Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo Episode 1 Discussion

Jan 30, 2018 3:41 AM

Hmmmm...that's it? Just a downer, star-crossed lovers ending? I expected more considering how long I put this off. This turned out to be more Groundhogs Day than Back to the Future, only much goofier. By the time it really decided to get serious with the Chiaki reveal , which admittedly was somewhat foreshadowed in hindsight, it was too late. Well I dunno....I guess they possibly could still end up together with a sizable age difference, but the future Chiaki described seemed rather shitty anyway. No baseball? No opened streams or rivers or whatever he said? This movie really left some disturbing undertones in its quest for a bittersweet ending. Plus I'm still not sure how the time travel exit points were chosen, at least not for Makoto. That must be some mad brilliant technology if she was picking her spots at will, but half the time it didn't seem like that. How clumsy feeling to me...I dunno. And I can't exactly take their love too seriously considering in one version she later cancelled Chiaki was starting to get together with Makoto's friend. Plus I wasn't a big fan of the art except the backgrounds which were just serviceable. That image of Makoto on the poster looked nicer than she actually did in the movie. Definitely disappointed by this, generous 7 out of 10.

Feb 7, 2018 3:19 PM

Would've been nice for Chiaki and Makoto finding each other in the future as he promised. When I checked at the end of the credits Nada, just some stupid photo recaps. I loved this movie and Makoto was a brilliant indecisive character, that's she never got no kiss in the end.

Nonetheless it was fun but short, I wish it was longer for a 1:38 min movie.

7/10.
"You know the rules, kill them all and keep moving "--- Lil Wayne- John

Feb 10, 2018 12:24 AM

That was definitely a great movie the ending was great as well, loved the fact that she will work do create that device to go to the future a great development for Makoto. 8/10
Avoiding spoilers be like

Aug 31, 2018 1:42 AM
This movie is really good!!

Sep 24, 2018 2:43 PM

considering how time travel usually gets the worst results possible I was seriously expecting more drama, was a pleasant surprise that this was rather friendly.

Sympathic characters, decent art and OST.

The whole romamnce thing seems more like a typical teenage romance you have for a short time only. So Im not really to sad about the ending.

Was a nice watch, nothing life changing, no deeper themes. Barely the standard coming of age. 8/10 for now. Might drop it to 7/10 later

PS: all this over a painting, wow.
Modified by Comander-07, Sep 24, 2018 2:46 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Dec 14, 2018 7:31 AM

The direction of this movie is really clever, it gives a fun little story even more personality. Have to love the casual reveal that the dude's from the future. Everything is so mundane, but that's a good thing. Appreciate the stills they chose for the ending credits too.

It takes a lot to make me feel engaged to the setting and characters in an anime movie, but I was totally invested from beginning to end.

Gotta admit, Takase is an interesting incidental character, he doesn't take shit from anyone.

The first time I heard about this film was through an AMV that really made an impression on me (on megavideo of all places). I remember the title of the video being in Japanese, and I hard to ask around the net to figure out what it was. Despite all of that, I never watched it until now. The only thing I remember from that video specifically are the baseball and bike scenes.
Modified by syncrogazer, Dec 14, 2018 7:39 AM

Dec 19, 2018 2:51 PM

"Time waits for no one", huh.

This is at least the third time I've watched this one, and it's a good movie. It has funny moments, serious moments, and its message is consistent I guess. But the conclusion still feels lacking/off.

Chiaki came from the future to see that painting, and he was gone before he could do it. Makoto told him that she would do her best to preserve it, and he told her that he would be waiting for her in the future. This may be only innocent/earnest promises they made each other, but as a viewer I feel like I was left hanging on somehow. Going by the little Chiaki told her about his future, it's a really far off one, it doesn't seem feasible that they will meet again someday, or that she will truly be able to keep her promise of preserving that painting.

But well, he came for the painting, but he stayed because of Kousuke, and especially Makoto. He even fell in love with her so maybe he got way more than what he came for, but it is still lackluster. Makes me wonder if she couldn't pretend to not know anything after going back in time for the last time, and just keep living with Chiaki, and Kousuke like that. I mean, she sorted her feelings, and even though he had to go back someday (I think he had to?), he wouldn't have confessed to her if he were in a hurry, and the memories of the time they spent together stayed in the end, so a 'happy ending' felt possible, but it may be just me.

That moment in which she sees Kousuke, and Kaho dying right in front of her, unable to prevent it because of her previous poor choices, always gets me. Chiaki going back in time to save them erased this memory, and she won't have to live with it, but it must have been awful, and a terrible sight.

Dec 23, 2018 11:55 PM

Really good movie. If it ended with
, this would have been a 9/10 film for me at least. Somehow, the way it ended here felt slightly like a cop-out. Not bad by any means, but less impactful. 8/10 for me.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.

Feb 16, 9:22 PM

One of the most disappointing movies I've seen in the past few years. Overrated pile of shit, I can't believe I even managed to sit through the entire thing.

Feb 26, 2:23 AM
That ending had me bawling. Overall a great anime movie that could watch over and over again

Feb 26, 2:25 AM
Mashta said:
One of the most disappointing movies I've seen in the past few years. Overrated pile of shit, I can't believe I even managed to sit through the entire thing.
Do you mind actually explaining why you think its trash rather than just saying *i hate it*

Apr 6, 6:02 AM
Keldeowarrior said:
Do you mind actually explaining why you think its trash rather than just saying *i hate it*

I sure hope they do. I loved the Movie, finally watched it after 2 years of keeping it in PTW, wish I had seen this sooner. Rating 10/10 because I'm too generous (I cried goddamit!)

May 18, 8:59 PM
thE ENDING MAKES ME SUPER FRUSTRATED OMG YALL I-

May 19, 5:46 AM

So...
This was pretty darn mediocre. Not at all what I expected. A good reminder to never believe even the slightest amount of hype.

Pages (10) « First ... « 8 9 [10]