Forum Settings
Forums
Apr 23, 2016 7:21 PM

Including the 2015 movie what order does ghost in the shell go? I understand there are different universes but not sure what belongs to which thanks.

Apr 23, 2016 7:38 PM

Well, there's a bunch of alternative settings, alternative versions, etc. Thus, it can be hard to determine that.

As for myself, I watched some of them and in this order:
I felt like this order was pretty good, but it may not be the right one. Also, I really enjoyed both TV series (third and fourth one in the list) more than everything else. In my opinion, GITS has some really good anime adaptations, I hope you have fun watching them!

Apr 23, 2016 8:52 PM

This is the order I would watch them in.

(Arise Universe)
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:1 Ghost Pain
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:2 Ghost Whispers
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:3 Ghost Tears
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:4 Ghost Stands Alone
Ghost in the Shell (2015)

(Stand Alone Complex Universe)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

(Movie Universe)
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence [Though it's a direct sequel it seems like another universe]

Ghost in the Shell has several different timelines (I'm sure the live action movie in 2017 will create yet another timeline)

Ghost in the Shell:Arise seems to be a difference universe, Mokoto has blue hair and blue eyes and while it is supposed to be the past things aren't nearly as advanced as they are in others versions of Ghost in the Shell and it seems to be set in Tokyo, also Arise wasn't that good.

Ghost in the Shell (1995) has Mokoto with black hair and blue eyes and it's supposed to be set in Hong Kong. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is supposed to be a direct sequel to the 1995 movie but it's more Noir and in the 1995 movie people were driving futuristic cars. In Innocence people are driving 1930's-1950's style cars to make it seem more Noir, it's interesting but it doesn't seem like the same universe at all even though it's supposed to be.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has Mokoto with purple hair and brown eyes and it seems to be set in Tokyo.

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 is just an "enhanced" version of the 1995 movie with pointless CGI tossed in it to replace some scenes, I prefer it in 2D though. It's part of the moie universe

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - Individual Eleven and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man were just recap movies of the series so they aren't needed. They are part of the Stand Alone Complex universe though.

Apr 23, 2016 11:12 PM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

Moved from Anime Discussion

Apr 23, 2016 11:34 PM

MattKitsune96 said it all. I'd only add that you should start either with SAC or the movie universe (because they're better than Arise)

Apr 24, 2016 5:43 AM

It doesn't matter whether you start with the Oshii Movie's universe or the Stand Alone Complex universe, but I would strongly advise against watching Arise until you've watched all the other stuff.

Also MAL needs to stop listing Ghost in the Shell (2015) as a prequel to the 1995 Oshii Movie because the Watch order (or lack thereof) of Ghost in the Shell causes enough confusion as it is already.

Mar 4, 2017 8:50 PM

In anticipation for the new live action film, I have put a n order together that outlines the easiest way to watch the franchise while being in complete chronological order (if they were all in the same continuation).

Remakes and summaries are listed after a "/" so it doesn't matter which one in a particular line you watch.

1. GitS: Arise / Alternative Architecture [Set in 2027]

2. GitS (2015) [Set in 2027]

3. GitS / GitS 2.0 / GitS (2017) [Set in 2029]

4. GitS: SAC / The Laughing Man [Set in 2030]

5. GitS: SAC 2nd GIG / Individual Eleven ( + Innocence ) [Set in 2032]

6. GitS: SAC - Solid State Society / 3D Remake [Set in 2034]

Preview MangaManga Store