Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 10, 2016 10:29 PM
Jul 2012
Note:
Subaru is meant to be a dumb MC that will develop over time. Oh, and I mean over a lot of time. You don't even need to speculate, he is meant to be that way. He does things by trial and error, and is probably as dumb as you were when you fail miserably at Dark Souls at first. Do you remember the time when you started G-Rank in MH and kept dying like a noob? Never played those games? Oh well, at least you get to experience it from now on. (BTW, G-Rank isn't even that hard. I never found it too difficult, unless I don't prepare at all). You'll probably be complaining for a lot of episodes, so instead of polluting the episode discussion threads, how about doing it over here? I believe this will allow for more room to discuss and speculate what will happen/what people hope to happen in the regular episode threads. (This is not a troll thread)

I'll keep updating the post with whatever kind of comments people have of Subaru for each episode. This is to keep it entertaining so you guys will come back instead of screaming in the regular threads over how dumb Subaru is and how much you want him to never exist. Perhaps this thread can be used to show the development of Subaru over time.

Episode 1: (All taken from episode threads)
-| Self-awared otaku is an annoying character trait
-| Why didn't he immediately realized he "reloaded from a savepoint" if he is aware of so many LN tropes?
-| Subaru is a clueless idiot; a complete and utter moron. The MC is fucking retarded, dumb af, mentally slow on another level.
-| Subaru doesn't care about where he is and how he got to those places
-| Why is the MC suffering from partial amnesia, or voice recognition disorder or whatever and thinking that it is the next day?
-| Why can he suddenly throw a punch?
-| Needs to become more smart before acting. Seems like he likes to screw himself over.
-| He realized he was in a different world immediately, but didn't know he was "time traveling".
-| Subaru is a little slow...more like...very slow.
-| He has the MC syndrome of trying to help everyone without really giving an explanation.
-| It was stupid of him to call Satella out when she doesn't know him.
-| He acts wishy washy with enemies
-| Too inexperienced and undeveloped
-| MC is denser than a neutron star
SamhiuyApr 10, 2016 10:56 PM
Apr 10, 2016 10:43 PM
Jul 2018
Not sure you can really say if he's extremely smart or extremely dumb just based off of the first 2 episodes...
Apr 10, 2016 10:54 PM
Jul 2018
Senpaoi said:
Not sure you can really say if he's extremely smart or extremely dumb just based off of the first 2 episodes...
Dude he's a supporter for this anime. He's talking about the actual "smart ones" in episode 2 discussion thread.

Samhiuy said:

Episode 1:
-| Self-awared otaku is an annoying character trait
-| Why didn't he immediately realized he "reloaded from a savepoint" if he is aware of so many LN tropes?
-| Subaru is a clueless idiot; a complete and utter moron.
-| Subaru doesn't care about where he is and how he got to those places
-| Why is the MC suffering from partial amnesia, or voice recognition disorder or whatever and thinking that it is the next day?
-| Why can he suddenly throw a punch?
-| Needs to become more smart before acting. Seems like he likes to screw himself over.
-| He realized he was in a different world immediately, but didn't know he was "time traveling".
-| Subaru is a little slow...more like...very slow.
-| He has the MC syndrome of trying to help everyone without really giving an explanation.

But really, people had those types of complaints? I just don't even. I really just...sigh.Typical MAL. At least it's not tumblr.
removed-userApr 10, 2016 10:57 PM
Apr 10, 2016 11:04 PM
Jul 2015
Honestly, the fact that it took so long for the reloading concept to enter his mind is my only problem with him. What kind of NEET take that long to come to terms with that?
Apr 10, 2016 11:13 PM

Oct 2014
Abother complaint is how his actions it is weird how his actions never show any sign of him being a introvert even though he proclaims himself a neet hikkikomori
Apr 10, 2016 11:24 PM

Jan 2013
gabrielrroiz said:
Abother complaint is how his actions it is weird how his actions never show any sign of him being a introvert even though he proclaims himself a neet hikkikomori

Just because you stay indoors doesn't mean you're socially incompetent.

The author is a hikikomori and he wrote this after all.
Apr 10, 2016 11:51 PM

Nov 2007
It's difficult to like completely dumb MCs as well as MCs that are made to be thought as intelligent when they are not.
It's easy to neither like a coward of an MC nor an unreasonable MC who would put himself in danger unnecessarily.
It's difficult to root for Over Powered MCs as well unless for a reason or think highly of a complete wuss of an MC.
It's also easy to neither admire an MC of too much sense of righteousness nor a selfish MC.

I dunno what applies to Subaru at this point. I have not seen MCs like him. In fact, it's pretty hard to find an MC like him who seem to possess all the negative traits, amazingly of the polar opposites of the character traits from one scene to another (too positive ones that tend to be seen as negative). It's been 3 episodes yet I dunno whether he is completely dumb or actually very intelligent, whether he is only a coward or would put himself in harms way overcoming fear, whether he is selfish or have sense of righteousness, whether he can hold fort on his own or just die from a knife held by a random mugger.

I seriously dunno.

One good thing I noticed is that though that he seems to be a bit perplexed after he restarts from zero (in front of the appa store) every time but as he restarts, he retains knowledge from the past and acts upon it with the little time, resources and clues he has. I also noticed one thing though, the more time he has restarted the more he has tended to have gotten smarter which seems like a plus at this point.

Overall, I can say I don't dislike the MC at this point.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 11, 2016 12:11 AM

Mar 2015
Rather than developing... we'd probably seeing him falling to despair... well you know... this anime revolves around the concept of dying over and over again.

Though I can't believe people are complaining about Subaru's "idiocy". He thought the first loop was a bad hallucination, the second loop was still feeling uncertain, and finally third loop he realized it. If I were in his position, I think I'd also think it as a bad dream or hallucination of my chuunibyouness. Since you won't really believe that you just had been killed 3 seconds ago.

P.S. I totally love the references in this thread lol. Karen Page from Daredevil, Batman, Potato GLaDOS from Portal, and of course our messiah Hououin Kyouma
DarklordVorApr 11, 2016 12:15 AM

Apr 11, 2016 12:12 AM

Mar 2010
I don't think this thread is necessary but at least it will episodic discussion threads will be clean.

DarklordVor said:
Rather than developing... we'd probably seeing him falling to despair... well you know... this anime revolves around the concept of dying over and over again.

According to be who have read the WN he does develop, half of the 3rd Arc is basically about that. Despite how might look at first this story is actually a traditional hero's journey, it's only that Subaru has go through much harsher trails than most heroes do. Guts from Berserk is probably the only character compared to what he has go through to save people important and himself.

He comes out the better for it though.
Iron_MawApr 11, 2016 12:24 AM
Apr 11, 2016 12:29 AM

Mar 2015
Jagd84 said:
I don't think this thread is necessary but at least it will episodic discussion threads will be clean.

DarklordVor said:

According to be who have read the WN he does develop, half of the 3rd Arc is basically about that. Despite how might look at first this story is actually a traditional hero's journey, it's only that Subaru has go through much harsher trails than most heroes do. Guts from Berserk is probably the only character compared to what he has go through to save people important and himself.

He comes out the better for it though.

Apr 11, 2016 2:42 AM

Mar 2010
I know that, my point is that he eventually overcomes his difficulties. Basically there is point to his struggles.
Iron_MawApr 11, 2016 3:18 AM
Apr 11, 2016 7:45 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Literally everyone who already complains about the MC here is being a wannabe smartass. That has been annoying me to no end.
Apr 11, 2016 8:04 AM

Nov 2011
If the synopsis hasn't given it away, I'm sure people will be just as confuse as Subaru was when he reset. It could've been a dream or hallucination.

Apr 11, 2016 5:26 PM

May 2009
TOO FUCKING EARLY FOR THIS KIND OF THREADS
Apr 14, 2016 4:04 AM
Oct 2013
The amount of iron in this thread is too damn high!

Imagine you've been in the same situation. Would you figure everything out in your first Re:?

MC figures everything on 3rd Re: - MC is too dumb
MC figures everything on 1st Re: - MC is too smart, omfghax1337overpowered MC

For Satoru's sake, either way you'll say something opposing.
ExplodingGirlApr 14, 2016 5:30 AM
Apr 15, 2016 10:27 AM
Oct 2009
OP conclude mc character based on first episode, dont they usually come saying it the best show ever after the end of the series?
Apr 15, 2016 11:39 AM
Jul 2012
panzer101 said:
OP conclude mc character based on first episode, dont they usually come saying it the best show ever after the end of the series?

You know, I underlined the first sentence in my opening post for a reason. I said it with absolute certainty because I know what happens afterward, and that a lot of people will be hating on Subaru. That is the reason why I created this thread, to keep people here. Also, it's a fact that Subaru is meant to be your average kid that isn't super intelligent. Ask any LN reader and you'll know. It's not based on the first episode alone.

The character is meant to be that way. If people want to complain, do it over here. You guys have every right to say he is dumb, but please don't destroy the episode discussion threads with "Subaru is dumb" comments. Simple as that. Nothing wrong with not liking the MC, but just keep it out of the threads where people want to discuss what happens next. Simple as that.
Apr 15, 2016 12:27 PM
May 2015
Man, I thought this thread was going to be about how people don't like the Subaru Cars..I mean, everyone hates Subaru's car but whatever...

On a more serious note...

It's only the 2nd episode. It's WAY TOO EARLY to judge someone's character.

Apr 15, 2016 1:35 PM
Mar 2014
It's just my first impressions, but I really like how Subaru is genre-savvy and somewhat competent. He even fought off those three goons when he really tried. That's why it was so jarring when he couldn't figure out that he was time looping for so long. I mean, he figured out immediately that he got summoned into another world.
Apr 16, 2016 6:52 AM

Mar 2010
Genre savvyness has nothing to do rationality. I wish people would understand this. The very first episode spent 5 minutes showing hop pointless his pop fantasy culture knowledge so any he should have known he was looping because of that seems completely missed the point of that part.

And literally only took a few hours to figure it out (the 2nd iteration ended in the afternoon and third one came to and end in the morning just after he found Satella again) and he never retraced an of his steps beyond one or two points (he spent entirety of the 2nd loop in warehouse and most of 3rd with Satella).

Furthermore if you going through what Subaru and automatically realize your looping the first time instead of thinking whole as deja vu or a bad dream you might problems telling fantasy apart from reality to begin with. It's not something a sane people would believe without proof, at least when he was transported to fantasy world it was something he could perceive due all the Lizard people and whatnot running around.
Iron_MawMay 9, 2016 3:00 PM
Apr 16, 2016 8:33 AM

Mar 2016
So people dislike him ?

He seemed like a likeable guy to me though .
May 9, 2016 11:35 AM

Jun 2010
Well I like Subaru. It's great to have this kind of main characters every now and then, who will develop and grow over the time. He's not completely "useless" since he knows lots of stuff about alternative worlds (doesn't matter if it's just because he's played much), and also he isn't shocked or anything even he's in a weird world.
Also normally people would just turn their backs to Satella (or whatever her name is atm), because they don't know her and therefor don't wanna suffer over something she lost. So Subaru is very kind and capable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2016 11:58 PM

Apr 2015
As someone who has went (watched let's plays) through impossible mario hacks and spam abusing save states, I really can't complain. Subaru isn't either dumb nor smart, just average. Sadly he hasn't seen anything yet. everything he's been through at this point (episode 6) is just the tip of the madness.

he'll experience the same hysteria we went through. unsurprisingly all players have completely stopped goofing around the game and all concentration is given.

after that, over 90% of the players found more interesting abuse techniques aside from save state which is really surprising even for me.

sadly not all hack authors are doing it correctly and are out of style. especially spamming invi coin blocks just to fuck your jump at every possible means. some do it better, and some do it devilishly clever.

honorable mention goes to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hrO2kOZ5ng (skip to 1:50)
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
May 14, 2016 6:38 PM

Mar 2015
I think he plays his role as the MC well. He isn't near-perfect like a certain beater that woos every girl in the world by being overpowered. Favorite anime male MC in a while. I like how he shocks me with his innocent responses, even though he makes you think he will say something super perverted or selfish, it comes out as completely innocent and simple. Love it!

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Today

29 by Shoujoaddict »»
5 minutes ago

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Yesterday, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.