Forum Settings
Forums

FUNimation Acquires Hetalia and Seiken no Blacksmith

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 9, 2010 5:10 PM

Oct 2009
nehnehneji said:
Hetalia!!!! Yay! It'll be interesting to see if they do the correct accents or not...
*adds to list of things to buy*

I hope they do the accents. It'll be better.
Jan 9, 2010 5:14 PM

Jun 2008
I'll buy the Hetalia DVDs. I hope if they have accents in the dub that they aren't too bad. Though outrageous accents would fit I guess.
Jan 9, 2010 5:28 PM

May 2007
To be honest this "roll out riot" was stupid, they license rescued FLCL, and got Hettalia, the rest look like flops.
My anime list
Jan 9, 2010 6:11 PM

Jul 2007
Kineta said:
A week too late for FAL...

Exactly what I was thinking... which reminds me... I haven't even checked the threads yet. D:

Also, GG on Hetalia, it's popular enough so I hope to see some more widespread adoption in the west.
Jan 9, 2010 7:17 PM

May 2008
...Wow. xD Can't wait to see how this turns out. Hetalia wise anyways. Lawlz. But it's Funi, so it'll probably be good. Looking forward to it~

Jan 10, 2010 1:46 AM

Dec 2009
Bad-Lucky said:
FUCK NO.

Logged in after 2 months just to say that.

They didn't have accents in Japanese (except for China), so I hope they do the same and cut out the accents. So yeah, I'm worried about the dub being bad--I would have preferred Bang Zoom to get the license but oh well.
Jan 10, 2010 4:24 AM

Oct 2008
If Vic Mignogna does Italy I'm not even going to try watching the dub.

That's if Hetalia even gets released in Australia anyway. As soon as FUNi starts sending out C&Ds I guess my ability to watch Hetalia is going to go down the drain...
Jan 10, 2010 5:52 AM

Dec 2007
Why the hell would ANYONE want license anything from the fail Fall season, let alone one of the worst one in SnB?
Jan 10, 2010 5:52 AM

Dec 2009
kokocho said:

That's if Hetalia even gets released in Australia anyway. As soon as FUNi starts sending out C&Ds I guess my ability to watch Hetalia is going to go down the drain...

Well if that happens, you could always buy the dvds off of Amazon and just watch them in Japanese?
Jan 10, 2010 8:57 AM

Jun 2009
I really don't like Funimation :(
Jan 10, 2010 9:09 AM

Jun 2009
I hope they do a good job, most of their dubs are good but they also did Higurashi and that is the worst dub I've ever seen. It will be funny if they give the character accents like England having a proper posh British one XD

If they do bad I'll still buy the DVD's anyway and just watch it in Japanese since Japanese Dvd's cost a bomb
Jan 10, 2010 10:40 AM
Sep 2008
I'm conflicted.

I'd love to be able to buy Hetalia on DVD without paying the outrageous prices of Japanese DVDs ...but the most likely horrible dub voices will be lurking on there. TT_TT
I just can't handle the thought of Vic Mignogna raping one of my favorite characters the way he's done before. *shudders* But at least it will still have the Japanese version on there so I can just watch it that way. rdsfgdsgdgghfdhfd

But WTF is up with the whole Blacksmith thing? That show wasn't even good at all. Sure, everyone thought it would be great before it came out, but face the facts, it's terrible. No informed anime fan will buy it and the less than informed fans won't buy anything more obscure than what's shown on Adult Swim. So yeah, a huge waste of money.
fdssdfdsfsfJan 10, 2010 11:03 AM
Jan 10, 2010 12:18 PM
Oct 2009
looooooooooooool FUNimation, ur so silly.

Catboy said:
But WTF is up with the whole Blacksmith thing? That show wasn't even good at all. Sure, everyone thought it would be great before it came out, but face the facts, it's terrible. No informed anime fan will buy it and the less than informed fans won't buy anything more obscure than what's shown on Adult Swim. So yeah, a huge waste of money.
THIS.
Jan 10, 2010 1:59 PM

Aug 2007
Italy is going to be voiced by a girl, i'm sure of it. or an really annoying guy.

but i'm glad in hetalia, they don't have the characters with foreign names, exception of few, so i will not be outraged when they pronounce the country's name.
Jan 10, 2010 2:57 PM

Apr 2009
Im kinda surprised with Hetalia, I had already heard that they passed over it since they considered it "too racist". I guess they changed their mind?
Jan 10, 2010 3:47 PM

Aug 2009
Haven't watched either but apparently Seiken no Blacksmith sucks and Hetalia is the shit.

I'm sure the fangirls/boys are screaming right now.
Jan 10, 2010 4:15 PM

Jun 2009
Oooo... I'm excited to finally see what's up with Hetalia. I've been hearing about this series all over the place.
MaiasmJan 10, 2010 4:22 PM
Jan 10, 2010 6:47 PM

Oct 2008
RollingBox said:
kokocho said:

Well if that happens, you could always buy the dvds off of Amazon and just watch them in Japanese?

I could. Although DVDs in the US have a different region code to those in Aust and not all DVD players will play them. Plus I'd have to pay the extra for international shipping. It just makes it a bit of a pain.
Jan 10, 2010 8:40 PM

Sep 2009
Im hoping we get a Hellsing like dub. With proper accents to the characters.
Jan 10, 2010 8:47 PM

Apr 2009
i know that the survey from last year had Hetalia in it, but i never expect they don't mind the sorta "racism" in it (which South Korea made a huge fuss about even if to japan, korea is south korea.)

I'm South Korean myself, and I think South Korea is hilariously spot-on. It's also typical of South Korea to get upset over something like that, even it it's just a joke (iRiver >>> iPod, true fact) - Almost every Korean person I know gets super pissed about any stereotype I joke about, or get upset if I mention some crazy news story where some kid plays Starcraft until he dies of hunger.

I think Hetalia Axis Powers is a good idea, and albeit being bad, casual watchers might enjoy something like Seikan no Blacksmith. Either way, I won't be watching either (Unless the Hetalia Axis Powers Dub goes all-out with the voice cast and makes them as close to the country each character represents as possible).
Jan 10, 2010 9:15 PM

Apr 2007
I would highly encourage Funimation to completely butcher and rewrite the English script for Seiken no Blacksmith in a manner similar to how ADV did with Gakkou no Kaidan. Possibly into an ultra-lewd comedy where Lisa (the magical loli, not the dead loli) speaks in nothing but sexual innuendo that the surrounding characters are too dense to notice. In my opinion this action is vital, since there are could potentially be several hundred dollars worth of sales on the line with this title worldwide.
Jan 10, 2010 9:41 PM

Jul 2008
Concerning hetalia, figured as much. bravo funi.
Blacksmith... no. just no.
Jan 10, 2010 10:16 PM

Jan 2009
FUNimation is indeed good. They preserve the original Japanese credits in the OP and ED when played with subtitles.
Jan 10, 2010 10:24 PM

Jul 2008
The Hetalia dub could easily be epic if done right. I can't wait!

BEGINNER
Jan 11, 2010 2:48 AM
Jan 2010
Wow!
i will have to get hetalia when it comes out!
i'm so glad they got they got it!
Jan 11, 2010 9:38 AM

Jun 2008
Being that I am not a fan of Funimation, I don't really care about either of them getting it. :/
Jan 12, 2010 12:21 AM

Aug 2007
contrary to most people here i think blacksmith is a good purchase.
like how everyone thought it would be good before they saw it,
people in the store will think it will be good before they buy it.
it has a nice fantasy theme, easy on the eye designs, no japanese culture references (which is hard for normal people beside otaku) and a good name for animation studio.

and hetalia.. i really dont know why its popular, but it sure is.
Jan 12, 2010 12:56 AM

May 2009
Blacksmith?
Thats so unexpected.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2010 6:18 AM

Jan 2009
money money money
Jan 14, 2010 6:45 AM

Dec 2009
kokocho said:
RollingBox said:
kokocho said:

I could. Although DVDs in the US have a different region code to those in Aust and not all DVD players will play them. Plus I'd have to pay the extra for international shipping. It just makes it a bit of a pain.

That's true. I had a friend from Australia that was so behind on manga because he couldn't afford them because of the importation tax. Maybe Australia should seek free trade with other countries? (Like the free trade agreement that US, Canada, and Mexico have).
Jan 14, 2010 5:12 PM

Oct 2008
RollingBox said:
kokocho said:
RollingBox said:
kokocho said:

That's true. I had a friend from Australia that was so behind on manga because he couldn't afford them because of the importation tax. Maybe Australia should seek free trade with other countries? (Like the free trade agreement that US, Canada, and Mexico have).

As far as I know Australia already does have some form of free trade agreements. But I don't really know much about it.
I usually always buy all of my manga online from US stores though because it works out cheaper. Mainly because Australia's dollar is pretty good these days. Depending on where you buy manga here it costs about $15 to $25 each. If I buy it from the US though I can often get them for about $10. Even including the currency conversion and the shipping. :)
Jan 15, 2010 1:19 AM
Aug 2009
I've heard they didn't want to get Hetalia? But yaaay for FUNimation, I am sooo gonna get the DVD! :D
Jan 19, 2010 1:53 AM

Oct 2009
hetalia dub?

ewwww
Jan 23, 2010 12:40 PM

Mar 2008
Here comes an anime full of accents! <3 (hopefully)
Jan 23, 2010 5:11 PM

Apr 2009
Hetalia. <3

"Free Falcon Punch for Everybody!"|Nani?|MCC Badge|
Jan 23, 2010 5:27 PM

Jun 2008
I just realized how different me and my friend are. I'm saying "EWW BURN THE DUBS" while she's saying "Yay! I hope Vic plays America!"
Jan 25, 2010 1:23 PM

Jun 2008
Yay said:
I hope they do a good job, most of their dubs are good but they also did Higurashi and that is the worst dub I've ever seen. It will be funny if they give the character accents like England having a proper posh British one XD

If they do bad I'll still buy the DVD's anyway and just watch it in Japanese since Japanese Dvd's cost a bomb

It seems no one caught this...FUNimation didn't dub Higurashi, Geneon did. FUNi only picked it up and distributed it later.
Jan 26, 2010 8:13 PM

Dec 2008
I wasn't too surprised by this announcement at all. In fact, I'll be amused when on the case or on a sticker it'll say, "25 episodes all on one DVD!" Trying to make it seem like a great deal to have that many episodes all at once...when they're 5 minutes long.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Jan 26, 2010 8:41 PM

Mar 2008
BadLuckTuck said:
I just realized how different me and my friend are. I'm saying "EWW BURN THE DUBS" while she's saying "Yay! I hope Vic plays America!"

I hate dubs as well, yet...I love Vic. I'd love it if he were to play America > n<;
Feb 16, 2010 1:40 AM

Sep 2009
Something I see a lot thats been baffling me.

Why so subophiles always try the "It will make it harder, or impossible to watch this anime!"

Learn how to google. I can find anything I want, subbed, dubbed in english, and a good 50% of the time in another language.
Feb 16, 2010 6:59 AM

Jun 2008
I would be interested to know how much they paid for Blacksmith.
I'm back.
May 21, 2010 11:25 PM
Nov 2009
How long until funimation finishs dubbing Hetalia I want to see it.
Sep 5, 2010 8:14 AM

Nov 2009
Here's the page with the trailers for Hetalia

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Nov 6, 2010 5:29 PM
Mar 2010
so r all the episodes dubbed because it said i stopped airing does that mean they stopped at what ever episode they the airing stopped as
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

30 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.