Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 27, 2016 7:53 PM

Jun 2011
I am watching this movie, expecting something sweet but that protagonist was a cliched typical bratty anime character. I am very against whiny 14-year-olds with attitudes, I did not have much of an attitude at 14 and was a positive girl. And I don't know why they always have to make movies about annoying kid characters as if they were painting teenagers as unlikeable brats.

Come on man, when is a movie going to come along that doesn't have a teenager whining a lot?
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Mar 27, 2016 7:58 PM

Apr 2014
Because, imagine this for a second, you are a special snowflake! No, srsly its a common trope for girls who go through their teen years to display whiny behaviors. You are saying that you werent one of those but in all honesty it isnt up to you to judge how people look at you. Other people are the ones that determine whether ur whiny to them or not. Teenagers are unbearable, obnoxious and annoying because they are growing up trying to balance many things in their little lives. I know because I was a teen once. However having teenagers being unbearable is common because it reflects what is in the real world. Maybe you havent experienced it personally but its a trope for a reason because it happens a lot.
Mar 27, 2016 8:11 PM

Jun 2011
moodie said:
Because, imagine this for a second, you are a special snowflake! No, srsly its a common trope for girls who go through their teen years to display whiny behaviors. You are saying that you werent one of those but in all honesty it isnt up to you to judge how people look at you. Other people are the ones that determine whether ur whiny to them or not. Teenagers are unbearable, obnoxious and annoying because they are growing up trying to balance many things in their little lives. I know because I was a teen once. However having teenagers being unbearable is common because it reflects what is in the real world. Maybe you havent experienced it personally but its a trope for a reason because it happens a lot.

I'm saying that based on what people say about me! I never said I wasn't that whiny! And I did experience that personally, stupid!

and no I am not a special snowflake but I am a spoiled brat! XD
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Mar 27, 2016 8:57 PM

Jun 2011
Why do ppl like this crap? The girl is a jerk... a jerk!!!!! I watched 10 minutes and I can't stand her attitude!!!! There seems to be no negative reviews yet. How come????/????/?

Mar 28, 2016 12:59 AM

Jun 2011
I want to strangle that protagonist (whatever her name is) for being so aloof!!!

Jul 13, 2016 11:21 AM

Apr 2013
You're very much in the minority if you actually dislike Alice. Throwing around buzzwords like 'cliched' and 'typical' is fine, but if you don't actually explain what you mean by them, I have no clue what your argument is. I, for one, think that Alice is a complex character with a strong sense of identity. Instead of whining about being bullied and getting ready to cry over it, she's far more capable than that. Her character isn't defined by her bullying troubles (like some other characters in anime), because she's more than that. Oh, and even though she wants to do ballet, she doesn't whine about it. Alice even insists that she doesn't want to do it because of budget troubles, but her mother pushes her into it.

Either you have an extremely low threshold for whining (which comes naturally to all of us), or you haven't witnessed the likes of Shinji Ikari, Sakura (Naruto) or Nina Einstein. Hana to Alice: Satsujin Jiken wants to portray realistic teenagers, so some level of angst is expected. In fact, it's necessary to create a complex and multi-faceted character. It didn't bother me in the slightest throughout the film. It's incredibly toned down from the sort of angst you see in something like Kokoro Connect. This film is gravitating at a slightly higher level of angst than Cowboy Bebop, for god's sake. What on Earth did you watch before seeing this film? I could make a point that every character in anime whines, and if they don't, they aren't interesting characters. It becomes irritating when you take it to a ridiculously high degree, but Hana to Alice: Satsujin Jiken never comes close to that degree.

I want to strangle that protagonist (whatever her name is) for being so aloof!!!

Did you really just forget the protagonist's name when it's in the title of the film and repeated a LOT early on in the film?

Oh, and you're whining about whining. There's some nice meta for you. You watched 10 minutes, didn't like the protagonist's first impression, and are wondering why there aren't any negative reviews for a 98-minute movie? If you're going to criticise, criticise after you've seen the film so you can articulate your opinions more concisely.

This wasn't meant to be written in an aggressive voice, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't read it that way, but I do admit that my writing is a tinge direct.
Jul 16, 2016 3:55 PM

Jun 2011
Fall said:
You're very much in the minority if you actually dislike Alice. Throwing around buzzwords like 'cliched' and 'typical' is fine, but if you don't actually explain what you mean by them, I have no clue what your argument is. I, for one, think that Alice is a complex character with a strong sense of identity. Instead of whining about being bullied and getting ready to cry over it, she's far more capable than that. Her character isn't defined by her bullying troubles (like some other characters in anime), because she's more than that. Oh, and even though she wants to do ballet, she doesn't whine about it. Alice even insists that she doesn't want to do it because of budget troubles, but her mother pushes her into it.

Either you have an extremely low threshold for whining (which comes naturally to all of us), or you haven't witnessed the likes of Shinji Ikari, Sakura (Naruto) or Nina Einstein. Hana to Alice: Satsujin Jiken wants to portray realistic teenagers, so some level of angst is expected. In fact, it's necessary to create a complex and multi-faceted character. It didn't bother me in the slightest throughout the film. It's incredibly toned down from the sort of angst you see in something like Kokoro Connect. This film is gravitating at a slightly higher level of angst than Cowboy Bebop, for god's sake. What on Earth did you watch before seeing this film? I could make a point that every character in anime whines, and if they don't, they aren't interesting characters. It becomes irritating when you take it to a ridiculously high degree, but Hana to Alice: Satsujin Jiken never comes close to that degree.

Did you really just forget the protagonist's name when it's in the title of the film and repeated a LOT early on in the film?

Oh, and you're whining about whining. There's some nice meta for you. You watched 10 minutes, didn't like the protagonist's first impression, and are wondering why there aren't any negative reviews for a 98-minute movie? If you're going to criticise, criticise after you've seen the film so you can articulate your opinions more concisely.

This wasn't meant to be written in an aggressive voice, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't read it that way, but I do admit that my writing is a tinge direct.

I did finish watching the film. It was average, but I still don't like characters being mean all the time. I want an easy-going character that's not too nice, nor too mean. Something like Spike is a pretty good character. I do not like angst, nor overly realistic anime.

I don't know who Sakura or Nina is because I don't like the animes they were from. But Shinji Ikari can go screw himself too. I don't even know what Kokoro is either.

Cowboy Bebop is much better than this because it does not wallow itself in depression and you don't criticize that anime.

What on Earth did you watch before seeing this film? I could make a point that every character in anime whines, and if they don't, they aren't interesting characters. It becomes irritating when you take it to a ridiculously high degree, but Hana to Alice: Satsujin Jiken never comes close to that degree.

You're just not making sense. I'm sorry, Alice may not be the meanest character because I already finished watching it, but I still didn't like the slow pace in the beginning. Sure everyone has their bad side but there are some who are very easy-going and likeable. I met some fourteen-year-olds that are immature, but do not act as mean as Alice. They are respectful, affable, and innocent and that's who I want in a person.

I am also immature, but I don't like being mean sometimes. I'm only mean sometimes.

Characters can be forgettable. Damn, man, you act like my cousin.

You should speak in a more tactful manner, man. You pressuring me to remember a character's name and getting mad at me for not liking something out of my niche is not a good argument.

Jul 16, 2016 4:08 PM

Jan 2015
You're implying that not every teenage girl acts like this a some point in their life. It's realistic bruh.
Jul 16, 2016 4:11 PM

Jun 2011
Status_Effect said:
You're implying that not every teenage girl acts like this a some point in their life. It's realistic bruh.

But Alice is bitchier than some other kids I know her age.

Jul 16, 2016 4:44 PM

Jan 2015
pinkarray said:
Status_Effect said:

But Alice is bitchier than some other kids I know her age.

She seems like a normal teen bitch to me, but meh.
Jul 17, 2016 2:06 AM

Apr 2013
pinkarray said:
I did finish watching the film. It was average, but I still don't like characters being mean all the time. I want an easy-going character that's not too nice, nor too mean. Something like Spike is a pretty good character. I do not like angst, nor overly realistic anime.

I don't know who Sakura or Nina is because I don't like the animes they were from. But Shinji Ikari can go screw himself too. I don't even know what Kokoro is either.

There you go; now you have finished it. That was my main gripe -- not that you didn't like a character, but that you were complaining about not liking a character after watching the first 10 minutes. The other thing I had a problem with was your strange reasoning. You're welcome to dislike a character, but calling them a 'cliched whiny brat' without any explanation is weird to me because this character is very different from the norm (and therefore not cliched) and doesn't whine a whole lot.

Here:
Kokoro Connect
You might actually like it, I don't know.

Cowboy Bebop is much better than this because it does not wallow itself in depression and you don't criticize that anime.

At what point does Hana to Alice wallow in depression? I can think of one moment that lasted about 5 minutes at best. Hana to Alice is extremely tame, especially in comparison to a lot of other media. This is one of the most lighthearted films I know. When bullying shows up, instead of angsting about it, the film makes fun of it through deadpan humour. It's only after the 80 minute mark that it attempts any kind of drama, angst or depression. I'm not going to kill you for not liking the film, but that's a really weird criticism.

What do you mean "I don't criticise [Cowboy Bebop]?" I have no idea what you mean, so I'll just tell you what I think, then. I think it's a lot worse than Hana to Alice because it tries so hard to be cool; it tries to wallow in coolness. I don't buy it. Cowboy Bebop tries to wallow in coolness, but I don't find it endearing. There are also many moments toward the end where characters get depressed over something, too, but I don't care about the characters, so I don't care about their troubles. Those episodes didn't mean much to me.

You're just not making sense. I'm sorry, Alice may not be the meanest character because I already finished watching it, but I still didn't like the slow pace in the beginning. Sure everyone has their bad side but there are some who are very easy-going and likeable. I met some fourteen-year-olds that are immature, but do not act as mean as Alice.

Alice, a mean character? What? How? She's a pretty nice person as long as you don't go out of your way to bully or make fun of her. If you deliberately try to get on her bad side, she won't be nice to you. That's not surprising.

I think that Alice is very easy-going and likeable, and certainly not mean.

They are respectful, affable, and innocent and that's who I want in a person.

You might want to try the 'shy girl' archetype, then. It's pretty common to find female protagonists without any personality or backbone. Juuni Kokuki starts off like that.

Alice is pretty innocent and affable, too. She may not be entirely respectful, but she definitely isn't disrespectful, either.

I am also immature, but I don't like being mean sometimes. I'm only mean sometimes.

So is Alice..? Once again, she's pretty nice a lot of the time.

Characters can be forgettable. Damn, man, you act like my cousin.

Sure, but you apparently really disliked her. You don't typically forget the names of people/characters you have strong feelings toward.

You should speak in a more tactful manner, man. You pressuring me to remember a character's name and getting mad at me for not liking something out of my niche is not a good argument.

I try to most of the time, but I'm not going to rewrite paragraphs just for it to appear nicer. I'm not pressuring you to remember a character's name, I just found it rather silly considering the context. It was light mockery without ill will at best. But I'll apologise anyway, because even though it wasn't intended to be mean-spirited, I phrased it in such a way that isn't so hard to interpret as such.

Sorry.

Also, in this response, I said that the qualities you wanted in a person are equivalent to someone 'without any personality or backbone.' Not intended as an attack on your tastes; I truly believe that and that's why I like Hana/Alice.

<moving on>

The anger wasn't the argument, though. That was only the fuel. I presented a bunch of arguments as to why I thought Alice didn't live up to your generalisations. I didn't just use ad hominems. I think my arguments are pretty logical and have weight to them, but the part I specifically wanted to rebuke was Alice being a 'cliche and whiny' character.

Perhaps I've made it hard to tell, so I'll make it clear what the essence of my argument is (and my beef with you):

I'm not attacking your tastes. I'm not saying you have to like her. I hold that she's a good and unique character, even if you don't like her. I don't blame you if you don't respond, though; for someone who doesn't even like the characters or the movie to sit here and argue with me about their 'goodness' doesn't sound like it would be worth your time.
FallJul 17, 2016 2:33 AM
Jul 17, 2016 5:37 AM

Jun 2011
There you go; now you have finished it. That was my main gripe -- not that you didn't like a character, but that you were complaining about not liking a character after watching the first 10 minutes. The other thing I had a problem with was your strange reasoning. You're welcome to dislike a character, but calling them a 'cliched whiny brat' without any explanation is weird to me because this character is very different from the norm (and therefore not cliched) and doesn't whine a whole lot.

I called her that because she's aggressive. She elbowed her mom so that her mom can submit and get out of the room.

Here:
Kokoro Connect
You might actually like it, I don't know.

I'm still not for sure if I'd watch it. Like I said, I do not like angst.

At what point does Hana to Alice wallow in depression? I can think of one moment that lasted about 5 minutes at best. Hana to Alice is extremely tame, especially in comparison to a lot of other media. This is one of the most lighthearted films I know. When bullying shows up, instead of angsting about it, the film makes fun of it through deadpan humour. It's only after the 80 minute mark that it attempts any kind of drama, angst or depression. I'm not going to kill you for not liking the film, but that's a really weird criticism.

What do you mean "I don't criticise [Cowboy Bebop]?" I have no idea what you mean, so I'll just tell you what I think, then. I think it's a lot worse than Hana to Alice because it tries so hard to be cool; it tries to wallow in coolness. I don't buy it. Cowboy Bebop tries to wallow in coolness, but I don't find it endearing. There are also many moments toward the end where characters get depressed over something, too, but I don't care about the characters, so I don't care about their troubles. Those episodes didn't mean much to me.

Well, you were saying 'angst' so, yeah, maybe the characters take the bullying to heart by angsting about it.

Yes, Cowboy Bebop wallows in coolness, but the characters showed realistic emotions. Sometimes, it does have a bit too much angst but I don't think it's very very angsty.

Alice, a mean character? What? How? She's a pretty nice person as long as you don't go out of your way to bully or make fun of her. If you deliberately try to get on her bad side, she won't be nice to you. That's not surprising.

I think that Alice is very easy-going and likeable, and certainly not mean.

Well, I forgot about this movie, hadn't watched it for months now, but I just can remember this scene when she elbowed her mom. That is being an unlikeable, mean brat to me.

You might want to try the 'shy girl' archetype, then. It's pretty common to find female protagonists without any personality or backbone. Juuni Kokuki starts off like that.

Alice is pretty innocent and affable, too. She may not be entirely respectful, but she definitely isn't disrespectful, either.

She's not a very affable person but she is disrespectful. I watched about 5 episodes of Juuni Kokuki, it has a little too much crying in it but I thought it was pretty good so far. So, I don't know what else it would bring. The characters seem very nice and likeable.

I try to most of the time, but I'm not going to rewrite paragraphs just for it to appear nicer. I'm not pressuring you to remember a character's name, I just found it rather silly considering the context. It was light mockery without ill will at best. But I'll apologise anyway, because even though it wasn't intended to be mean-spirited, I phrased it in such a way that isn't so hard to interpret as such.

Sorry.

Also, in this response, I said that the qualities you wanted in a person are equivalent to someone 'without any personality or backbone.' Not intended as an attack on your tastes; I truly believe that and that's why I like Hana/Alice.

<moving on>

The anger wasn't the argument, though. That was only the fuel. I presented a bunch of arguments as to why I thought Alice didn't live up to your generalisations. I didn't just use ad hominems. I think my arguments are pretty logical and have weight to them, but the part I specifically wanted to rebuke was Alice being a 'cliche and whiny' character.

That's okay. But I still don't understand how a teenager isn't having her bad butt moments to you.

I'm not attacking your tastes. I'm not saying you have to like her. I hold that she's a good and unique character, even if you don't like her. I don't blame you if you don't respond, though; for someone who doesn't even like the characters or the movie to sit here and argue with me about their 'goodness' doesn't sound like it would be worth your time.

But I like sweet characters. I don't know what you saw in Alice, but what I saw was a petty character.
Angry_Anime_NerdJul 17, 2016 5:41 AM

Jul 18, 2016 2:00 AM

Apr 2013
Well, you were saying 'angst' so, yeah, maybe the characters take the bullying to heart by angsting about it.

Nah, the bullying was never really taken too seriously for longer than a few minutes. Alice felt a bit down when her mother asked her about it, but her downtrodden attitude disappears quite quickly when she finds a familiar face.

Yes, Cowboy Bebop wallows in coolness, but the characters showed realistic emotions. Sometimes, it does have a bit too much angst but I don't think it's very very angsty.

I would argue that Hana & Alice are some of the most realistic characters I've seen. I never noticed much angst because there wasn't a whole lot of it. Trust me when I say that this is one of the least angsty things I've ever seen.

Well, I forgot about this movie, hadn't watched it for months now, but I just can remember this scene when she elbowed her mom. That is being an unlikeable, mean brat to me.

That's more playful banter than anything than mean-spiritedness. She can do that because she's so close to her mother. Alice's mum regularly writes books about stories about what her daughter tells her without consulting her and even after telling Alice that she definitely won't do it (but does it anyway). She shares personal moments in published books. That's pretty embarrassing. In fact, she even says this:

"She still calls me mummy!" (which, by the way, she continues to do even after this scene)

Alice's mum was even gossiping to the teacher about a handsome male teacher, asking her if he has a boyfriend and stuff like that. In other words, she tends to go overboard very easily and regularly embarrasses Alice. Alice is playing tit for tat, essentially. And rather than a mother, she's more like an older sister in her interactions with Alice. They're pretty close. I have friends that playfully insult me, and I return the favour, too.. It's basically the same thing. It's somewhat nebulous and hard to put into words, but it isn't something you can do without being close.

This isn't anything like the mean-spirited comedy in Tom & Jerry.

And she's still somewhat dependent on her mother at the age of 14, but who can blame her? Her parents have been through a divorce and Alice wants to keep both of them as close as possible, something which her mother respects when she asks Alice to give her book to her father. You don't see her angsting about that divorce, which had to be a significant event in her life. All she asks is that she not be called "Kuroyanagi." Tack this on and you can see why Alice might be somewhat stressed. She's moving to a new city without any of her friends and moving to a new school with only her mother. There are a number of factors at play here. And it's because Alice is such a complex/multi-faceted (and not cliche, as you proclaim) character that I find her likeable and nice.

She's not a very affable person but she is disrespectful.

Alice is pretty affable toward Hana, her ballet friend and pretty much anyone else who isn't being a prick to her. The only instances of disrespect I can recall that weren't justified are some moments when she interacts with her mother. I don't think that's a big deal, considering how much they love each other. Alice has faced chronic embarrassment almost every time she's out with her in public, anyway, so I don't really blame her.

I watched about 5 episodes of Juuni Kokuki, it has a little too much crying in it but I thought it was pretty good so far. So, I don't know what else it would bring. The characters seem very nice and likeable.

The Twelve Kingdoms is one of my favourite series because of the characters (worldbuilding is pretty great too). Sounds like Kemono no Souja Erin would match your tastes.

But I like sweet characters. I don't know what you saw in Alice, but what I saw was a petty character.

Alice isn't my favourite character; Hana is. Alice is still a pretty great character for a multitude of reasons. This is only one of them:

As it turns out, Hana dropped a bee down Juda's shirt on a whim because she felt irritated with him, which ended up stinging him and giving him an anaphylactic attack. This event ironically scarred Hana more than Juda, as she isolates herself to her house for most of the time after said event. It's likely because of this experience that Hana decided to keep her whimsical nature in check and think things out a lot more thoroughly before doing them; she contents herself with sticking at the sidelines and observing things before making a move; she represses herself.

It's through her interaction with Alice that she starts to rediscover a lot of her whimsical nature. Alice pushes Hana forward again by forcing her to interact with Juda, as opposed to running away from her problems. Hana's relationship with Alice allows her to grow as a person and confront the things she was previously unable to face head-on; she gives Hana the strength that she can't summon on her own. Because of this, Alice becomes an important friend to Hana by the end of the film.

Her friendship with Alice is something I'm really fond of.

I like Alice for a few reasons off the top of my head:

• She has a strong sense of identity
  • She has some actual backbone
  • She cares about her friends and her parents
  • She's easygoing and seems fun to be around
  • She's willing to take charge and get the job done when the situation demands it
  • She's a quirky and amusing individual who is entertaining to watch
  • She takes on most of what she can by herself and doesn't whine about her problems to other people
  • In spite of her parent's divorce, she's still trying to stay as close to them as possible and I love her close interactions with her parents.
  • Has a nice sense of humour
  • She isn't perfect, but I find her flaws endearing

And I think Alice is a pretty sweet and naive character myself, she just doesn't make much effort to dress herself up that way. I don't see Alice as a petty character. I see someone who is going through a bit of a hard time, is under some stress and is worried/anxious about the future.
Aug 11, 2016 10:19 AM

Jun 2011
Fall said:

Nah, the bullying was never really taken too seriously for longer than a few minutes. Alice felt a bit down when her mother asked her about it, but her downtrodden attitude disappears quite quickly when she finds a familiar face.

I would argue that Hana & Alice are some of the most realistic characters I've seen. I never noticed much angst because there wasn't a whole lot of it. Trust me when I say that this is one of the least angsty things I've ever seen.

That's more playful banter than anything than mean-spiritedness. She can do that because she's so close to her mother. Alice's mum regularly writes books about stories about what her daughter tells her without consulting her and even after telling Alice that she definitely won't do it (but does it anyway). She shares personal moments in published books. That's pretty embarrassing. In fact, she even says this:

"She still calls me mummy!" (which, by the way, she continues to do even after this scene)

Alice's mum was even gossiping to the teacher about a handsome male teacher, asking her if he has a boyfriend and stuff like that. In other words, she tends to go overboard very easily and regularly embarrasses Alice. Alice is playing tit for tat, essentially. And rather than a mother, she's more like an older sister in her interactions with Alice. They're pretty close. I have friends that playfully insult me, and I return the favour, too.. It's basically the same thing. It's somewhat nebulous and hard to put into words, but it isn't something you can do without being close.

This isn't anything like the mean-spirited comedy in Tom & Jerry.

And she's still somewhat dependent on her mother at the age of 14, but who can blame her? Her parents have been through a divorce and Alice wants to keep both of them as close as possible, something which her mother respects when she asks Alice to give her book to her father. You don't see her angsting about that divorce, which had to be a significant event in her life. All she asks is that she not be called "Kuroyanagi." Tack this on and you can see why Alice might be somewhat stressed. She's moving to a new city without any of her friends and moving to a new school with only her mother. There are a number of factors at play here. And it's because Alice is such a complex/multi-faceted (and not cliche, as you proclaim) character that I find her likeable and nice.

She's not a very affable person but she is disrespectful.

Alice is pretty affable toward Hana, her ballet friend and pretty much anyone else who isn't being a prick to her. The only instances of disrespect I can recall that weren't justified are some moments when she interacts with her mother. I don't think that's a big deal, considering how much they love each other. Alice has faced chronic embarrassment almost every time she's out with her in public, anyway, so I don't really blame her.

I watched about 5 episodes of Juuni Kokuki, it has a little too much crying in it but I thought it was pretty good so far. So, I don't know what else it would bring. The characters seem very nice and likeable.

The Twelve Kingdoms is one of my favourite series because of the characters (worldbuilding is pretty great too). Sounds like Kemono no Souja Erin would match your tastes.

Alice isn't my favourite character; Hana is. Alice is still a pretty great character for a multitude of reasons. This is only one of them:

As it turns out, Hana dropped a bee down Juda's shirt on a whim because she felt irritated with him, which ended up stinging him and giving him an anaphylactic attack. This event ironically scarred Hana more than Juda, as she isolates herself to her house for most of the time after said event. It's likely because of this experience that Hana decided to keep her whimsical nature in check and think things out a lot more thoroughly before doing them; she contents herself with sticking at the sidelines and observing things before making a move; she represses herself.

It's through her interaction with Alice that she starts to rediscover a lot of her whimsical nature. Alice pushes Hana forward again by forcing her to interact with Juda, as opposed to running away from her problems. Hana's relationship with Alice allows her to grow as a person and confront the things she was previously unable to face head-on; she gives Hana the strength that she can't summon on her own. Because of this, Alice becomes an important friend to Hana by the end of the film.

Her friendship with Alice is something I'm really fond of.

I like Alice for a few reasons off the top of my head:

• She has a strong sense of identity
  • She has some actual backbone
  • She cares about her friends and her parents
  • She's easygoing and seems fun to be around
  • She's willing to take charge and get the job done when the situation demands it
  • She's a quirky and amusing individual who is entertaining to watch
  • She takes on most of what she can by herself and doesn't whine about her problems to other people
  • In spite of her parent's divorce, she's still trying to stay as close to them as possible and I love her close interactions with her parents.
  • Has a nice sense of humour
  • She isn't perfect, but I find her flaws endearing

And I think Alice is a pretty sweet and naive character myself, she just doesn't make much effort to dress herself up that way. I don't see Alice as a petty character. I see someone who is going through a bit of a hard time, is under some stress and is worried/anxious about the future.

I don't know what made you think I like shy characters, but I don't.

Yuki from Wolf Children? Annoying
Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion? Boring
Lain from Serial Experiments Lain? Inconsistent

I see that you have watched a little bit of Kemono no Souja Erin, it starts strong at first, but then gets sickeningly sweet later on. There are few characters out there that are very polite. Such as old disney characters or 80s don bluth characters. Those are the ones that I liked.

Sep 16, 2016 8:49 PM

Apr 2013
pinkarray said:
I don't know what made you think I like shy characters, but I don't.
This is a late response, so forgive me if I'm not as engaged in this argument as before.

I don't know why I thought you did either.

Yuki from Wolf Children? Annoying
Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion? Boring
Lain from Serial Experiments Lain? Inconsistent
I agree with the first two, but what makes you say that Lain's character is inconsistent?
I see that you have watched a little bit of Kemono no Souja Erin, it starts strong at first, but then gets sickeningly sweet later on. There are few characters out there that are very polite. Such as old disney characters or 80s don bluth characters. Those are the ones that I liked.
Sure, okay. That's your preference, just as I have my preferences. I personally think that politeness is a superficial quality to value above all else in people (or fictional characters), but I value superficial qualities very highly myself, so I don't have any room to condemn you for it -- not that I would. Thanks for the Kemono perspective, btw.

How do you feel about Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind's Nausicaa? I'm not sure whether you would like her.

I'm actually very interested in how you feel about Princess Arete from Arete Hime.

I think Kino from Kino's Journey is a happy medium between what we both value in characters, though you might not care for the show very much.

Yukino Miyazawa from Kare Kano is one of my favourite characters in anime, but I honestly don't know how you would feel about her. Though, I could hazard a guess that she doesn't properly match your criteria.

Minky Momo in Bridge Over Dreams is definitely polite, at least as far as my standards go. She isn't dull or boring, either. I wonder how you'd fare with her.

I'm very curious as to how you feel about Anthy Himemiya from Revolutionary Girl Utena. It's a great series in itself, so I recommend seeing it if you haven't already.

Polite Characters

Maria-sama ga Miteru is probably the series for you.

Haibane Renmei does a lot in this department, if I recall correctly.

Aki no Kanade, perhaps? Maybe not.

I've heard good things about Usagi Drop.

Your tastes seem to be even more particular than mine. I honestly have no idea what you like or what I should recommend, because I thought for sure that Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service would be too impolite for you, but you have it rated so highly...
Sep 16, 2016 8:57 PM

Sep 2012
Because a story about a 14 year old kid who has literally no problems and doesn't react to or have emotion about anything would be incredibly boring?
Sep 18, 2016 5:15 PM

Jun 2011
I agree with the first two, but what makes you say that Lain's character is inconsistent?

She has these personality disorders where she goes from a nice, shy school-girl to an evil, cruel girl and keeps changing throughout when she got into Wired.

How do you feel about Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind's Nausicaa? I'm not sure whether you would like her.

It was pretty good anime. I thought I wouldn't like it but while it may not have been the best Miyazaki movie and Nausicaa was sometimes too strong-willed, I still thought it was better than I thought.

Yukino Miyazawa from Kare Kano is one of my favourite characters in anime, but I honestly don't know how you would feel about her. Though, I could hazard a guess that she doesn't properly match your criteria.

I didn't watch the whole thing but from what I saw, it was alright, I mean, yeah, Yukino did acted like a tsundere which annoyed me sometimes.

I'm very curious as to how you feel about Anthy Himemiya from Revolutionary Girl Utena. It's a great series in itself, so I recommend seeing it if you haven't already.

I refuse to try that, sorry. I don't like watching things about kids coping with death.

Polite Characters

Maria-sama ga Miteru is probably the series for you.

Haibane Renmei does a lot in this department, if I recall correctly.

Aki no Kanade, perhaps? Maybe not.

I've heard good things about Usagi Drop.

Rin was supposed to be a precocious character but that trait is getting old. And I felt she was supposed to be the annoying little kid type but it was taken too far.

Your tastes seem to be even more particular than mine. I honestly have no idea what you like or what I should recommend, because I thought for sure that Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service would be too impolite for you, but you have it rated so highly...

I don't recall Kiki exhibiting completely mean behavior but that was 4 years ago when I last saw it and I rarely like a character who's supposed to be naughty.
Angry_Anime_NerdSep 18, 2016 5:23 PM

Sep 23, 2016 6:29 PM

Apr 2013
I refuse to try that, sorry. I don't like watching things about kids coping with death.
Was this even brought up in Utena? Maybe off-handedly, but it certainly isn't prevalent.
Sep 28, 2016 3:43 PM

Jun 2011
Red_Keys said:
Because a story about a 14 year old kid who has literally no problems and doesn't react to or have emotion about anything would be incredibly boring?

I'm not saying that they have to be a stoical kuudere. Conflict is fine in movies and characters have emotions just like real people. But somebody getting angry all the time is not my thing. It's not well-rounded, and it's unlikeable to me. I even read somewhere that part of how to write a character personality well is for every two positive traits, add one negative trait.

If you want to see how I see Alice, here are the traits.

Alice

Positive Traits: Observant, Cautious, Sensitive, Down-to-earth, Honest, Hard-working, Virtuous, Imaginative, Responsible, Bold

Negative Traits: Daring, Bad-tempered, Quarrelsome, Self-centered, Thoughtless, Malicious

BAM!

That is a bit too much flaws and this is why it did not have me initially like Alice in the beginning.

Sep 28, 2016 3:45 PM

Sep 2009
I'd guess, because Japanese are a socially repressed people, so in their works of fiction, they create characters that wouldn't exist in reality. Aka, kids that complain.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 28, 2016 3:55 PM

Nov 2011
pinkarray said:
I am watching this movie, expecting something sweet but that protagonist was a cliched typical bratty anime character. I am very against whiny 14-year-olds with attitudes, I did not have much of an attitude at 14 and was a positive girl. And I don't know why they always have to make movies about annoying kid characters as if they were painting teenagers as unlikeable brats.

Come on man, when is a movie going to come along that doesn't have a teenager whining a lot?

precure, aikatsu have girls around that age that act very maturely. there are "unlikeable brats" in precure, but they are usually either the villain, or change for the better after meeting the cures. aikatsu have no unlikeable kid (though some characters can be forgettable / not given enough screen time)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Oct 8, 2016 12:05 PM

Aug 2009
Wow, what a pointless thread. I'm making a pointless comment to go along with the flow.
Oct 8, 2016 3:58 PM

Jun 2011
mrmuk said:
Wow, what a pointless thread. I'm making a pointless comment to go along with the flow.

I may have been a little too critical but I thought the beginning of this film was slow. It did improve but I do not approve of characters with a bad side that overshadows their good side. I like my characters mellow. Teenagers may show immature behavior but there are not many teenagers that are so annoying like these characters are.
Angry_Anime_NerdOct 8, 2016 4:07 PM

Nov 18, 2016 9:18 AM

Feb 2016
pinkarray said:
mrmuk said:

I may have been a little too critical but I thought the beginning of this film was slow. It did improve but I do not approve of characters with a bad side that overshadows their good side. I like my characters mellow. Teenagers may show immature behavior but there are not many teenagers that are so annoying like these characters are.

I bet you didnt have many friends around that age cuz that's how most teenager's behaviour is around that age. If you cant bear Alice's character at all, then you must have hated half of your classmates back then
Nov 19, 2016 6:52 PM

Jun 2011
jenkkk said:
pinkarray said:

I bet you didnt have many friends around that age cuz that's how most teenager's behaviour is around that age. If you cant bear Alice's character at all, then you must have hated half of your classmates back then

Actually, I'm home-schooled. Been home-schooled since third grade. And no, I do not know many kids around that age. I have seen teenagers with an attitude, some are as bad as Alice, but others are pretty laid-back. I can't stand some kids acting really annoying but having a bit of an attitude is okay since I am not much different either.

Jun 19, 2021 6:31 AM

Oct 2017
She's not that big of a deal compared to loads of other characters that have been written, but she definitely behaves differently to all of her other classmates who you'd assume would be the same: it's more like her behaviour is from being caught up in the classmates' demon theories.
Jul 12, 2021 5:03 AM
Aug 2020
Angry_Anime_Nerd said:

well this is common thing in coming of age movies, also teens are just like that imo. being whiny as a teen is inevitable, as they havent matured yet. and with alice case i dont think she's annoying? she's a fun character and a little bit quirky, she has a likeable personality and seems genuine
Jul 12, 2021 9:48 AM

Jun 2011
Kayzzle said:
Angry_Anime_Nerd said:

well this is common thing in coming of age movies, also teens are just like that imo. being whiny as a teen is inevitable, as they havent matured yet. and with alice case i dont think she's annoying? she's a fun character and a little bit quirky, she has a likeable personality and seems genuine

This post is like 5 years old so my memories of the film are fuzzy now. If I recall correctly, she was a jerk in the beginning but I think she got less annoying overtime. I do know that she was going through a traumatic move but I just have a hate for kids in general. I am trying to learn to be more understanding and empathetic of people than I was 5 years ago, I'm misanthropic and it is still hard to excuse someone's actions even if it is based on trauma and it's especially hard when someone can have an idyllic childhood but still be a jerk. I do know Alice was going through some things that had contributed to her behavior. Still wasn't fond of the film overall but it was ok.
Angry_Anime_NerdJul 12, 2021 9:51 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hana to Alice: Satsujin Jiken Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2015

57 by RGreatDanton »»
Feb 26, 11:00 AM

» anime movie recommendations that has similar tone to this one?

Kayzzle - Jul 12, 2021

4 by iiKrina »»
Jan 30, 2023 8:09 AM

» Preview &amp; Cast

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

8 by Lemon »»
Jun 21, 2015 12:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.