Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 3, 2016 10:35 AM

Apr 2013
I don't want to come off as a whining twat, but seriously. I know there are many obscure titles on MAL and for various reasons they remain unpopular and that is understandable, but despite all of that... I can't come to terms with why this show is so little known.

To expound - I think one of the reviewers on this website was quite apt when he/she said that this show is probably one of the most brilliant yet flawed anime that the medium has to offer. And I can vouch for this as well.
First of all, the politics... The political intrigue in this series is in many respects up there with the very best the medium has to offer, yes I'm talking LoGH and Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig standards. Granted many aspects to the show are highly unpolished in an aesthetic sense compared to the later two, that does not stop it from being a truly intelligent series.

I can't think of any TV series (not movie), let alone anime that has taken on the question of guerrilla warfare quite like this show has. It reminds me a lot of the Cuban revolution and Che Guevara's and Fidel Castro's struggle against colonial oppression in Latin America during the mid-20th Century and transposes it to a sci-fi interplanetary environment. Not to say that it glorifies it, in fact, in some respects it is very scathing of the flaws that came with this movement.

The antagonist is probably one of the best the medium has to offer as well and plays into the political intrigue of the series and goes well beyond standard storytelling cliches, characterizing such an aggressive individual in a realistic believable manner. The antagonist isn't the only strong character, their are many strong characters throughout the course of the series, each in some way playing into its development, with their own ambitions and goals, which centrally is the independence of planet Deloyer, from its oppressor planet - Earth.

I can go on, and again will admit to their being some rage-inducing flaws within it (episode 17 I am looking at you) and some weak arcs, and confess this definitely detracts from the best elements within the series.

At the time of writing this, I seriously think that this show of all things deserves a viewership more than just 283 views. So, may I just do the service of inviting more people to watch this hidden, flawed and at the same time, a very highly underrated anime.
Jul 18, 2019 10:05 AM
Jul 2018
I think one reason it is not as popular is because it adds elements not just limited to Cuba but also more recent events.

Eg the newspaper clips you see in few episodes mentioned events like "Arab League condemns US and Israel about massacre" ,"US troops land in Beireut", (referring to Lebanon crisis and civil war), "Japan reaches trade agreement with North Korea", "USA sells computers to China" etc This was done on purpose, unlike various random and irrelevant paper clips you see in most anime
After this Lecoque seemed more similar to a notorious and cunning US Foreign Affairs Secretary

They showed that they wanted to allude the story to more recent events.
For this reason this is perhaps the most political mainstream anime series I've seen.
If Angel Cop English release edited out the anti-semitic comments, imagine what they'll make out of Dougram and the allusions to the Middle East

A pity it is not popular and I agree that it makes LOTGH WW1 lore look like a fairy tale on the politics aspect that must have been even more original and ideologically charged for the early 80s

More topics from this board

Poll: » Taiyou no Kiba Dagram Episode 73 Discussion

BaronLukis - Sep 2, 2023

0 by BaronLukis »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:40 PM

Poll: » Taiyou no Kiba Dagram Episode 72 Discussion

BaronLukis - Sep 2, 2023

0 by BaronLukis »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:22 PM

Poll: » Taiyou no Kiba Dagram Episode 70 Discussion

BaronLukis - Sep 2, 2023

0 by BaronLukis »»
Sep 2, 2023 8:36 AM

Poll: » Taiyou no Kiba Dagram Episode 69 Discussion

BaronLukis - Sep 2, 2023

0 by BaronLukis »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Taiyou no Kiba Dagram Episode 67 Discussion

BaronLukis - Sep 2, 2023

0 by BaronLukis »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.