 26, 2016 3:25 PM

Jul 2013
Cejara said:
Illyricus said:

Tell me about it lol. This last arc is explained as the greatest threat that they will ever face. Its not just some shonen threat where the next baddie is stronger than the one before him either. This threat is huge and real where you would expect some serious casualities on both sides. Every enemy is over-hyped with some OP powers that make them unbeatable, but each enemy is used as fodder by one random asspull after the next. I don't think there was one fight to not be ass-pull fodder in the next arc yet xDDD. So yeah even though I like fairy tail, its waaaaay overrated.
Personally, I don't find Fairy Tail really that overrated. It's true its execution of the latest arc has been bad and unimpressive, but at least in MAL, is regarded as a bad shonen and it ranking it's not that high compared to some other shounens (like Nanatsu).
Apr 26, 2016 3:27 PM

Dec 2015
Illyricus said:
Cejara said:

Personally, I don't find Fairy Tail really that overrated. It's true its execution of the latest arc has been bad and unimpressive, but at least in MAL, is regarded as a bad shonen and it ranking it's not that high compared to some other shounens (like Nanatsu).

I guess it just seems that way with all the fanboys in the forum defending every little thing :P.
Apr 26, 2016 3:31 PM

Jul 2013
Klassical said:
Characters? Also lame, the main character is your typical shounen that starts weak and then he gets better when he is angry, that lady that gave him the power

Mod Edit: Removed baiting. Don't bait fandoms
TyrelApr 26, 2016 5:14 PM
Apr 26, 2016 3:31 PM

Nov 2012
Overrated: School Days

Some people think the MC is "unique and realistic" because he chooses to have sex with the girls who want him.

Some people think it's a "deconstruction of the harem genre" that points out how unrealistic harems are by not having the girls be ok with the MC cheating on them.

Not only do both of these opinions don't stand critically when you actually think about them and you understand a few simple things about the anime, but the message of "cheating is bad" is itself an overdone theme about a pretty standard moral rule that the show offers a very mediocre execution of it, there are better anime that have done this particular theme about unfaithfulness much better.

Not even mentioning the forgettable side-characters, the sub-par visuals, the bland ost, and how long it actually takes to get to the damn point, a 1-2 hour movie would have been much better for this show.
Apr 26, 2016 3:43 PM

Jun 2015
Z-Dante said:
AltoRoark said:
Underrated -

Myriad Colors Phantom World. I don't get the hate. I really don't. The characters are fun to watch and the battles are thrilling. It's full of energy, style, and top-notch animation to keep you on your toes. Sure, there were a couple episodes I found to be lacking, such as 7 and 10, but the show was worthwhile overall. Honestly, what were people expecting from it?
Episode 3-10 were totally useless and really went nowhere. And we were expecting some actual story instead of just SoL type development. That's why everyone is disappointed at KyoAnus.

And Tbh, the MC got the least amount of development in these first 10 episodes. That's why everyone ( including me ) is kinda pissed at the show.

The ending saved the show for me. If it wasn't good, this show would've gotten a 5 instead of 7 from me.
( and anything above 7 is kinda good and watchable by MAL standard )

They were useless because the whole show is episodic. I don't see how that's such a problem.
Apr 26, 2016 3:43 PM

Oct 2015
I guess I'll waste my time and write some shit for this dumb thread...

Overrated
- Hunter x Hunter 2011: By this I refer exclusively to the Chimera Ant arc where I feel the show loses everything that was great about it. It was creative, always had high energy and a good pace and then.... it gets all slow and tries to tell some weird ass story that has none of the magic or creativity of the earlier arcs. Plus Gon's optimistic, bright eyed, idiot self is lost in this arc... and there are too many characters.... I just generally think it kind of ruined the end of the show.

- Boku dake ga Inai Machi: I only actually watched like 5 episodes, but I didn't find it remotely entertaining. It had some amazing art direction though.

- Attack on Titan: Nothing really ever gets resolved... or explained in this show... things just happen and then they just drop plot threads to introduce more, and I guess the characters also forget about these plot threads? Also the main cast is really annoying, which is weird cause I for the most part like everyone outside the main three.

- Ergo Proxy: Very interesting premise, setting and general atmosphere that falls to shit as the series goes on. A better execution could have made this into an amazing work though.

- Ghost in the Shell (The movie): The story makes very little sense, and it is boring as balls. Teh artwork is really nice though and this is the beginning to probably the best cyberpunk setting ever. I have never seen a series that is able to establish its setting with visuals alone, while never having to explain ANYTHING. Too bad that the only good thing going for it, the show does more with the setting and is generally a huge improvement but I still find it immensely boring.

- I dunno most other things?

Underrated
- Mayoiga: I think the main reason people don't like this show is because they went into expecting something it is not. At its core its a campy thriller/mystery and the fact that people are complaining that the characters are shity archetypes baffles me. This is a 12 episode series with 32 characters, no shit they are not the highlight of the series! They only serve to further the mystery and the thriller, think of them like the people in a reality tv show. I wrote a whole spiel on this on my shitty blog if anyone is interested. its somewhere in here

- Xabungle (The early bits): I've never actually met someone who has watched this show, but the first like 20 or so episodes are actually pretty great and the setting itself is pretty amazing. If they remade this and removed the like 20 episodes of filler it would probably be pretty amazing.

- Mobile suit Gundam 0080: War In the Pocket: Not necessarily underrated but it is easily the best gundam show alongside 8th ms team yet is not anywhere near being among the most popular. If you are at all a fan of gundam you really need to watch it, plus its only 6 episodes!

- Robotics;Notes: People compare this show to Chaos;Head.... like... how even...
I mean its falls apart near the end, but I find it entertaining, plus I love the ost... like its probably in my top 3 osts of all anime.
Apr 26, 2016 3:44 PM

Jul 2015
Overrated-

Code Geass #11 anime of all time it was a convoluted mess that had no idea what it wanted to be and just threw in a bunch of tropes and overused elements along with taking most of it's basic premise from Death Note. The characters weren't anything special and the story as I said was a complete mess the writers didn't have a good goal in mind and the entire basis is flawed as Lelouch receives no backing for his intelligence except being able to play chess and then proceeds to prove he isn't intelligent by coming up with a ridiculous terrorist scheme to defeat his father when he could've flown over there, mind controlled everyone and killed him, series ends in 10 episodes. It was fun to watch and I did enjoy it somewhat but it is definitely not #11.

Erased I dropped after 5 episodes it had a fantastic 1st episode and everything after that fizzled out when I realized the main character was atrociously written supposedly a 29 year old when everything that is established about him in the first episode is thrown away for the writer to make it easier to move their simple story along. The series offered no explanation for anything aside from plot conveniences and the mystery was laughably easy to figure out. The series was average at best thanks to wonderful presentation by A-1 but #25 are you serious that's a joke when series like Mushishi, Monster, Tatami Galaxy, Shinsekai Yori, Ghost in the Shell, Ping Pong, Ergo Proxy, Welcome to the NHK, Psycho Pass, Serial Experiments Lain, and more rank below it.

Underrated-

Senyuu is ranked #1150 but it's absolutely hilarious and a wonderful parody on battle shounen and rpg. While series like Konosuba scoring an 8 and Senyuu only having a 7.5 when Konosuba was a sad excuse at a parody when it was literally just a generic harem in another world that tried to be funny like Senyuu but wasn't. If Konosuba is an 8 then Senyuu would be in the top 10 at this point.

Mononoke is actually fairly high rated as it has an 8.50 on the site but only 24,000 people actually rated it about half of the amount of people who gave Erased a 10... Anyways the series was gorgeous aesthetically, thought provoking, well executed, and entertaining. It one of the greatest experiences I have ever had with watching an anime and the fact that it only ranks 98 on best anime while series like Code Geass, Erased, Food Wars, Attack on Titan, No Game No Life, One Piece, Kabaneri, rank over it?!!!!!! Like what all those series weren't even near Mononoke's level of excellence in any manner be it character complexity, artistic presentation, personal significance, not even close Mononoke is something any fan should see but apparently they prefer simplicity and otaku pandering instead.

That's basically it there are more overrated anime, the one's I listed when talking about Mononoke, but the two I described are the most criminally overrated on this site. Saying an anime is underrated is tough because most of the ratings on the site are way too high but I think I explained the one's I picked well enough.
"Few, but ripe." - C.F. Gauss
Apr 26, 2016 3:51 PM

Oct 2015
Ugh I think ghost in a shell is extreamly overrated and sao too. Underrated I'd say princess tutu, that show is amazing but i dont hear people talk about it
Apr 26, 2016 3:57 PM

Dec 2012
Klassical said:

Graphic doesn't mean mature. And most kids will laugh at anime violence, its not terrifying at all.

Graphic and adult themes like violence, blood and gore determine what age this is targeted at. It doesn't matter if it's not mature in a philosophical sense. That's irrelevant. Anime still goes by the same broadcasting rules of live action television, again hence the censorship.

It has things fitted for an older audience and that's why.

Animation: It was released in 2014, if i were to compare it to some shows released before it pales in comparison, Take Fate series for example, TTGL, AoT, even Clannad AS has better animation quality than Tokyo Ghoul.

So what? any anime has some other anime that are better animated than it. It also doesn't help that you are citing examples of anime made from Uftoable and Kyo ani which are both small studios that don't have a busy schedule like Pierrot. The animation wasn't average, at least 3 episodes stood out, episode 12 and 8 from what I remember. Nothing worthy of criticism, either way.

What more? The story? the pacing is fucked up tbh, the whole monster Vs humans theme seems silly i couldn't take it seriously, those ghouls behaving like this in their cafeteria lol drinking coffee seems ridiculous, I'm sorry i cant take it seriously, the police department and how it handles the situation each time an accident occurs is kinda stupid, you can try Parasyte and see for yourself episode 17 and 18 and see the difference.

You are not really explaining anything. You are actively rejecting the premise because you find it silly. What is silly about Ghouls working at a coffee shop..? I don't know what you interpreted Ghouls as but aside from being predators and being biologically different, they act like humans. Much like vampires in any other fiction.

There is a special unit designed for protection against Ghoul. So not sure what you are referring to with the police.

Difference in what? story as whole? Parasyte story is infinitely weaker than TG's and it's much simpler. It only has the protagonist and his relationship with the parasyte, everything else is just passable.
How can i care for those characters if the pacing was so bad and they never explain anything about them? i couldn't care about them, plus they are so edgy and emo that i actually hate them instead of feeling neutral about them, that sadistic ghoul is one of the worst, the whole police department is one-dimensional and lame, Touka was the "least bad" if i were to choose. The development is only for Kaneki and i didn't like how they developed him so fast

No he doesn't. He never once got stronger when angry, I don't think you paid any attention. He only exhibited strength when he fights as a Ghoul to save himself or someone else. She didn't give him a power, he turned into a Ghoul after the surgery.

They did explain Kankei, Touka characters among others and showed their backstories. In episode 12 it dwells on Kankei's psyche, showing why he is this way, and how his personality came to be. Edgy? emo? mhmm maybe I should have just shrugged this off as someone that just didn't like it.
Apr 26, 2016 4:01 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Oh boy, dis gun b gud
I'm usually pretty shit to explain stuffs but i'll do my best.

OVERRATED :
5 Centimeters per seconds

Charlotte

Clannad (and a little bit of After story too)

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata

UNDERRATED :

Arakawa Under the Bridge

Kemonozume

Kyousou Giga (TV)

White Album 2

And i'm fucking done.
DatRandomDudeApr 26, 2016 4:06 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 26, 2016 4:21 PM

Jan 2014
Klassical said:
I would like to add one more Anime to the Overrated list that I've made at page 2.

It's considered seinen because it's an adaptation of a manga that's being published in a seinen magazine, not because it's "mature". Building one's expectations of a show/manga based on its target demographic alone is usually a bad idea. (I mean, A Choice With No Regrets was published a in a damn shoujo mag).
SapewlothApr 26, 2016 11:50 PM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Apr 26, 2016 4:25 PM

Apr 2015
I don't know about underrated, but Angel Beats is definitely the most overrated anime that I've seen.

The characters are bland and generic, (You've got the MC with no personality, the Tsundere love interest, the mysterious Kuudere, and everyone else are just for comic relief) The story was incredibly dull and pointless and went ultimately nowhere for nearly the entire series until the ending, which was so melodramatic, and obviously trying way too hard to be sad, plus the gaping plot hole.

It did have potential, the idea of it was pretty cool, but despite the horribly slow pacing it still managed to be completely rushed, and wasted all it's time on dumb comic relief and attempting to create some sort of "conflict" rather than developing the story or any of the characters. Another thing that bugged me was that they had this cool idea of an afterlife, and instead of doing anything interesting with it, they set it in a high school of all things, as if there haven't been enough high school anime...

And despite all the problems with it, this show (that I know of) gets virtually no hate, so I went into it with pretty high expectations, which made it really disappointing.
Apr 26, 2016 5:11 PM

Dec 2012
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:
T
For overrated? Steins;Gate. While Okabe was a really fun character, the second half brought him down immensely, bringing the whole show into a "dating sim" instead of the funny, well written, SoL it was before. However, after episode 22, I was still planning to give the show an 8. It still had a great aesthetic, a pro as fuck opening, and the first half was still really solid; on top of that, episodes 21 and 22 were great! So, despite the bland characters and bad structure, I was still going to consider it a great show... the last 2 episodes were flat out garbage, destroying everything the show worked for, thematically and with Okabe's character. It went from a strong 8, to a high 6-low 7 for me. Still a good-very good show, but massively overrated in my eyes.

What? Steins;Gate is a time travel story, it was never a comedy slice of life work. There was literally only one episode that was a date, so I don't see how it became a dating sim in the second half.

Gotta say it's very weird seeing someone say the first half was great and the second half was bad. It's always the opposite.
Apr 26, 2016 5:14 PM

Mar 2014
tsudecimo said:
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:
T

What? Steins;Gate is a time travel story, it was never a comedy slice of life work. There was literally only one episode that was a date, so I don't see how it became a dating sim in the second half.

Gotta say it's very weird seeing someone say the first half was great and the second half was bad. It's always the opposite.

Just because there isn't more than one date it doesn't mean it doesn't feel like a shitty adaptation of a bunch of visual novel routes. What I'm saying is that the adaptation structure does not work well here.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2016 5:20 PM

Jan 2013
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:
tsudecimo said:

Just because there isn't more than one date it doesn't mean it doesn't feel like a shitty adaptation of a bunch of visual novel routes. What I'm saying is that the adaptation structure does not work well here.
How so? For a lot of people, the show's structure made the general adaptation work really well. Usually, visual novel adaptations are hit-or-miss but Steins;gate hit all the good points.
Apr 26, 2016 5:21 PM

Mar 2014
95PercentCaim said:
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:

How so? For a lot of people, the show's structure worked really well. Usually, visual novel adaptations are hit-or-miss but Steins;gate hit all the good points.

Okay... for a lot of people, but not for me, along with literally all of my friends. That's the problem: S;G tried to be all inclusive. It tried to have it's cake and eat it too, and it just became a mess.
Apr 26, 2016 5:25 PM

Jan 2013
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:
95PercentCaim said:
How so? For a lot of people, the show's structure worked really well. Usually, visual novel adaptations are hit-or-miss but Steins;gate hit all the good points.

Okay... for a lot of people, but not for me, along with literally all of my friends. That's the problem: S;G tried to be all inclusive. It tried to have it's cake and eat it too, and it just became a mess.
You're not explaining why. You're just repeating yourself. How did it become a mess? I have a lot of friends who thought it was a solid adaptation.
Apr 26, 2016 5:27 PM

Mar 2014
95PercentCaim said:
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:

You're not explaining why. You're just repeating yourself. How did it become a mess? I have a lot of friends who thought it was a solid adaptation.

Plz stop bringing up your friends. It doesn't mean shit in this case. I have a bunch of friends who agree with me. Gigguk and Arkada agree with me. I JUST DID EXPLAIN WHY! You can't completely switch the tone and focus of a show half way through!
Apr 26, 2016 5:34 PM

Jan 2013
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:
95PercentCaim said:

Plz stop bringing up your friends. It doesn't mean shit in this case. I have a bunch of friends who agree with me. Gigguk and Arkada agree with me. I JUST DID EXPLAIN WHY! You can't completely switch the tone and focus of a show half way through!
Uh, yes you can change the focus and tone of a show. That's how narratives work. You have the exposition, inciting incident, climax, reaction, and epilogue. The first half were simply exposition and set-up for the inciting incident that occurred at the beginning of the second half. You seem to have analyzed the show wrong anyways, thinking it was a comedy, slice-of-life when it never really was one to begin with.

Also, how come you can bring up your friends' opinion but I can't? Seems logically unfair to me.
Gigguk and Arkada are also hacks. Their opinions are irrelevant. I just want to hear your opinion. I could care less about two literally-who otakus.
Apr 26, 2016 5:50 PM

Mar 2014
95PercentCaim said:
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:

Uh, yes you can change the focus and tone of a show. That's how narratives work. You have the exposition, inciting incident, climax, reaction, and epilogue. The first half were simply exposition and set-up for the inciting incident that occurred at the beginning of the second half. You seem to have analyzed the show wrong anyways, thinking it was a comedy, slice-of-life when it never really was one to begin with.

Also, how come you can bring up your friends' opinion but I can't? Seems logically unfair to me.
Gigguk and Arkada are also hacks. Their opinions are irrelevant. I just want to hear your opinion. I could care less about two literally-who otakus.

I was saying that my friends' opinions mean just as much as yours in this case. Arkada and Gigguk suck, I was making fun of you lol.

No, you can't do a jarring tonal shift half way through a show.
Apr 26, 2016 5:51 PM

Jan 2013
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:
Yes you can. Tone shifts are always used in narratives. Your favorite show, Gurren Lagann, had a huge tonal shift in narrative when Kamina died, in fact.
Apr 26, 2016 6:01 PM
Jul 2015
5 Underrated/Under-watched/Not talked about Anime

As you all must know this site is filled with an absolute cesspool of casuals, elitists, memers, and overall just shit people. In this maelstrom of a site where bad opinions are plenty and everything is a hug box popularity contest, many anime are left in the shadows, unlawfully forgotten and left in the dust by all these young, casual, whippersnappers. The shows I will list are necessary watching and are likely better than 95% of the anime ahead of them on this site. They are under-watched, underrated, or simply never talked about. Some of these shows have obviously been seen or heard of before by many people. But as said previously these shows are here either because they don't get the credit they deserve or have simply not been watched enough. These shows will be ordered randomly. EVERY show on this list should be watched no matter what.

1. http://myanimelist.net/anime/4639/Gosenzo-sama_Banbanzai
-Quite possibly the most unknown great anime ever made. This show is an extremely unique and unorthodox comedy series. The dialogue is great, the visuals are phenomenal, and the storytelling is the definition of controlled chaos. Absolutely hilarious, a ton of fun, and an experience you won't soon forget.

2. http://myanimelist.net/anime/3369/Shoubushi_Densetsu_Tetsuya
-A show about a group of people in a rundown town doing anything to survive. How do they survive? By playing Mahjong for money of course! However, not is as it all seems. I'm referring to the fact that everybody needs to cheat to win. That's right. This makes the encounters significantly more interesting because everybody has a different method of cheating and the consequences of losing is that you'll go hungry. This grounds the series in reality and makes everything feel gritty and realistic. Visually the show is unimpressive, but it sports a fitting soundtrack and great cast, especially the main character. A thrilling experience.

3. http://myanimelist.net/anime/1288/Mobile_Police_Patlabor__Early_Days
-Although Patlabor is a well known mecha series, this OVA is criminally under-watched. A show based around the operations of a police force of gorgeous mecha, dealing with the everyday problems that pester a futuristic society. The animation and art is great and is truly a wonder for its time. A peculiarly light hearted but simultaneously dense series by Mamuro Oshii that harbors one of the best female leads in anime. Real robot has never been so good.

4. http://myanimelist.net/anime/2724/Daicon_Opening_Animations
-The Daicon Opening animations are certainly well known, but it seems like nobody watches them now and days. This is a grave mistake. The opening salvo from the legendary studio Gainax, these opeining animations could be considered to be the first and quite possibly the best AMV's ever made. The first one from 1981 is a bit rough around the edges but the second one is mind blowing. Showcasing extremely smooth animation from the likes of Hideaki Anno, the staff for these AMV's was quite small, but this didn't stop them from creating a veritable trailer for the nerd world. With a sexy bunny girl, a nice message, and amazing animation to the tune of a classic song by the illustrious Electric Light Orchestra, these Daicon Opening Animations are an absolute pleasure to watch.

5. http://myanimelist.net/anime/785/Otaku_no_Video
-A nostalgic tale that tells, through different personas, the rise of studio Gainax. It also chronicles the lives of otaku in the 1980's, shedding a unique light on Japanese nerd culture at the time, as well as the disposition of the creators of Gainax themselves. Wacky, strange, and well animated; this OVA is a time capsule.
Apr 26, 2016 6:05 PM

Dec 2015
DragonSlayer_19 said:
Arslan senki is underrated imo not because of it's rating on mal mainly , but also because i think it's overshadowed by akatsuki no Yona which many see as better . Not trying to create an X vs Y here . Actually I like AnY . Imo arslan senki is a very interesting story based on the novel it's taken from , and the MC (the prince Arslan )though not powerful or OP as many would love but at least gives credit to his companions whenever he gets the chance and treats them as friends not tools . And we see his resolve becomes stronger as the series advance . There isn't anyone in Arslan's group who I disliked from the mighty daryuun to the graceful farangis to the womanizer gieve :p

Pardon my English. I'm agree with you, I really like how the story goes as Arslan is growing up as a prince. At first I thought it might be boring with weak, stubborn, childish and naive personality thing that will save everyone but I really like how smooth is the story flows, less drama I think and how the writer put arslan as like thats how a prince should be and himself is not perfect. And ya you are right, Arslan knows himself weak but not being a crybaby thing and respecting his companions. Well I was surprised that this anime is underrated since I gave it 9 score out of 6-10 XD Imo, its not a good idea to rate anime by comparing it to other anime, isn't it?
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Apr 26, 2016 6:11 PM

Aug 2014
@tsudecimo

Lets divide your points by number (by order)

1) Okay, and i dont agree with their classification, Violence and Gore in anime isn't necessarily for adults, I will repeat it, I dont agree with this classification.

2) So yes!! LoL, It is not my problem if its a different studio, Tokyo Ghoul animation is far from great, if i were to give it a score it would be 6/10, and yea 6 is almost average, if you're debating for that 0.5 point then whatever.
And why i cant compare its animation with another animation? why i cant? You know what? Yes i can.

3) How Am I not explaining anything? let me make this easier for you.

A- Pacing: I think the pacing is bad, it is rushed and it doesn't have the patience to go deeper into the events to make them better executed.
If you tsudecimo find this kind of pacing to be good then, this is your opinion. In my point of view this pacing is terrible in tokyo ghoul, maybe in other anime i will find it appropriate but in TG i didn't. So far so good??

B- Monster Vs Humans theme:- This has been done before and better than Tokyo Ghoul, And Yes!, In my opinion...opinion Ghouls behaving like this is silly and prevents me from taking the horror/dark elements seriously, and by the way i also think vampire stories are shit.
Ghouls in Tokyo Ghoul= Vampires in Twilight...Both are portrayed badly, if you check out the old folklore stories about these creatures you will find that the way they present them in some entertainment to be stupid.

And I repeat, Maybe YOU in your opinion this presentation of those beings is good, i find it stupid however.

C- Parasyte story is weaker? and just the MC relationship with the parasyte? hmmmm LOL.
Fine your opinion, I dont agree with this.

4) Yes, he did become stronger once he was angry at the end, he accepts himself as a ghoul and then transformed, it was pretty cool scene but i think its the only good scene lol.
He became a ghoul after the surgery, but thats because of that woman that transformed him, This is from its Wiki: "everything soon changed after he had Rize Kamishiro's kakuhou transplanted into him and became a one-eyed ghoul"

Yes that women is the one responsible for his power.

They didn't present the characters in a good way, it was rushed and they never gave details about them which made me not care about them.
Maybe for YOU it was enough, but for ME it wasn't.

I think its edgy and emo characters, yes, maybe you dont agree with me, its fine.

5) Finally: Yes I just didn't like it, because if i were to rate it by enjoyment it would still be bad, the fighting still was a turn off for me, it was not cool, it was lame.
maybe YOU found that style to be awesome, your opinion dude.

Lets say I think its bad because of those things, like I dont like it because the story was etc etc, the characters etc (as i told you above).
Maybe for you this kind of stories is awesome and you felt the characters were very likable, maybe you related well to the characters. Okay...its fine.
As for me those things affected my enjoyment negatively.

@Sapewloth
I haven't read the mange but i doubt it is targeted at adult audience, In my point of view Tokyo Ghoul is 13+ and Its going to be really hard to change my opinion about this matter. Elfen Lied also is 13+
Apr 26, 2016 6:36 PM

Mar 2014
95PercentCaim said:
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:
Yes you can. Tone shifts are always used in narratives. Your favorite show, Gurren Lagann, had a huge tonal shift in narrative when Kamina died, in fact.

TTGL's tonal shift was way more foreshadowed, and I also consider it a flaw in TTGL. Though, that is not when the tonal shift happens. It happens with the timeskip
Pages (85) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 2 hours ago

9 by jieanteater »»
2 minutes ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

57 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

80 by Ryuseishun »»
22 minutes ago

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 6 hours ago

10 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
24 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

66 by J4T »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.