Forum Settings
Forums

Are you guys reading the manga after finishing the anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 11, 2016 6:45 AM
Apr 2016
ShizukuViolet said:
What about you guys?

It's much more comfortable for me to read the manga, which means that in some instances I'll drop the anime outright in favor of it.
May 11, 2016 7:32 AM

Nov 2013
If I'm interested to see the continuation, I'll read the manga after finishing the anime. Depending on people's opinion about the adaptation (good or bad), I read from ch 1 if needed.

Recently my 'currently reading' list got bigger, and it's hard to follow many manga, so I put some on my 'plan to read' list so I won't forgot what series I should read.
May 11, 2016 7:33 AM
May 2014
It honestly depends because unlike you lazy can't be bothered to read people mangas are ridiculously easy to run through more so than an anime is because there's no have to keep up wi the pacing of the backgroun music and text speed as well as spped of the line readings by voice actors and in cases where the subbing is just god awful to the point where I an American can pick problems in the translations *cough* Kodomo no Omocho *coughh*I think that some mangas are worth reading even if you haven't watched the anime and sometimes even light novels are worth reading, for example I much preferred the light novel version of high school dxd to its anime counterparts I'm not entirely sure why but probably because the retardness is explained better. Naruto is better in manga version because of the lack of fillers but more importantly gives way better pan shots for talk no jutsu, there's something to be said about the like 3 page split of naruto talking at (not to) sasuke at the bridge. Some shows like OreImo which I watched anime first refuse to even rewatch the show let alone read the manga but even a show like Familiar of Zero is an incredible read in light novel form the manga is good but I prefer the light novel to the manga. 95% of shoujou manga are better in their original mediums than in anime form such as Kaichou and School Rumble. Some shows even stick to manga material almost religiously Shokugeki no Soma and Bakuman are two shows where it's hard to rate which is better but I like the Shokugeki no Soma anime slightly better than the manga because the jokes flow really well and Erina's mad face is freaking hysterical animated. Bakuman manga is better than anime but that took me like 20 minutes to actually decide. I have taken to mangas when the ending of a show was literally like I'm gonna punch a hole in the wall (I wish I could say Major but the manga ending sucked too) but some really rise above what's in the anime. For the record my biggest problem with Japan's culture is how they like open endings for whatever reason, what's the saying if you try to catch two hares you will end up with none (lol school days). Trinity sevens manga is good but the anime fits the characters to their roles perfectly and the actresses and the main lead knock it out of the park with how natural the work flows. I could probably continue but I'm feeling like I'm getting further away from my original objective I really think shows like welcome to the nhk stand put when the animes rise above their original works cause I hated the manga ending and regression at the end but I like their increased usage of drugs in the light novel version as it was more realistic of an idea anyway but the anime had a few poignant scenes that were done better in the anime than e manga and the ending of the anime is just so much better then the manga ending but you still need to read it, it's really strange how some manga are like that. Ashita no joe is a great manga but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna watch dem fights in an anime. Endings usually do it for me in terms of transitioning to manga from an anime because it's he easiest way to find it if you like a series but god damn fist of the north star is nothing less than one of the greatest mangas I've ever read in my life (then again I've only read about 300ish). Reading the mangas before watching the anime is setting yourself up to be let down because mangas usually have more depth than anime counterparts but I really do have to respect that type of fortitude because I hope you didn't have to experience Schools days twice, I guess all I can say is gombare KaoruMatsuoka-san.
msrcaliMay 11, 2016 7:42 AM
How fitting (or depressing I haven't decided) for my 100th post to be about me complaining about dicks who review shows without finishing them.
May 11, 2016 7:35 AM

Dec 2014
rarely manga.. I tend to watch anime solely
May 11, 2016 7:36 AM
May 2014
Royal7Knight said:
No, I like anime not manga. I have no interest in reading any.
it's really funny because the manga for toradora is better than e anime lollllllllllllll, you're a genius, really.
How fitting (or depressing I haven't decided) for my 100th post to be about me complaining about dicks who review shows without finishing them.
May 11, 2016 7:38 AM

Aug 2015
If I really feel the necessity of reading a manga , I usually do it BEFORE watching the anime
May 11, 2016 8:07 AM

Dec 2015
I usually watch the anime first. If it's going to have a second season not aired yet, I'll watch the already finished one and then try to catch up with the manga before its release date.
May 11, 2016 8:47 AM

Sep 2015
Well, I often do. Either if I like an anime a lot and want to find out how the original compares. Or I dislike the anime, but think the concept is interesting and want to find out if the original handled it better. Or an anime is good but done primarily to sell the manga. It usually ends after one season and oftentimes on a cliffhanger so I want to know what happens next.
May 11, 2016 8:49 AM
Dec 2011
Well, sometimes I do. It depends. I read ERASED when I was still watching it's anime counterpart. And I read Soul Eater after finishing the anime. But I don't normally read manga unless it's really good.
May 11, 2016 9:48 AM

Jun 2015
msrcali said:
Royal7Knight said:
No, I like anime not manga. I have no interest in reading any.
it's really funny because the manga for toradora is better than e anime lollllllllllllll, you're a genius, really.

If I don't like a medium of entertainment I'm not going to enjoy it. It's a very simple concept. The quality of the manga is irrelevant, I don't like the medium. Don't need to be a 'genius' to understand this very simple concept.
May 11, 2016 10:02 AM

Dec 2010
95% of the times I read the manga before watching the anime. Or it's more like I end up watching adaptations of manga I've already been reading for a long time...
Anyway, I'm the "original first" type.
May 11, 2016 10:29 AM

Jan 2016
Well, since I just only started reading manga. I'm only reading 3 manga with anime adaptations. Though, it may increase in the next couple of months or years.
May 11, 2016 10:30 AM

Dec 2015
YEs i always watch.......................................
May 11, 2016 10:31 AM

Mar 2016
I'll read the manga if:

1. I REALLY liked the show and want to see it again in another format
2. The show didn't cover the entire manga and I want to know what happens next
3. Someone recommends the manga to me when they hear I've seen the show
May 11, 2016 10:36 AM
Apr 2016
I, too, read the manga from the beginning after I watch the anime. I read it from the start because the series may be sometimes different from the manga.
May 11, 2016 10:55 AM

Mar 2013
Rarely. I just read it if the anime was over the top quality and not getting S2.
May 11, 2016 5:15 PM

Jan 2011
With long running things ie long Shounen shows like one piece I caught up on anime then read Manga from start to compare how close it was to anime.
Not often do I do that but occasionally I do
May 11, 2016 5:44 PM
Jan 2015
Only if I liked the anime a lot and don't have the patience to wait for a second season(even more so if there won't be a second season).
My Queens

May 13, 2016 12:37 PM
May 2014
Royal7Knight said:
msrcali said:

If I don't like a medium of entertainment I'm not going to enjoy it. It's a very simple concept. The quality of the manga is irrelevant, I don't like the medium. Don't need to be a 'genius' to understand this very simple concept.
don't use your self-righteous bullshit on me just admit to the fact that you're too lazy to read all it is. Nice try taking the lol "moral high road" I can like whatever I like is equivalent to Eric Cartman saying: "Screw you guys I'm going home". If I don't like the medium hahahahaha that funny no really it is, I'm saying you're a genius because you live by the saying ignorance is bliss the reason I'm calling you an idiot is because you're so close-minded to this idea to the point if I ever saw your post again In another forum I would disregard it because there's no point having an argument with someone (not a fun one anyways) who can't be bothered to see that there are some mantas out there that have such impressive characters, setti, themes , you name it with so much more depth and sometimes realism in them to the point that their stories far surpass at least 70 % of the animes I've seen in terms of their overall quality. I believe this type of ignorance is unforgivable because it doesn't take much effort to read a manga but don't hide behind your bullshit do called tastes, just own up to the fact that you're too lazy to bother to read manga.
May 13, 2016 1:11 PM

Jun 2015
msrcali said:
Royal7Knight said:

don't use your self-righteous bullshit on me just admit to the fact that you're too lazy to read all it is. Nice try taking the lol "moral high road" I can like whatever I like is equivalent to Eric Cartman saying: "Screw you guys I'm going home". If I don't like the medium hahahahaha that funny no really it is, I'm saying you're a genius because you live by the saying ignorance is bliss the reason I'm calling you an idiot is because you're so close-minded to this idea to the point if I ever saw your post again In another forum I would disregard it because there's no point having an argument with someone (not a fun one anyways) who can't be bothered to see that there are some mantas out there that have such impressive characters, setti, themes , you name it with so much more depth and sometimes realism in them to the point that their stories far surpass at least 70 % of the animes I've seen in terms of their overall quality. I believe this type of ignorance is unforgivable because it doesn't take much effort to read a manga but don't hide behind your bullshit do called tastes, just own up to the fact that you're too lazy to bother to read manga.

I enjoy light novels, I do not enjoy manga. I enjoy books, I do not enjoy comics. I'm not close minded, I know what I like and understand different people have different preferences towards entertainment mediums. This is apparently difficult for you to comprehend, so I will not be replying anymore. I never said anything towards the nature of ignorance is bliss, I've read manga. I did not enjoy it. I would not say i don't like the medium if I did not try the medium.
Royal7KnightMay 13, 2016 1:20 PM
May 13, 2016 4:46 PM
Apr 2016
Yeah, usually I either read or want to read the manga.
May 13, 2016 8:55 PM

Jul 2014
Never. If the anime delivers poor closure it turns me off the franchise, and if the anime ended on a good note I don't want to ruin it by reading further. When I pick up an anime that's the only chance the franchise has with me.

I will watch a visual novel adaptation if it's a good VN, but never read a VN after watching its anime first.

I don't know yet if I'd watch an anime that was adapted from a manga I already read, as I haven't been in that situation yet. But probably if it's a good manga.
May 13, 2016 9:06 PM
Jul 2018
Depends if I liked the anime's story, characters, etc and if I want to find out what happens next/ how it ends.
May 13, 2016 9:10 PM

Feb 2010
I do as doing it the other way around might ruin the experience but if you watch the anime first then read the manga than you enjoy the anime then get to enjoy more about the world/s they're apart of. I do this for Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings etc as well :)

Desktop Specs: CPU: AMD FX-4130 Quad Core @ 3.8GHz, Motherboard: ASRock N68-VS3 FX, GPU: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC (EVGA), Ram: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz, Case: Raidmax ATX (Black), Storage: 931GB Western Digital Blue (SATA), PSU: 550 watt, Display: BenQ RL2455
May 14, 2016 12:15 AM

Feb 2016
So far I've only read 1 manga, Deadman Wonderland, because I was so curious of what was supposed to happened after the last episode of the anime. Whenever I feel like reading manga of some unfinished anime, I feel that there's a whole lot of others I still need to watch, so I end up watching anime.
A retard is trying to prove his point, thanks.
May 14, 2016 5:31 PM
May 2014
Royal7Knight said:
msrcali said:

I enjoy light novels, I do not enjoy manga. I enjoy books, I do not enjoy comics. I'm not close minded, I know what I like and understand different people have different preferences towards entertainment mediums. This is apparently difficult for you to comprehend, so I will not be replying anymore. I never said anything towards the nature of ignorance is bliss, I've read manga. I did not enjoy it. I would not say i don't like the medium if I did not try the medium.
You havent given me a sitisfactory response because I want to know more than oh I just don't like it how can you like anime and light novels and hat manga I'm trying to figure that out but you keep circling with these lazy responses.
May 14, 2016 5:44 PM

Mar 2014
I plan to read the manga if I enjoyed the anime and if it wasn't a complete adaptation.
However, the number of times I tend to actually follow through on this? Very rare, lol.

Most of the manga I read is original stuff that hasn't been adapted into anything.
::End of Transmission::

May 14, 2016 5:53 PM

Jan 2016
I actually recently began doing this. I mainly grab the manga for long trips, as visiting my parents takes me nearly 7hrs from my place to theirs. So I began buying mangas of my favourite animes and started reading them. It's a nice change from my 3ds and sudoku.
Jun 1, 2016 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
msrcali said:
Royal7Knight said:

You havent given me a sitisfactory response because I want to know more than oh I just don't like it how can you like anime and light novels and hat manga I'm trying to figure that out but you keep circling with these lazy responses.

i really think it depends on the person. I really enjoy reading lightnovels too, but i also love anime and manga. There is this and that for everyone i guess
Jun 1, 2016 3:59 PM

Dec 2015
If the anime proves to be good, them I immediately add the novel/manga/light novel in my PTR list, so that I dont forget to check it out
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 1, 2016 4:00 PM

Feb 2016
If I find the universe very interesting, yes. Happened to Tokyo Ghoul and Hunter x Hunter
Jun 2, 2016 7:02 PM

Sep 2015
It still hasn't become a habitual pattern but lately I feel inclined to check it after completing the anime although there are certain condition to be matched before, first I should deem the anime worthy enough to check and indulge at its original source/manga and if possible the source is a completed and not too long one.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jun 2, 2016 8:15 PM

May 2016
It really depends on what anime I watch. But most of the time, I just wait for a second season of the anime to come out.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Jun 2, 2016 8:30 PM

May 2016
Only once. Only once.

And you know exactly which one it was, too. Fuckin' eclipse.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 2, 2016 9:03 PM

Jul 2015
Well I've done it once, with Nisekoi, but even so, instead of starting from the beginning, I picked up where the anime left off so I've never really done it before I guess. Normally what I do is, for an anime with a manga series that goes beyond what the anime covers, than I'd finish the manga and then read. I'm probably weird for doing that.

caught in the wonder
Jun 2, 2016 9:13 PM

Oct 2014
At some point? Its backwards for me because until the past few years I usually mostly read manga and not watched the adaptations of the shows. Now I watch adaptations of what I read, and watch shows as previews to decide whether or not something is worth reading. I read a lot so I have a lot on hold and a lot I need to get around to and catch up on so its a good way to see if new things are interesting or catch up if I say haven't read something in a few years and just refresh my memory.
Jun 2, 2016 9:16 PM

Sep 2013
MochaMongoose said:
It's reversed for me.

I usually just read manga that were originally manga (like Shonen Jump manga)

And if I happen to like the manga enough, I watch (part of) the anime to see how it gets adapted; its just interesting to see how it would look animated.

Conversely, I don't have much motivation to read manga of original anime.

I'm the same and I agree wholeheartedly.
I found that 95% of the time the source material to be better for both anime and manga.
Jun 2, 2016 9:21 PM

Mar 2015
Yes I'm reading the Gintama manga because the anime hasn't animated the rest of the story yet.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Jun 2, 2016 9:32 PM

Jul 2014
Z-Dante said:
Only if it's an ecchi show >.>

Or if it's nearly good enough to get me totally hooked

Me too. Otherwise I don't really worry about the Manga since most Anime are usually LN's anyway. And to be honest, I feel a lot of LN"s are just Fanfiction that people pay for. Some of the words in them feel like something ripped straight out of fanfiction.net
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Jun 19, 2016 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
joe_g7 said:
If the anime proves to be good, them I immediately add the novel/manga/light novel in my PTR list, so that I dont forget to check it out

yep me too, especially if the story was just captivating, but i noticed that i tend to forget about reading it later on
Jun 19, 2016 3:12 PM

Dec 2015
ShizukuViolet said:
joe_g7 said:

yep me too, especially if the story was just captivating, but i noticed that i tend to forget about reading it later on

Unfortunately most of the time, when I go to check out the source material, it is either a light novel or a novel, most of them have manga versions but they're ongoing and very few in chapters
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 19, 2016 3:29 PM

Oct 2015
No. I am not interested in manga. I want it animated, voiced, and all that jazz …
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jun 19, 2016 3:30 PM

Jul 2014
Yes, if i really like the anime or if I feel like the story would be better in the manga, I'll totally give it a try, tbh. Anime normally doesn't go as deep as manga.
Jun 19, 2016 3:56 PM

Sep 2014
Don't like manga as a medium but just started doing this for some lns, starting from the start. Will soon start checking out lns I haven't watched the anime of before, just getting back into reading after a 2-3 year break, used to read 1-2 novels a week.
StarlitSentryJun 19, 2016 4:18 PM

Jul 2, 2016 8:16 AM

Feb 2016
When it picks my interesting I certainly do so.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 10 hours ago

43 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 7 hours ago

17 by LostSpectre »»
16 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

40 by traed »»
28 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

176 by ISeeLifePeople »»
33 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

89 by FanofAction »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.