Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 26, 2016 12:28 PM

Nov 2014
Most of you guys must have noticed by now that every single comment section of every single episode of every single anime (maybe I'm exaggerating a bit here...) has that one guy complying about how much he hates the anime but he has still watch it because that's how it is. WHY ? Seriosly, why ? It's annoying just to catch a glimps at their comments. Is it because the number of masochist in the anime community skyrocking or anything ? Or is this some new trend I know nothing about ? Seriosly tell me! It's driving me mad !
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 26, 2016 12:30 PM

Dec 2015
To become the biggest elitist out of all the elitists and people like to complain a lot it is apart of everyone really.
Mar 26, 2016 12:33 PM

Mar 2015
Completionists will complete it no matter the quality
Mar 26, 2016 12:34 PM

Dec 2015
One word m8 - Completionist.
To me they just look like masochists tbh but whatever
Mar 26, 2016 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
RuneRocker said:
Most of you guys must have noticed by now that every single comment section of every single episode of every single anime (maybe I'm exaggerating a bit here...) has that one guy complying about how much he hates the anime but he has still watch it because that's how it is. WHY ? Seriosly, why ? It's annoying just to catch a glimps at their comments. Is it because the number of masochist in the anime community skyrocking or anything ? Or is this some new trend I know nothing about ? Seriosly tell me! It's driving me mad !

You should see the Cross Ange and Phantom World boards.

They're hilarious.

Nov 2012
i know right op. Why do people spent time on shit they don't like. In the mean while you could watch/do so much other things.

Jul 2015
If you don't finish a series you don't have any rights to bash it!
I dropped Highschool of the Dead two times before I managed to finish this atrocity.

Mar 26, 2016 12:37 PM

Nov 2015
2 reasons:
Completionism: People do that because they like to look at the critical aspects of the anime and/or like to experience bad anime as well in order to appreciate the good ones more.

Hating is fun: Well, sometimes bad things can be entertaining too..
Mar 26, 2016 12:38 PM

Oct 2014
There are some terms you might be interested in:
So bad it's good: you could compare this with how fruit are sweetest when they're slightly rotten. It's enjoyable to converse about an anime that everyone agrees is bad.

Mediocre: this essentially means "average" but it implies that the general public thought it was above average. For example: One Punch Man is slightly above average but the average rating tells you that it was one of the best anime of all time. Even though it is above average it is disappointing because you would have expected better.

Shitty but popular: anime that are actually below average and get really high ratings such as Sword Art Online and Elfen Lied are even more fun to bash on because it's much easier to find flaws in their structure and you will always have someone to argue against.

I don't personally engage in these discussions, but I do watch a fair bit of anime that I would consider to be bad mainly because they have low member counts so their mean ratings aren't very accurate.
Mar 26, 2016 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
I don't understand it either. If I hate a show or even find it mediocre I tend to drop it.
Why waste my time with a shitty show when I could watch something I enjoy?
Mar 26, 2016 12:42 PM

Jun 2013
You have to consider everything in the anime you may hate for some particular reason, but somehow you can get some form of enjoyment and that little form of enjoyment is enough to keep watching the anime.
Mar 26, 2016 12:43 PM

Sep 2009
They watch it so that they can give it a shit rating, probably.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 26, 2016 12:44 PM

Jul 2013
If I hate an anime I am watching, I still finish it, because that gives me the credit to shit on it later every time I want.
Mar 26, 2016 12:46 PM

Oct 2014
I only watched Glasslip because of the cultural importance it has on MAL.
Mar 26, 2016 12:50 PM

Apr 2014
Because some people, like me, have a no drop policy.

Dec 2015
CynicalHater said:
Why? You like HXH? hAVE YOU SEEN my reviews. I am a professional otaku, my opinions cmatter
Your reviews are rather amusing...

Sep 2015
For a few reasons.
  • Wanting to see a story finish. I dislike not knowing how something ends, even if I don't like it.
  • The satisfaction gained from completing something nearly always outweighs the negatives of watching something I don't like
  • If I get halfway through a series, I think to myself "I'm halfway. I might as well see it through to the end now"
  • The series has potential to get better. It could have been good at the start but gotten shit later on, or started off shit but got better later on. In both cases it has the potential of getting better, making it worth seeing it through to the end
  • I just enjoy watching anime. Even if I think a particular series is shit, I still enjoy the act of watching anime. There are few anime where I've truly struggled to sit through each episode. I thought School Days was truly the worst anime I've ever seen, but it was never difficult to watch. Not once did I have to force myself to sit down and finish it just for the sake of finishing it. This is true for a lot of the anime I've rated 3 or lower. It might be difficult to understand this if you drop anime yourself, but giving something a 2/10 doesn't necessarily mean I feel like I've wasted my time watching it, nor does it mean I've forced myself to go through with it.
  • There are few anime that I genuinely hate
  • I enjoy discussing anime with other people. I can't do that if I drop anime

Those are some of my thoughts on the matter.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 26, 2016 12:53 PM

Oct 2014
I'd say an example is I detest fucking Diabolik Lovers but I just watched both seasons within the last three days because of the visuals, good looking vampire boys/men and goddamn is the voice acting so good/sex to my ears! That said, doesn't make up for it being sadistic and horrendous and is in no way a "guilty pleasure".

Also, as @GesuYarou said completion plays a role. I had DL on hold for awhile and needed to finish it or it was going to brother me, honestly. Gotta watch the atrocious stuff to appreciate the gems.

Plus, in general there is just some bullshit ya' gotta watch or maybe just can't stop watching.
crestofhonestyMar 26, 2016 1:15 PM
Mar 26, 2016 12:56 PM

Aug 2015
ScarfedPichu said:
To become the biggest elitist out of all the elitists and people like to complain a lot it is apart of everyone really.

This is entirely false.

Some people don't like to drop shows, they prefer to endure the shit until it's over.
This is the internet, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you can't handle someone hating on your favorite anime (which is shit btw), then this is not the place for you.
This is why I don't bother discussing shows on MAL. That's what OT is for.
Mar 26, 2016 12:58 PM

Dec 2015
Melkaticox said:
ScarfedPichu said:

This is entirely false.

Some people don't like to drop shows, they prefer to endure the shit until it's over.
This is the internet, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you can't handle someone hating on your favorite anime (which is shit btw), then this is not the place for you.
This is why I don't bother discussing shows on MAL. That's what OT is for.
I was referring to when it comes to scoring shows but my bad if it didn't come across that way.
Mar 26, 2016 1:00 PM

Aug 2014
-Maz said:
For a few reasons.
  • Wanting to see a story finish. I dislike not knowing how something ends, even if I don't like it.
  • The satisfaction gained from completing something nearly always outweighs the negatives of watching something I don't like
  • If I get halfway through a series, I think to myself "I'm halfway. I might as well see it through to the end now"
  • The series has potential to get better. It could have been good at the start but gotten shit later on, or started off shit but got better later on. In both cases it has the potential of getting better, making it worth seeing it through to the end
  • I just enjoy watching anime. Even if I think a particular series is shit, I still enjoy the act of watching anime. There are few anime where I've truly struggled to sit through each episode. I thought School Days was truly the worst anime I've ever seen, but it was never difficult to watch. Not once did I have to force myself to sit down and finish it just for the sake of finishing it. This is true for a lot of the anime I've rated 3 or lower. It might be difficult to understand this if you drop anime yourself, but giving something a 2/10 doesn't necessarily mean I feel like I've wasted my time watching it, nor does it mean I've forced myself to go through with it.
  • There are few anime that I genuinely hate
  • I enjoy discussing anime with other people. I can't do that if I drop anime

Those are some of my thoughts on the matter.
This pretty much sums it. You can come with valid/reliable discussions/critizism if you actually saw the entire show, compared to if you bash it based on just 1-3 episodes. Not to mention there are quite alot of shows that started out bad/boring (S;G comes to mind) but ended up being amazing later on.
Mar 26, 2016 1:02 PM

Dec 2012
Hating it and still watching it in order to see the end is one thing, that acceptable. Even I've done this, though I stopped years ago. However, making yourself a constant nuisance and bitching all the time about something at every opportunity is whole other thing that is not acceptable.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 26, 2016 1:04 PM

Feb 2013
grrrrrr i hate anime
anime fills me with anger
watching anime is literally pain
i feel the masochism
Mar 26, 2016 1:04 PM

Aug 2013
Well golly gee, i didn't realize it was winter again.
Mar 26, 2016 1:05 PM

Jun 2015
Those people can be very annoying. They just want to feel smart by hating an anime they think is bad. They are the types of people who will think you are dumb for giving a lot of high scores. There are barely any anime that i finished that i dont like because i only watch anime that i think i will like, and usually drop shows that i dont
Grimgar season 2 please!!!!
Mar 26, 2016 1:08 PM

Oct 2014
Because if you drop something people will that you can't talk about if you didn't finish it.
Mar 26, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 2013
Anime attracts weird and not very smart people. You shouldn't try to analyze their behaviour from your reasonable point of view.
Mar 26, 2016 1:09 PM

Mar 2016
Yea it's stupidity tbh. I just drop anime after 3-4 episodes if i don't like it and don't even care to rate it low because i am sure that it's not according to my likeness but some people out there might love it.
Mar 26, 2016 1:09 PM

Jun 2015
This just about sums up most of my experience in the Phantom World forums.
AltoRoarkMar 26, 2016 1:22 PM
Mar 26, 2016 1:12 PM

Feb 2014
... because I hate myself more than I hate the anime.
Mar 26, 2016 1:14 PM

Sep 2015
Hating something is fun. Enough said.

You just lost the game
Mar 26, 2016 1:17 PM

Mar 2016
_Yato_God said:
Yea it's stupidity tbh. I just drop anime after 3-4 episodes if i don't like it and don't even care to rate it low because i am sure that it's not according to my likeness but some people out there might love it.

I don't see how it's stupid, some shows start slow. If I dropped shows because the start was boring to me, I would have never finished S;G or Baccano and I loved both of those shows. Plus I'm a completionist, I don't like to drop shows period.
Mar 26, 2016 1:26 PM

Mar 2016
ThePyromaniac said:
_Yato_God said:

I don't see how it's stupid, some shows start slow. If I dropped shows because the start was boring to me, I would have never finished S;G or Baccano and I loved both of those shows. Plus I'm a completionist, I don't like to drop shows period.

S;G was slow i agree and i kept it on hold after watching 4 episodes but what i drop is animes like Bakemonogatari/FLCL which have a weird animation and are a pain to watch for me. So even if the story is good i cannot continue watching it.
Mar 26, 2016 1:48 PM
Feb 2014
Anyone who does this and only this needs to see an actual doctor.
Mar 26, 2016 2:10 PM

Jan 2015
RuneRocker said:

Maybe they are all Tsundere :3
Eventhough they say they hate it they secretly love it :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Mar 26, 2016 2:14 PM

Feb 2013
Sometimes hating anime is more fun then loving them. If they still enjoy watching it, then fine. What's more confusing is people who genuinely hate the act of watching a show and keep at it. Well, I'm a completionist, so I have no ground to stand on saying that...
Mar 26, 2016 3:20 PM

May 2015
Well, when I'm halfway through a series and start to hate it, I find that snarking or making fun of it tends to make the experience a lot less painful, as I am a completionist, a masochist, and an OCD autist. Although I never go into episode threads posting about how much I hate something...those users are cancerous and just want the attention.
Mar 26, 2016 4:42 PM

Mar 2016
I just force myself to watch ever single one if i really can't take it then i drop
Mar 26, 2016 4:46 PM
Sep 2011
Illyricus said:
If I hate an anime I am watching, I still finish it, because that gives me the credit to shit on it later every time I want.

^ If I'm going to do a review or critique of it, I like to be fully informed about it.

Also, criticizing a show is somehow invalidated by not having seen all of the show. But then if you have seen the whole thing "Why did you watch it if you didn't enjoy it?"

You can't win so you might as well do whatever you find fun or hilarious.
Mar 26, 2016 4:53 PM

Nov 2008
I think it's a big fat old waste of time. If I hate a show, I drop it. Unfortunately, I don't always realize I'm hating it as I watch it. I may only realize how much I hate it AFTER I finish it.

Mar 26, 2016 4:54 PM

Aug 2012
Forcing yourself to complete something you hate is a masochist thing to do. I'm not a masochist.

If an anime is hilariously bad then I'll watch it for the lols.
Mar 26, 2016 4:54 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
TitanAnteus said:

They're hilarious.

phantom world

all people do is shit on the show, where are all the people who rated it a 7 or higher? i feel like im
the only one who loves the show for what it is
Mar 26, 2016 4:57 PM

Nov 2008
Mamster-P said:
TitanAnteus said:

They're hilarious.

phantom world

all people do is shit on the show, where are all the people who rated it a 7 or higher? i feel like im

I like it. I've stopped rating anime though. XD Tired of people's shit.

Mar 26, 2016 4:58 PM
Jan 2016
The fun at least with watching something you hate is that you can always make fun of it or find something "its so bad its good" about it.

A lot of people dislike Casshern Sins for being boring but its one of my favorites : ).

Jul 2015
Mamster-P said:
TitanAnteus said:

They're hilarious.

phantom world

Same goes for SAO. It reeks of hypocrisy. Or is it some kind of phenomena.

Nov 2013
Hating is fun. Palpatine had the right idea.
Mar 26, 2016 5:00 PM

Sep 2014
You may watch it and enjoy it, but at the end you can open your eyes and realise how bad it is. This is what happened to me after SAO.
Mar 26, 2016 5:05 PM

Feb 2015
I don't hate Dragon Ball Super, but I really do think it's bad, yet I'll continue to watch it for several reasons:
-DBZ was my childhood. So I'm hoping to get some of that feeling I had with watching DBZ back again.
-Since it's so bad, I want to see how much worse it can get (it's kind of giving me that it's so bad it's good vibe).
-It's only 1 episode a week anyway. It doesn't take up more than 20 minutes of my time, so it's not like it's a massive time investment.
-Ranting about it on the forums is entertaining to me.
-It lets me appreciate other (better) anime more.
Mar 26, 2016 5:09 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@Chiibi

yea but all i see is "WTF KYOANI??? WHAT THE HELL WAS EPISODE 8???? THIS SHOW IS GARBAGE etc....

its like, it can't just be a fun show to people.... i mean, you can even argue its not a harem, so i don't see why ppl act as if it is lol

@Piromysl

with all SAO's popularity you NEVER see people defending it

its like ppl just can't accept shows for what they are, they always have to compare everything

@ColdBreeze

it would be interesting if it got darker, you know...... as long as they keep the fanservice xD
Mar 26, 2016 5:23 PM

Nov 2008
Mamster-P said:

with all SAO's popularity you NEVER see people defending it

Lol I defend it a lot.

As for Phantom and other shows that get a lot of hate, I kind of....decide to stay out of their forums on MAL......because I just get fed up arguing with people.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

21 by phantom346 »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

72 by LostSpectre »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

67 by Thanatos1 »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 5 hours ago

17 by Ratris_Decision »»
15 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

41 by TitanOfPlasma »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.