Forum Settings
Forums

The pros and cons of your country (Discussion)

New
Apr 5, 2016 3:55 PM

Nov 2015
Oh look at that, the other thread got locked because we weren't discussing our cultural enrichment

Hey, I thought it'd be cool if we listed 3 pros and cons of our countries and explained why we feel that way.

Oh and hey, try to mention what country you're from, so that if someone from the same country as you disagrees you can discuss it ;) or you can discuss why you agree ;) because discussions.

United States:

Pros
-The food. I LOVE my southern cooking, anyone who disagrees with chicken fried steak is mentally ill. It's the best food ever
-The 2nd Amendment, I fucking love my guns more than anything. And I love hunting.
-The cost of food and stuff is super fucking cheap.

Cons:
Hippies. While I love the first amendment, and I support their right to use it, I fucking hate dirty smelly hippies.
Regressive popular culture. I hate how the media is owned by a select group of people who passively brainwash the masses through repetitive subject matter.
The minimum wage- It's too low.

Discuss with me, my fellow Americans, and discuss your cultural enrichment too.
Discuss everything, OR ELSE.

Vor uns liegt MAL, in uns marschiert MAL, und hinter uns, kommt MAL!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2016 4:03 PM
May 2015
So I'm from Australia

Pros:
- The "Outback" I love the tranquility.
- The animals.
- Most of the people are genuinely quite laid back, easy going and funny.

Cons:
- The accent.
- Bogans.
- Everything is fucking expensive.
Innactivedude1Apr 5, 2016 7:19 PM
Apr 5, 2016 4:04 PM

Nov 2015
Rick said:
So I'm from Australia

Pros:
- The animals.
- Beaches and bushwalks.

Cons:
- The accent.
- Bogans.

What's it like being part of the commonwealth territories? And is it scary living in a place where literally everything can kill you? I'd be terrified of swimming for fear of getting stung by one of those box jellyfish.

Apr 5, 2016 4:05 PM

Jan 2009
Philippines

Pros
- foods are delicious
- the language is easy to learn and spell

Cons
- high crime rate especially corruption, well one of the presidential candidate here wants to improve or change that and people like him to be the next president
- prices are expensive for the citizens especially the poor, but foreigners said its so cheap since 1 USA dollar is equal to 45 philippines pesos so you got a lot of foreigners here living when they retire especially retired USA military people
- voters vote for entertainers rather than achievers sometimes or a lot of times, seriously Manny Pacquiao who is just a boxer and dont have much of a education is winning the senatorial race
Apr 5, 2016 4:06 PM

Nov 2015
j0x said:
Philippines

Pros
- foods are delicious

Cons
- high crime rate especially corruption, well one of the presidential candidate here wants to improve or change that and people like him to be the next president
- prices are expensive for the citizens especially the poor, but foreigners said its so cheap since they 1 USA dollar is equal to 45 philippines pesos
- voters vote for entertainers rather than achievers sometimes or a lot of times, seriously Manny Pacquiao who is just a boxer and dont have much of a education is winning the senatorial race

I haven't heard anything about that, are people really voting for an illiterate boxer?

Apr 5, 2016 4:08 PM

Jan 2009
Lothloran said:
j0x said:
Philippines

Pros
- foods are delicious

Cons
- prices are expensive for the citizens especially the poor, but foreigners said its so cheap since they 1 USA dollar is equal to 45 philippines pesos

I haven't heard anything about that, are people really voting for an illiterate boxer?

unfortunately yes, we already have an actor as President in the past too, look up Joseph Estrada
Apr 5, 2016 4:09 PM

Sep 2015
Mexico (and every other Latin American country for that matter):

Pros - Food

Cons - Corruption, drug dealing, violence, unemployment, poverty, contamination, illiteracy, impunity, lack of investment, lack of credit, lack of economy growth, etc.

But the food tho.

Discuss with me, biches.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Apr 5, 2016 4:11 PM

Nov 2015
j0x said:
Lothloran said:

unfortunately yes, we already have an actor as President in the past too, look up Joseph Estrada

Do you know what it is about your culture that has people like that winning the popular votes? I mean.. America had Reagan and Schwarzenegger but they were also very good polititians (in my opinion) well... Reagan maybe not so much, I don't care for the lasting impact of his "Reaganomics"

Apr 5, 2016 4:12 PM

Nov 2015
-Senpai- said:

Pros - Food

Cons - Corruption, drug dealing, violence, unemployment, poverty, contamination, illiteracy, impunity, lack of investment, lack of credit, lack of economy growth, etc.

But the food tho.

Discuss with me, biches.

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor to the bad economic growth?

Apr 5, 2016 4:14 PM

Jan 2009
Lothloran said:
j0x said:

Do you know what it is about your culture that has people like that winning the popular votes? I mean.. America had Reagan and Schwarzenegger but they were also very good polititians (in my opinion) well... Reagan maybe not so much, I don't care for the lasting impact of his "Reaganomics"

i think its because most voters care more about good personality and popularity rather than expertise or education background here, Manny Pacquiao is very popular here and is considered a hero by many so they think that is enough for him to do good in politics
Apr 5, 2016 4:22 PM

Nov 2015
Here we go lads.

England
Pro's

• Everyone loves tea as much as me
  • Free healthcare
  • No guns
  • Beautiful countryside
  • Long, rich history with many interesting landmarks

Con's

• Majoritavely brash, stupid and somewhat racist populace
  • A clusterfuck of accents
  • All political parties are terrible
  • Huge University fees
  • People love tea a little too much, y'know
Apr 5, 2016 4:28 PM

Nov 2015
j0x said:
Lothloran said:

i think its because most voters care more about good personality and popularity rather than expertise or education background here, Manny Pacquiao is very popular here and is considered a hero by many so they think that is enough for him to do good in politics

That's kind of scary, it would be like making a movie star an open heart surgeon

NasalShark said:
Here we go lads.

England
Pro's

• Everyone loves tea as much as me
  • Free healthcare
  • No guns
  • Beautiful countryside
  • Long, rich history with many interesting landmarks

Con's

• Majoritavely brash, stupid and somewhat racist populace
  • A clusterfuck of accents
  • All political parties are terrible
  • Huge University fees
  • People love tea a little too much, y'know

Is it true that the English NEVER wash their teapots? I heard that it was bad manners, but then I heard David Mitchel rant hit angry logic at that on QI and it makes me think... could the lull in British dentistry be the result of rotten tea leafs decaying the enamel on your teeth at an accelerated rate?

Apr 5, 2016 4:34 PM

Nov 2015
Stop being lazy :( Discuss stuff about each other's countries. DO IT NAO

Apr 5, 2016 4:36 PM

Nov 2008
Lothloran said:
j0x said:

Reagan no, Reagan was not a good president outside of foreign policy, Schwarzenegger was alright as a politician, he was in office at a really bad time though due to the financial crisis.

Apr 5, 2016 4:38 PM
May 2015
Lothloran said:
Rick said:
So I'm from Australia

Pros:
- The animals.
- Beaches and bushwalks.

Cons:
- The accent.
- Bogans.

What's it like being part of the commonwealth territories? And is it scary living in a place where literally everything can kill you? I'd be terrified of swimming for fear of getting stung by one of those box jellyfish.

It's actually not a bad as you think when it comes to dangerous creatures roaming about on land and in the sea. I think people tend to exaggerate slightly. Apart from the occasional snake/spider/lizard I rarely stumble across something I'd classify as threatening, and as you mentioned the beaches can be quite dangerous at times. No denying there are some scary animals lurking about though. Most of the real dangerous shit is in the centre of Australia away from the coasts.
Apr 5, 2016 4:39 PM

Sep 2015
Lothloran said:
-Senpai- said:

Discuss with me, biches.

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor to the bad economic growth?
Ourselves as a nation are the problem.

Politicians got it down how to play "us"

1. Cater towards the lowest common denominator, which don't know shiet about politics or economics.
2. Get them votes.
3. Steal everything while you can.

Literally, the current president is one of the most hated presidents of this country, yet, he's still the president. Why? Because his campaign was targeted towards the kind of people that don't understand economics, which are the majority of the population.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Apr 5, 2016 4:41 PM

Nov 2015
Lothloran said:

Is it true that the English NEVER wash their teapots? I heard that it was bad manners, but then I heard David Mitchel rant hit angry logic at that on QI and it makes me think... could the lull in British dentistry be the result of rotten tea leafs decaying the enamel on your teeth at an accelerated rate?

Everyone knows it's the accent that causes crooked yellow teeth. Nothing wears down teeth like a cockney accent. It's like acid in voice form. Just try saying "'Ello Guvnah" three times over, I dare you. By the time you finish you will have three cavities.

And that teapot thing is only really true for a rare few people (old people) now lol, those that follow tradition. Give it a few years and they'll be compost and maybe we will see a rise in dental health
Apr 5, 2016 7:00 PM

Sep 2014
United States

Pros:
+I actually have a job and money in this country.
+Dem Ladies Body Pillows
+The cuisine is diverse.

Cons:
-Everyone is a Bigot
-No one knows how to drive
-Kim Kardashian is worshiped as a god
-The 2016 Presidential Elections
-Internet is slow and my ISP are a bunch of money whoring fucks
Apr 5, 2016 7:01 PM
Feb 2016
My country is Indonesia.
Do you know Indonesia? It’s a country in South-East Asia, lying along the equator.

From my pov
Pros:
- Manga publisher here is great! They published many Japanese mangas (translated version, of course) and update quickly.
- There is many unique plants and animals.
- The foods are delicious.
- The people are nice. Our kinship is strong.
- Consisted of many small tribes with different cultures (even different language), so it’s interesting to meet new people from another province.

Cons:
- It is a tropical country. I know this is kind of blessing, we received almost the same amount of sunlight throughout the year. But I think having 4 season will be interesting. I want to see snow so bad!
- Too many people. The island I live in is the world's most populous island after all. It’s hard to drive a car here lol
- Public transportations are suck
Apr 5, 2016 7:04 PM

Jan 2009
inairsa said:

Do you know Indonesia? It’s a country in South-East Asia, lying along the equator.

yep its just near our country lol

and ye our country has an overpopulation problem too just like yours

what do you think is the solution to the overpopulation problem?
Apr 5, 2016 7:23 PM
May 2015
Elegade said:

-Internet is slow and my ISP are a bunch of money whoring fucks

No matter how slow your internet is I'm willing to bet is isn't as bad as the internet in Australia. Actually I add that to my list of cons. Internet fucking sucks here.. :'(
Apr 5, 2016 7:28 PM
Oct 2014
Brazil

Cons:
-Politics
-(Almost)everything that is public
-Social/economic unequality

Pros:
-Art (especially Literature and Music)
-Food (we basically got a better version of most of other cuisines)
-Nature (animals, plants, landscape, well, at least the stuff that we haven't destroyed so far)
Apr 5, 2016 7:29 PM
Jul 2018
I got two countries I can do...

Germany

America
Apr 5, 2016 7:34 PM

Nov 2008
US

-Very low cost of living outside of the coasts and some other major cities

-BBQ

-Can afford whatever meat I please, and I can get stuff that I thought at one time I would never get to eat locally (Emu, camel milk, ostrich, etc.)

-Nice selection of wild game to eat

Cons

-Major cities are a mess right now and filled with anger and tyranny.

-Rural areas in some places are so neglected (Appalachia especially), I've seen at least 100 ghost towns or near ghost towns (towns with less than 100 people in them) in the US. Politicians don't seem to care either even the GOP which you would think would care about the rural ruin.

-The political system is completely broken, I mean you have senators serving for 47+ years and an election that may end up with a tyrant on each side getting the nomination because superdelegates are tyrants themselves and don't care about anyone but themselves.

-Too much greed and corporate tyranny, and many companies wanting cheap labor in skilled jobs people want instead of training Americans for these jobs and hiring them. There's way too much cronyism in the tech industry.

You have areas where no one but the rich can live and still live at their means (and these aren't gated communities filled with ultra expensive condos and mansions) such as San Fransisco.

Apr 5, 2016 7:35 PM
Oct 2014
Starchaser187 said:
I got two countries I can do...

Germany

America

The first con you think about germany is that stores close too early?? sometimes i wonder why i'm still living in my country

And if you think US politics are bad enough, i suggest you don't ever look up how things are in Brazil ;]
Apr 5, 2016 7:38 PM
Oct 2014
Hoppy said:
US

-Very low cost of living outside of the coasts and some other major cities

-BBQ

You're welcome to come visit Brazil or Argentina sometime to see what truly good BBQ is like.
PS: we call it "Churrasco"
Apr 5, 2016 7:39 PM

Jan 2013
-Senpai- said:

Pros - Food

But the food tho.

Discuss with me, biches.

You forgot the worst thing: Peña Nieto.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Apr 5, 2016 7:42 PM

Nov 2008
Sweet said:
-Senpai- said:

Discuss with me, biches.

Googled him and he's been exposed by those Panama Papers for hiding 100 million dollars.

Apr 5, 2016 7:48 PM
Feb 2016
j0x said:
inairsa said:

yep its just near our country lol

and ye our country has an overpopulation problem too just like yours

what do you think is the solution to the overpopulation problem?

Here, government have made some effort like "family planning" program that socialize about the ideal number of children, usage of contraception, etc. But it's only "suggestion" about ideal number of children, there's no strict rules that limiting the number of children each family can have like in China. So many couple still "produce" kids as much as they want.
So maybe, the government should make a strict rule about it. Because overpopulation is the root of many other problems.
Apr 5, 2016 8:07 PM

Mar 2016
Pros:
1. Great heritage
2. Great elderly population
3. Home of one of the greatest revolutions in Europe

Cons:
1. Women are allowed to vote
2. Can get arrested and imprisoned for discussing historical events
3. Anti-nationalism is encouraged
4. Presence of migrants, especially Muslims
5. Low birth rate for the natives
6. Men are weak
7. Native culture being displaced and suppressed for the sake of multiculturalism
Apr 5, 2016 8:08 PM

Jan 2013
Hoppy said:
Sweet said:

Googled him and he's been exposed by those Panama Papers for hiding 100 million dollars.

I'm not surprised to be honest. He's like one of the shittiest presidents ever.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Apr 5, 2016 8:28 PM

May 2015
Volksdeutsche said:
Pros:
1. Great heritage

Cons:
6. Men are weak
7. Native culture being displaced and suppressed for the sake of multiculturalism

All of your cons are pros and vice versa
Apr 5, 2016 8:46 PM

Mar 2016
Nonnel said:
Volksdeutsche said:
Pros:
1. Great heritage

Cons:
6. Men are weak

If you're a Jew, self-loathing or non-European/non-white, then that explains why.
Apr 5, 2016 8:49 PM

Aug 2013
Indonesia

Pros :
1. Cheap, tasty, and nutritious foods
2. Everyone's quite polite and willing to help you.
3. Strong patriarchy system, especially in Balinese culture, and i'm male so it's very beneficial.
4. Relatively free from first world problems (feminism, PC culture, libertarians)

Cons :
1. Crappy TV shows
2. Corrupt, nepotism-laden government
3. Weak law enforcement. No money, you lose.
4. Hardcore muslim group constantly making up stupid rules.
5. Poverty. Those beggars and homeless people, they're so depressing to look at.
Apr 5, 2016 8:50 PM

May 2015
Volksdeutsche said:
Nonnel said:

If you're a Jew, self-loathing or non-European/non-white, then that explains why.

I'm white and I'm not a racist nationalist if that's what you mean.
Apr 5, 2016 8:52 PM

Mar 2016
Nonnel said:
Volksdeutsche said:

Then you're self-loathing, as I've said.
Apr 5, 2016 8:55 PM

May 2015
Volksdeutsche said:
Nonnel said:

A rational human being, you mean. Thinking of yourself as superior to others is as bad for you as thinking of yourself as inferior to others.
Apr 5, 2016 9:07 PM

Mar 2016
Nonnel said:
Volksdeutsche said:

A rational human being, you mean. Thinking of yourself as superior to others is as bad for you as thinking of yourself as inferior to others.

If you think that's what nationalism is about, then you're gravely mistaken.
Apr 5, 2016 9:18 PM

May 2015
Volksdeutsche said:
Nonnel said:

I was referring to self-loathing, but about nationalism: why is one culture or nation or people better than any other?
Apr 5, 2016 9:50 PM

Mar 2016
Nonnel said:
Volksdeutsche said:

I was referring to self-loathing, but about nationalism: why is one culture or nation or people better than any other?

You have to choose between the life of your family or the life of a random family.

Which one do you choose?

Here's your answer for nationalism.
Apr 5, 2016 9:51 PM
Feb 2014
Volksdeutsche said:
Pros:
1. Great heritage

Cons:
6. Men are weak

Go away Adolf, you're supposed to be dead.
Apr 5, 2016 9:54 PM

Jan 2015
Pros: It's America!!!!!
Cons: It's America....
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 5, 2016 9:56 PM

May 2015
Volksdeutsche said:
Nonnel said:

You have to choose between the life of your family or the life of a random family.

Which one do you choose?

So they're better because... you grew up with them? You didn't really answer my question.
Apr 5, 2016 9:59 PM

Mar 2016
Nonnel said:
Volksdeutsche said:

Which one do you choose?

So they're better because... you grew up with them? You didn't really answer my question.

Kinship.
Preservation of your own.
Apr 5, 2016 10:04 PM

May 2015
Volksdeutsche said:
Nonnel said:

Kinship.

So instead of accepting that everyone on Earth shares being the same species on the same planet, instead of learning to understand different cultures, you'd rather keep them separate. Just because.

Also having your family or a random family killed is not a great analogy. It's more like your family or everyone on your block.
Apr 5, 2016 10:07 PM

Mar 2016
Nonnel said:
Volksdeutsche said:

Kinship.

So instead of accepting that everyone on Earth shares being the same species on the same planet, instead of learning to understand different cultures, you'd rather keep them separate. Just because.

Also having your family or a random family killed is not a great analogy. It's more like your family or everyone on your block.

Learning to understand different cultures doesn't mean I have to jeopardize my own and accommodate them.

I can learn about New Guineans' culture without having to let them co-exist, occupy and breed on my land.
Apr 5, 2016 10:07 PM

Jun 2012
Straya

Pros:
- First world country
- Student loans don't fuck you in the ass like in America
- Solid healthcare system
- Lot of sports shit going on

Cons:
- Weather
- Shit's expensive
- We're pussies who censor and ban everything
- Internet sucks dick
Apr 5, 2016 10:09 PM

May 2015
Volksdeutsche said:
Nonnel said:

Learning to understand different cultures doesn't mean I have to jeopardize my own and accommodate them.

I can learn about New Guineans' culture without having to let them into my land.

Why separate people, though? If someone's born in Papua New Guinea or India or Mexico, what difference does it make?
Apr 5, 2016 10:12 PM

Mar 2016
Nonnel said:
Volksdeutsche said:

I can learn about New Guineans' culture without having to let them into my land.

Why separate people, though? If someone's born in Papua New Guinea or India or Mexico, what difference does it make?

Preservation, security and expansion for your own.
You don't put two males in a cage with one female and not expect bloodshed.
Apr 5, 2016 10:15 PM

May 2015
Volksdeutsche said:
Nonnel said:

Preservation and security for your own.
You don't put two males in a cage with one female and not expect bloodshed.

Why do you need to protect your culture? We're all humans. Again, what's the difference?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

7 by Theo1899 »»
30 seconds ago

» Do you like sport? ( 1 2 3 )

-miharu- - Mar 27, 2019

103 by Ricchan__ »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Too hot or too cold?

56709 - Mar 17

23 by Ricchan__ »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

83 by Ricchan__ »»
10 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - 50 minutes ago

2 by Meusnier »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.