Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 8, 2016 10:11 PM

Oct 2015
Many people have different views on this subject. Some people say that, if you re-watch an anime that you like, it takes all the magic, and doesn't make it special. Others say that, when you re-watch it, its good to get a deeper look into it, and just increases how much you like it. I am on of those people who, when re-watching anime that I like, don't make it special anymore. I troubled, because, I want to re-watch anime that I liked/love, but I know that if i do, it will not make it special anymore. Any suggestions?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 8, 2016 10:14 PM
Jul 2018
I've rewatched a few before and I had a great time, maybe even more than the first time. I say definitely give it a go.
Apr 8, 2016 10:36 PM

Mar 2015
I have rewatched a few anime before, and some of my opinion different from the first time watching it. But my love for the show does not waver. Despite of her flaw, I still love her. xD
This salad is salty favored
Apr 8, 2016 10:41 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I rewatched anime a lot before

If that anime makes me want to rewatch it in the future then I consider it to be special

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 8, 2016 10:43 PM

May 2012
RedTie said:
I've rewatched a few before and I had a great time, maybe even more than the first time. I say definitely give it a go.

This. People who don't rewatch are missing out.
Apr 8, 2016 10:43 PM

Oct 2014
I don't rewatch anime because there are too many anime I want to see that I haven't yet. There are a lot of anime that other people want me to see and it wouldn't be fair at all to disregard those anime while watching anime that I've already seen. That would be pretty bad prioritization. I've only seen about 130 anime and there are hundreds more out there, some of which may be much better than any of the anime I've seen so far.
Apr 8, 2016 10:52 PM

Jan 2015
I find you get better chances to really explore a story and learn something new when you rewatch an anime. I've never felt that rewatching something has taken something special away or made my experience less meaningful. I'd say if there's nothing else you're desperate to see, pull out an old favourite and give it another go.
Apr 8, 2016 11:08 PM

Nov 2015
I'd rewatch anyway.
Watching it a second time around may or may not change my opinion on it but isn't that a good thing?
If you still like it, it means that the show has stood the test of time & if you don't, it means that are more mature, evolved than when you last watched it..
Apr 8, 2016 11:10 PM

Jun 2015
I re-watched plenty of anime, some I regretted, some I didn't. But overall, it gives you more insight about a show so I guess it is good. I know someone who re-watched Sakurasou 18 times completely.
Apr 8, 2016 11:17 PM

Oct 2014
Not sure where this fits it, but for fansubbing I have to go through each episode at least three times (scripting, timing, perfecting the timing), while I'll actually spend a good 20+ times the length of each episode to actually complete subbing it. I guess this would count as just watching it three times, but my total time spent on the series is quite high. I tend to sub in the day and watch anime normally at night so it's not cutting into my anime watching time. For whatever reason I find this to be quite enjoyable.
Apr 8, 2016 11:17 PM

Sep 2011
Indeed, I don't like to rewatch shows because I remember everything so clearly the first time through, so it does take "the magic" away from it. However, the shows that I've enjoyed THE most (9 or 10 on the scale) are exceptions. Those are the shows I'm willing to rewatch so I can get a deeper look into it to see if I've missed anything. It's cool to pick up new things the second time, like moments of foreshadowing or little symbolic details and the whatnot.
Apr 8, 2016 11:24 PM

Jan 2011
I'd try rewatching stuff more if my own looming sense of mortality didn't tell me I'll never see everything on my ptw before I die.
Apr 8, 2016 11:24 PM
Feb 2015
This happens a lot to me if I binge watch, but I sometimes forget a large portion of an anime, especially it's intriguing details. This happened to snk for me, but I rewatched it, got back into it, and started reading the manga, and now its one of my faves. I don't think rewatching ruins the 'magic', if the anime is especially good then the hype will be real even if you know everything that happens
Apr 9, 2016 12:54 AM
Apr 2016
I've rewatched a few. It feels nyatural to rewatch to get the enjoyment all over again or to find a deeper meaning nya.
Apr 9, 2016 12:57 AM

Jun 2013
I've rewatched over half the anime I've ever seen, and some of them I've seen 3 times, and a few I've even seen 4 times. I feel like rewatching helps you completely understand a story well, also I just like rewatching anime I like with new people since I find their reactions interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2016 1:13 AM
Jul 2014
I am mostly re-watching the scenes I want on YouTube over and over again, I have not re-watched whole series yet.
Apr 9, 2016 1:15 AM

Oct 2014
In this regard anime or manga is no different from other media. I don't know anyone who hasn't re-watched their fav movie at least once or twice. Who reads Lord of the Rings only once?

Also, other than a couple of very memorable scenes and remembering how the story ends, after a year or so you forget 95% of an anime's middle content anyway. If I absolutely want to be entertained with something good why risk being disappointed with an unknown when I can dig up something I scored high but haven't seen in 18 months. Obviously I want to watch new stuff too but after a disappointing or meh experience it's often nice to re-experience a known good experience rather than become disenchanted.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Apr 9, 2016 1:20 AM

Apr 2014
I don't rewatch anything, as it doesn't give me anything new.
Apr 9, 2016 1:22 AM

Oct 2014
Well, most of the time you will have other anime to watch :) But from my experience, whenever you miss an anime a lot over the time, it's worth it to re-watch it.
Anime that you miss will most likely be good (in your opinion) and re-watching it will definitely give you a deeper look into the story/better understanding of certain things happening.

I remember when I rewatched One Piece for the first time, only there I truly grabbed the sadness of the background stories, because I saw like 10 or 12 when I first saw the episodes. To make it short, I cried dozen of times on the crew's background stories.
Same for the monogatari series.

I definitely recommend re-watching some series, because only then you truly understand its greatness as you've grown and changed your mindset.
Apr 9, 2016 1:25 AM

May 2015
I'll definitely rewatch my favorite anime. Not soon - I want to put enough distance so I will change and they will look different me. Why not, though? The anime proved to be brilliant. That means there may be more underneath.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 9, 2016 1:30 AM

May 2015
I rewatch when I forget something about the anime or when I feel like rewatching my favourites, to me it brings back the 'magic' of first watching it.
Apr 9, 2016 1:38 AM

Sep 2015
I've rewatched a total of 12 times, according to my MAL stats. None of them have really lost the magic the second time round; it merely reinforced my opinion of them. Detroit Metal City and NouCome were both still freakin' hilarious the second time around. MonMusu was still a great ecchi series and Rokujouma no Shinryakusha was still a great harem series the second time around.

There are a few other I'd like to rewatch because I missed out on themes and ideas the first time around - Kill la Kill is the biggest example of this. I wanna watch the Monogatari series again because a lot of the dialogue flew right over my head the first time around. None of these will have the magic ruined; I've chosen to rewatch these ones specifically over all the others I've seen.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 9, 2016 1:43 AM

Jan 2016
Okay so, you're asking about rewatching an anime.

It really depends on the person who wants to rewatch, really. I'm always thinking "Damn, I wish I could rewatch Fate or Angel Beats or Highschool DxD or etc." BUT... Why I don't rewatch is cuz I simply can't, it would be boring for me to rewatch smth I've seen already... It depends on how you watch an anime, do you watch it for the story, do you watch it for fanservice, do you watch it for ecchi and etc.
I simply can't rewatch, cause I know what'll happen next in that anime, which makes it more boring, when you know what'll happen next, it's like your real life, you know what'll happen next and you'll simply be bored.
However, my friend rewatches a lot and he told me "Don't think about the outcome. Watch the moment", but I can't watch a single moment and enjoy it, I enjoy the stories.

If you watched the two I mentioned in spoilers for ecchi (You can open the spoiler and to read the first few words for the anime names).. Then you can rewatch it for the story, but if you watched it for the story.. You can watch it to simply fap.

In the end, you're the one to decide wheter you want to rewatch or not
Apr 9, 2016 1:51 AM
Jul 2018
depends. sometimes we really enjoy some masterpieces (or well even if they aren't considered masterpieces for other people, even if it's just for us) and after completing it and after a while, we may feel like watching it again. if i feel like re watching something, i do it. for example i feel like re watching steins;gate next month (when my break starts)
Apr 9, 2016 1:55 AM

Aug 2010
Don't think I ever changed my opinion for worse or lowered my score for a show during a rewatch if anything I enjoyed it even more then the first time now that I think about it.

Just rewatch it if you feel like it honestly, if you don't enjoy it as much during a rewatch you probably didn't like it that much in the first place.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Apr 9, 2016 1:58 AM

Nov 2012
If it's been a reaaally long time, like 2 years, it's definitely worth it. Because you forgot most stuff, it'll give that experience again. I've watched Ouran for the fourth time now, and only the fourth time I feel like it's becoming a bit less special than the first time.
Apr 9, 2016 2:00 AM

Apr 2010
I'm the type who can rewatch things, and it's rare I don't enjoy it. My father, can't see a movie twice so he just watches it when he hardly renember anything. So maybe you should go by that line

Apr 9, 2016 2:02 AM
Mar 2016
What I do is wait a really long time to the point where I only will remember a few key parts of a show...maybe. Then I will re-watch it again. This way the special magic part you are talking about is renewed within that show. Most of the time though I will remember a lot as I re-watch the show. When that happens though I do tend to notice more detail I may have missed the first time around. So it is a win, win situation.
Apr 9, 2016 2:19 AM

May 2015
@Nightmare21st oh hey, I remember you! :D

ot: just rewatch if you want, Angel Beats was still special to me a couple months ago although Id say that if I were to rewatch it again, I probably wouldnt feel the same about it

Noucome isnt as solid as I thought it was before but Baka to Test may have been twice as funny; it all just depends on you and which anime you choose to rewatch
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 9, 2016 2:22 AM

Jul 2015
no , i dont rewatch
i feel is just waste of time because i know what will happen
Apr 9, 2016 2:24 AM

Aug 2015
You should definitely re watch shows you like. i thought Parasyte was alright and when i re watched it it became one of my favourite anime's. Re watch all your favouites, its definitely worth it.
Apr 10, 2016 3:56 AM

Jun 2015
I've rewatched my favorite anime multiple times. A lot of times, I'll think, when rewatching it, "This scene wasn't as epic as I remembered it." But then I'll also think, "Wow, I never noticed the symbolism in this before." Rewatching anime has both its positive and negative traits.
Apr 10, 2016 4:00 AM

Jul 2014
I've rewatched my all-time favorite anime 4 times and I just love it more every time. There always seems to be something that I didn't notice the previous time watching.
Apr 10, 2016 4:04 AM

Feb 2015
I watched No Game No Life 7 times and i still like it. so i'm the type of person who when i rewatch it, i still like it or maybe liking it more than before and sometimes makes me realize many things which i didn't realize when the first time i watched it.
Apr 10, 2016 4:08 AM

Sep 2010
zombie_pegasus said:
Not sure where this fits it, but for fansubbing I have to go through each episode at least three times (scripting, timing, perfecting the timing), while I'll actually spend a good 20+ times the length of each episode to actually complete subbing it. I guess this would count as just watching it three times, but my total time spent on the series is quite high. I tend to sub in the day and watch anime normally at night so it's not cutting into my anime watching time. For whatever reason I find this to be quite enjoyable.

this. plus if you do quality check, besides editing, translating, typesetting etc, you get to watch the same episode more than once.

i've also watched all DB, DBZ and DB GT at least 3 times, samurai 7 4 times, death note 3 times, chobits twice, classic naruto 2 times, and many other, because sometimes you pick up stuff that you missed the first time you watched it.

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Apr 10, 2016 4:18 AM

Jul 2007
I rewatch shows all the time. I do it a lot when i watch something new and find it very disappointing and need to watch something that i know is good.
Apr 10, 2016 4:20 AM

Sep 2014
This is really troublesome for me too. I don't want to ruin my aspect of a show, which i enjoyed watching. I would say, just give it a try. I did it with One Piece (Watched 3 times until 489). I am still in love with it, but everyone has his own feelings about rewatching an anime. Doing it once will help you out more than just struggling with it.
Apr 10, 2016 4:32 AM

Jan 2016
I have no problem in re-watching the anime I've already seen, but I usually do it after some time in order to fully enjoy the experience. Sometimes I re-watch them just for fun, other times to get more insight. It also depends on the anime.. some are suitable to a re-watch, some aren't.
Apr 10, 2016 4:41 AM

Jul 2015
I'm a little like you when it comes to rewatching shows, I guess. I haven't rewatched a lot.

Like a user above me said, I don't generally rewatch because there are a lot of shows I want to see and haven't yet. When I sit down to do a rewatch I can't help but think "I've seen this before, maybe I should watch something new". I'm not really worried about it 'ruining' the show for me.

The show that benefited the most from a rewatch (for me at least) was FLCL. I didn't really like it the first time I went through it but when I watched it again, I appreciated it a lot more and picked up on details I didn't notice previously. FLCL however, only has 6 episodes.. it's not really hard to rewatch.
SwainyApr 10, 2016 4:50 AM
Apr 10, 2016 4:45 AM

Dec 2015
I've rewatched all my faves and it certainly didn't take any of the magic out of them for me.
Apr 10, 2016 4:50 AM

Sep 2008
I have rewatched some of the series only because of watching something with family or friends together. I will probably rewatch my favorite and highest rated series at some point but maybe when I will be really old, or maybe when I will feel sick and know that there isn't much time I have left in this world. For now, I'm just enjoying stuff I don't know yet ^^
Apr 10, 2016 4:51 AM
Mar 2013
I like re-watching shows. It can be very nostalgic and you notice things like subtle foreshadowing that you miss the first time around. Plus, if you like something why not experience it again? The only reason not to is if the show relies on the surprise factor IMO.
Apr 10, 2016 5:14 AM

Oct 2014
Re-watching makes you see an anime true worth. If you don't like it as much when you re-watch it just means the anime fulled you into liking it because of show factor or by playing with your emotions. I liked AnoHana way less when I re-watched it because the only reason I liked it in the first place was because it played with my emotions and now I was able to see that the anime is not that good beyond that. My re-watch of Neon Genesis Evangelion was the complete opposite, I was able to see how good the anime is because I was able to see how well the story was crafted full of underlying messages and foreshadowing and how brilliant and complex the characters were.
So yes, I think re-watching is good because it will let you appreciate good anime more even if you will stop liking bad anime, which isn't a bad thing for me.
Apr 10, 2016 5:17 AM
Aug 2014
i like re-watching anime...it can relive the feeling why you like the anime
Apr 10, 2016 5:31 AM
Oct 2015
You should try to re-watch, you'll see things you didn't notice on your first watch.
Apr 10, 2016 5:35 AM
Feb 2016
PoeticJustice said:
RedTie said:

This. People who don't rewatch are missing out.

I've rewatched only 2 - steins;gate and fmab .didnt regret it.
Apr 10, 2016 5:39 AM

Nov 2012
i rewatch series very rarely, because i always want to watch new stuff instead, but i definitely didn't regret the few rewatches i did. it's just great to relive the feelings and emotions you had when watching it for the first time.
Apr 10, 2016 6:08 AM
Feb 2015
ive only rewatched Sword Art Online but that was when i started watching anime and had seen like 5-10 and didnt know how to find new shows (was watching anime at youtube) but after that i havent rewatched anything
Apr 10, 2016 6:19 AM

Aug 2007
Well, I rewatched a little of anime of all that I have in my completed list. I didn't regect it because I saw details that I missed in the first timer like music, the scenario or some dialogue of charcters.

Actually I dont want to re watch some anime because I discover new anime or like this time of the year, a new season is beginning, so it means new anime that I really want to watch. Also, I do not also watch anime in my free tome, sometimes I do other things.
Apr 10, 2016 6:50 AM

Feb 2016
Hey everyone~
There are few times I re-watched some series because:
-I forgot them.
-Planing to watch season 2 after.

Looking for a deeper meaning or noticing other details isn't enough to encourage me,
but it's interesting nevertheless >I try to make the most out of my first watch x)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

60 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 5 hours ago

3 by nishant0 »»
29 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

40 by FanofAction »»
30 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

72 by luckyrune »»
32 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 1 hour ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.