Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2016 3:02 PM

Jan 2015
All the good and unique anime are getting the finger nowadays in sales. Death Parade R.I.P...:( So why do Harem and the likes sell better is my question.
MrKai23Mar 19, 2016 3:12 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 19, 2016 3:03 PM

Jul 2011
Oh, i wasn't aware of that, you learn new stuff everyday.
Mar 19, 2016 3:06 PM
Jan 2015
Can you at least give us statistics?
My Queens

Mar 19, 2016 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
Praland said:
Oh, i wasn't aware of that, you learn new stuff everyday.

This is surely a vast world.
OT- give some examples so that ppl can argue.
Mar 19, 2016 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
Death Parade didn't have good sales? That's news to me. Given, I don't check DVD/BD sales on anime at all unless I hear about them on an anime news site, I don't see the point (i'm not japanese, nor do I necessarily care as much about what the JP public thinks of the anime I watch) in the first place.

Well, it certainly had a new and weird concept, but all the same, the art was well done as was each segment, finding out how each individual died, and the feelings onscreen. The last part was beautifully told HOW I WANT TO REVEAL SPOILERS TO DESCRIBE MY FEELS, I cried my eyes out. I will say the reason why I can imagine some people wouldn't buy it is that it's not a common concept, nor does it have a 'normal' art style either, but that's actually sad to hear.
Mar 19, 2016 3:12 PM

Jul 2015
Redline was a good movie imo but it didn't sell.

I like Garden of words but I'm not sure how well it sold.
Mar 19, 2016 3:14 PM

May 2015
-Mahesvara said:
Yeah, I'll need those too, as far as I know Makoto Shinkai's works are selling quite well so let's not say all good anime sell terribly.
Mar 19, 2016 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
>Harem and the likes
Again vague examples. If you are talking abt the bd sales of the generic harems, they are not good.
Mar 19, 2016 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
Death Parade was not good tho.
It was like average at the best.

The only really good thing going for it is the animation.
And well,the openings is great,but that is not really pro.
Mar 19, 2016 3:20 PM

Apr 2014

Because the internet exists, people stream aime instead of buying it.
Mar 19, 2016 3:21 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
lol........ "good" anime.......

assuming you mean "non generic"..... some anime are just more popular in the west than in japan, death parade didn't do well in japan

and its kinda hard work to make a show thats not generic to some degree, so if you fuck it up, well you wasted all that effort lol
Mar 19, 2016 3:22 PM

Jan 2009
only otakus that have jobs mostly buy those expensive discs so they rather buy it on what they like but sadly its hard to make an anime that will sell well, the shows you consider good is not the same as the otaku buyers standard for being good, if they happen to know the magic formula for making a hit anime every time then im sure they will always make it, take for example Attack on Titan, its a huge success disc wise and that is why they are making a similar anime called Kanaberi that will air and hopefully be bought by otakus, same when Sword Art Online was a huge disc sales success there are a lot of rip-offs of it later but not all of the similar story like it become a huge success, so they are just a lot of time guessing or riding the success of another anime to hopefully make profit from otaku disc buyers

teenage otakus mostly buys merchandises like posters, pillows, key chains, and any other cheap anime related products and sometimes they can buy the manga or light novel to boost it sales more
Mar 19, 2016 3:23 PM

Jul 2012
MrKai23 said:
All the good and unique anime are getting the finger nowadays in sales. Death Parade R.I.P...:( So why do Harem and the likes sell better is my question.

At least in Death parades case one of the reasons is that it was a late night show. Which generally get lower ratings, advertising, hype, etc. But that being said roughly 1000 volumes sold for the first volume, and pretty consistent sales for the following sections is decent when compared to some other series.
Generally speaking for the topic overall though it's a matter of the types of shows people enjoy based on region. Just because it's liked in the west doesn't mean the Japan will share the same enjoyment.
Mar 19, 2016 3:23 PM

Apr 2015
*Sigh*

What do you mean by "good" anime anyway? There are different opinions in this world.

However, regarding the other question. Harems make alot of money because males make up the majority of the anime community. Most men like girls boobs and asses. What do harems have? All 3 of those.

Also, why the specific focus on Death Parade, pray tell? O.o
Mar 19, 2016 3:24 PM

Jun 2015
You need to rephrase your whole post.

"Why don't the anime I personally like get more sales?"
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Mar 19, 2016 3:24 PM

Apr 2014
Not enough moe-moe to push them sales.
Mar 19, 2016 3:25 PM

Jun 2012
There is an evil conspiracy being perpetrated by the NHK!
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 19, 2016 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
katsaroulhs said:

Duuuh.

He obviously won't go calling anime he does not like good,right?
Mar 19, 2016 3:29 PM

Jan 2015
Relinquished- said:
*Sigh*

What do you mean by "good" anime anyway? There are different opinions in this world.

However, regarding the other question. Harems make alot of money because males make up the majority of the anime community. Most men like girls boobs and asses. What do harems have? All 3 of those.

Also, why the specific focus on Death Parade, pray tell? O.o
I'm a male and like girls, boobs and asses but I still could care less for those types of anime.

Don't objectify men<3
Mar 19, 2016 3:30 PM

Aug 2015
because most people watch anime to be entertained....noone gives a shit about being elite
Mar 19, 2016 3:32 PM
Jul 2018
MrKai23 said:
I'm a male and like girls, boobs and asses but I still could care less for those types of anime.

Well,having nudity or fanservice does not render anime worthless in itself.
Good example would be Monogatari series,but that is Nisio is being Nisio.

Jan 2015
katsaroulhs said:

Nah. Not everything is subjective. There are GOOD anime. Well written, good animation etc. Just NOT your type.

Feb 2013
sometimes an anime can be still be successful because of good ratings

see this post, where you can see that Hajime no Ippo, Kaiji, and Tokyo Magnitude 8 in particular had good ratings, second seasons and all that, despite not having high sales
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1361735&show=100#msg41252137

and it's certainly possible Death Parade is in a similar situation

xaos12 said:
>Harem and the likes
Again vague examples. If you are talking abt the bd sales of the generic harems, they are not good.
eh.. it's not like death parade is a tough barrier; rakudai and asterisk are the poster children for generic harem and outsold it

and everyone who says only harem/moe sell obviously havent seen the statistics >_>' a good percentage of the 10000+ sellers of '15 are shounens (or shounenlike like fsn and opm) and fujobait

Nov 2012
JoJo SC, OPM, Owarimonogatari, Gochiusa, Oregairu and Haikyuu all sold over 10k in 2015 so I don't understandd what you are talking about OP.
Mar 19, 2016 3:33 PM

Mar 2015
harem doesn't sell well FFS. WTF?
just take a look from last season harem-ish show.
> rakudai 3K
> asterisk 2K
> taimadou <1K
> shinmai maou s2 3K
> heavy object 1K
> shomin sample 1K
> utawarerumono false face no data
> lance 'n masque no data
> ushio to tora 2K

funny enough death parade (also 1 K) sell much better than most of them. the only harem that sell well this year (2015, well, fall 2015 selling their disk in 2016 technicaly) is only 3. so stop your high horse and face reality. your shows don't sell because it's not worthy of japanese money.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 19, 2016 3:35 PM

Sep 2014
-Mahesvara said:

I agree to this. @MrKai23 before posting what was your basis? Personal Opinion? Or heard it from other people?
Mar 19, 2016 3:37 PM

Feb 2013
Xeraeulius said:
-Mahesvara said:

I agree to this. @MrKai23 before posting what was your basis? Personal Opinion? Or heard it from other people?
http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view this site should be common knowledge
Mar 19, 2016 3:38 PM

Jul 2011

> rakudai 3K
> asterisk 2K
> taimadou <1K
> shinmai maou s2 3K
> heavy object 1K
> shomin sample 1K
> ushio to tora 2K

funny enough death parade (also 1 K) sell much better than most of them. the only harem that sell well this year (2015, well, fall 2015 selling their disk in 2016 technicaly) is only 3. so stop your high horse and face reality. your shows don't sell because it's not worthy of japanese money.

Oh look, statistics, the thing that all the threads of this kind never have
PralandMar 19, 2016 3:41 PM
Mar 19, 2016 3:41 PM
Aug 2015
Maybe your idea of bad anime is actually good anime, and thats why its selling more. I personaly like harem anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2016 3:46 PM

Feb 2016
Here is a good site which report the sales :

http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view
French viewer. Sorry for my bad english :) !
Mar 19, 2016 3:47 PM

May 2015
Plenty of good anime from last year had great sales. Like @SuperRed said, stuff like One Punch Man, Kekkai Sensen, Haikyuu!, Jojo sold very well.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Mar 19, 2016 4:14 PM

Aug 2014
Kuma said:
> rakudai 3K
> asterisk 2K
> taimadou <1K
> shinmai maou s2 3K
> heavy object 1K
> shomin sample 1K
> ushio to tora 2K

How dare you use logic to make OPs point invalid? But yes, OP, what you said is bs. What good anime are you talking about in the first place?
Mar 19, 2016 4:25 PM

Mar 2015
Snappynator said:
Kuma said:
> rakudai 3K
> asterisk 2K
> taimadou <1K
> shinmai maou s2 3K
> heavy object 1K
> shomin sample 1K
> ushio to tora 2K

How dare you use logic to make OPs point invalid? But yes, OP, what you said is bs. What good anime are you talking about in the first place?
it's not only to OP but also answer to everyone that blaming harem/school/ecchi/shounen/fujoshi ETC when thier favorite shows is not sell. stop bitching and face reality. my favorites shows in fall is concrette revolution. it's sells bad and i aknowladge the reason. not blaming the market or another anime.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 19, 2016 4:29 PM

Oct 2013
Does anybody in this site actually care about this industry in the first place?

All I give a shit about is the annual top selling manga list which I interpret as 'most popular mangas of 20xx' so I could see which series I may wanna read.
Mar 19, 2016 4:30 PM

Aug 2014
Harem shows are just safe as they will get a few K guaranteed but are rarely super successful. If they are very successful it'll because there are unique elements to them like monogatari.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 19, 2016 4:30 PM

Aug 2014
Also sales=/= second season. Arlsan is getting a season 2 and I can't even remember if the BDs even ranked. RIP rokka and probably by extention perriot tho ;_;

Mar 19, 2016 4:32 PM

Dec 2011
Do you have anything to back this claim up? lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2016 4:37 PM

Aug 2014
CrappyGod-sama said:
There is an evil conspiracy being perpetrated by the NHK!

Watching that show atm and it's so good.

Mar 19, 2016 4:47 PM

Jul 2015
Kuma said:
Snappynator said:
it's not only to OP but also answer to everyone that blaming harem/school/ecchi/shounen/fujoshi ETC when thier favorite shows is not sell. stop bitching and face reality. my favorites shows in fall is concrette revolution. it's sells bad and i aknowladge the reason. not blaming the market or another anime.

How come harem/ecchi anime is so abundant if the sales looks like this?

I suppose it's a merchandise-heavy type of genre and I guess there will always be a niche for this stuff, is that it?
Mar 19, 2016 4:48 PM
Jul 2018
Good anime isn't selling? No, my friend...

Good anime isn't being made. Period.
Mar 19, 2016 4:49 PM

Aug 2014
Wensbane said:

They literally just made more psycho pass last year.

Mar 19, 2016 4:49 PM

Oct 2013
Harem series doesn't sell a lot. Most of their sales are below average or mediocre at best. If we are talking about blu ray disc/dvd sales. I don't follow light novel sales so I can't comment on that.
Mar 19, 2016 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
black1blade said:
Wensbane said:

If it's as good as Psycho Pass 2 they can shove it up their...

I mean they can keep it.
Mar 19, 2016 4:53 PM

Jun 2015
Wensbane said:
black1blade said:

If it's as good as Psycho Pass 2 they can shove it up their...

I mean they can keep it.
Psycho Pass' movie is also depressingly bad, but it has Kougami so fangirls were happy about it.
Mar 19, 2016 4:59 PM

Jan 2015
Because some fans is blinded by fanservice to open up they eyes to real good anime :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

May 2015
I didnt know that DP had low sales in Japan but it definitely impacted the west reaching the top 100 so quickly and all
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Jul 2018
Lordwen said:
Psycho Pass' movie is also depressingly bad, but it has Kougami so fangirls were happy about it.

That's why I haven't watched it yet. I know it's going to make me extra salty and I don't need that right now.
Mar 19, 2016 5:00 PM

Aug 2014
It's not bad, just not as good as S1. S2 is basically totally redundant because it was written to fit in between the movie and s1 so might as well not be cannon.

Mar 19, 2016 5:01 PM

Feb 2013
BlueBalls said:
Kuma said:

How come harem/ecchi anime is so abundant if the sales looks like this?

I suppose it's a merchandise-heavy type of genre and I guess there will always be a niche for this stuff, is that it?
a) no they aren't (seriously, have you ever looked at a seasonal chart? >_>')
b) presumably cheaper to make
c) le ad for le source material face though this goes for most every adaptation
and yeah merchandise obv..

Kuma said:
Snappynator said:
have you noticed how ConRevo, Death Parade and Yuri Kuma Arashi are all very close to 1k? for some reason i think there's a big overlap between the buyers
Mar 19, 2016 5:01 PM

Aug 2014
But yeah it doesn't really do as much new with the franchise as I had hoped it would. Also highly recommend the dub as the engrish in the jap dub is fucking shit.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 10 hours ago

43 by traed »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

17 by LostSpectre »»
25 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

40 by traed »»
36 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

176 by ISeeLifePeople »»
41 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

89 by FanofAction »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.