Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 28, 2016 11:43 AM

Mar 2016
Some time ago, I got interested in the Manga of KonoSuba since I saw the Anime and liked it. But when I was checking on a Manga website, I saw that it hasn't been updated in quite a while and then I got to know, that there was a "Light Novel" of it.

I searched in the internet and found a website, where I could read it. I read a few chapters, than stopped. And after that I didn't pick it up for a few weeks since I easily got bored of it.

Am I the only one, who has this problem with LN's ? And it's not because of the series, that can guarantee. I also tried reading Toaru Majutsu no Index, but it was the same.

I really want to get into LN's tho
BatsmoMay 18, 2020 8:21 AM
Mar 28, 2016 12:03 PM

Dec 2011
I've never gotten bored of any light novels but I know if I were to try to read even the best ones on a screen I would stop really quickly. Computer screens aren't designed for reading large blocks of text on. Are you sure this wasn't (at least a part of) the issue?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 28, 2016 12:20 PM

Dec 2011
Phone screens are worse than computer screens, not better. It's not so much due to the size or comfort as the way text is created on a computer or phone screen...

Our eyes have little problem focusing on printed material that has dense black characters with well-defined edges. But characters on a computer screen don't have the same degree of contrast and definition.

Words and images on a computer screen are created by combinations of tiny points of light (pixels), which are brightest at the center and diminish in intensity toward their edges. This makes it more difficult for our eyes to maintain focus on them. Instead, our eyes want to drift to a reduced level of focusing called the "resting point of accommodation" or RPA.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/faqs.htm

You'll notice if you read something on an e-reader that it feels very different - this is because the screens of most of these are designed to make it easy for you to read large amounts of text, whereas computer and phone screens are designed around the assumption that if there's a large amount of text that you have to read that you'll print it off before reading it on paper.

Anyway, if that's beside the point then it's beside the point.

Other possibilities could include the way the text was translated perhaps?

I take it that you are okay with reading novels in general? Odd as it seems to regular readers like myself there are some people who just plain don't like reading text-based books for whatever reason.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 28, 2016 1:14 PM

Jul 2014
NeverStrikes said:
Some time ago, I got interested in the Manga of High School DxD since I saw the Anime and liked it. But when I was checking on a Manga website, I saw that it hasn't been updated in quite a while and then I got to know, that there was a "Light Novel" of it.

I searched in the internet and found a website, where I could read it. I read a few chapters, than stopped. And after that I didn't pick it up for a few weeks since I easily got bored of it.

Am I the only one, who has this problem with LN's ? And it's not because of the series, that can guarantee. I also tried reading Toaru Majutsu no Index, but it was the same.

I really want to get into LN's tho

Stylistically, LNs are pretty different from the novels which western readers are more accustomed to. These stylist differences might be the reason why you are either easily 'bored' of, or unable to get into reading LNs. LNs tend to be dialogue heavy and can but off people who do not particularly like reading dialogue. Additionally, these dialogue heavy scenes tend to not have clear indications regarding which character is actually speaking and can thus be harder to follow if a reader is unfamiliar with the writing styles of LN authors.

Also, LNs tend to be stylistically simple in a literary sense since they are written with the mindset of allowing those with limited literary knowledge to enjoy. Thus, if you are used to, or prefer novels that are linguistically rich and complex, the LN medium not also put you off.

These are my two-cents regarding this topic~
Mar 28, 2016 1:25 PM

Jul 2014
NeverStrikes said:
First of all, I enjoy reading it, while I'm reading it. But once I stop, I don't feel like reading again.

I like Dialogues, I don't need a rich amount of comlex sentences etc. Everything is right, but I just don't feel like reading it.

Does that make sense ? Is there a solution ? Something ?

Then what the other guy said. Try ordering a physical copy and see if it changes anything. Or you can always force yourself finish an entire volume before you stop. Perhaps stopping at the end of a volume instead of in the middle of a chapter might help? Again, simply my two-cents.
Mar 28, 2016 1:32 PM

Jun 2014
While I haven't read that many light novels, the one thing does deter me is the eye strain I get from reading it off the computer. Also I just finished the DxD volume 1 right now and it's not really amazing imo. Try reading something else that interests you.
All credit goes to Sacred.

More topics from this board

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

149 by Armandoriel »»
1 hour ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - 8 hours ago

0 by MagrMal »»
8 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

21 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:55 PM

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

52 by Luxology »»
Yesterday, 5:40 PM

» Ur fav manga

Aoust_Adenca - Mar 10, 2023

21 by eatyourgreenz »»
Yesterday, 2:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.