Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion

Apr 7, 2016 6:20 PM

VanishingKira said:
Rather unimpressed but the action scenes are good,think the series would be better off without the "comedy."

Yeah I thought too that the 'comedy' felt out of place and sometimes awkward. Didn't blend well with the dramatic atmosphere.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.

Apr 7, 2016 6:28 PM

This was an amazing first episode, favorite so far of the new airings. The art and characters are super interesting, the expressions make it more lively and who doesn't like detective stories?

Dazai reminds me of Gilbert Nightray, whom is my all time favorite anime character, so as of now he is my favorite. ❤ I can't wait for the next episode.

As for the comedy, you're either going to love it or hate it. I personally love it. I laughed quite a few times.
Modified by Luxtress, Apr 7, 2016 6:31 PM

Apr 7, 2016 6:47 PM

I am very happy that I decided to watch this. It looks like it's going to be a good one.

Plus it was a lot more funny than I had expected.

Apr 7, 2016 6:56 PM

The part near the end kinda reminded me of Akame Ga Kill, haha.

Apr 7, 2016 7:26 PM

Awesome first episode. The characters are really interesting. A lot of the voice actors are from Durarara!! and it sort of feels like K Project with the right balance of seriousness and comedy.

Apr 7, 2016 7:28 PM

Dazai is my favorite character so far. I relate a lot to a character that jokes about suicide. Also like the twist with that kid being the tiger. 4/5 for the first episode.

Apr 7, 2016 8:01 PM

The 1st episode finally aired, my favorite anime this season. As manga reader, it deliver my expectation.

Apr 7, 2016 8:28 PM

Kekkai Sensen 2.0 :)

Apr 7, 2016 8:58 PM

Syonos said:

Oh , thank you , it makes a lot more sense now ! I was hoping that someone who has read the book could explain why he has been represented in this way . I'm still not sure if it's a good idea talking about suicide so lightly because it could really give a confusing message to those who, like me, have never read his books but I understand their motivations now .

No problem! I agree 100%. A lot of people would get the wrong message from the way they chose to characterize Dazai.
I would be really confused too if I didn't read the book. But I'm glad what I said made it make maybe a littlee more sense ^^

Apr 7, 2016 9:27 PM
This one was impressive, i was expecting a good start but this was beyond my expectations

Apr 8, 2016 12:42 AM

Really good start will defo continue watching.

Apr 8, 2016 12:59 AM
EarlCiel said:
Syonos said:

tbh I had the same feeling as your brother ... I didn't know who Dazai was and I've just read his story on wikipedia but anyway even if he tried to kill himself so many times I don't think that this is something to make fun of . I still think that they weren't making fun of suicide in general but adding so much comedy was unnecessary ... I feel like they are using suicidal intentions as a way to describe the character but they are not doing it in the right way imo

In regards to Dazai's suicidal tendencies, in my previous post I sort of attributed the joking to create a lighter mood in the series. This is the MAIN reason I believe they decided to sort of "make a joke" out of his suicidal nature. I will also explain later though, that I don't think they are making him stray too far from his character which is based off the author Dazai Osamu. If the character Dazai tried to kill himself at every attempt it would definitely sort of stop the plot and focus entirely on him. Because suicide is not something light that can just be passed off as being weird, it's someone actually attempting to take their own life.

So I thought, that the most plausible reason the show would do this is to make clear Dazai's intention (motive) of killing himself without taking away too much screen time or especially take away from the plot. That doesn't exactly explain the reason it has to be executed in a joking way though. It's pretty much inexcusable to make fun of something like suicide, but then for someone who has read the book I think I understand why the producers took this approach.

I don't think this counts as spoilers...since I have not read the manga, but I have read the book "No Longer Human" which just reveals info on the author so possibly more insight on Dazai's character. Putting it in spoiler tags just in case though, but I think it's a very possible answer to your questions:

I hope this clears up maybe some reasons why it is handeled in a "jokingly" matter..but these are just my thoughts on it. My suspicions are they don't want to give too much information about Dazai as a character so they are concealing it with his comedy acts and making him "blend in with the cast" aka don't make him stand out too much and fit in. Which is similar to what the real author did as a child to fit in.

Thank you so much, that is very helpful to know. I figured that it was something with the author Dazai is based on that is why his character acted the way he did. That was one of the things I loved about this anime was that I wanted to know more about who the characters are based on and get to know more about Japanese History. I enjoyed Dazai because I have depression myself so I kind of figured he had deep-seeded issues that he was hiding. I think this will be a very intriguing, character based anime that I can't wait for more of.

Apr 8, 2016 1:13 AM

Well, the come at the start...dram start later on I thing, if this is detective series, of course there will be drama.

fantasy on top of that...let's see where this goes
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))

Apr 8, 2016 1:43 AM

its feels so good xD
AmImRaNSe7eN

Apr 8, 2016 2:52 AM

peeyaj said:
Why the low score?

Probably the humor tbh, then again Fullmetal Alchemist had atrocious humor and is still scored very highly.

I think it deserves a higher score preliminary but we'll see how the series turns out.

Apr 8, 2016 6:21 AM

peeyaj said:
Why the low score?

coz of edgy teens who dont like comedy in their life?

Apr 8, 2016 7:29 AM

I kinda figured Atsushi is the tiger after he mentioned the tiger is following him. Well this anime kinda reminds me of Kekkai Sensen. The characters and comedy is kinda similar which is a hit or miss for me. I haven't checked yet but the OP seems to be performed by the same band/artist who made the Dimension W ED. Watching the trailer I thought this will be some good shit but after this first episode I dont really know.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou

Apr 8, 2016 8:29 AM

I was expecting a serious dark anime, and the comedy took me off guard. Then I got yaoi vibes from this and thought I wouldn't like it, I'm glad that's gone too.

The OP is good, the ED is so much better. The animation is nice and I'm happy the MC isn't a complete dumbass.

It was a good start. Hope it stays good for 12 episodes.
4/5 cause the comedy was a hit or miss for me.

Apr 8, 2016 8:34 AM

RyuKlinge said:

Thank you so much, that is very helpful to know. I figured that it was something with the author Dazai is based on that is why his character acted the way he did. That was one of the things I loved about this anime was that I wanted to know more about who the characters are based on and get to know more about Japanese History. I enjoyed Dazai because I have depression myself so I kind of figured he had deep-seeded issues that he was hiding. I think this will be a very intriguing, character based anime that I can't wait for more of.

No problem ^^ Yes, I think it's a very interesting approach they decided to take in hiding Dazai's "true character".

“As long as I can make them laugh, it doesn’t matter how, I’ll be alright. If I succeed in that, the human beings probably won’t mind it too much if I remain outside their lives. The one thing I must avoid is becoming offensive in their eyes: I shall be nothing, the wind, the sky.”--Dazai Osamu

One of the greatest thing I admire about Osamu-sensei is that his sincere thoughts and words are powerful enough to touch hearts.
I felt so moved by his words, and , like you, I can't wait to see more of Dazai depicted through this character

Apr 8, 2016 9:33 AM
Really good first episode.Love the animation, especially 1080p,just amazing.I love the facial expressions,so funny lmfao.
Having read the comments, i find that there are way too many humorless guys :)

Apr 8, 2016 10:37 AM

Okay first episode, I was expecting this to be more "Mature" so the comedy kinda dissapointed me a bit, i'll probably marathon this when its over.

Apr 8, 2016 11:13 AM

it was ok,i like a few other anime of this current season a bit more
but the next ep will definitely be more interesting

Apr 8, 2016 11:18 AM
Eyepatch_Ghoul said:
Thought this was pretty average as far as first episodes go. Didn't really expect is to have so many comedic moments, but I can't say I found the humor to be particularly funny. Looks like it has some decent potential at least.

My thoughts exactly. Very weak from a humor standpoint and character standpoint.

The problem with this, and other recent anime, is the lack of plot driven moments. The characters are not strong enough to hold the show.

Hopefully the comedy is reduced.

Apr 8, 2016 12:39 PM
SoL Enthusiast

My favourite first episode so far. Characters are great and I enjoyed the comedic moments.
:)

Apr 8, 2016 1:16 PM

That episode is entertaining to the extreme! The intoduced so far characters (sinnamon rool, a suicide maniac and an angst organized mother) are cool and the soundtrack is super. The opening song is cool!
When I heard No longer human I instantly got a bit depressed... That sh*t is depressing! (THERE'S AN ACTUAL ANIME "NO LONGER HUMAN" watch it now!!! Hyper depressing and the story is like 4 episodes) It's like an autobiography of the author, who on the other hand seems way too happy and easy-going...
And one last thing. Isn't it actually bothering anyone that they are picking some big names and making them goofy, like if they pick five big Bulgarian authors names like Ivan Vazov, Paisii Hilendarski, Chernorizec Hrabur, Pencho Slaveykov and maybe Yordan Yovkov (Most likely you hear these names for the first time) and make them all goofy and sh*t and like parodies of themselves I would be mad as f*ck!
Modified by ani147, Apr 8, 2016 1:34 PM

Apr 8, 2016 1:28 PM

Dazai's humorously suicidal tendencies really amuse me for some reason, as dark as that's usually supposed to be his lighthearted nature certainly subverts that… I think I found myself best boy already.

Ahh the premise for this is nice and the art is spectacular (if Pandora Hearts bred with DRRR…), hopefully it remains this good throughout, although yeah, like many other anime these days I'd like to see it have more than 12 episodes…

FINALLY XX YOU OUT
feels so good to forget ya, i've become someone better

Apr 8, 2016 2:42 PM
Drake1000 said:
Reeks of generic shonen especially with that typical shonen comedy, I expected a more mature approach when I read the synopsis, oh well.

Me too, but let's wait and see.

Apr 8, 2016 2:50 PM

Looks like Edogawa and Izaya from durarara have the same voice actor, they sound the same.

Apr 8, 2016 3:28 PM

An ok episode i guess. Had good animation but that's to be expected. Hopefully it isn't as dissapointing as Kekkai Sensen.

Apr 8, 2016 3:55 PM

I had a feeling I was going to like this! And the first episode lived up to my expectations :)
"I have no such tastes in men." Lolll! I know whose my favorite so far :P

Apr 8, 2016 7:39 PM

There was a bit too much shounen-y comedy for me, but I still really liked it. Looking forward to the bromance.

Apr 8, 2016 8:18 PM
EarlCiel said:
RyuKlinge said:

No problem ^^ Yes, I think it's a very interesting approach they decided to take in hiding Dazai's "true character".

“As long as I can make them laugh, it doesn’t matter how, I’ll be alright. If I succeed in that, the human beings probably won’t mind it too much if I remain outside their lives. The one thing I must avoid is becoming offensive in their eyes: I shall be nothing, the wind, the sky.”--Dazai Osamu

One of the greatest thing I admire about Osamu-sensei is that his sincere thoughts and words are powerful enough to touch hearts.
I felt so moved by his words, and , like you, I can't wait to see more of Dazai depicted through this character

Yeah after hearing more about him he gets more and more intriguing. I love that quote you posted of his. I think with the quote and how the character acted in the anime is that even though he is pain and suicidal he doesn't want anyone to be hurt by it and he wants everyone else to be okay.

Apr 8, 2016 8:57 PM

The comedy is hilarious and the reaction faces are great.

Love the interactions and whole premise of this.

A lot of new good shows I'm looking forward to, and this is one of them!

Apr 8, 2016 11:39 PM

Maybe is beacuase I don't know a bit of Japanese Writers that I felt the episode a bit wrong. I must say I was thinking something maybe more... more... calm... yes, but even though, Bungou Stray Dogs didn't disappointed me.

The animation is not superb but sure is way better than most of the season's, art is kinda weird but yeah, I like It, specially the colors and backgrounds which are very well done. The pacing is correct, not too fast, not too slow, just correct. Characters are truly awesome, actually that was the best part in all the episode, to watch the characters develop some of their attitutudes and ways of being. Story is impressively interesting, and yes, as obscure as I thought, hope It gets more and more into the shadows haha.

I'm having a big hope to this to become one of the best of the season, good things will happen with Bungou Stray Dogs, hope Bones not to ruin It. 4/5

Apr 8, 2016 11:48 PM

Equitum said:
I really liked this. Characters are great so far, the powers are interesting, and the music is awesome. Can't wait for more.

This was a very good first episode. Looks like this will be interesting. Definitely will follow this.

Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don’t care.

Apr 9, 2016 5:06 AM

It was pretty entertaining, I was able to focus unlike the previous first episodes of Spring 2016's Anime lineup.

I'd have to say this has to the one of the better first episodes for this year's Spring Anime.

I actually didn't expect the white-haired kid to be the tiger, that was quite surprising. The animation, colors, BGM and pacing were all quite good.

the OP is pretty good too.
There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards.

Apr 9, 2016 5:58 AM

Not really impressed by the pilot. I get the feeling this could end up developing in something like Kekkai Sensen, but I hope this will develop into something plot-driven in the end.

Apr 9, 2016 8:24 AM

That was indeed very interesting! A bit predictable though :)

Apr 9, 2016 9:12 AM

what is this gay shit

imagine j.k. rowling shouting out her move: "HARRY POTTER!!!"

sheit dawg

Apr 9, 2016 10:23 AM
Ugh, that Noragami nostalgia; almost makes me want to cry :(

Great episode overall, honestly didn't expect the comedy, but hey: it's Bones that's producing this series. I can already expect great things from Dazai Osamu; his suicidal attempts are probably going to be the constant gags in this series, from the looks.

This season is going to be great.

Apr 9, 2016 11:09 AM

I think the idea behind the whole story is really really great, i just love characters based on historic persons. and authors on top of that. i love the names of their abilities as well~
i think miyano does a great job as Dazai, I like this character (and his outfit) already.
I also figured out that Atsushi must be the tiger when he claimed that he saw the tiger, but it was actually just a "reflection" he saw, but i liked how it ended nevertheless~

I like supernatural stuffs and this has definitely piqued my interest
I believe in karma what you give is what you get returned~ ♫

Apr 9, 2016 12:21 PM

Definitely some Kekkai Sensen vibes. The humor caught me a little off guard, but it's not too bad

Apr 9, 2016 2:20 PM

It was fun to watch. And the characters design is good.

Apr 9, 2016 3:16 PM

OH MY GOSH finally a good anime in the season. I absolutely loved this, this is my kind of anime! The characters are awesome and all the drama, the comedy and the action work together perfectly! I can't wait for the next episode. ^^

Apr 9, 2016 5:51 PM
Soli The Lewdy

Book about suicide methods XD.

Funny anime.

Apr 9, 2016 6:03 PM

That April is better than I thought. 4/5 for this one.

Apr 9, 2016 7:40 PM

Pretty good. Comedy kinda ruined some of the moments, but it was bearable.

Apr 9, 2016 8:39 PM

This first ep was great and got me really pumped for whatever is to come!
The OP and ED are on point and I love the animation style!
Can't wait to see what'll happen next!! :)

Apr 9, 2016 11:49 PM

Loved
-That suicidal guy
-The funny faces they did
-That my inner fujoshi is awakening

Hated
-The forced comedy moments
-How predictable was the tiger's identity.
-Suicidal guy incorporating our tiger's-hand-mc to the 'team' out of nowhere. So abrupt yet so predictable.

The show has some potential. Let's see.

Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »