Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 22, 2016 4:28 AM

Jul 2013
_Esper_ said:
Lap1 said:
In fact no, it's the main story that fix what is going to be character development, and the main story is about the last timeline, it's the story's events that provides character development belonging to the story,.

Kiritsugu, fate zero tells the story of a battle royal, midway you see his past, let's say he himself is having that flashback of his past, if having that flashback make him change his way of thinking then it's character development, otherwise it's informative flashback thus backstory thus the current story wasn't responsible for those changes so there is no character development given to him by the current story.
But if you take kiritsugu, his story is way more than just the battle royal and there within his own story you have his every character developments.
Dont go comparing Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica with Fate Zero, this two is completely different. Homura is very similar to Okabe in most of the part. The only thing that make them different is the "story telling".

It's a fairly plausible comparison though. He's comparing how their backstories work the same not both shows.

Jun 2013
_Esper_ said:
Lap1 said:
Whats the matter? The comparison works just fine, backstory is backstory, the problem with steins gate is that the mc is the one who is timetraveling so everything is going smoothly and i don't remember any backstories in sg anyway.
It seem that you dont get my point. In your opinion, does Okabe develop in the story?

Yea he does, all events that made it so happened as the time flows.

Does tsundere-chan having been beaten when she was a child counts as character development? No, because it didn't happen as the story was developping.
But doesn't that flashback develop her character? Yes it does, indeed.
Seeing the trick?

that's why the development of a character is separated into chatacterisation and chara dev'
character development = how the dude is transformed by current events.= present-futur
characterisation= how he was at the start of the show + character developments.=past-present

madoka isn't told so you see homura becoming emo, it would be a regression and regression isn't the point of the story.
The point is to have homura recover, the story shows you her going from emo to relieved, but they still give you the why she was emo before breaking that state.
So in that way her going emo in her flashback cannot be considered as part of her development in the story.

There is character development given by the story
and there is his whole character development aka the character whole story.
But seems like character development is about the one given by the story.

PS: don't start the story however you want.
Lap1Mar 22, 2016 4:31 AM

Mar 2015
You said:
_Esper_ said:
It seem that you dont get my point. In your opinion, does Okabe develop in the story?

Well I see you're comparing Homu with Okarin XD
IMO they both undergo a similar problems the exception is just that Homu is probably undergo it longer since she's already looks like so extremely desensitized.

The difference between both is that Steins;Gate offers a straightforward episode, while PMMM used it as a backstory to make the audience more "surprised". I'd say both characters have the same depth as a character and both are well-developed character.
YAY!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone.. at last. xD

The show is very similar to each other. If we start Steins;Gate in episode 20, and tell the rest (EP01-EP19 for example) as "backstory", the level of similarity is almost 90% (ignore this figure).

The things that different in this two shows is "How the author tell you the story"

@Lap1 If Okabe count as a develop character, why Homura is not?
EsperMar 22, 2016 5:55 AM
This salad is salty favored
Mar 22, 2016 4:41 AM

Apr 2015
_Esper_ said:
You said:

Well I see you're comparing Homu with Okarin XD
IMO they both undergo a similar problems the exception is just that Homu is probably undergo it longer since she's already looks like so extremely desensitized.

The difference between both is that Steins;Gate offers a straightforward episode, while PMMM used it as a backstory to make the audience more "surprised". I'd say both characters have the same depth as a character and both are well-developed character.
YAY!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone.. at last. xD

The show is very similar to each other. If we start Steins;Gate in episode 20, and tell the rest (EP01-EP19 for example) as "backstory", the level of similarity is almost 90% (ignore this figure).

The only different thing in this two shows is "How the author tell you the story"

@Lap1 If Okabe count as a develop character, why Homura is not?

This whole discussion can be simplified by:
"Is backstory counts as a character development?"

My answer: YES!! Backstory took part of 33% of making the depth of a character!
Mar 22, 2016 6:38 AM

Aug 2014
This is how I see it:
Characterization is who a character is.
Character Growth is who a character becomes.
Character Development is how a character becomes that.
Mar 22, 2016 6:39 AM

Apr 2015
AllenNoah said:
This is how I see it:
Characterization is who a character is.
Character Growth is who a character becomes.
Character Development is how a character becomes that.

Agreeable, and as for me, an in-depth character needs all 3 of them.
Mar 22, 2016 7:09 AM

May 2015
Malarkey said:
another butthurt anti-elitist thread

Asking for clarification of definitions, and discussing them, is important in good discussions.

Anyone who does that gets intelligence points.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 22, 2016 7:16 AM

Oct 2014
a good example for character development would be Tsunemori Akane imo. idk, a ''good'' development for me is when a character was super scared and annoying at the beginning, but later starts being more self confident and more believes in him-/herself, which brings twists and so on in the anime. i think without that kind of development anime and manga would be way more boring than it is now and an anime often fails in the category ''characters'' for me, because there isnt any considerable development.
Mar 22, 2016 10:11 AM

Aug 2015
Character development is when a character is significantly defined with their own set of emotions, way of thinking, unique relationships with other characters and not just fit into the tropes they have been modelled from.

IMO the character changing throughout the course of a story cannot solely be called character development, the character has to be initially laid bare in front of the viewer/reader for the changes to have any significant effect.

Goes the other way too, a well developed character is not one that changes throughout the course of the story.

That's the reason why people keep adding Hachiman Hikigaya to their favourites, because he was extremely well defined at the start of the OreGairu series and his change in the way he looks at life slowly makes sense to the viewer.
You've done nothing but spout meaningless prattle. - Yukino Yukinoshita.
Mar 22, 2016 12:52 PM

Mar 2014
I think that many people confuse the terms 'character development' and 'character change'. Granted, the latter is somewhat rarer (in regards to how often people use the term; it is very common in fiction), and perhaps most people don't realise how often they come across it.

In order to illustrate my points, I am going to put a couple of things in spoiler tags. Both of them are for the series Death Note.

Essentially, character development is where a character develops over time. Maybe they start out being relaxed and happy, but throughout the story, for various reasons, they become colder, paranoid and more angry. This will not happen overnight; as the story develops so, too, will the character.

Character change is much more sudden. Something happens, and a character immediately becomes different. In Death Note, Light's opinion of the note changes rapidly; he is shocked and confused but almost immediately realises how useful/essential the note is. A song from the musical illustrated this perfectly.

Character development is very hard to write well (as are most things). A lot of characters change but don't develop. Good character development is subtle but noticeable when one compares point A to point B.
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Mar 22, 2016 2:46 PM

Mar 2016
What is ''character development'' me?
I think it would be the grownt of a character over the time both:power-wise and emotional-wise, and a bit of characterization

Mar 22, 2016 2:56 PM
Jan 2016
I chose 'Other'. I agree, a character developing throughout the series definitely IS character development, but there are also some circumstances where a character doesn't necessarily have to undergo some dramatic transformation. I think it also counts as character development if it's shown how the character came to be that way. So they don't really have to change from beginning to end... It's mostly just... fleshing out the character. Describing who they are and WHY they are who they are. (That's how I see it, anyway.)
Mar 22, 2016 3:24 PM

May 2015
You said:

how? what if it's a complete shit backstory? Fairy Tail has a backstory for all of their characters.. and theyre all awful
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 22, 2016 6:12 PM

Feb 2011
Johnny Joestar

------------------------
Mar 22, 2016 6:17 PM

Apr 2015
Malarkey said:
You said:

how? what if it's a complete shit backstory? Fairy Tail has a backstory for all of their characters.. and theyre all awful
I can consider it as a fail one, tbh it isn't that hard to create a proper backstory.
Mar 22, 2016 6:35 PM

Jul 2013
Malarkey said:
You said:

Erza's backstory was good though and the Tower of Heaven arc was decent in general save for the obvious asspulls at the end.
Mar 22, 2016 7:53 PM

Feb 2016
Character development =/= Character growth

Character development is the process of making the character more developed, doesn't matter if they change or not, it matters if they have personality, reasons, history, morality, whatever.

Character growth is when a character changes in some way over the course of the story and learns something, becomes a different person, etc.

You can easily have one without the other. EX 1: Light was a pretty well developed character, but he resisted any change to his ideals. EX 2: Kirito is not a well developed char (gamer good at gaming yay), but he learned to real life while gaming.

There are def better examples/ less arguable ones, but this way everyone can prob see what I mean.
Mar 22, 2016 11:35 PM

Mar 2016
Here's some character "development" for ya
Mar 23, 2016 1:42 AM

May 2015
OtakuKvothe said:
Character development is when a character is significantly defined with their own set of emotions, way of thinking, unique relationships with other characters and not just fit into the tropes they have been modelled from.

IMO the character changing throughout the course of a story cannot solely be called character development, the character has to be initially laid bare in front of the viewer/reader for the changes to have any significant effect.

Goes the other way too, a well developed character is not one that changes throughout the course of the story.

That's the reason why people keep adding Hachiman Hikigaya to their favourites, because he was extremely well defined at the start of the OreGairu series and his change in the way he looks at life slowly makes sense to the viewer.

Posts like these make me happy. Thread is glorious.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

49 by BatoKusanagi »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

23 by Atmogenic »»
4 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

48 by BatoKusanagi »»
19 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

45 by aanj1n »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

38 by BatoKusanagi »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.