Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2016 12:58 PM

Sep 2015
Well, I'm not a big fan of the OP
It looks interesting, good atmosphere, great art, everything to produce a good anime
Apr 6, 2016 12:59 PM

Mar 2016
Great first episode , as expected from bones . Already liking dazai , lol the ways he fucks around with kunikida and has that suicide fetish , he'll make a good team with atsushi ...
Apr 6, 2016 1:01 PM

Aug 2012
The scene in the warehouse had a lot more impact/suspense in the manga, but other than that, it was a pretty good adaptation.
.................................................................................

Aug 2007
Looks like a "monster of the week" type of anime, but the episode was great. I really liked it. Great job Bones! :D I'm lookiong forward to next week.
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was anything but a strong opener. Shouldn't they try to make you watch more with a first episode? Instead, they went with the most predictable of all mysteries they might solve in future episodes. No Longer Human is really quite unoriginal, plus the name doesn't make any sense to me.

The OP seemed alright until they tried to be Baccano! I've never seen an opening episode show the ED after putting the OP at the end either.

This was really, really odd. Let's see what episode 2 is like though. Hopefully a bit lighter on the funny bits.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  

Apr 2014
Story is quite interesting, although it does remind me of Kekkai Sensen.

Also, the art is great and we finally have a main character that doesn't have spiky hair.
Apr 6, 2016 1:02 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Great start. Delivered in almost every way. Some of the comedy was funny (even if it felt like it was making the tone feel inconsistent).

4/5
Apr 6, 2016 1:10 PM

Jul 2014
Seems pretty promising so far, with a decent balance of humour and action and a seemingly likable cast so far. Could have done without the constant repetition of the orphanage stuff though; once or twice, sure, but more than that is just unnecessary. Also, based on Ranpo's ability, I'm guessing that each character's ability is related to the kind of literature their real life counterparts wrote? Pretty funny if true.

Definitely liking the OP and ED as well; both are very good.
Apr 6, 2016 1:12 PM

Dec 2015
Great start, was really looking forward to this. Really liking the character designs and the overall art style.

Apr 6, 2016 1:20 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hm, it was alright first episode, I'd say. I wasn't expecting that much comedy, and it was a hit or miss. I chuckled a few times but imo it could do without. I do like the artstyle and the bgm were well placed. Story wise, of course it's just the introduction episode, but something was missing to make it fully engaging to me. They also repeated the backstory one time too much. I agree with cyruz that it was a weak start. But I like Bones a lot, and it's a split cour. I still think that this series will be interesting, despite the first episode not giving me any particular positive (nor negative) impression.

What's up with placing both the OP and ED at the end? That was surprising. Usually it's just the OP at the end for the first episode and no ED, or they're placed normally where they should be, but both? Interesting choice I guess. I like the ED song :)
Apr 6, 2016 1:21 PM
Aug 2014
Great first episode! I was looking forward to this quite a lot and am glad to say that it didn't disappoint. Bones has of course done a great job with the animation and sound, which really brings the VERY original and interesting characters (Daizai, Atsushi) to life; needless to say the rest of the cast is amazing too! especially their powers and the power NAMES.
The Ending was a bit ambiguous, but I think the point it's trying to portray is that Daizai's kinda like a mentor/savior figure to Atsushi rather than a potential dating partner (as some people might've thought) as the manga doesn't hint any thing like that and the genre's mainly Supernatural/Action.
All in all, this along with Re:Zero... are my main 'to-watch' of this season.
Apr 6, 2016 1:24 PM

Feb 2015
hmmm thought it was ok. The art and animation was really good. The humour aspect was a miss for me but the premiss is interesting. I hope it's better than Kekkai Sensen as I hated that show.
Apr 6, 2016 1:31 PM

Apr 2014
As someone who has read the manga and liked it a lot, I'd have to say this first episode was amazing! I've been anticipating it for weeks and it does not disappoint! I especially love all the characters (specifically Dazai because he's bae). Can't wait for episode 2! \(^ヮ^)/
Apr 6, 2016 1:35 PM

May 2010
Damn this looks really promising! The faces are pretty hilarious at time. Im really curious what is up with the ability names. Also i thought the OP was pretty good.

Mar 2014
Well in terms of visuals this was probably the most impressive one so far this season, seriously this looked amazing and just look at the amount of different (funny) facial expressions and character animation, the animator's probably had a lot of fun with this even though I can imagine a LOT of effort went into it

Lots of competition though, this season has a lot of amazing looking shows

Can't wait for episode 2
LauraBirdieApr 6, 2016 1:46 PM

Dec 2015
Didn't seem that interesting to me and I did not like the first few chars from that detective agency. Maybe the others will be more interesting and less annoying. Maybe there will be some interesting plot. I don't know. Since 1st episode wasn't that interesting and I don't have much time and there's a lot of other stuff (watching a lot of sequels atm) I'll drop this for now.
Apr 6, 2016 1:38 PM

May 2013
Watching Aoi Bungaku before Bungou stray dogs made it an even better experience :3
Apr 6, 2016 1:41 PM

Jul 2013
Looks good so far! The pacing was just perfect for a first episode, not too rushed yet enough was happening to keep the introduction interesting through the entire episode. The comedy was pretty well used too. I'll keep watching this show.
Apr 6, 2016 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
This was a pretty good first episode.

This series was a lot less serious than I thought it was going to be, it kinda has a noragami vibe.

I'm looking forward to more.
Apr 6, 2016 1:49 PM

Nov 2014
Really great first ep. Loved the transformation scene.
Apr 6, 2016 1:51 PM

Jul 2015
Kerozinn said:
Damn this looks really promising! The faces are pretty hilarious at time. Im really curious what is up with the ability names. Also i thought the OP was pretty good.

The characters are named after famous japanese writers and their abilities after a prominent work of theirs.
Apr 6, 2016 1:53 PM

Feb 2015
This was a pretty solid start. I thought it was a pretty good mix of action and comedy, I'm looking forward to more of this.
Apr 6, 2016 1:53 PM

May 2015
First half was kinda meh, but the second half was pretty nice and I loved it. Pretty enjoyable overall. Music was nice. Hopefully it will be a good ride.

Apr 6, 2016 1:58 PM

Jul 2007
Inb4 baseless "Omg its baccano because it is period piece" comparisons from people who don't know any better. Le sigh. Oh wait too late...

Easily the strongest opened episode of the season.

I love the idea of characters based upon famous writers and poets. That was THE first thing that drew me to this - names like Edogawa Ranpo or Osamu Dazai is something you can't help but know and recognize if you had any interest in Japanese culture or literature, so the idea in itself is fascinating.

The episode was very well directed with touch there and here that reminded me of one of the best shows in last few years, Kekkai Sensen.

And the OP so far was the best op of the season.

Really can't wait to see where this goes.

4/5 for the episode
8/10 for the series so far.

DragonSlayer_19 said:
Great first episode , as expected from bones . Already liking dazai , lol the ways he fucks around with kunikida and has that suicide fetish , he'll make a good team with atsushi ...

Well it fits a writer who was definition of trainwreck and spent most of his life trying to suicide till he finally succeeded
AhenshihaelApr 6, 2016 2:02 PM
Apr 6, 2016 1:59 PM

Jun 2014
Not surprisingly, the visuals were very pleasant to look at. Good job, Bones. I'm not really a fan of the comedic moments tbh, the jokes and stuff seem like a hit or miss most of the time (at least for me, but I did laugh a couple times in the episode so at least the jokes aren't all misses). And once again, Granrodeo with a fantastic OP (the ED is also pretty nice). I think this got off to a decent start, but I think there's room for improvement as it progresses.

And just an FYI for those pointing out Dazai's "suicide fetish," it's not really a fetish. Osamu Dazai in real life did try to kill himself many times and constantly failed. He eventually succeeded by drowning himself in a canal (which, coincidentally, is how he was introduced in this episode lol).
thebrentinator24Apr 6, 2016 2:03 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 6, 2016 2:06 PM

Jun 2013
Loved it. The animation, the characters, and the ost are on point. Can't wait for more!
Apr 6, 2016 2:12 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Best first episode after Joker Game.
Really good OP and ED.
Nice comedy, It was more hit then miss for me.
Looking forward for more.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 6, 2016 2:19 PM

Apr 2014
This episode in a nutshell:

Apr 6, 2016 2:21 PM

Jun 2015
I loved this first episode, the animation was to me top notch aond the OST also <3 also I complely fell in love with the ending, so beautifull \\(*o*)// the OP was awesome as well.
The VA cast is also great

Cant wait to see more, this will probably be my fav anime of this season!!!
Apr 6, 2016 2:26 PM

May 2010
BlueBalls said:
Kerozinn said:

The characters are named after famous japanese writers and their abilities after a prominent work of theirs.

Ah thanks, wasnt aware of that ;)
Apr 6, 2016 2:26 PM

Apr 2015
Some of the humor is actually quite dark. I mean Dazai actually committed suicide by drowning himself.

That kinda sticked to my head the entire episode, quite interesting.
Apr 6, 2016 2:28 PM

Mar 2014
Holy shit all them butt shots

Man/yaoi fanservice at its finest
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 6, 2016 2:35 PM

Apr 2014
Hongu said:
This episode in a nutshell:

i didnt even notice this at all

damn im must be really straight
Apr 6, 2016 2:43 PM

Sep 2014
I really liked the style. Dazai's outfit was looking fresh. Pretty fun watch so far.

@moodie
Holy shit I didn't notice that as well!

@Daniel_Naumov
Nope not the same creator.
Apr 6, 2016 2:44 PM

Jun 2014
An amazing episode. It was a perfect adaptation of the first chapter in the manga. And what makes it even better are the seiyuus. Miyano Mamoru, Hosoya Yoshimasa and Kamiya Hiroshi ... DAMN this show will be one of the best.
Apr 6, 2016 2:50 PM

Jan 2015
Funny didn't expect that. Definitely something worth watching.
Apr 6, 2016 2:53 PM
Jul 2014
Another average show, in my opinion. Nothing too great, and nothing too awful. I heard a lot of talk about this and Joker Show so I was hoping for some noteworthy and memorable 1st episodes, but they didn't have much to no impact.

I thought the comedy at the very beginning was pretty funny and clever, but then it gets awfully placed with the serious tone throughout the whole episode. It was most uncomfortable. The only other time I could get a chuckle in was when Osamu said "I have no such tastes in men." towards the end.

I kind of hope they don't keep shoving the same point down my throat over and over, like they did with Atsushi's backstory about how awful they treated him at the orphanage. I get it. He's gone through some sad stuff, but unless you're showing me scenes of importance (Chickens getting eaten, damaged property, etc.) then please stop. Most folks aren't that stupid, I think. But, the drivel mood feels a bit too forceful. Hopefully they balance all of that out later.

I'm always surprised how people can come out with how much they love a show in just 1 episode. Even my most favorite Animes don't get me to feel that way until at least 4 episodes or so. Oh well, just me complaining.

Small complaints overall. It's a decent Anime to get into, so I'll be continuing this show.
Apr 6, 2016 3:01 PM

Jan 2013

^
Not even a dog. Why is this called Stray Dogs then?
Dropped :|
Apr 6, 2016 3:03 PM

Dec 2012
That was a pretty decent first episode. The art is good. Good OP & ED song.

Quite a bit of comedy. Dazai is pretty funny.
Atsushi is the Tiger. That little fight was pretty cool.
"No Longer Human" is a cool ability. Took out Atsushi in one go.
Interested to see the abilities of the others at the Armed Detective Agency.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Apr 6, 2016 3:11 PM

Jul 2013
stand said:
Lol their abilities are named after their own titles.
An easy watch, I liked it and there's silly faces but the art style itself is great.
Liked it more than Joker Game too, not that they are comparable at all but I make a little personal ranking list and yeah...

retepeters said:
the char designer is trying a bit too hard on their outfits imo

An outfit that tries hard is better than an outfit that doesn't try at all imo.

well.. that's a fair point xd
at first i thought dazai was a vampire lol
Apr 6, 2016 3:12 PM

Jul 2015
5/5 I loved it. I can't think of anything I didn't like about it. I love everything.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 6, 2016 3:13 PM

Aug 2014
Wow... that was some how impressive! I like mysteries and this one is very good for the first episode! I also like to see the OP right after the episodes ends and got the ED even after that too! It was awesome! ^.^
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Apr 6, 2016 3:20 PM
Mar 2016
i have been so hyped for this anime for so long and it didn't disappoint!

all the characters seem amazing in their own ways, and their seiyuus are perfect.

i love the mix of comedy/exaggerated reactions with the intensity! i definitely wasn't expecting it to be so funny.

overall i'm even more excited for this anime now, it could go down as one of my favorites!

also dazai is the greatest lmao
Apr 6, 2016 3:24 PM

Aug 2010
Awesome loved it. The character designs are so great :D
And the cast is amazing so far.
Fun setting too. And comedy is funny

Is this gonna be the episodic type?

Anyway...Dazai definitely best boy. This suicidal maniac sure knows how to debut in a series XD

And man the Titles of each character are BA. "No longer Human" "Beast under the moon"...etc
Apr 6, 2016 3:34 PM

Oct 2012
Atsushi being the tiger was so obvious. Still, I liked all the characters so far.
Apr 6, 2016 3:36 PM

Apr 2015
Nice episode. The animation and scenery are great, and the OP/ED are alright. However there's a lot more comedy than I remember it having and I'm not really fond of the casting (despite it being good). Show's looking decent so far, though.
SonneticaApr 6, 2016 3:39 PM
Apr 6, 2016 3:40 PM
Jul 2018
"Ame ni no Makuzo"
"Ningen Shikkaku"
"Kimi shi ni tamaou koto nakare"
"Beast beneath the moonlight"
their ability names are named after novels, japanese literature and poetry. . . . . . .

while "Doppo Poet" is reference after a famous novelist and poetry during Meiji era named Doppo Kunikida
Apr 6, 2016 3:46 PM

Jul 2012
That was really fun so far. Amazing seiyuu cast.

I really like Dazai!

GRANRODEO song on fucking point. ♥
Apr 6, 2016 3:46 PM

Sep 2014
Indestructible clothes annoyed me way more then it should have...
Apr 6, 2016 3:51 PM

May 2015
"I don't have this taste in men" lol

Too much comedy but nice characters and Op and Ed
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2016

191 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2016

203 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 11:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.