Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 9, 2010 1:31 AM

Mar 2008
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-01-09/funimation/no-more-big-windup-anime-to-be-licensed

Anime said:
On Friday's ANNCast, FUNimation Entertainment guests Adam Sheehan and Lance Heiskell reported that Funimation would not license the second season to the Big Windup! baseball anime. Heiskell credited low sales, saying, "there was not enough of an audience there who bought the series." Heiskell also said the low sales does not warrant Funimation acquiring other titles from the same genre of sports anime.

The second season of Big Windup! (Ookiku Furikabutte) was announced in December. It will premiere in Japan in Spring of 2010.

Funimation acquired the North American rights to the first season of the Ookiku Furikabutte anime under the name Big Windup! in June 2008 and has released the first season's two DVD sets this past August and September.

Episodes from the first season are currently streaming on Hulu.com, Funimation's own website, and ANN. The series adapts Asa Higuchi's manga about Ren Mihashi, a losing pitcher who quit his middle-school baseball team after his teammates harassed him — they think he only became a pitcher because his grandfather ran the school. At high school, Ren is forced to become a pitcher again, but he and his new team eventually recapture the spirit of the game.

Sheehan and Heiskell discuss more topics with ANN's Zac Bertschy and Justin Sevakis in the podcast, including Blu-ray Disc production issues, Funimation's convention plans for the new year, and the company's current co-production initiative.

Update: Funimation confirmed on Thursday that its FLCL anime release will include Synch-Point's English dub. Thanks, kyokun703.

Well this sucks, I enjoyed the English Dub of Season 1.
KidRyanJan 24, 2015 2:12 AM

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Jan 16, 2010 7:26 PM

Apr 2008
OMFG!!! If they're not going to license the Second Season then what hope is there for a 3rd season!?!? (and god forbid, more manga chapters) ={ . I think they should give it more time and chance till they see results...
Jan 16, 2010 8:32 PM

Oct 2008
Kazejimonji said:
OMFG!!! If they're not going to license the Second Season then what hope is there for a 3rd season!?!? (and god forbid, more manga chapters) ={ . I think they should give it more time and chance till they see results...

Well it's not as if Funimation was the one that decided whether or not Big Windup would be green-lit in Japan. They just felt there wouldn't be much sense in distributing the second season. Besides, I think regarding business and profitting, the first impression is usually the most important. The Big Windup DVDs were first released in August 2009 and if even after 5 months did a "sports anime" not make a high number of dvd units, then at that rate the sales aren't likely to increase any higher.

I mean it seems possible for Funimation to consider licensing season 2, but to do that, it would take a lot more than "hoping" and "believing." There's also a matter of getting a mass number of consumers to buy the dvds they have released now, finding every reason for anime fans to purchase $50+ for a 26 episode series as oppose to watching it for free on streaming websites, and convincing sports fans and causal viewers to watch what they would consider well.... a cartoon.
Feb 11, 2010 3:05 PM
Feb 2010
I personally love Big Windup! but that is tremendously sad that they will not license the second season. I love the dubbed version better than the japanese version (and that is really is a first for me). I hope some there's a miracle in the making that they will reconsider licensing it or the sales for Big Windup! go sky rocketing.
Feb 11, 2010 8:56 PM

Oct 2008
SoulofNaruto14 said:
I personally love Big Windup! but that is tremendously sad that they will not license the second season. I love the dubbed version better than the japanese version (and that is really is a first for me). I hope some there's a miracle in the making that they will reconsider licensing it or the sales for Big Windup! go sky rocketing.

I think the method to that "sky-rocketing profit" miracle is to somehow convince mass consumers who like sports but don't like anime and anime fans who don't like sports to find a middle ground into watching this show and find a reason to purchase this series to own and watch on DVD. And I believe getting anime fans to buy the DVDs is slightly more so the problem.
Feb 15, 2010 6:37 AM
Feb 2009
Hypeathon said:
Kazejimonji said:

Well it's not as if Funimation was the one that decided whether or not Big Windup would be green-lit in Japan. They just felt there wouldn't be much sense in distributing the second season. Besides, I think regarding business and profitting, the first impression is usually the most important. The Big Windup DVDs were first released in August 2009 and if even after 5 months did a "sports anime" not make a high number of dvd units, then at that rate the sales aren't likely to increase any higher.

I mean it seems possible for Funimation to consider licensing season 2, but to do that, it would take a lot more than "hoping" and "believing." There's also a matter of getting a mass number of consumers to buy the dvds they have released now, finding every reason for anime fans to purchase $50+ for a 26 episode series as oppose to watching it for free on streaming websites, and convincing sports fans and causal viewers to watch what they would consider well.... a cartoon.

Yes , I have seen the series and loved everything about it! I loved the art the most. So I would purchas the series. Do they have a boxset or something do you know of?
Feb 15, 2010 10:26 AM

Aug 2008
good, funmation doesn't deserve such a great nime
Feb 17, 2010 6:01 AM

Oct 2008
Muggleish said:
Yes , I have seen the series and loved everything about it! I loved the art the most. So I would purchas the series. Do they have a boxset or something do you know of?

What, 13 episodes at a time isn't good enough? Anyway, no, there isn't a complete box set. But I think that's another problem I neglected to mention about Big Windup that both Adam and Lance mentioned. Despite there being fans of the show, the problem was (at least according to what they said) that people were waiting to the price to lower or for there to be a complete box set release.

While I'm not totally sure that was the problem with Big Windup, I do believe that's the case with many other titles in which some fans wait for a price drop or a complete box set. And I get that fans want more bang for their buck and that $50 for 13 episodes with dual audio and maybe an extra seems pricey (especially for those that say, they don't have the money). Though it's not as if anime on home video hasn't become more and more convient over time
HypeathonFeb 17, 2010 6:04 AM
Feb 19, 2010 9:16 AM

Feb 2008
What was the point dubbing Oofuri in the first place if they won't do the 2nd season? It all about the money I say...
Feb 19, 2010 7:12 PM

Oct 2008
-Shini- said:
What was the point dubbing Oofuri in the first place if they won't do the 2nd season? It all about the money I say...

Well yeah, it's probably about the money everywhere in media and entertainment, but definitely the anime market in America. My guess is Funimation thought that if they were going to take a risk on a sports-themed anime title (and were probably well aware that sports anime aren't usually a financial success in the states), they might as well have gone all out with the dub, and see if that could make any difference.
Mar 31, 2010 8:15 PM

Dec 2009
Good. This anime is making Funimation look bad anyway.

This anime sucks. I'm shocked there's even a 2nd season.
Mar 31, 2010 10:40 PM

May 2009
Rail_Tracer said:

wow your insane... even if this anime was bad there are alot or animes that are WAY worse but this anime doesn't suck so yeah
Apr 1, 2010 10:20 AM

Dec 2009
rpn101 said:
Rail_Tracer said:

wow your insane... even if this anime was bad there are alot or animes that are WAY worse but this anime doesn't suck so yeah

Yes there is more animes that are worse then this one, but it dosn't change the fact that this anime is an abomination. I don't know how anybody can even like this. It's just so horrific.
Apr 6, 2010 10:04 PM
Dec 2008
hornygirl14 said:
Rail_Tracer said:

Yes there is more animes that are worse then this one, but it dosn't change the fact that this anime is an abomination. I don't know how anybody can even like this. It's just so horrific.

Yeah too bad Ookiku Furikabutte doesn't have the pantie shots and bouncing tits that Ladies vs. Butlers has to make it onto your favorites list

Rail_Tracer is a troller of the worst kind. Ignore it.
Apr 7, 2010 5:21 PM

Jul 2007
You know, it /might/ be easier for people to buy the first season if they could FIND IT IN STORES. *has been looking for EVER*
May 2, 2010 3:08 PM
Mar 2009
I actually had to buy both of my box sets online. Otherwise it is a very difficult show to find. I am also very disappointed that season 2 won't have an English dub, because I loved it! I understand the business standpoint of Funimation though. Just like any other company, they need to earn profits and for whatever reason the show didn't sell well in the US.
May 27, 2010 7:37 AM
Oct 2009
I was on the verge of crying when I had saw that FUNi wasn't gonna license the second season. I still think about it all the time and it makes me feel horrible. The reason being because I really loved the show and it went straight to #1 on my favorite animes list. I think everyone should at least give the show a chance and if they don't like it then they should move on to something else. I can understand why FUNimation didn't get the second season. I got my boxsets last christmas though I had to buy them online. That doesn't bother me much. I have heard that there will be a full season boxset coming later this year.
May 29, 2010 9:26 PM

Apr 2009
Baby_Naruto said:
(I REFUSE to watch it subbed or RAW).

Why? That's just stupid.
Jun 19, 2010 6:54 AM

Aug 2008
Heibi said:
hornygirl14 said:
Rail_Tracer said:

Yeah too bad Ookiku Furikabutte doesn't have the pantie shots and bouncing tits that Ladies vs. Butlers has to make it onto your favorites list

Rail_Tracer is a troller of the worst kind. Ignore it.

totally agreed with Heibi!
Aug 10, 2010 8:31 PM
May 2010
ridojiri said:
To be fair, I bought first season. Started playing episode 1. Was utterly speechless by end.
Turned audio onto Japanese with Eng Subs on.

Waitwhatwhy?? The dub was awesome!
Feb 28, 2011 8:28 PM

Feb 2009
Really depressing, especially considering that I WANT to buy season one but I can't find it bloody anywhere. I'm going to wait for Otafest to roll around so I actually have some hope in finding it, but it really didn't get any advertising and it's hard as Hell to find when buying online isn't an option. It was like they were setting it up for failure. Not to mention now I'm having a hard time finding season 2 (Thank goodness for FUNimations youtube channel... I wouldn't have seen season 1 otherwise).

CYAN12 said:
good, funmation doesn't deserve such a great nime

And why not? FUNimation does not get the credit it deserves. They're fairly cheap, do a decent job on their dubs and actually are pretty fair with their fans. What is with all the hate?

-Shini- said:

Well duh. No one makes a company and keeps it successful without thinking about profit. No profit, no actors, no liscensing, no distributing, no dubs. Everything boils down to money, just like an other industry.

ridojiri said:
To be fair, I bought first season. Started playing episode 1. Was utterly speechless by end.
Turned audio onto Japanese with Eng Subs on.

The dub is amazing, I have no idea what you were watching :/ This is one series where the dub is FAR superior.
May 15, 2011 3:06 PM
May 2011
I know this topics a little old so maybe you've already found it maybe not, but big windup is avalible now as a S.A.V.E anime for about $30 found on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Windup-Complete-S-V/dp/B003NE8B6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305496660&sr=8-1

Hopefully Funi will eventually make enough sales and will lisence the second season, (maybe even the 3rd if there is one) but we can't all just sit around waiting for everyone else, we gotta do it too
May 20, 2011 12:15 PM

Jun 2007
-Shini- said:
Because the second season didn't even exist when they licensed the first?
Jul 11, 2011 12:40 PM
Feb 2011
are these episodes in english btw? and if so are they the same voice actors? sorry this may be a dumb question
Jul 16, 2011 8:14 PM
Dec 2008
ryriryan said:
are these episodes in english btw? and if so are they the same voice actors? sorry this may be a dumb question

The torrents are subtitled but not dubbed. Funimation has stated that they will not try to acquire anymore Oofuri.
Jun 29, 2013 5:40 PM
Oct 2011
Rail_Tracer said:
rpn101 said:
Rail_Tracer said:

So what animes do you like? Ones with have naked people or solely action and no story line? Another question is do you even like or play baseball or sports in general. the fact that its rated above an 8 means that your opinion doesn't mean a lot to the thousands of people that liked it. Why would you even post an opinion that isn't needed in the first place and looks like a cry for attention. It IS a cry for attention actually when you post in a place with everyone else supporting the anime.

What exactly is so bad about it? What makes it an abomination in your eyes. The fact that you had ladies vs. butlers as a favorite shows exactly what you think it was missing.
Jun 29, 2013 5:43 PM

Jun 2007
vanessasaurus555 said:

What exactly is so bad about it? What makes it an abomination in your eyes. The fact that you had ladies vs. butlers as a favorite shows exactly what you think it was missing.

Sep 19, 2017 7:27 PM
Jan 2015
I had just posted something about this article on FB. It's kind of amusing how they said they'd probably never license another sports anime again, but here we are in 2017 and sports anime are way more popular than 2010 funimation could ever imagine. One could only hope that because of the rise in popularity maybe the second season gets a dub (but that means they'd have to license that) and maybe Japan decides on a season 3, but who knows. In the meantime we'll just have to wait and see .--.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookiku Furikabutte ~Natsu no Taikai Hen~ Episode 2 Discussion

ridojiri - Apr 12, 2010

32 by TRC_Randy »»
Feb 12, 8:29 AM

» Any chances for season 3?

ToG25thBaam - Sep 22, 2013

16 by Flameskrrfox »»
Dec 1, 2022 2:28 AM

Poll: » Ookiku Furikabutte ~Natsu no Taikai Hen~ Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

nami_k - Jun 25, 2010

80 by _winterbear_ »»
Sep 11, 2022 12:45 PM

Poll: » Ookiku Furikabutte ~Natsu no Taikai Hen~ Episode 3 Discussion

ridojiri - Apr 17, 2010

26 by yutaka_shin »»
Sep 9, 2021 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ookiku Furikabutte ~Natsu no Taikai Hen~ Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

nami_k - Jun 17, 2010

85 by lizzziziz »»
Aug 16, 2021 7:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.