Forum Settings
Forums

Do you find manhwa more appealing than manga?

New
Do you find manhwa more appealing than a manga?
Mar 23, 2016 7:22 PM

Jun 2013
I was just looking around to some manhwa's and quite frankly some of them are better looking than a manga, like the set up world, the art and story and it seems like the writers have a better grasp (but it could be just me).

What do you think?
BenXBlack93May 24, 2016 6:17 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 23, 2016 10:00 PM

Dec 2013
i have only read one manhwa so I haven't noticed this.
May 10, 2016 3:52 PM

Feb 2015
manhwa/hua by miles. my main reasons are mostly based on what anime and manga are today (but mostly manga, since we're talking about books here). i'm not what people on here would regard as "an elitist", but ideas and themes do tend to get recycled or just straight up copy and pasted from one manga to another.

i quote on what i found from another site (it was from a thread back when SnK wasn't even heard of yet! but it still gets my point through).

(https://mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/manhwa-vs-manga.69054/)

scav said:
blai said:
I personally thing that while a lot of the popular Mangas has lost a lot of it's glory and has had it's story more or less, crushed, a lot of Manhwas has risen with a solid plot, good development, and interesting characters. Basically, the quality of the bigger mangas has decreased, while the quality of the bigger Manhwas has increased. That's why I think a lot of eyes has turned to the Korean Comic market. I also believe it has something to do with exploring, wanting to find new things. People always want new things whether it's a different brand of Cellphones or it's a different type of Comics. Manhwas and Mangas aren't that different per se, only the way you read them. Art differs from Manhwa to Manga just like it differs from Manhwa to Manhwa, or Manga to Manga. But, since the quality has increased (rapidly) lately on the Korean side it has become a more and more acceptable choice, or market to explore, if you may.

So, my opinion is that it's a combination of a decreasing quality in the top Manga market, an increasing quality in the top Manhwa market, a curiosity and an acceptance that wasn't there before. And most of all - availability. Because, if people who wants to explore find the Korean Comic market, read the Manhwas, and like them. Then obviously the word will start go around that Manhwas aren't that shabby after all and before you know it, a Manhwa section was found on MangaHelpers

i second that, the quality of mangas is decreasing. Atm almost every new serie that i pick is a manhwa. Im getting used of Mangas, almost every mangas that i try, i have that feeling of "deja vu". But im not saying manhwa are better that mangas, the country doesn't determine if a story is good or bad.Some Mangas are better than some manhwa and some manhwa are better than some mangas.To me its just atm in japan most of the authors are trying to make mangas suitable for shonen jump(so i find most of the popular mangas, a bit too childish and only focused on little kids: DGM, reborn, air gear etc....), or they're some serious seinen. I like more manhwa cuz i didn't read them alot in the past, so its something new for me. The art is different (noblesse, ares ) of what im used, and they add a comedy part in their seinen also they aren't too serious with some big wall of text.

i agree on this as well; by thinking/saying that "Oh it's from Japan/Korea/anywhere, it has to be good!" is silly.

however, i do find more manhwa/hua to have more different and interesting plots than the manga i read, but it would be stupid to say "That's because it came from Korea" and that's it.

it's the same as many have repeatedly said in the link - manga is more focused on popularity>quality and uniqueness.

but couldn't the same be said for webtoons, though? one could argue that since webtoon are read by 1 out of every 3 korean citizen, the same could be said for them.

with my experience, this doesn't happen. the manhwa/hua i read refuses to go the niche route. TOG has extreme "shounen" vibes and yet it's very different from any modern shounen. the gamer is a webtooned SAO but is so different the only likeliness is that they are both inside a game. (oh yeah and there's no harem, which automatically boosts the quality.)

then there's wonted, a story about a young man who leaves a terrorist group (the name of the webtoon also being the title of the group) for mysterious reason but the group is nowhere near done with him.
for those who don't care about major spoilers

and then there's hero (you ling), a story that starts off not too differently from spider/batman, but then perfectly spirals into delightful and unpredictable twists.

(and i'm not even getting into the art. it would take me forever to praise the art.)

there's a reason why the psy manga does have those classic animanga traits in its plot - because it's fairly common. so it's not like i'm making stuff up or grasping as straws.

i came to my first manhwa mainly out of curiosity and partly out of desperation and shame. i was new to manga and had declared i had a firm liking in it, but had read 1 or 2 of them at best. although noblesse is a far cry from manga, i'm certainly glad i stumbled upon it. it really opened doors for me and helped me understand how the US and japan are SORELY missing out on some serious cash. the webtoon franchise is a hundred-billion dollar business. put it into won, yen, and USD, and it's the same across the board. so not only are big comic and animation companies keep dodging this opportunity, they are also taking away a huge influx of fans, a fandom so huge i can hardly imagine what it could be.
TomDayJul 13, 2016 11:06 PM
May 22, 2016 2:02 PM

Feb 2015
@EpicShonenGuy

quite frankly some of them are better looking than a manga, like the set up world, the art and story and it seems like the writers have a better grasp (but it could be just me).

i have seen other manhwa/hua readers say virtually the same thing so you're not alone in this.

one of the best things about webtoons is that it can be diversified. webtoons is more of entering a world; this, of course, is sorely because of the internet and it's (seemingly) infinite abilities.
it can play BGM, SFX, audio, and apply flash animation, just for a few things. this adds more interest into the audience, as it tries to make up for the storytelling power manga has and the color art that comics have. and it work, in my opinion, perfectly. and the kicker is that it's barely been out for more than 30yrs and has such massive success in korea and the english internet.

and i can't stress enough that the stories greatly differ from manga as well. yes, yes, you can go on and on about the interesting storylines they bring - i'm not denying that. but that's like someone from cartoons telling you that it can be as serious as anime - which one wins overall?

it's just really unfotunate that such a great entertainment medium get almost wholly ignored internationally. naturally, manga would be dominating in terms of animation adaptions. that's not what needs to be changed. the view on webtoons, that's what needs to be changed. and when that happens, i predict that the adaptions will flood in at speed that will be hard to take in. after all, there hasn't been one person that talked about it that hasn't said that it doesn't have high potential.

but we still have to take into consideration that webtoons have only been out a short while (quite literally, it's not even 20yrs old) - and, considering its huge success a very short while - so i perfectly understand if it doesn't get noticed until around a decade from now. you must remember how long it took for manga to get mainstream.
TomDayJun 14, 2016 10:56 AM
May 22, 2016 2:10 PM

Feb 2011
mango a best
maniwani need not apply
May 22, 2016 2:12 PM

Jul 2012
appalling yeah :^)

All jokes aside, there's more "bad" manga than bad korean comics because there's more manga out there. But overall, I still pick manga.
May 23, 2016 4:20 AM

Apr 2013
Manga is better than Manhwa for sure.

But god tier Manhwa such as Ares beats the ever living shit out of most manga in existence.
May 23, 2016 5:21 AM

May 2010
Not really, both are appealing to me, good comic is a good comic, doesn't matter whether it's Japanese, Korean or Chinese. I read more manga, sure, but I wouldn't call that a preference.
May 23, 2016 1:14 PM
Apr 2009
Not really. It depends on the work.

But if I had to put my vote in it would be the Korean webtoons since they really maximize the potential of reading on a computer. When you scroll down sometimes it's like an animation sequence, which is pretty cool. They're such game changers.
May 24, 2016 12:27 PM

Feb 2015
hoopla123 said:

i beg to differ, my lady.

shayou said:

But if I had to put my vote in it would be the Korean webtoons since they really maximize the potential of reading on a computer. When you scroll down sometimes it's like an animation sequence, which is pretty cool. They're such game changers.

i can agree with the battles as well. they are sooooo much better scrolled down.

i always use this as my example:

as for work, manga tends to get recycled way too much. that's not that case for webtoons/manhua/hwa. as i said, you can't automatically judge from the country it's from, but you kinda lie if you claim that manga is mostly unique nowadays. now it's just for getting popular and less about story.
TomDayMay 24, 2016 12:45 PM
May 24, 2016 4:15 PM

Apr 2013
TomDay said:
hoopla123 said:

i beg to differ, my lady.

shayou said:

i can agree with the battles as well. they are sooooo much better scrolled down.

i always use this as my example:

as for work, manga tends to get recycled way too much. that's not that case for webtoons/manhua/hwa. as i said, you can't automatically judge from the country it's from, but you kinda lie if you claim that manga is mostly unique nowadays. now it's just for getting popular and less about story.

Except Noblesse is not even close to the quality that Nanatsu no Taizai puts out.
May 24, 2016 5:11 PM

Dec 2012
I think anybody who think that have a very small experience with both.

Manga is a much stronger medium, it's not even close. If we take personal preferences out of it, Manga is a lot more acclaimed, more relevant to it's country culture, explore more themes and motifs, more popular, etc
May 24, 2016 11:23 PM

Feb 2015
hoopla123 said:

Except Noblesse is not even close to the quality that Nanatsu no Taizai puts out.

it has very little to do with taizai or noblesse, but more on what their mediums are. taizai and noblesse are random examples. i could do the same for any other manga and manhwa/webtoon and the results wouldn't change. i'm not talking about actual quality per se. the fights aren't more awkward or smoother literally of the franchises they come from, but from the mediums they come from. reading like a reversed Z is a bit stunting to fighting rather than smoothly transitioning it downwards. after all, what do you do on your computer/phone? do you read in reversed Z, or do you scroll down?

i'm not alone in this. other people have said the same thing i'm proposing as well.

tsudecimo said:
I think anybody who think that have a very small experience with both.

Manga is a much stronger medium, it's not even close. If we take personal preferences out of it, Manga is a lot more acclaimed, more relevant to it's country culture, explore more themes and motifs, more popular, etc

you are more on point here, but as for exploring themes and such, manga has reached a writers block. the same content keeps getting pumped out, and it's very tiring. i have read recent manhwa/webtoons that are nothing like the average, recycled settings of manga.

and while while manga is definitely more popular, webtoons is nothing to sneeze at in its net worth either - it's actually worth hundreds of billions of dollars, nearing a trillion in just 5-6yrs.
TomDayMay 24, 2016 11:27 PM
Jun 2, 2016 6:41 PM
Jun 2015
i think that the manhwa are different in art style and storyline... most mangas are similar with their story but its still fun.
Jun 2, 2016 8:04 PM

Aug 2014
why does it matter?..... as long it interests me i read it..
TheDiabolicEsperJun 2, 2016 8:27 PM

Jun 3, 2016 8:08 PM

Feb 2015
TheDiabolicEsper said:

because the webtoon style is much different in terms of story than manga nowadays. seriously, i challenge anyone to find 5 modern shounens that are completely different of each other. they're all basically the same.
Jun 13, 2016 1:10 AM

Aug 2014
TomDay said:
TheDiabolicEsper said:

because the webtoon style is much different in terms of story than manga nowadays. seriously, i challenge anyone to find 5 modern shounens that are completely different of each other. they're all basically the same.

well i have'ent rly read much manhawa. to compare.. .. ;v

Jun 13, 2016 3:00 AM

Nov 2013
Not even close. There are only very few that are above average- good.
The rest is garbage.
Jun 13, 2016 8:16 AM

Jun 2013
The only manhwa I found appealing was Noblesse. I have nothing against manhwa and I'm not biased against it. It's just that I haven't found another manhwa that appealed to me.
Jun 13, 2016 1:08 PM

Feb 2015
TheDiabolicEsper said:

well i have'ent rly read much manhawa. to compare.. .. ;v

ah, sorry if i appeared to be making a sort of fight. i was just saying, if you are willing to be interested regardless of the source of it, then you should read webtoon. the stories are, the OP said, quite different from manga, especially nowadays.

Tomboy said:
The only manhwa I found appealing was Noblesse. I have nothing against manhwa and I'm not biased against it. It's just that I haven't found another manhwa that appealed to me.

i used to read noblesse and only noblesse, but, from half shame and half curiosity, i reached out for more. if you are open to any more webtoon i suggest tower of god. it's even more popular than noblesse, in fact it's THE most popular one, according to the website creator the webtoon is published at.
Jun 14, 2016 2:40 AM

Nov 2009
I like both. And every Manhwa I've read has been very high quality. For the most part though, I enjoy Manhwa because it's so f***ing refreshing. Manga gets pretty darn stale after awhile, especially in the quantities I consume. Yet every time I crack open a Manhwa it feels so fresh. I suppose its just getting a taste of a different culture.

But... The misogyny in Manhwa can be pretty stark. Are all the female characters "Ice Cold Bitches"? But it's not like typical Manga doesn't have its own pitfalls of clumsy-big-breasted-tsundere-loli-outspoken-red-heads.

I guess I've read a good bit of Manhwa before I even recognized the difference.
Rebirth
1/2 Prince
Ares
Magician
Veritas
Noblesse
Transfer student Storm bringer
Girls of the Wild
And most recently God of High school and The Gamer

I would not give any of these 10/10 masterpieces, but Veritas is one of my all time favorites that I re-read with frequency despite it's ending and The Gamer is soooo much fun that I read it first before One Piece when chapters come out. Thankfully I don't have to choose which is better, but when it comes to Manhwa the story is surprisingly good and if you've got a thing for full color than webtoons are where its at.
Jun 14, 2016 10:37 AM

Feb 2015
galeskies said:
I like both. And every Manhwa I've read has been very high quality. For the most part though, I enjoy Manhwa because it's so f***ing refreshing. Manga gets pretty darn stale after awhile, especially in the quantities I consume. Yet every time I crack open a Manhwa it feels so fresh.

indeed. webtoon has something special every time i read. i'm not debasing manga, but it doesn't take long to get bored of a manga, when iv'e seen it all before.

I suppose its just getting a taste of a different culture.

perhaps so, but i read a russian (or german?) "manga" before but it was freaking trash, lol.

But... The misogyny in Manhwa can be pretty stark. Are all the female characters "Ice Cold Bitches"? But it's not like typical Manga doesn't have its own pitfalls of clumsy-big-breasted-tsundere-loli-outspoken-red-heads.

what do you mean? i'm reading witch hunt atm (finally has a page on MAL! can't wait to edit it) and it's basically a platonic harem series. all of the girls are pretty impressive in there.
if this is rare in manhwa for you, i suggest you read that.

[quote but when it comes to Manhwa the story is surprisingly good and if you've got a thing for full color than webtoons are where its at.[/quote]

i think noblesse surprised me the most. it doesn't have much plot, but for the plot it has, it really is pulled out. the best arcs was

then there's lookism, which already looks so good and i'm not even on the third chapter. then there's ctrl + z, about the son of a psychopathic killer. argh so many interesting and new storylines...

and yes, them being in full color isn't half bad (although some like gosu and breaker new waves aren't) :P
Jun 14, 2016 10:39 AM

Mar 2014
Let's see

Is Oyasumi Punpun AKA the greatest comic of all time a manhwa?

No?

Thought so
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 14, 2016 10:44 AM

Feb 2015
rektmyd006, forgot about that one.
Jun 14, 2016 10:47 AM

Jul 2015
Ugh, I tried 2 or 3 but they just look so weird compared to manga, the way they are done doesn't appeal to me.

Atleast the name of the characters are usually short, so I can remember more names, not like with my usual anime or manga where I learn the name of the main girl and usually that's all xD
Jun 15, 2016 9:24 PM

Feb 2015
MetaThPr4h said:
Ugh, I tried 2 or 3 but they just look so weird compared to manga

just a question, did you feel this way when you read your very first manga? did you feel that it was strange when you couldn't read it like a book?
Jun 16, 2016 2:38 AM

Jul 2015
TomDay said:
MetaThPr4h said:
Ugh, I tried 2 or 3 but they just look so weird compared to manga

just a question, did you feel this way when you read your very first manga? did you feel that it was strange when you couldn't read it like a book?

I see where are you going and, while I can't remember the first time, I'm sure that I felt the same way about Manga than I did with Manwha lately.

If there is something that I definitively don't like is the... extra white space? not sure how to say it, between every frame there is so much empty space, I suppose that is made to have differences with manga, or just for their own style, but I don't really get to like how it looks and the extra scrolling between frames.

But I admit that I really prefer manwha for the way everything look inside the frames, also, maybe it was just coincidence, but all the ones I tried were on color, It's always like that? Because that's pretty cool.

Anyways, I don't think it's fair from my part to give an opinion about manwha and I feel bad for saying one before, I just haven't read enough of them to say something worthy.

Could you recommend me a relatively short finished manwha that you think it's nice, so I could give it a try? Also, maybe one that started few months ago or similar that you find good so I could follow while it's publishing, that way I will know more about this style to form a better opinion.
Jun 16, 2016 12:24 PM

Feb 2015
MetaThPr4h said:
If there is something that I definitively don't like is the... extra white space? not sure how to say it, between every frame there is so much empty space, I suppose that is made to have differences with manga, or just for their own style, but I don't really get to like how it looks and the extra scrolling between frames.

fact is, some of those "white spaces" (idk what to call them either lel) sometimes if you see a really long line of nothing but blank spaces it's really important to the plot; it can tell you if it means there is going to be a time change, and sometimes it can add more depth and interest to the story.

for my first point, here's an example.

for the latter, there's this.

Could you recommend me a relatively short finished manwha that you think it's nice, so I could give it a try? Also, maybe one that started few months ago or similar that you find good so I could follow while it's publishing, that way I will know more about this style to form a better opinion.

well first, i think i need to clarify somethings.

when people talk about how "manhwa has full color" or "manhwa seems weird to read down" or anything like that, they are actually referring to manhwa-webtoon.

this is a manhwa. it's read like how you would read a real comic:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/837/Kiss_Me_Princess

what i showed you before that is a manhwa-webtoon, just called webtoon (it's actually the official name of them).

secondly, i suggest you try the webtoon lucid dream. it's recent and has 9 chapters in total. i didn't read it all but the first chapter seems good. i give a lot of leeway for webtoon plot more than manga.

as for chapters a few months into the making...try greatest/ultimate outcast. it started in march and there's around 20+ chapters. but even for webtoon that started years ago you can catch up pretty fast, since chapters are usually short. for example i have started black haze which started in '14 and has over 130 chapters, but i'm already at around 104. by spending at least 45 minutes reading most webtoon, you can read up to at least 10-13 chapters.

anyway i'll stop blathering on here :P
TomDayJun 16, 2016 4:55 PM
Jun 16, 2016 2:34 PM

Jul 2015
TomDay said:

**Lots of nice stuff**

Hey! Thanks a lot for the answer, looks like I didn't understand a lot of the concepts, I totally needed that clarification.

I finished Lucid Dream right now and I have to say that it was awesome, fantastic short story, it's a shame that myanimelist doesn't have a way to add it (or other webtoons for what I see) to the list, I will just use a notepad file, I suppose that is because they are not published, like the OPM webcomic isn't there neither.

I will check out the other 2 you mention later, thank you again for taking your time explaining and for the recomendations!
Jun 16, 2016 5:15 PM

Feb 2015
@MetaThPr4h yea sure, nice to see you liked lucid.

and i had no idea OPM wasn't on here :o MAL's refusal to add webcomics almost all the time can be pretty annoying.
Jun 17, 2016 7:16 AM
Nov 2014
Manwha don't interest me, but from what I have seen the art looks descent
Jun 24, 2016 9:43 AM

Aug 2012
I like manhwa but I find the drawings in general much less beautiful than japanese manga (chinese mangas manw--? I forgot how it's called 0.0) mostly because I find them too static, the movement isn't as well represented than in mangas imo. Or the hair looks more "heavy" but flat or lifeless and again too static.

Just like I prefer mangas over manhwa, I prefer K-drama over J-drama, but I keep reading/ watching both x)
Jun 24, 2016 1:00 PM

Feb 2015
Amyltia said:
I like manhwa but I find the drawings in general much less beautiful than japanese manga (chinese mangas manw--?

manhua.

I forgot how it's called 0.0) mostly because I find them too static, the movement isn't as well represented than in mangas imo. Or the hair looks more "heavy" but flat or lifeless and again too static.

"static"?????? do you mean webtoon or manhwa?
Jun 24, 2016 8:31 PM

Jun 2010
Although I like both, to me, manga beats manhwa by a long shot. However, I think that manhwa are starting to get a little better. I mean, some of the big ones that I liked included Noblesse and Tower of God, but overall, manga still beats manhwa to me. I guess that's because there's a lot more manga?
TheBullDumpJun 24, 2016 8:34 PM
Jun 24, 2016 11:49 PM
Jan 2016
There's alot of good manhwa/webtoons out rn.

Terror Man
Dawn of the Frozen Wastelands
Siren's Lament ( better than alot of Japanese Romance stories )
Bastard
Revival Man
Jun 24, 2016 11:53 PM

Sep 2009
Discounting webtoons, kind of. A lot of manhwa have a lot more originality and don't seem to be bound by a lot of "tropes" and "stereotypes" that are probably demanded of manga. Webtoons, on the other hand, tend to contain much less originality.

It obviously depends on the manhwa, but now we're getting flooded with really crappy webtoons.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 24, 2016 11:58 PM
Jan 2016
Amyltia said:
I like manhwa but I find the drawings in general much less beautiful than japanese manga (chinese mangas manw--? I forgot how it's called 0.0) mostly because I find them too static, the movement isn't as well represented than in mangas imo. Or the hair looks more "heavy" but flat or lifeless and again too static.

Just like I prefer mangas over manhwa, I prefer K-drama over J-drama, but I keep reading/ watching both x)

Read Ecstasy Hearts it has better art than alot of manga and it's fully colored.

LaugastsJun 25, 2016 12:08 AM
Jun 25, 2016 12:41 AM
Sep 2015
Manga is more popular and numerous so it's harder to hide the dirt under the carpet like it did in the past and I admit that manhwa is at the moment more focused in terms of story and art, give it a few years though and some popularity and manhwa will be in the same predicament as manga is today.
Jun 26, 2016 2:57 PM

Aug 2012
TomDay said:
Amyltia said:
I like manhwa but I find the drawings in general much less beautiful than japanese manga (chinese mangas manw--?

manhua.

I forgot how it's called 0.0) mostly because I find them too static, the movement isn't as well represented than in mangas imo. Or the hair looks more "heavy" but flat or lifeless and again too static.

"static"?????? do you mean webtoon or manhwa?

Thank you!! It was frustating not to remember xD

I meant manhwa x) Ive never read a webtoon (didn't even know it existed...actually Ive read one that was very good but without knowing it was a webtoon I've just realized that thanks!!).
I'm talking only about manhwa :what I mean by static is more a feeling, that (it might just be me not enough used to manhwa) the art is beautiful, but its not as maybe "flowing" as in mangas. Like the effects of the wind are imo less well represented in general, that's really the best exemple I can give. Imo the graphic major difference is in the representation of the movement : a dress won't fly as easily as it would in most mangas, same with hair....they give me a feeling that they are more static and less flowing x)
To me it's kinda like they put so much effort and time on drawing X character, that their art is beautiful, but in general is more controlled (somehow) and so it looses the speed that mangas drawings give me! I think that's really how I see it!

Laugasts said:
Read Ecstasy Hearts it has better art than alot of manga and it's fully colored.

Its beautiful I have to admit x)
AmyltiaJun 26, 2016 3:52 PM
Jun 28, 2016 7:41 PM

Feb 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
Discounting webtoons, kind of. A lot of manhwa have a lot more originality and don't seem to be bound by a lot of "tropes" and "stereotypes" that are probably demanded of manga. Webtoons, on the other hand, tend to contain much less originality.

It obviously depends on the manhwa, but now we're getting flooded with really crappy webtoons.

mind to list at least 5 of them??? lol

Laugasts said:

YES. totally agreed. art in webtoon tend to be top notch but ecstasy hearts is something else, man. it literally looks like an anime as soon as you read it. even the comments have said that. the art in hearts is just...unbelievable.

TiaDee said:
Manga is more popular and numerous so it's harder to hide the dirt under the carpet like it did in the past and I admit that manhwa is at the moment more focused in terms of story and art, give it a few years though and some popularity and manhwa will be in the same predicament as manga is today.

that's what i'm scared of dude, but that won't be so, even if it can be, for a very long time. manga has been out in popularity ever since what? the 90's? webtoon is barely above 10 years old. it relies on the fact that it is different from the same boring old manga stories that are so common nowadays. it was unheard of back in the 90's-early 2000s for korean artists to stay in their country in order to get popularity of their comic stories. now it's possible and even better for them since their stories are so fresh and new.

Amyltia said:

Thank you!! It was frustating not to remember xD

yep.

I meant manhwa x) Ive never read a webtoon (didn't even know it existed...actually Ive read one that was very good but without knowing it was a webtoon I've just realized that thanks!!).

ahhh, ok then. i don't think i have read one book manhwa, so i can't really talk about how static it is or not. however, i do believe i can take your word on that, since that makes total sense.

i'd have to teach you a history lesson on exactly why manhwa(books) were so static, and how writers were quite literally forced to not have the freedom of content they can have with webtoon. if you'd like to know the backdrop on that, feel free to ask. but it's not static how manga chooses to be nowadays. that's as much as i can say on that before i ramble on.

I'm talking only about manhwa :what I mean by static is more a feeling, that (it might just be me not enough used to manhwa) the art is beautiful, but its not as maybe "flowing" as in mangas. Like the effects of the wind are imo less well represented in general, that's really the best exemple I can give. Imo the graphic major difference is in the representation of the movement : a dress won't fly as easily as it would in most mangas, same with hair....they give me a feeling that they are more static and less flowing x)
To me it's kinda like they put so much effort and time on drawing X character, that their art is beautiful, but in general is more controlled (somehow) and so it looses the speed that mangas drawings give me! I think that's really how I see it!

as i said, this requires a history lesson to fully explain just how you feel (and rightly, at that) about manhwa. it was a pretty hard time back then.
TomDayJul 17, 2016 12:29 AM
Jun 28, 2016 7:57 PM

Dec 2009
"Who cares" ... but what I like is they have their gems that are slightly different in a unique way for some manga.

Basically different unique good stories.
Jun 28, 2016 8:25 PM

Feb 2015
waalex11 said:

manga stopped being unique around 2 years ago, at the very least. and i would argue that your "slightly different" comment is very sadly mistaken.

VoTheBookWorm said:
I mean, some of the big ones that I liked included Noblesse and Tower of God, but overall, manga still beats manhwa to me. I guess that's because there's a lot more manga?

more manga doesn't necessarily better. i can't speak for all generations of manga, but this generation, bluntly speaking, stinks. there is next to nothing to get excited about with this generation's/season's/whatever's stories. it's all about getting popular, not expressing how an artist wants to tell a story. it's not an art anymore. it's just art.
TomDayJun 28, 2016 8:33 PM
Jun 28, 2016 8:41 PM

Dec 2009
TomDay said:
waalex11 said:

manga stopped being unique around 2 years ago, at the very least. and i would argue that your "slightly different" comment is very sadly mistaken.

Focus on the "Basically". I'll correct myself and say they're different but I'm not sure to what extent as I haven't read that much (around 10+) but they are visibly quite different in story/art/style. So. Yeah. They are different.

Although I wouldn't know about manga being less or stopped being unique 2 years ago. I rarely pick up new manga when they start. I just find them based on my taste.

... I noticed you only put one manga that you're reading on your list. Makes me curious around how many you can remember that you read.
Jun 28, 2016 10:11 PM

Jun 2010
TomDay said:
waalex11 said:

VoTheBookWorm said:
I mean, some of the big ones that I liked included Noblesse and Tower of God, but overall, manga still beats manhwa to me. I guess that's because there's a lot more manga?

more manga doesn't necessarily better. i can't speak for all generations of manga, but this generation, bluntly speaking, stinks. there is next to nothing to get excited about with this generation's/season's/whatever's stories. it's all about getting popular, not expressing how an artist wants to tell a story. it's not an art anymore. it's just art.

I didn't exactly mean to say that more makes better. It's just that I think I haven't been exposed to enough manwha to be completely sure about why I like manga better. After all, I've haven't been exposed to many manwha except for some big ones (including online webtoon). I've read some, but I don't think I've read enough of them, so I was just like "I guess that's because there's a lot more manga?" since I'm not too sure. I don't know any more particularly good manwhas to start at either. Since there's less of them, I don't know where find more of them to really know them.

Oh, really? Hmm, well, that's your opinion so it's fine, although now that I think about, I do have to agree that I've been seeing more manga become kind of...generic, since I've read enough of them. But then, I also mostly choose and continue the manga that I actually do really like from my tastes.
TheBullDumpJun 28, 2016 11:17 PM
Jun 28, 2016 11:17 PM

Sep 2009
TomDay said:
MortalMelancholy said:

mind to list at least 5 of them??? lol

5 crappy or 5 unique? lmao
Uh, 5 that had originality that seemed quite distinct (at the very least, at the time of creation) from what you normally find in manga:
Shin Angyo Onshi
Id - The Greatest Fusion Fantasy
Witch Hunter
Knight Run
Dice

5 Particularly crappy ones:
Freezing and everything else by that author, along with all of the porn shet that's getting translated by the same people (I swear there's at least 50 of them; people have too much time on their hands =/)
The Gamer
Breaker New Waves
Noblesse
Jun 28, 2016 11:17 PM

Feb 2015
waalex11 said:

Focus on the "Basically". I'll correct myself and say they're different but I'm not sure to what extent as I haven't read that much (around 10+) but they are visibly quite different in story/art/style.

i have been reading up on manga recently but most of them are around 2 or 3yrs old, if not recently. so yeah i understand that.

So. Yeah. They are different.

i meant in storywise. they are entirely different in that.

... I noticed you only put one manga that you're reading on your list. Makes me curious around how many you can remember that you read.

if you bothered to go to my profile at all you would also come across that i don't want to or even care to put my lists on it. i'm not here for that. it's like, right in the spoiler, lol.

I didn't exactly mean to say that more makes better. It's just that I think I haven't been exposed to enough manhua to be completely sure about why I like manga better. After all, I've haven't been exposed to many manhua except for some big ones (including online webtoon). I've read some, but I don't think I've read enough of them, so I was just like "I guess that's because there's a lot more manga?" since I'm not too sure. I don't know any more particularly good manhuas to start at either. Since there's less of them, I don't know where find more of them to really know them.

you say "manhua" a lot here, do you mean chinese webcomics instead?

Oh, really? Hmm, well, that's your opinion so it's fine, although now that I think about, I do have to agree that I've been seeing more manga become kind of...generic, since I've read enough of them. But then, I also mostly choose and continue the manga that I actually do really like from my tastes.

i've tried manga plotlines outside of my tastes and they are still horribly generic. the only genre i can tell you will all honesty that changes is seinen, and that's only if the story doesn't automatically have nudity from the early chapters just because it's mature.

comedy manga would really have to be the freshest manga since no-one's idea of comedy is all the same, and it's safe to explore and have freedom with it.
Jun 28, 2016 11:24 PM

Dec 2009
@TomDay Oh okay. I like their style as it brings a different style based on their culture. It's just obviously pretty different from the Japanese style of manga stories. A story is a story and they both have great ones.
Jun 28, 2016 11:26 PM

Feb 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

Shin Angyo Onshi
Witch Hunter
Knight Run
Dice

what the heck is this "witch hunter" stuff?? it always comes up first before witch hunt but i have next to no idea what it is. it's not directed at you, but i just keep seeing it....

[5 Particularly crappy ones:
Freezing and everything else by that author, along with all of the porn shet that's getting translated by the same people (I swear there's at least 50 of them; people have too much time on their hands =/)
The Gamer
Breaker New Waves
Noblesse

ahh, so this is mostly opinion throwing instead of actual facts.

naruto is factually bad by all accounts; it's not an opinion. there is nothing factually bad on all accounts of those series, and it'd be really retarded for me to blare out "Shut up think like me" so yeah, whatevs i guess.

waalex11 said:
It's just obviously pretty different from the Japanese style of manga stories. A story is a story and they both have great ones.

once again, i'm not saying manga is a vast pot of emptiness of plot. i'm just saying it's more common to get a better plot (AND story, since those are different) from webtoon than manga nowadays. but i get what you're saying.
Jun 28, 2016 11:29 PM

Sep 2009
TomDay said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Shin Angyo Onshi
Witch Hunter
Knight Run
Dice

what the heck is this "witch hunter" stuff?? it always comes up first before witch hunt but i have next to no idea what it is. it's not directed at you, but i just keep seeing it....

[5 Particularly crappy ones:
The Gamer
Breaker New Waves
Noblesse

ahh, so this is mostly opinion throwing instead of actual facts.

naruto is factually bad by all accounts; it's not an opinion. there is nothing factually bad on all accounts of those series, and it'd be really retarded for me to blare out "Shut up think like me" so yeah, whatever i guess.

So you're telling me that Naruto is "factually" bad based on your opinions? Okay, sure.
I can explain to you why the ones I mentioned were bad, if you're at all interested. I've never read the manga, but the quality of the Naruto anime did reach some incredibly low points, and I can't say it was "bad" through and through.
Jun 28, 2016 11:31 PM

Dec 2009
TomDay said:
once again, i'm not saying manga is a vast pot of emptiness of plot. i'm just saying it's more common to get a better plot (AND story, since those are different) from webtoon than manga nowadays. but i get what you're saying.
Oh. Well, I wasn't implying that but okay. I understand. I gotta admit though I wouldn't know about "nowadays" since I don't read the recent manga/manwha.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1054 by Francis_0 »»
4 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
Yesterday, 1:50 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.