Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 31, 2016 12:22 AM

Sep 2015
After having just finished Your Lie in April. (Great series, cried my heart out) I began to wonder, what truly moves you about anime? What about this medium attracts you to it.

For me its pretty simple I love character. Seeing a character grow. Seeing them struggle. Seeing them succeed. Seeing them fail. I love every minute of it. But I wondered what you all think. Shout it out down below cause I want to get real and deep.

Credit goes to the guys at Minimalistic-Animoo Deviantart Group for the vectors.
Mar 31, 2016 12:34 AM

Mar 2015
when i emotionaly attached with something in series. even simply story are enough. this short have minimalist story, character, or even cliche theme. but still best 3 minutes in my life.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 31, 2016 12:39 AM

Mar 2015
Probably the culture. I like japanese culture and their concept of youkai.
This salad is salty favored
Mar 31, 2016 12:48 AM

Oct 2015
The characters and sometimes the story.
Mar 31, 2016 12:48 AM

May 2015
I think what's moving about anime is the same thing that moves us in all fiction - great stories and characters and deep exploration of themes.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 31, 2016 12:51 AM

Apr 2015
The characters with complex motives and stories that make you question deep themes that are more delved into than any other medium in western society.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2016 12:53 AM

Oct 2015
I think if u somehow get attached to even 1 of the characters u are bound to be moved by whatever happens to em.
Lemme give u an example. No matter how annoying haruhi suzumiya may seem or how bland and boring the 2 seasons may be, once u get attached to her pretty face there is nothing stopping u from being moved by wharever happens to em.

(Btw getting attached to a pretty face was the first thing that came to my mind.. U may get attached to a not so pretty face, a great character, action scenes, music, animation whatever.. U just need something to connect to and ur whole experience will be awesome :p )

~This world is a cruel place~
Mar 31, 2016 1:00 AM

Sep 2015
I pretty love to see how the anime concludes given its plot.
I also like to see character development and story overall.
Mar 31, 2016 4:01 AM

Dec 2015
I just like good stories no matter the medium. And anime tends to have great storytelling. Also, the characters are usually not as loud as western characters when they're not tsundere and I really don't like loud characters.
Mar 31, 2016 4:16 AM

Dec 2015
holysauron said:
I just like good stories no matter the medium. And anime tends to have great storytelling. Also, the characters are usually not as loud as western characters when they're not tsundere and I really don't like loud characters.

I find western characters actually tend to be more quiet, most western tv series seem to largely consist of two people sat across a table from one another having a dramatic whispering competition. Whereas in anime you have loud mouth shounens and comedy relief characters who never stop yelling.
Mar 31, 2016 4:23 AM
Jan 2016
The development of a character, can easily affect the viewer emotionally, is an aspect, I always love about anime. I love anime, because the medium isn't afraid to explore new ideas, because it can be produced easier than tv or so, and it always looks charming.
"Relationships are like birds, if you hold tightly they die. If you hold loosely, they fly, but if you hold with care, they remain with you forever."

I had a life, before I got the internet.
Mar 31, 2016 4:49 AM

May 2015
If I can relate to the plot and the characters, and if it sends a message to me. Those are the only reasons I can think of.
Mar 31, 2016 4:56 AM

Jan 2016
If I had to be honest, probably my outstanding, exhausting ability to empathize and fall in love with fictional beings.
Mar 31, 2016 5:02 AM
Apr 2015
because, compared to the endless supply of married couple drama cliches in my country, anime explores a wide variety. the plot is unique to some extent, the characters are lovable/dynamic, and the music are outstanding. and when it moves me to a certain extent, or when I could relate to the characters, boom, instafave.

and for the past year i started to appreciate 2D more than 3D
comingsmileMar 31, 2016 5:05 AM
Mar 31, 2016 5:24 AM
May 2009
Story, Characters, Music, action.

I mean there are so many elements that make a moving scene in anime.
If one aspect is missing, I don't think it would be as moving.
Mar 31, 2016 6:47 AM

Dec 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
holysauron said:

I find western characters actually tend to be more quiet, most western tv series seem to largely consist of two people sat across a table from one another having a dramatic whispering competition. Whereas in anime you have loud mouth shounens and comedy relief characters who never stop yelling.

I actually meant compared to western cartoons, but I guess even then I explained everything completely wrong. I actually meant that western characters seem to have a lack of respect compared to anime characters. Last time I watched a western cartoon I actually saw the main character fighting with someone of higher rank because he didn't agree with him. In most anime I've seen something like that is completely unacceptable. Yes, the characters might disobey but it would take something like deserting before the would fight someone who has a higher rank.
Mar 31, 2016 8:32 AM

Nov 2015
Characters coming over their emotional conflicts, well portrayed yet grounded interpersonal relationships, relatable themes.
Mar 31, 2016 9:23 AM

Oct 2011
Characters definitely, but also when the anime offers realizations and tries to convey a message.
Mar 31, 2016 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
Kuma said:
when i emotionaly attached with something in series. even simply story are enough. this short have minimalist story, character, or even cliche theme. but still best 3 minutes in my life.

Yeah that was a great short, similar to tsumiki no ie.
Mar 31, 2016 9:31 AM

May 2013
Nakama power. Tsukkomi & Boke. Seiyuu's. Bishies. Shoujo love stories. OP&ED's.

Mar 31, 2016 9:34 AM

May 2014
Well, I like animation. Anime and some people who became my friends progressively made me love this medium, and thus made me enjoy anime even more. Just look at the fight in the 5th episode of Gunbuster, it's awesome! Just look at Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, Kill la Kill, One Punch Man, FMAb, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, FLCL! Just look at FLCL!

I also tend enjoy good stories, good characters, iyashikei, fanservice to some extent and if it's well-done, and so on. Anime can offer all of these things, life is great isn't it?

Also, fun things are fun, and let's all love Lain.

P.S: I may have misunderstood the question, but whatever.
parazeMar 31, 2016 9:42 AM
Mar 31, 2016 9:38 AM
Jan 2013
When something is really boring, I really have to move to pick up the remote
gone bai bai
Mar 31, 2016 9:46 AM
Jan 2014
Mkim said:

Yep, remember exercise is important.

Mar 31, 2016 10:30 AM

Jun 2013
I love fiction in general because of character, theme exploration, plot, etc.

But what attracts me to this medium specifically (and designates it my favorite medium for fiction) is the art and animation. I find animation much more interesting than live action. And this medium tends to take more adult approaches to story-telling through animation, something not particularly common in western animation.
Mar 31, 2016 10:37 AM

Dec 2014
The characters. Anime has some of the most developed and complex characters in fiction ever. Seeing them develop or even act in certain situations is really really fun. The story is sometimes quite amazing too. Just have a look at the adventure-ish story of One Piece. Meh love <3 or even CA arc in HxH. But you get my point, I also find this to be the only entertainment medium that can actually make me cry. These are various reasons I guess.
Thinking.....
Mar 31, 2016 11:15 AM
Jan 2013
Shock_Yin said:
Mkim said:

Yep, remember exercise is important.
Why you making me remember of the bad times?
gone bai bai
Mar 31, 2016 5:19 PM
Jul 2018
I guess good characters are what can really move me. Especially if they have a tragic spin to them, I really like those.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 7 hours ago

12 by Thanatos1 »»
2 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

33 by Coaghim »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 9 hours ago

37 by Tabbs919 »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 21 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

74 by Coaghim »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.