Forum Settings
Forums
New
Why is old school anime soo much better
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 30, 2016 9:16 PM
Feb 2014
These le born in the wrong generation threads are getting out of control, holy shit.

I wonder who some of these people are IRL. I often expect an obese guy with a neckbeard and a fedora and 85% of the time, and I'm always right.
Mar 30, 2016 9:19 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
also, calling possible troll account

JoinedApr 8, 2013

Watching
Completed
On-Hold
Dropped
Plan to Watch

Total Entries6
Rewatched0
Episodes129
Mar 30, 2016 9:27 PM

Dec 2015
Mamster-P said:
this thread had it coming, like we havent seen this 10x this month

@KonaKoffee4

people also don't factor in how many new anime are coming out now compared to the past, OF COURSE when you have 40+ new anime a season as apposed to whatever it was in the past, most are gonna be "generic" cause uh.... your average creator is not Shakespeare and many of the so called "talented writers" probably don't even care to make anime, and even if they do, theres no guarantee people aren't going to complain about it, or that it won't fail

i can already hear the criticism towards kabaneri

"this is just a titan ripoff"
"they did this one thing that ruined the anime for me"
"this anime was a disappointment"

also why not "pander" to otaku? who the hell else is going to spend more money towards the industry? and who doesn't want to draw girls with big boobs? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

get wrecked, the 2 ppl who voted "otaku culture".... if anything otaku culture is why anime is so big now

Wait, otakus are the ones who like big boobs? I thought they liked shounen and lolis...
fuck, I noticed I'm still bad at this anime shit...I still don't know shit haha.

And you are absolutely right about the writing, and the same thing goes with EVERYTHING that requires to be written.
As optimistic as I can be when it comes to artistic talent, we can't all expect every single writer to be as good as one another in the best way possible.
And like I have said before, sometimes these writers will try to do something different and try writing thrillers, psychological stories, etc, and they'll come out like shit.
If they are good at writing ecchi then let them write ecchi, we can't force them to write shit they don't like or are not good at writing.
Banner credit to @turnip
Mar 30, 2016 9:35 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@KonaKoffee4

lol that was obv a partial joke....... we otakus like EVERYTHING, so idk why ppl act as if otakus are only the stereotypes..... you know, maybe if people realized otakus weren't all stereotypes they'd shut up, and theres nothing wrong with being the stereotype if thats what you are as long as you're happy

yep exactly.... "talented writing" is a huge risk, cause if people complain, well you wasted all the effort. better to pump out something you KNOW people will watch in order to keep things going, which will in turn, give those talent writers who do succeed a chance to shine

again.... who doesn't want to draw girls with big boobs or adorable lolis? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

also LOOOOOL @ your signature
Mar 30, 2016 9:46 PM

Dec 2015
Mamster-P said:
@KonaKoffee4

lol that was obv a partial joke....... we otakus like EVERYTHING, so idk why ppl act as if otakus are only the stereotypes..... you know, maybe if people realized otakus weren't all stereotypes they'd shut up, and theres nothing wrong with being the stereotype if thats what you are as long as you're happy

yep exactly.... "talented writing" is a huge risk, cause if people complain, well you wasted all the effort. better to pump out something you KNOW people will watch in order to keep things going, which will in turn, give those talent writers who do succeed a chance to shine

again.... who doesn't want to draw girls with big boobs or adorable lolis? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

also LOOOOOL @ your signature

I'd rather draw big boobs than lolis, and I'd rather draw puppies than both. Why can't we have a trend with more puppies in anime? Come on otakus, ask for it!

lol oh yes, we all love illumi's hair, but I know a good brazilian yaki weave when I see one!
Banner credit to @turnip
Mar 30, 2016 9:54 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
KonaKoffee4 said:

I'd rather draw big boobs than lolis, and I'd rather draw puppies than both. Why can't we have a trend with more puppies in anime? Come on otakus, ask for it!

lol oh yes, we all love illumi's hair, but I know a good brazilian yaki weave when I see one!

for someone who loves big boobs, i actually love drawing lolis, plus 1/2 the girls on my favorites don't even have big boobs xD

all i draw are anime girls, so i can't relate to the puppies thing, the cutest animals for me are reptiles and amphibans xD

ANYWAY.... theres like nothing in todays anime that you can' find in anime from the 70s 80s and 90s, even RPG type anime go back that far.
im still calling troll account, funny how these threads are always people with less than 100 completions, and in this case its 0
Mar 30, 2016 9:57 PM

Mar 2016
I wouldn't say nostalgia.. I think it's moreso that you just grow up

Think about it:

You love spongebob as a child
Are you 100% certain you'll love it as a grandparent?

Anime, like other artforms and experiences we encounter, can be formative. It's an investment. We relate to characters. We think about the series and how it applies to our lives. Etc - the older we grow, the more difficult it becomes for us to relate and truly experience shows for what they are meant to do. Why? Because we grow old and are no longer the target audience

So then we just convince ourselves that we like the older shows because that's what we grew up with, that's what we related to, etc..

Eh, I guess it is nostalgia to a certain degree. However, I do think that it has more to do with the industry having a stagnant target audience
Mar 30, 2016 10:04 PM

Jul 2012
I think it really depends on what your looking for. People definitely enjoy things more now that they liked as kids for sure. Some may feel like some shows are copycats of their old favorites.
Mar 30, 2016 10:36 PM

Aug 2014
Cause what people call old anime is usually cream of the crop from 70s to 00s whole new anime is only 15 full years counting from 2000. There's plenty of just straight up garbage from past decades and now.

Also right now pretty much every show comes under scrutiny, despite more anime being made a lot more of it gets subtitled and watched by at least few thousand people on MAL (that's a pretty good number compared to a lot of old anime). Each episode is discussed and picked apart for a week until next one comes out and a lot more people take a stab at reviewing it once it finished airing. I wouldn't say people have become more critical of their entertainment but it's still a fact that modern anime gets discussed and judged a lot more often than already acclaimed old titles. Some of the popular old school anime doesn't really hold up well and is mostly glorified for historical value a lot of old anime hold and nostalgia they carry.

I will say though that the current production process of anime is a little sad cause there's little place for people taking risks by doing creative shows or shows that run more than 2 cours unless it's based on a popular shonen manga. Even Gundam that spawned such an enormous franchise was initially canned, right now you don't really see people even trying something like that. More adult manga with limited appeal barely get any adaptations unless there's once again existing fan base with money to spend. 80s was a better decade for that stuff since people had funds to spare.
Mar 30, 2016 10:38 PM

Nov 2014
I've been watching anime on and off since 1995. Older anime isn't necessarily better, but I can't recall as much bad anime being made when I started watching it. There are so many cookie-cutter highschool shows now. If you look around though, you can find anime that's as good as, and sometimes better than, the older ones. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu came out this year, and it's better than most of the 90s anime I've seen.
aikaflipMar 30, 2016 10:42 PM
Mar 31, 2016 1:03 AM

May 2015
I heard the old-school had a lot of macho bullshit like M.D. Geist.

You don't hear people talking about that.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 6, 2016 8:37 PM

Apr 2015
I think it's mostly because of nostalgia. Just "mostly" because there are some enjoyable old school animes out there that even kids nowadays like. :)

Though I believe that the main reason is due to nostalgia because I am a very nostalgic person so coming from experience, most animes I think that's good tend to be the older ones I've watched...

One of my favourite animes is a really old one and even I know that the anime itself sucks. It's super rushed, confusing and basically I tried to find if there were anyone else who liked the anime as much as I did...

Then trust me, I found A LOT of negative reviews that made me think that only 2% out of 100% of the people who watched the anime would rank it as their #1 favourite anime ever. XD I think only 5% would ever rank the anime into their Top 10 favourite animes list.

I liked it because it was just my style of an anime. I like mysterious animes so the confusion of the anime was that factor to me. Also because I can relate to the main character, I love the personality of the main character, I love the setting of the anime and it brings me back a lot of enjoyable memories since I watched it when I was young.

So that's why I believe in nostalgia to be a huge factor, but not all.
Apr 6, 2016 8:43 PM
Mar 2015
They are better because as time passes you forget the mediocre/bad anime and remember only the good ones.
Apr 6, 2016 8:48 PM

Mar 2016
I think only a few old school are better ......
There must be some old school that leaves a good impression to the people who watch it, but I think New are better because there may be a chance that the creators will make a better series than the old .
I think everything in this world is beautiful. The sky, birds, bugs, frogs, flowers, and even rocks. Because, if God created this world, could there really be anything dirty and ugly in it?
Apr 6, 2016 8:49 PM

Dec 2012
What about old stories adapted into new anime like Parasyte?
Apr 6, 2016 8:53 PM

Jan 2013
Fate/Zero better then anything made before 2000, see old anime isn't that good after all.
Apr 6, 2016 8:54 PM

Sep 2012
Why was old school MAL so much better?
Apr 6, 2016 9:33 PM

Jan 2012
I don't think it's any better or worse than it is now. Every year there will be some good anime released and some bad ones. It isn't like everything released in the past was good and everything now is crap.

The people who say "all the new anime is garbage, it's all about the old ones" are definitely being blinded by nostalgia.
Apr 6, 2016 10:04 PM

Aug 2015
Here's an idea: Browse a few old seasons (like say, spring 1990) on MAL. Tell me how many of them actually had shows you like.
I did that, and over a span of 4 years I only counted 7~ good shows.

So what's the deal? In most cases, nostalgia.
In general, old anime is simply not better than modern anime. I've been watching anime since I was a kid, in the 90s, in LatAm, where we got a lot more shows than the US did back in the day (No censorship! And the dubs were so good!). Most of them were bottom of the bin garbage, and the ones that WERE good were nowhere near as good as the best shows made over the last 10 to 6 years (sorry Eva! not really though).
The industry has changed. For the better.
Apr 6, 2016 10:05 PM

Jan 2015
There is bad and great oldies...same with modern cartoons....(nostalgia wins)
Apr 6, 2016 10:07 PM

Aug 2015
There's a certain amount of charm in how many people on mal solve arguments with a synonym of "muh opinion".
MelkaticoxApr 6, 2016 11:26 PM
Apr 6, 2016 10:16 PM

Jan 2016
Old anime isn't better, nor is it worse.
To me, anime just stayed anime, which included many terrible series and many amazing series, regardless of the season or year.
There were anime that I wouldn't watch back then, just like there are anime that I wouldn't watch now.
Apr 6, 2016 10:22 PM

Jul 2013
old school best school
that's just one of the laws of the universe
Apr 6, 2016 10:24 PM

Sep 2009
Well, older schools have bloomers. And we all know bloomers>shorts.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 6, 2016 11:01 PM

Dec 2015
Apart from animation (today's anime are usually better) , I don't see any difference. We just had a filter back then. Now you get everything instantly with no filter, you have to do the job yourself (it is not that hard).
About the animation: I am not saying some qorks from the cellulo period are not well animated. On the contrary, some stand out even today. (and I tend to prefer good or good enough animated cells than perfectly animated numeric sheets)

ToG25thBaam said:
You got to admit that even though anime has upped its animation, the character design is becoming less 'realistic', and they look pale as fuck, as if Japan was in Winter season all year long.

Beside that, with the technology today, anime is way too clean(?) to a point where certain fansub groups would add a 'grain' effect to the newer anime. If it looks too clean, it gives the impression that it is just a drawing, and that takes me out of the experience sometimes.

Oh my God! I am not mad then!

I always find the more we advanced into the computerized animation, the more the "art" (not movement) looks strange. When the computer aspect started to be fully visible (ibetween 2000-2003), everything looked so "2D" to me. I know it is 2D, but it is like everything on the screen is pasted together (it's hardly pretty). Characters themselves feel so flat (the drawings). Every time I said it to other people (younger ones, sadly), they can't even understand what I mean.

Not to mention: I always thought better technology would help to animate more complexe "tiles" and even looked forward to it, but the chara-design get more and more simple instead of exploiting the progress. Seriously, back then, people were angry because chara-designs like Nobuteru Yuki's work were impossible to animate correctly and now noone has the idea this level of art would be easier to use?
When you see that mangaka who came to use a PC/MAC sometimes offered a better art than before...

PS: I am one of those people who loved the Omus rendition in the animated Nausicaa.
Rei_IIIApr 6, 2016 11:08 PM
Apr 6, 2016 11:27 PM

Aug 2015
kamisama751 said:
The average quality of older anime is much better than what comes out today.

time to bully

((jesus christ mal let me post my fucking short and sweet replies))
Apr 7, 2016 12:25 AM

Jul 2015
Another one "old is better, new sucks" thread....
Apr 7, 2016 12:46 AM

Dec 2015

I meant difference in quality* Sorry for the lack of a word.
If I follow you, the better movements I see nowadays compared to before must be an illusion xD. Do you think I have this impression because I find the drawingsn"flat"?
That's weird, I even read that computer made it easier to animate a scene...

Artwork style has nothing to do with quality, even if I tend to prefer some period's trend, I can't objectively claim it was done better.

Also, I claimed nothing, I only wrote "I find" it. (I meant, I thought, had the impression, sorry again,it's probably due to my limited foreign vocabulary)
Apr 7, 2016 2:13 AM

Jan 2008
It's not better. There were fewer anime being made back then, so it's easier to remember all the good stuff and forget the bad. But the overall good/bad ratio was the same. 3 good shows for every 12 bad shows now is the same as 1 good show for every 4 bad shows back then.
Apr 7, 2016 2:19 AM

Aug 2014
It's just personal preference of what things you are into. The reason why there where so many space opras and stuff in the 80s was because people where into that stuff and they brought it. Nowadays the market has changed but anime studios were always concerned with making money. There are many more anime being produced nowadays and I do think people forget the shitty shows of the past.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 7, 2016 2:22 AM

Aug 2014
Major123 said:
Fate/Zero better then anything made before 2000, see old anime isn't that good after all.

I like fate/zero, think it's pretty great but no it's fucking not XD. The real stuff that shines before 2000 though are movies like jin-rou, ghost in the shell and end of eva.

Apr 7, 2016 2:50 AM

Oct 2009
It's not better.
I think people just get bored of the newer anime(s??) because they've seen the same/almost the same plot, scenes, type of characters, tropes, etc. on the older shows.
That's why they think that new anime is uninspired, generic, crap or wtv.

Apr 7, 2016 2:53 AM
Mar 2008
Thug_Gou said:
It's not better.
I think people just get bored of the newer anime(s??) because they've seen the same/almost the same plot, scenes, type of characters, tropes, etc. on the older shows.

Yeah, basically this. Plus, imo, it seems to me back then they had somehwat more fun with it. When in look at the comedy where i really laugh, its mostly from 80s/90s anime, very very rarelly after the 2000s. Well, but thats just me.
Apr 7, 2016 6:18 AM

Jan 2013
black1blade said:
Major123 said:

I like fate/zero, think it's pretty great but no it's fucking not XD. The real stuff that shines before 2000 though are movies like jin-rou, ghost in the shell and end of eva.
Nah it is, its my opinion just like how OP thinks old anime is better. Do you see what I'm getting at here? Also don't say End of Eva, that movie is the biggest clusterfuck on the planet.
Apr 7, 2016 6:21 AM

Aug 2014
Major123 said:
black1blade said:

Nah it is, its my opinion just like how OP thinks old anime is better. Do you see what I'm getting at here? Also don't say End of Eva, that movie is the biggest clusterfuck on the planet.

But it's amazing though......... .

Apr 7, 2016 6:27 AM

Jan 2013
black1blade said:
Major123 said:

If anything it had my attention throughout the whole movie so I'll give it that. Now if you try to start explaining to me what actually happened in the second half...well good luck with that.
Apr 7, 2016 6:28 AM

Apr 2016
Nostalgia is the biggest factor here. People watch those and they also think about the cool things they used to do back in the day
Apr 7, 2016 8:05 AM

Oct 2015
That thread title is baity as fuck. Thread should be called "Why do people think that old anime is better?"

And that is because of nostalgia, not being around to see old anime series that are shit or just a general attitude of "it's different now, so it's automatically bad".

MortalMelancholy said:
Well, older schools have bloomers. And we all know bloomers>shorts.

Spoken like a true touhou fan.
Apr 7, 2016 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
1995 to 2006 has literally dozens upon dozens of top-tier anime, but 2007+ has Non Non Biyori...

Seems pretty balanced to me.
Apr 7, 2016 9:44 AM

Aug 2014
Major123 said:
black1blade said:

If anything it had my attention throughout the whole movie so I'll give it that. Now if you try to start explaining to me what actually happened in the second half...well good luck with that.

Shit happened, that is what. Well it's the third impact right. I still haven't actually seen episodes 25 and 26 of the original series...

Apr 7, 2016 1:15 PM

Aug 2015
domko said:
"Nostalgia"
This is the signal word for detecting retards. A lot of old anime was not even translated until recently.

There's more than one country ya know.
And more than one language.
Apr 7, 2016 1:18 PM

Dec 2013
Oh my god that's so true I also noticed that it's the same with porn ! all the oldschool german porn is so much better than the new porn.
#makeporngreatagain
Apr 7, 2016 1:25 PM

Mar 2016
It's because the industry currently follows the same trends adapting mangas with the same premises and the same cliches. I really don't think anime fans are any more nostalgic then cartoon fans that tout the 90's and even still cartoon fans admit it's a good time for western animation with several notable shows having aired in the last few years. Just to name a few Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Regular Show, Adventure Time and Rebels.

I also think the main difference is that while the rate of good shows to come out every year may be similar; some great examples being Attack On Titan, One Punch Man, Noragami, Hetalia and Kill La Kill. Cartoons generally tend to be ongoing while anime usually have 13-26 episode cour's. So while our rate of quality shows to be created/adapted is similar western animation fans generally have more episodes of quality series to watch.
Apr 7, 2016 1:28 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Why is this thread still alive? Again, it's not... anime today is pretty much the same and good and bad are subjective so foh with that

In 15 years ppl are gonna be like, "I miss the Era of SAO, mongatari, Jojos and AoT and ppl are going to sweep the more generic shows under the rug just like they did the ones of the past, which is what happens with everything

Ppl forget about the generic stuff and only remember the "gems" then claim the past was different, when infact, it wasnt
Apr 7, 2016 1:49 PM

Feb 2010
I'll rewrite this question into 'what aspects of old school anime were better than today'.

There used to be more mainstream TV anime that could sustain themselves from Tv ratings and commercials and didn't have to rely on a niche fandom while being of little interest to anyone outside of that niche fandom. They had a wider appeal and longer runtimes which led to more fleshed out characters and stories and less teasers for the source material that are already over as soon as you start them without ever giving you any kind of closure.

There also used to be more OVAs which used to play the role of both source material teasing (with 1 or 2 OVA episodes instead of a 1-cour late night Tv series) and being a playground for animators who could really go wild in a lot of these OVAs since there's less time pressure and more budget than for your average TV episode. While because of the nature of those OVAs (either short, original stories or just adapting a small part of a manga) the stories have rarely been better than fine, it did at least provide room for the occasional creative original story and also often impresses with unique and detailed animation or backgrounds. And to add a subjective note, I just love the soundtracks of oldschool anime, especially from the 80s. They have that unique 80s sound I love and in general are much rockier and exciting than the jpop we get nowadays, imo.

So yeah, these two things are the two advantages I see in how anime used to be produced. That's not to say the current methods don't also have their advantages, but I'm too lazy to talk about that when it wasn't even part of the question.

Noxious_ said:
Mamster-P said:
@Noxious_

you know you can still get nostalgia from older content that was around before you were born right? i was born at the end of the 80's and i still get the nostalgia feel from content from before then

Wtf how is that nostalgia then. I had not heard about the show until I had watched it. Is nostalgia not just have a biased opinion on something simply because you had watched/experienced something when you were younger? I don't think you can say something along the lines of this.

You can feel nostalgia on a broader scale than just regarding the particular show you're watching. Nostalgia for cel animation, for the 90s, the 80s, for the music of the decade, for a certain (voice) actor that appears in it etc...
Which can positively impact your experience with a series/movie/whatever.

I mean I'm the first one who will agree that those people who are saying I only enjoy old anime because of nostalgia when I didn't even start watching old anime until a few years ago are stupid and just lack the ability to see that anime can be appealing on their own no matter how old they are. But I still have to admit that nostalgia is a broader thing that doesn't only describe the feeling of rewatching something you've seen a long time ago.
AlcoholicideApr 7, 2016 1:57 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 7, 2016 5:58 PM

Dec 2012
Warped perceptions or retro artistic taste? 'Cause the ratio of good/shit anime hasn't changed.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 7, 2016 6:16 PM

Oct 2015
domko said:
"Nostalgia"
This is the signal word for detecting retards. A lot of old anime was not even translated until recently.

Pray tell, How does that make nostalgia not exist?

And before you get defensive like a lot of old-mecha purists do, I am not at all insinuating that you experience nostalgia.
Apr 7, 2016 7:30 PM

Jan 2013
black1blade said:
Major123 said:

Shit happened, that is what. Well it's the third impact right. I still haven't actually seen episodes 25 and 26 of the original series...
Those are like a light version of the second half of the movie.
Apr 7, 2016 7:40 PM

Oct 2014
What's funny is that late 90s to early 2000s is not oldschool anime (I'm saying this as a teenager). Naruto Part 1 may not be moe, but it is not old-school. FMA03 may not be moe, but it is not old school. Early One Piece is not oldschool. D Gray Man is not oldschool. These things aren't oldschool because they aren't too different to what comes out these days. FMA and Magi share a similar writing style, yet are both good in their own ways. D Gray Man and Blue Exorcist share a similar concept, yet are good in different ways. And so on.

When I think old school, I think Yu Yu Hakusho and DBZ and Berserk and Ushio to Tora. Not late 90s to early 2000s stuff.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Apr 7, 2016 7:53 PM

May 2013
It just feels nostalgic. Anime has changed a lot these days...better animation, more cours but fewer episodes! the emergence of all these -deres, interesting plot lines and all. I can say, it will just keep on advancing to suit the level of modernization the society has been. I've been watching Anime since the good old 2000's, and even back then, I think the normal anime length for one cour is about 100-25 eps...but now, 13-24-episode anime length are much more mainstream!
I think the classic animes has its own forte that I could consider even irreplaceable as I watch newer animes, that nostalgic experience from the past just don't die from me. I regard the old animes I watch with such fervor. Even so, I also wanted to see the dynamic evolution of anime from the past until the present.
I have always wondered this one, back in the days, I feel like being isolated so much cause there are only rare people who knew anime before, but now, I mean, there is MAL! I think that the people who are into anime are increasing. The 2000 Otaku me wouldn't have predicted this kind of future. And, it is a good future. Hopefully.
Saber_PrincessApr 7, 2016 8:03 PM

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

34 by MasterTasuke »»
1 minute ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 28 minutes ago

10 by Rinrinka »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

122 by logopolis »»
7 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

3 by VeryRedBags »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

208 by PurplePants »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.