Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2016 9:54 PM

Jun 2011
I really like psychological battle anime. I watched Joker Game (the live action movie ver.) few weeks back & I have to say I'm quite impressed with the series. Hope this anime version will deliver what the movie missed.
Apr 5, 2016 10:03 PM

Jul 2013
This looks very promising, as a 4ht year student of International relationships this anime seems to be right up my alley, really cool to see political views from WWII period that are not american... I'm really looking forward for next episodes..

Also, people are honestly complaining about character development in the first freaking episode... sasuga MAL
Apr 5, 2016 10:03 PM

Apr 2013
KaedeKyl9 said:
???? i can tell about their faces and names, i guess all of you are lazy to remember, or want more colorful features like typical modern anime?
"but i need the characters to have different hair colors to tell them apart QQ" - this community
Apr 5, 2016 10:05 PM
Nov 2009
Lol, why are people projecting onto Sakuma as the protagonist (Sorry, "MC"). He's our POV character in this episode because he's the only character who isn't a narcissistic sociopath. I don't think he's going to be particularly important compared to anyone else, he's not even in the final group shot of the OP.
Apr 5, 2016 10:08 PM
Nov 2015
ichii_1 said:
Fai said:

The only countries comparable to Japan in terms of atrocities during WW2 are Soviet Union and Nazi Germany.
"others did it too" is not an excuse.
What USA did in Hiroshima in Nagasaki was a war crime. So was everything japs did in their little invasion to china and attack on pearl harbor.

And yet the US and alot of other countries doesn't see what they did as war crimes just like the Japanese, so why aren't you bashing 'murica when they do their nationalist propaganda?

ichii_1 said:
A_Little_Birdy said:

The thing is Japan likes to glorify their war efforts when it is in truth just genocide, torture and rape. I am not an American but even I can tell the propaganda themes in this show like the part where they made japan look like the Victims in that television broadcast flashback about how they got tricked or some shit like that.

It sickens me even today that they would pull out the victim card despite the atrocities that they have done, the people in Japan must be brainwashed to the max to even be able to believe what they did was right.

Every county has those war crimes, so why are you so focused on Japan?
Do you think america, france, korea etc.. are truly sorry for all the genocide they have committed and hidden? america is proud they nuked hundred of thousands of people and have never paid for their crimes, keep being brainwashed.

How am I brainwashed when I don't even live in Mucia?.. Also I never said what they did wasn't a war crime but compared to what Japan did in ww2, it is nowhere near as inhumane.

Also I am probably gonna get hated for this by I fully support America Nuking Japan back then, it is well deserve for the atrocities they did.
Apr 5, 2016 10:11 PM

Aug 2015
The first episode whet my appetite for sure. I love how heartless the spies are. I hope this show is about more than just them pulling cruel practical jokes on the main character, though, as entertaining as that is. I'd really enjoy a darker and more psychological theme.
All the characters are drawn so attractively... let the inevitable lewd fanart and shipping begin.
Apr 5, 2016 10:14 PM

Jul 2013
A_Little_Birdy said:
ichii_1 said:

And yet the US and alot of other countries doesn't see what they did as war crimes just like the Japanese, so why aren't you bashing 'murica when they do their nationalist propaganda?

ichii_1 said:

Do you think america, france, korea etc.. are truly sorry for all the genocide they have committed and hidden? america is proud they nuked hundred of thousands of people and have never paid for their crimes, keep being brainwashed.

How am I brainwashed when I don't even live in Mucia?.. Also I never said what they did wasn't a war crime but compared to what Japan did in ww2, it is nowhere near as inhumane.

Also I am probably gonna get hated for this by I fully support America Nuking Japan back then, it is well deserve for the atrocities they did.

The fact that you dont know how can murica brainwash you even if you dont live there already tells me you are brainwashed by them... You can't see it but you are my friend...

I reccomend studying politcs in depht, and looking for alternative media channels if you wish to, lets say, "free" yourself.

Also Im not even gonna give you hate for your last phrase, you clearly dont know what you are talking about, so it would be unfair to expect something else
Apr 5, 2016 10:22 PM
Nov 2015
Patureau said:
A_Little_Birdy said:

The fact that you dont know how can murica brainwash you even if you dont live there already tells me you are brainwashed by them... You can't see it but you are my friend...

I reccomend studying politcs in depht, and looking for alternative media channels if you wish to, lets say, "free" yourself.

Also Im not even gonna give you hate for your last phrase, you clearly dont know what you are talking about, so it would be unfair to expect something else

Actually I do know, But I don't watch shits like TV nor interact with other medias much so I doubt I am brainwashed, and considering I view feel America in a positive light either as I think currently that country is closer to a cesspool more than anything.

Nobody is going to study how to bullshit in depth..

And how the heck do I not know what I am talking about?.. Considering I am from China, I know full well what Japan did to us so it is completely justified that Japan gets nuked.
Apr 5, 2016 10:27 PM

Apr 2015
Very intense episode but it's kept me drawn in the whole time, not even once I thought "Ugh this is boring." The opening and ending soundtracks were amazing I love them both, the voice acting was great and the animation was spot on. This will definitely be one of the anime's that I'll be looking forward to watching each week.
Apr 5, 2016 10:33 PM

Jul 2013
A_Little_Birdy said:
Patureau said:

Actually I do know, But I don't watch shits like TV nor interact with other medias much so I doubt I am brainwashed, and considering I view feel America in a positive light either as I think currently that country is closer to a cesspool more than anything.

Nobody is going to study how to bullshit in depth..

And how the heck do I not know what I am talking about?.. Considering I am from China, I know full well what Japan did to us so it is completely justified that Japan gets nuked.

Sure bro sure, look I don't really want to start an argument, but I feel bad if I don't at least try to open peoples eyes, so all I will say is that several things you said actually make no sense, specially if you have an understanding of what goes behind the curtains of this world, and I'm talking real understanding. Again I urge you to seek other forms of thought, be open to new ideas, and dont take any information as absolute thruth, mankind is not a perfect equasion, its not math.

Thats all I'm saying in this matter, an anime forum is not really the place for this discussion, so I'm not gonna continue after this... but if you do feel interested in my words, feel free to pm about it, I am not the most suited person to teach you this kind of stuff but I can at least point you the right direction =)
Apr 5, 2016 11:15 PM
Nov 2013
The MC is kind of gullible, actually very gullible. I really liked the atmosphere of the show, it was very intense and I think the music made it even more so.

Excellent first episode. The pacing was slow, but i can tell that shit is gonna go down.
Apr 5, 2016 11:25 PM

Dec 2012

No, it wasn't justified. Neither the targets, the means, or the situation required frying those people to dust.

However, it marked the advent of the Cold War and the splitting of the world in no less atrocious and stupid way imaginable. Your country did take a good part of it, as well as mine. So let us not pretend that propaganda, nationalism, revanchism, and cruelty applies to other countries only.
Apr 5, 2016 11:27 PM

May 2015
I can actually say that this show "CAPTURE MY ATTENTION" looking forward to the next one!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2016 11:31 PM

Jul 2012
Gonna have a hard time differentiating the characters.. Hopefully I'll have them down by the end :p

I'm guessing that they're planning to plant evidence, but haven't done it yet just to fuck with Sakuma lmao.
Apr 5, 2016 11:39 PM

Jul 2013
This is a great start. But I wonder how long will the MC(?) behave in that way. Being foreign, I can take so much of another's country propaganda.
Apr 6, 2016 12:34 AM

Mar 2016
Really loved that episode!! It kept my attention the whole time and it is just intense. The characters are interesting (I think there'll be some nice little twists), the story is thrilling and the whole setting is very cool (The idea of a spy school for ordinary(?) people is just great. Additionally, the OST, OP and ED are pretty good as well (they have a bit of an James Bond flair). I'm sure that the MC will have an interesting character development throughout the series.
I'm pretty excited for the next episode.
Apr 6, 2016 12:43 AM

Mar 2016
Wouldn't be surprised if some stupidass SJW gives this 1/10 because it's "misogynist" for nonexistent female characters lol

Fai said:

- Sausage main characters. Not a single female character. Seriously is it so hard to add female characters?

Gosh, please don't tell me you're one of them -.-

Anyway I like this episode so far. Gonna take some time for me to differ one from another tho. High-end seiyuu(s) sure help me in this case (even though I don't have the best hearing -.-)
No seriously.
Apr 6, 2016 12:46 AM
Apr 2016
I hope the guy who got setup dies, patriots are the worst thing in this world, next to feminazis.
Apr 6, 2016 1:03 AM

Aug 2013
NoobStomper said:
patriots are the worst thing in this world.

OK, give me your country. I don't even know what to say. Dumbest post of the year.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 6, 2016 1:32 AM
Apr 2016
rsc-pl said:
NoobStomper said:
patriots are the worst thing in this world.

OK, give me your country. I don't even know what to say. Dumbest post of the year.

Oh did your Jimmies get rustled by my statement?... let me guess you are some patriot who love your country oh so much because they brainwashed you.
Apr 6, 2016 1:56 AM

Jan 2015
Skip.
Definitely not my cup of tea
Apr 6, 2016 1:57 AM

Aug 2013
NoobStomper said:
let me guess you are some patriot who love your country oh so much because they brainwashed you.

My God. I really feel sorry for you.
Let me tell you one thing. If patriots wouldn't exist, your country wouldn't exist either. And you are the one who is brainwashed, probably by leftist ideologists.
End of topic, because it's offtopic.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 6, 2016 2:09 AM

Jan 2014
StupidityKiller said:
ichii_1 said:

ichii_1 said:

That is exactly what we called brain-washed,

You probably don't know anything about U.S and it's allies war crime in China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Europe, Middle East etc etc massarcred, raped many hundreds of thousands, using chemical warfare, comfort women system, using drone to kill random people, bombing civilian, etc etc and guess what? Murica has never ever apologise and trying to compensate for what they did, they whitewashed all of them as if they are doing it for greater good.

I won't deny Japan has commited war crime, but Japan has done quite great deal to resolve the hatred though modern Japan has nothing to do with militaristic Japan of WW2, as for my country they officially apology and contribute a lot to it's development, Japan also compensate alot to South Korea, etc etc it is never enough to heal people heart completely, but at the very least they has done something, what exactly Murica and it's allies has done? almost nothing at all.

Comparing "inhumane", people with hyporcites mindset like you and some member here this mindset is cancer to human culture development.

I think rather than judge a piece of art by these ugly prejudices, we should judge it for what it is, the plot, the setting, the characters, etc, it also said pretty clearly that it is not base on RL historical event, to put it simply, this Imperial Japan, has nothing to do with Imperial Japan of WW2.
rorimoeApr 6, 2016 2:13 AM
Apr 6, 2016 2:15 AM
Apr 2016
rsc-pl said:
NoobStomper said:
let me guess you are some patriot who love your country oh so much because they brainwashed you.

Let me tell you one thing. If patriots wouldn't exist, your country wouldn't exist either. And you are the one who is brainwashed, probably by leftist ideologists.

If patriots didn't exist, the conflicts that leads to "our" countries destruction wouldn't exist either so try again, brainwashed kiddo.
NoobStomperApr 6, 2016 2:18 AM
Apr 6, 2016 2:16 AM

Mar 2011
Not a single second of boredom from my part. Will be sure to watch this one.
Apr 6, 2016 2:28 AM

Jan 2014
NoobStomper said:
rsc-pl said:

If patriots didn't exist, the conflicts that leads to "our" countries destruction wouldn't exist either so try again, brainwashed kiddo.

do you seriously think human race is that stupid?

I dare say not in a million year human civilisation would be destroyed, though sometimes it seems like we facing our destruction, but the ugly and selfish heart of human being won't let that happen.

btw, war and conflicts are much deeper than that, sometimes it not necessary has anything to do with patriotism.
Apr 6, 2016 2:34 AM

Jan 2015
Best first episode this season.
Apr 6, 2016 2:35 AM

Jul 2011
I love the intensity of the first episode. It's nice how we get insight into the 8 spies through the naive, moral and militaristic MC. He represents the period well in how blind he is to his own nationalism. That ending was interesting. I was thinking one of the spies would plant evidence, but they all declared the house was clear?

This is going to need a lot more development to become really good, but Production IG is doing splendid as always and we seem to be getting into some political intrigue. :D
Apr 6, 2016 2:40 AM
Apr 2016
katsuhan said:
NoobStomper said:

do you seriously think human race is that stupid?

I dare say not in a million year human civilisation would be destroyed, though sometimes it seems like we facing our destruction, but the ugly and selfish heart of human being won't let that happen.

btw, war and conflicts are much deeper than that, sometimes it not necessary has anything to do with patriotism.

When I meant destroyed, I don't mean in the it gets obliterated sense but rather it gets taken over by another nation and then stripped off its identity.
Apr 6, 2016 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
Nice ep, ost, visuals, everything was great.

Was always interested to see political views from the Axis, so yeah I will stick with this show.

Since sakuma is listed as supporting character, maybe he will die? Dunno.
Apr 6, 2016 3:10 AM

Sep 2009
I like it when you learn stuff in anime >.<
Apr 6, 2016 3:29 AM

Jun 2013
This show has an intriguing premise, and the first episode did not betray my expectations. Contrary to what some commentators said, the episode did not glorify Imperial Japan at all; it merely laid out the facts as it is and leaves the viewers to draw their own conclusion.

Consider the date at the start of this episode, autumn of Showa 12 (1937). Any astute viewer with some knowledge of WWII in East Asia will immediately recognise it as the beginning of the Second Sino-Japanese War. And in fact, that is what is shown in this episode, with the newspaper vendor hollering how their troops have landed in Qingdao already and women stitching senninbari for the soldiers. War has already begun, but this show does not attempt to pass any judgement on it, neither praise nor condemnation, because its real interest is in telling the story about the characters who live in the shadows of the war - the spies.

This is where things get tricky of course, but since this episode goes all out to demonstrate the foolishness of Lt. Sakuma, who epitomises the Imperial Japanese Army, I am confident that this series will deconstruct all the ideals that Lt. Sakuma is proud of - the very ideals that propelled the Japanese to commit all those atrocities during the war. Call me optimistic, and I hope to retain this feeling for the next 11 weeks.
Apr 6, 2016 3:31 AM
Dec 2015
I don't know why people said that Sakuma was MC in this series.
I read a little bit of Novel. This series have so much MC just like Baccano/Durarara, they're all MC in their own. I guess you must wait 'till episode 3 when "The Puzzle" start.
Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Apr 6, 2016 3:44 AM

Dec 2013
Poor Sakuma got screwed over pretty badly there. He's going to have to make a run for it.
Apr 6, 2016 3:52 AM

Jan 2014
what awesome is that they lying over and over, I got surprise when Myoshi told Sakuma that none of them know any foreign language, well it probably a lie, as spy working oversea they probably all learn some foreign language in the academy.

Sakuma is a real honest guy, he can't even see through this and got trapped, too hyped, I wonder what will happen.
Apr 6, 2016 4:05 AM

Jul 2013
It's been a while since a first episode got me that hooked and interested.
THe premise looks promising, the art is actually really pretty, the cast is amazing and I'm really looking forward to learning more about the characters. Give me more :3
"The closer you get to the light the greater your shadow becomes."

Apr 6, 2016 4:48 AM

Feb 2014
For a first episode, this was very good.

The whole premise of the show is very interesting and kept my full attention from start to finish. Considering the situation Sakuma is in, I do wonder how he'll get out of it without screwing up.

As expected of Production I.G, their art and animation is excellent, as are the OP & ED songs used.

With plenty of MC's, it has that similar feel to Baccano and Durarara, so I'm hoping that the 8 "monsters" with have some decent screentime and development in this 12-episode run.
Apr 6, 2016 4:51 AM

Jun 2013
katsuhan said:
what awesome is that they lying over and over, I got surprise when Myoshi told Sakuma that none of them know any foreign language, well it probably a lie, as spy working oversea they probably all learn some foreign language in the academy.

No, I believe Miyoshi said that the military police whom he and his mates were impersonating as would not be proficient in foreign languages at all, thus necessitating his role of playing the interpreter for the raid.
Apr 6, 2016 4:51 AM
Jul 2018
One thing bugs me: does a nation use its own citizen as a spy instead of recruiting and training a native of the target country? It's very conspicuous to have a white guy japanese as a spy in a country of xenophobes with intense nationalism. Or maybe that's how it goes in the 1930's but still.. it doesn't make sense.
Apr 6, 2016 4:52 AM

Sep 2009
Fai said:
Not a single female character. Seriously is it so hard to add female characters?

Are you sure? There is a female character, advice to you check it again;
http://myanimelist.net/character/138154/Marie_Torres

Maybe not main female but at least it's not all-male casted show.

Apr 6, 2016 4:56 AM

Jan 2016
That was awesome ep, the build up atmosphere and the tension really good!! Love it xD
My favorite anime so far for this season, can't wait for next ep.
Apr 6, 2016 5:02 AM

Jun 2013
the Op and ED are good and holy crap that was intense
Apr 6, 2016 5:05 AM
Oct 2013
FINALLY!! Some new fresh air, lately all of anime i watched relate to high school setting, so this one is savior besides the first episode intense as hell.. Definitely one of the best for spring season
Apr 6, 2016 5:14 AM

Feb 2012
rsc-pl said:

You said it. Without patriots countries wouldn't exist. And wouldn't that be a good thing?

In an ideal world countries wouldn't exist at all, we would be united as human species.
Apr 6, 2016 5:30 AM

Aug 2013
BennyDelon said:
rsc-pl said:

You said it. Without patriots countries wouldn't exist. And wouldn't that be a good thing?

In an ideal world countries wouldn't exist at all, we would be united as human species.

There is no such thing like ideal world/humans etc. And there will never be. Or maybeyou want to live in world which we know from Psycho Pass?

And, do you really want to live in a world without history, traditions, many cultures? is this something which you really want? Well. I don't want world like this.
rsc-plApr 6, 2016 7:19 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 6, 2016 6:11 AM

Feb 2016
I don't understand most of this episode
Mr360AttAckApr 6, 2016 7:51 PM
Apr 6, 2016 6:13 AM

Dec 2015
+1 for the opening song, and another +1 for the ending. Really nice.

Thrilling episode at least. Will keep watching the anime.

Still so many anime to start this season... This season I want to watch more than I can :(
Apr 6, 2016 6:21 AM

Oct 2012
Promising first episode. I like the quality.
Apr 6, 2016 6:45 AM

Jun 2013
Great first episode. The reason they all look the same is probably because they're not supposed to stand out, so they picked plain looking guys. I'm sure as we move along we'll be to tell them apart. Miyoshi already stands out among them. I'm really liking him so far.

OP's great, too.
Apr 6, 2016 6:46 AM
Feb 2009
damn I like the atmosphere of this show cant wait for next ep
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

1 by NemuriNezumi »»
Jan 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2016

154 by canadianvice »»
Oct 28, 2022 4:17 PM

» Why such low score ?

Shomix - May 21, 2016

22 by ina6_- »»
Jul 9, 2022 8:13 AM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2016

207 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:52 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2016

178 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.