Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2016 6:58 PM

Feb 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The movie was alright and didn't really wow me. The pacing during the beginning felt really weird, and idk why Yohko couldn't have just gone home in the very beginning. The action wasn't bad though. The guys with eyes on their heads were pretty creepy! 6-7/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2016 3:27 AM

Dec 2015
This regular "lost in a parallel world" fantasy coming-of-age story featured a weird and original mecha-design along nice 80s chara-design. The numerous action scenes were great thanks to an excellent camera/animation work.
Highly entertaining. (5/5)

Bonus: Tsuru Hiromi and Ikeda Shûichi who play respectively the heroine and the villain are among my favourite anime voices.

7/10
No wonder this OAV (who was the second of its kind) was later screened in theaters. It makes for a good movie.

@St0rmblade Pretty sure it was a consideration about OAVs, since I watched it while going forwards with early OAVs. (Maybe my memory fails me, but that's how I read me.)

PS: always nice to see you watch OAVs and films form that era.
Rei_IIIDec 6, 2021 11:58 AM
Nov 15, 2016 10:19 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I was surprised how good this was. Outside of some silly bikini mail this is a solid kids fantasy flick. Some really great animation moments, impressive sounding music, cool designs for the time.
Mar 26, 2017 1:42 PM

Oct 2014
6.30!? seriously this anime is really underrated. I got Castle in the sky vibes.
Jun 20, 2017 1:54 PM

Jul 2014
I found this anime only thanks to one internet radio and I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before.

One of the best soundtracks in the 80s era, very good animation (not the best from this era, but really high quality), good story and characters. Yet, it seems no one knows about it.

Cnon said:
6.30!? seriously this anime is really underrated. I got Castle in the sky vibes.

It's 6.27 now. It's lower than Hundred (master of clichés) or Masou Gakuen HxH (censored hentai).

I know it might sound pessimistic but somehow I'm not even surprised.
Jun 20, 2017 2:24 PM

Oct 2014
mozgow said:
I found this anime only thanks to one internet radio and I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before.

One of the best soundtracks in the 80s era, very good animation (not the best from this era, but really high quality), good story and characters. Yet, it seems no one knows about it.

Cnon said:

It's 6.27 now. It's lower than Hundred (master of clichés) or Masou Gakuen HxH (censored hentai).

I know it might sound pessimistic but somehow I'm not even surprised.

yeah probably because it's not ecchi or moe.
May 20, 2018 5:12 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Wow, this has gotta be one of the earliest isekai anime ever made! There could be others made earlier than this(?) but this is the earliest one I've seen, and this OVA was also released before I was born in this world! :P

I liked the beginning and I was invested at the start. Although, the execution of the story felt a bit lackluster as there are only a few interesting moments that didn't keep me excited. The action scenes were a little stale.. Still, it was already good on its own and I really like the character designs of the two female characters. They're both cute and sexy, hehe. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 3, 2019 6:04 PM

Aug 2015
I expected trash, but instead I was impressed with what I watched. We got classy music, great animation and a fantasy world that they bothered to put some whimsical animals into. This must be the second oldest isekai I've seen if you count Dunbine as an isekai.

I liked it, and it had good writing for a short running time.
Aug 26, 2019 7:22 PM

Jun 2014
This was good fun. I'd known about this for years, and I've finally watched it.

Great art, great soundtrack, and a great little adventure.

I own the LP soundtrack, and now I finally know what it sounds like, lol.
_-_Sally_-_Aug 26, 2019 7:26 PM

Feb 14, 2021 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
This is probably doomed to be lost in the sands of time, but it's an overall solid adventure movie that seems to foreshadow some of the later popularity of both magical girl and isekai subgenre.

The animation is certainly good for the 1980s, towards the higher-end of the OVA spectrum for the time, and there's a solid use of music as well. Not quite at the level of, say, Bubbegum Crisis, but it works well with what it has. Suffers a little from its fairly short runtimes, and the front half of the movie relies a little too heavily on serendipity to drive the plot, but not unforgivably so. A few sequences, particularly those in Yohko's final showdown, are exceptionally well-animated.
Dec 4, 2021 1:27 PM

Aug 2017
Kei Tomiyama as a dog (whose name Yohko knows for no reason at all) threw me off guard for sure. As for the villain's voice, Kaneto Shiozawa probably would've worked well too with such an androgynous design (it's a type of villain he seems to have played frequently). Though I guess Ikeda was necessary for the beach scene with a Char clone x)

Also, that moment when Yoni was trying to break a force shield by shooting it right behind Yohko xD What if it actually broke
Rei_III said:

No wonder this OAV (who was the second of its kind) was later screened in theaters. It makes a good movie.

What was the first one "of its kind"? You mean the isekai-type story?
Dec 5, 2021 5:33 AM

Jul 2014
St0rmblade said:
What was the first one "of its kind"? You mean the isekai-type story?
I think it's Seisenshi Dunbine.
Jul 22, 2022 11:56 AM
Mar 2021
Yeah, the man behind Mobile Suit Gundam is also the father of Isekai.

As for Leda, I found myself pleasantly surprised by it. The artstyle was really neat and surprisingly high-quality, the story was good and there was some good music in it (as can be expected from an 80s anime tbh - but that's just personal bias).

The only issue I had with the movie was the sometimes weak dialogue, but it was still a really solid watch for when you have an hour to spare.

7,5/10
May 15, 2023 4:02 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Did you guys see this anime in the newly released 4k format ?

May 15, 2023 9:36 AM

Jul 2014
ryo-san said:
Did you guys see this anime in the newly released 4k format ?
I wouldn't say "newly released" (2019 was 4 years ago) but I did a rewatch with this new version. And it was great :-)
Nov 9, 2023 7:01 AM

Oct 2018
There's so many parts with interesting use of colors and 2D background animation all over the movie... I love it. The whole script could have been tightened around the 40-45 min mark, there's a lot of shots which are just camera pans and could have been cut.
Nov 30, 2023 7:03 PM
May 2017
Regardless of the story being simple. It was a great experience; I love the animation, art style and the atmosphere. The voice acting wasn't too dramatic and lines weren't too cheesy. I recommend this to anyone seeking to watch 80s gem.

More topics from this board

» Guys, watch this, this is really great old school isekai anime.

Kleferi - Feb 21, 2018

5 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Mar 12, 2021 12:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.