Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
So what are your take on the English voice casting?
Mar 22, 2016 11:20 PM
Feb 2016
I don't know why I'd even kept my fingers crossed for the English dub. Since we all know how the english cast sounds and how their voices don't suit the kuroshitsuji characters... AT ALL! Was it too naive of me to think they'd at least learn from their mistakes and get decent voice actors who can actually get into their roles?

Sigh..

As I was watching the first two episodes, I was trying so hard not to be so critical before finishing the episodes. However they took the K-nife & consistently kept butchering the whole show with their fugly voice acting! How can I possibly watch the rest of the show with a straight face after that? (no pun intended)

So the VA's aren't English you say?

Then get rid of the phony accents. I don't care if they're English or not. The Japanese cast did just fine without it. Seriously, their clowning didn't amuse me one bit. The accents sounded so unnatural, that it came off as plain tacky.

Also why dump unnecessary sentences into characters?

This is a big deal because people judge characters by what they say and do. Even the slightest words impact people's view of these characters. Some of them weren't in the manga and it wasn't in the English Subs either. How they managed to make the main leads sound so pretentious is beyond me.

It's a nightmare I tell you!

Ciel sounds like an obnoxious woman, Sebastian sounds like he's Ciel's grandpa on crack, Undertaker (grandpa no.2) sounds like a high-pitched pirate, Joker's voice is a f******* joke, Beast's coughing fit, Meyrin still sounds like a murder of crows, Finny and Dagger doesn't even sound like their age suggests them to be, don't even get me started with Snake's voice, Bard and Peter is okay I guess despite the latter having a few seconds of screentime...

Ugh.. It's like a gross parody. Funimation did a piss poor job with the English dubs this time too. It ruins the mood for the dark victorian elements of the show that it had tried so hard to set up. But if you don't believe me, watch it in English dubs & tell me that I'm wrong! I Dare You..

PS. No offense to those who likes the VAs. I was just trying to convey the fact that their voices doesn't suit their roles is all.
StarsOfRustMar 22, 2016 11:25 PM
'I feel about as warm and happy as a potato in a hotpot'
Kaneki Ken
Mar 22, 2016 11:22 PM

Jul 2012
out of all the anime, why are you watching dubs for kuroshitsuji when they have fucking ono daisuke and maaya sakamoto in their casts?!
Mar 22, 2016 11:33 PM
Feb 2016
Mayuka said:
out of all the anime, why are you watching dubs for kuroshitsuji when they have fucking ono daisuke and maaya sakamoto in their casts?!

The same reason I watched season 2. 😫 Curiosity kills the cat. No, you're right! I'm done with English dubs for Kuroshitsuji..
Kaneki Ken
Apr 22, 2016 9:59 PM

Jan 2015
The only thing I've ever really found distracting about the dub, especially for this season, is the fact that some of the VAs drift in and out of accents quite bit. I found it super noticeable with Vic Mignogna, and I will admit Joker couldn't decide whether or not he had a cockney accent or an Irish accent. Aside from that I thought it was pretty standard, the original dub never bothered me that much. :/
May 2, 2016 3:46 PM

Jun 2015
Honestly, I think they did a good job with this. The script is very on point and the acting is solid, even if their accents aren't perfect.
May 13, 2016 5:55 PM
Feb 2016
AltoRoark said:
Honestly, I think they did a good job with this. The script is very on point and the acting is solid, even if their accents aren't perfect.

The acting was no where near perfect and if you had watched it in subs you'd have known that they changed the dialogues around and put some more unnecessary ones and overall it gave off a different vibe from the characters and not in a good way. Speaking of which, have you watched it in subs?
Kaneki Ken
May 13, 2016 6:50 PM

Feb 2016
This is why you should try to accept the fact that you're a complete weeb and stick to subbed. That's the only way to understand Japanese.
May 13, 2016 11:32 PM
Feb 2016
Exhalant said:
This is why you should try to accept the fact that you're a complete weeb and stick to subbed. That's the only way to understand Japanese.

I don't think I'll be learning Japanese any time soon. Although, I usually do prefer watching anime in English dubs, I simply can't ignore how horrible the English voice acting was. Normally, I switch to dubs if I find their voice acting good. BTW, I watched both subs and again watched the first two episodes in dubs.

Have you even watched the show in subs I wonder?

You must be someone who actually liked the dubs despite it's cringe-worthy flaws. I've already mentioned in my post above that I meant no offense and this is just my own opinion.
Kaneki Ken
May 15, 2016 8:13 AM

Jun 2015
StarsOfRust said:
AltoRoark said:

The acting was no where near perfect and if you had watched it in subs you'd have known that they changed the dialogues around and put some more unnecessary ones and overall it gave off a different vibe from the characters and not in a good way. Speaking of which, have you watched it in subs?

Yes I have watched it subbed. Do you really think keeping the exact same lines would make it better? A 1 on 1 script is rarely a good thing when it comes to dubs. Changes are necessary. They need to have it make sense for English.
May 15, 2016 10:26 AM
Feb 2016
AltoRoark said:
StarsOfRust said:

Yes I have watched it subbed. Do you really think keeping the exact same lines would make it better? A 1 on 1 script is rarely a good thing when it comes to dubs. Changes are necessary. They need to have it make sense for English.

I agree. But some dialogues were really not necessary. They could've done without them. It changes one's perspective of a character.
Kaneki Ken
Aug 3, 2016 1:39 PM

Jul 2013
I waited ages for the dub of this season and I really like it tbh. I liked the dub of the first two seasons too and I don't mind them doing English accents and I am English although Joker's odd Irish/sorta sometimes cockney accent was odd.

I love Sebastian's voice tbh, it's hot in the dub <3
Aug 23, 2016 1:53 AM
Feb 2016
stephtastrophe said:
I waited ages for the dub of this season and I really like it tbh. I liked the dub of the first two seasons too and I don't mind them doing English accents and I am English although Joker's odd Irish/sorta sometimes cockney accent was odd.

I love Sebastian's voice tbh, it's hot in the dub <3

I simply can't argue with your preference. And I still standby my opinion that the dub wasn't so great. Btw.. The first two seasons and the first episode of K:BOC aren't canon.
Kaneki Ken
Aug 23, 2016 2:09 AM

Jul 2016
It must be really bad then, I'm glad I watched it subbed.
Rainbow is amazing for the sole fact that all the chapters are in alphabetical order.

Aug 27, 2016 8:40 AM

Jul 2013
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, if you didn't like it then you didn't, just watch it subbed then lol.

To me, being English though, watching a show set in England, watching it in Japanese just makes no sense to me lol. I know people in England in those times who were English like they are meant to be didn't speak Japanese all the time lol. I know it's a Japanese anime though so ofc it will originally be in Japanese.

I've seen worse dubs, I watched Free! subbed and only watched a minute of it dubbed and couldn't stand Haru's voice, he sounded like an annoying surfer bum.

Isn't BOC set after season 1? as season 2 wasn't from the manga.
stephtastropheAug 27, 2016 8:53 AM
Aug 29, 2016 3:48 AM

Mar 2016
I think the OP has a point to a certain extent, but overstates the case dramatically.

I hadn't listened to the original Japanese VA's because I don't understand Japanese, and find it distracting to try to read subtitles while following the characters directly, as well as observing the "background" of the scene.

But I gave it a try; while I didn't do a line-by-line comparison of every single episode, I did do back-to-back viewing of select episodes, first in the original Japanese, then in the English dub.

IMO, The English VA's, with a few notable exceptions, did a wonderful job of capturing the characters; and where they IMO failed, I do NOT blame the English VA's, but rather the director for choosing a particular "voice" for the character in the first place.

For example, I think that the English VA Jason Liebrecht did a very good job overall as Finnian, in capturing Finny's regressed childlike innocence and sweet nature. However, the incredibly high-pitched piping voice just grates on my nerves like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Likewise, Daniel Frederick is very good as Grell Sutcliff; the performance would have been outstanding if it hadn't been quite so over-the-top and outlandish. Just a bit of restraint could have, would have, taken Grell from being an annoyingly bad punch line of a tired "swish" homosexual stereotype to something much less blatantly offensive and more nuanced and, well, realistic. (if I can even use that term without bending the Iron-y-Meter into a pretzel!) w/o losing an ounce of effect along the way.

With regards to Book of Circus, Joker deliberately had two distinct voices: the plain or "Cockney" accent was his real voice; the Irish brogue was his "stage" or "in-character" voice; this is confirmed outright by the director and voice actress in the commentary.

And perhaps my hearing isn't quite what it used to be (or perhaps it was never all that good to begin with), but I thought that the English VA's stayed "in-voice" and "in-character" with the consummate ease expected of professional VA's.

As far as the English dialogue diverging from the original Japanese, I will reiterate that I have NOT done a line-by-line comparison of each and every episode. I did however note one subtle difference in S1E2, when we are introduced to Grell Sutcliff.

After basically destroying Ciel's breakfast, Grell pulls out a rather large knife and offers to atone by committing suicide. In the original Japanese, Mae-Rin merely wonders/asks rather calmly where that knife came from, as in, "Where in the hell was he hiding that?" And this is an interesting foreshadowing of Mae-Rin's capabilities that most first-time viewers will completely miss.

In the English dub, Mae-Rins asks, somewhat nervously, if they should try to take the knife away from Grell.

This subtly alters the scene from the original, but not in a way that substantially affects the overall story.

I would like to hear from the OP of other specific instances where the English dub changed meaning/context of the original Japanese dialogue, by altering, adding to, or subtracting from the original lines.
I am the one you warned me of.
Sep 11, 2016 9:55 AM
Feb 2016
stephtastrophe said:

Isn't BOC set after season 1? as season 2 wasn't from the manga.

Season 2 was so ghastly and non-canon that no one takes it seriously. And yes BOC is set right after the curry arc.

But season 1 by itself is still a piss-poor adaptation to its manga counterparts, considering how the anime creators slaughtered all the characters, important plot points, interesting scenes, engaging dialogues and fed them to the crows.

And beacause of that, anime-only watchers didn't even get introduced to a character that will undoubtedly become important in the future(canon stuff).

Instead, yall got anime-original filler in the first episode of BOC. Lol. Although I liked the anime filler, the way the queen's letter ended up in Ciel's pocket in the manga trumps it.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic here.

stephtastrophe said:

To me, being English though, watching a show set in England, watching it in Japanese just makes no sense to me lol. I know people in England in those times who were English like they are meant to be didn't speak Japanese all the time lol. I know it's a Japanese anime though so ofc it will originally be in Japanese.

So you say, but wait till they adapt a certain arc for which the voice actors *SPOILERS* will have to-

-SING!

Pfft ha ha ha ha! Seriously I look forward to the english voice actors pulling off that one. I'm sure they'll just blow me away. (~" u ")~

Ash_DuQuennes said:

This subtly alters the scene from the original, but not in a way that substantially affects the overall story.

But the overall impression of the characters become quite different in the eyes of a dub-viewer. Also notice how some dialogues often foreshadows certain things that ought to happen in the future. Dub-viewers will definately miss out on little things like this that makes this show all the more intriguing.
StarsOfRustSep 11, 2016 10:24 AM
Kaneki Ken
Sep 11, 2016 12:39 PM

Jul 2013
I liked season 2, the plot was interesting, it was better than I thought it would be as everyone says it's terrible.

Well ... I am going to read more of the manga so I don't know what was changed in the anime.

I can imagine the dub voice actors would be quite good at singing, especially Sebastian ... singing whilst putting on an accept is not so hard to do.

I don't see why any impression of characters would change because you watch it in a certain language tbh. The characters are still the same.
stephtastropheSep 11, 2016 1:08 PM
Sep 16, 2016 6:07 AM
Jun 2013
If the cast is the same from the previous season im expecting great work as they did a wonderful job in the other seasons.
Dec 31, 2017 11:19 PM

Nov 2014
I am watching a dub right now, and it is alright.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2014

146 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

130 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

97 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

78 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

92 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.