Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 29, 2012 8:04 AM

Nov 2011
I hope Mello doesn't come and save him D=.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Sep 29, 2012 5:00 PM

Sep 2012
Light is clever but will this get rid of N and Mellow?
Nov 20, 2012 12:46 AM

May 2012
LOL N's in trouble O_O
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2013 11:31 AM

Jan 2013
N will die in the next episode, just saying.
Apr 24, 2013 4:35 AM

Feb 2013
How did Near know about the rules of the Death Note? Mello just told him that one of the rules is fake.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
May 9, 2013 12:53 AM

Oct 2012
surferrosa said:
Mashui said:
Go Kira Go!! Im kinda hoping all 3 of them die in the end, then Matsuda takes over the Japanese Police or smthn like that.

This. LOL.

It's L, OL XD
Go for Matsuda!

vhynz22 said:
How did Near know about the rules of the Death Note? Mello just told him that one of the rules is fake.

Well, I was wondering that.
Maybe they skipped something in anime?
"Signature removed"
Sep 22, 2013 11:26 PM
Feb 2010
Ray_Light said:
surferrosa said:
Mashui said:
Go Kira Go!! Im kinda hoping all 3 of them die in the end, then Matsuda takes over the Japanese Police or smthn like that.

This. LOL.

It's L, OL XD
Go for Matsuda!

vhynz22 said:

Well, I was wondering that.
Maybe they skipped something in anime?

No it was in this episode, when Near was sitting down using some kind of cards (maybe Tarot cards XD) to organize his thoughts trying to figure out which rule, he was just thinking logically about all the rules of the death note and by using the process of elimination,he thought that things like "heart attacks" + " manipulating the way of death" have already been tested so it's true and can't be fake
also that rule that said "if the death note is destroyed,burn..etc all those who touched it or use will die' can't be proved because the death note still exists
so the only rule left is the one of "13 days"
and that what Light has to say to Near when he asked him about his opinion XD
Nov 26, 2013 9:37 AM

Jul 2013
I love how all these episodes are so fast, it feels like they're 5 minutes long! Everything happens so quickly! :D I like this pace, and that it's not just mind games like it used to be during first 25 episodes, they're fighting for real.
Dec 17, 2013 1:44 AM

Jan 2013
vhynz said:
I see the replies were not clear. It's simple: Everyone knew about the rules, the rules were leaked to Near and Mello already when they started to go against Kira. Only thing they didn't know about that there might be fake rules in it.

(Edit: I misspelled Near's name xD)
ao_no_exoDec 17, 2013 2:23 AM
Jan 27, 2014 11:04 PM

Oct 2013
doubt the spk is actual inside that building
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 20, 2014 12:48 PM

May 2013
Kopanda said:
The more the series develops the more I find myself loving Kira. I want him to win as much as he does. GO KIRA!

This! :D
Apr 20, 2014 6:34 PM

Jun 2009
I have to admit, this episode was a lot better than the couple past ones. I really hope that from now on the episodes keep getting better, not worse.
Jun 22, 2014 1:06 PM

Jun 2014
L better come back in the end somehow.

ok probably not but i cant stand light and i want L back!!
Jul 14, 2014 12:57 PM

Jul 2013
Mello's scar on his face is like Wo Fat from Hawaii Five 0. I thought he was dead! D:

Near and Mello are awesome! Near is so smart!

What will Light do now??
Sep 11, 2014 11:01 AM

Aug 2014
I actually like Near. He's just so calm and likable character.
Sep 23, 2014 6:57 AM

Jan 2014
Kopanda said:
The more the series develops the more I find myself loving Kira. I want him to win as much as he does. GO KIRA!
Agreed. But I think it will also be kinda cool if Matsuda catches him in the end :)
Sep 24, 2014 12:25 PM

Jun 2014
Mello told Near that there were false rules, but he didn't tell him which ones. nor did he explain what all of the rules were. maybe he went into full detail in the manga, and the anime skipped past that part? otherwise, there was no way for Near to reach his conclusions.

also, when Near was talking to Light, and asked if he could talk to the shinigami...that would have been impossible anyway, without Near touching the notebook, or a page from it. and yet, he seemed to hear what Ryuk was saying, when Light asked Ryuk a question.

there are several inconsistencies in this episode...and really everything since L's death.
Sep 25, 2014 10:56 AM

Nov 2013
razamataz said:
Mello told Near that there were false rules, but he didn't tell him which ones. nor did he explain what all of the rules were. maybe he went into full detail in the manga, and the anime skipped past that part? otherwise, there was no way for Near to reach his conclusions.
Actually it was explained adequately in the episode.
The first four rules that deal with killing people are already true since the Death Note's power is real.
The rule about tearing it up or burning it needs to be tested, but since Mello didn't burn the notebook to verify this rule he can't claim that it's a false rule.
That leaves only one rule, the 13 day rule. If there's at least one rule that is fake, this would be the obvious choice from Near's position.

razamataz said:
also, when Near was talking to Light, and asked if he could talk to the shinigami...that would have been impossible anyway, without Near touching the notebook, or a page from it. and yet, he seemed to hear what Ryuk was saying, when Light asked Ryuk a question.
No he did not hear Ryuk. Light asked Ryuk and made Near hear the question on purpose. Near only heard Light's question but never heard Ryuk's answer. However, if Light is in fact Kira then it would be a possibility that he told the Shinigami to lie in front of the other investigators who can see him to protect himself.

In short no he didn't hear anything, he just deduced stuff.

razamataz said:
there are several inconsistencies in this episode...and really everything since L's death.
Nope. There are no such things.
Sep 26, 2014 5:31 AM

Jun 2014
well, I brought up facts, based on my perspective. you have brought up your facts, based on your perspective. I would rather not argue over it. I've enjoyed the series enough to watch it twice, so...yeah. I think most people would agree that the series went downhill after L's death.

it is a case of power corrupting, and absolute power corrupting absolutely. initially, like most, I admired Light. signs of his corruption didn't take long to show, however. I wanted Light to lose, but...the writers could have done a better job with that. that is my complaint. I know I'm not the only one that believes that a different writer took over the project, after L's death.
Sep 26, 2014 8:11 AM

Nov 2013
Except you provided 0 facts from the anime/manga.
First answer I gave you is literally spelled out in both the manga and anime.
Second one is pretty obvious for anyone that actually watched the show.

Just because a lot of people agree that DN went downhill (which most of the time the reason is because their favorite character died, and not because of plotholes, inconsistencies, etc...) after L died does not make you right nor does it count as "presenting facts."

And no, the mangaka is the same for both arcs.
Sep 27, 2014 3:04 PM

Jun 2014
I didn't feel a need to argue, Botato, but since you wouldn’t let it go, I decided I would play along. I've gone back and rewatched episodes 26-30, just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Anything past episode 30 is irrelevant to my initial comment. I should also say that at the time of my initial comment, I was in a very frustrated state of mind, which I then allowed myself to get a little carried away in my rant.

Anyway, all of that said, here we go. I have compiled a list of facts from episodes 26-30 that were essential to my initial rant.

- After L's death, Light took on the identity of L.
- The Yotsuba group was killed by Kira.
- Through their own means of investigation, both Near and Mello learned about the existence of the Death Note.
- The director of the japanese NPA, Kanichi Takimura, was kidnapped by Mello, in an attempt to gain possession of the Death
Note.
- Kira killed Takimura, to avoid the ransom.
- Mello realized that Kira had some sort of connection with the japanese police.
- Mello captured Sayu Yagami, as a new bargaining chip for his ransom.
- Light reached out to the FBI for assistance, in order to save Sayu. Light was introduced to Near, who would call himself "N" and call Light "L #2" - explaining that he was already aware that the real L was already dead. Near would then explain that he was with a group called the SPK, and that America and the FBI no longer had faith in "L".
- Mello and the mafia gained possession of the death note.
- Mello killed the majority of the FBI/SPK members that were helping Near.
- "N" reaches out to "L" for cooperation, sharing his information on Mello.
- Mello learned about the fake rules from the shinigami, Sidoh.
- Light discovered the location of the mafia members in control of the Death Note, with the help of Misa's eyes.
- "Kira" contacted the japanese task force, with an offer that would help them regain control of the Death Note.
- Soichiro Yagami learned the true name of Mello, because he took the eye deal from Ryuk.
- Light regained possession of the Death Note, then returned it to Sidoh. This left two Death Notes still in use in the world of humans.
- The mafia members that were supporting Mello were killed.

At this point, only Light and Mello knew the truth about the rules of the Death Note.

- With Mello's true name exposed to the japanese task force, he went to Near, to confiscate the only photo of himself, knowing that Kira still needs to see a face, in order to kill someone. He offered some information about the Death Note, to return the favor.

HERE ARE THE ONLY DETAILS OF THE DEATH NOTE THAT MELLO GIVES TO NEAR:

- The Death Note belongs to a Shinigami.
- Whoever touches the Death Note is able to see the Shinigami.
- The Death Note Mello obtained might have belonged to Kira beforehand.
- Some of the rules written inside were actually fake.

THAT IS ALL MELLO SHARED WITH NEAR.

After Mello leaves, Near begins reflecting on this information. He concludes that the fake rule is the 13 day rule.

My problem with this, as I stated in my first comment, was that Mello had no previous knowledge of the rules of the Death Note. Only two previous interactions with Light and his team were shown, prior to Mello's visit. I have stated what those were, above, and what information was shared.

Therefore, Mello reached an impossible conclusion, with information he should not have had yet.

If he had called Light, before reaching his conclusion, and asked about the rules, it would have been different.

BotatoPriest said:
Actually it was explained adequately in the episode.
The first four rules that deal with killing people are already true since the Death Note's power is real.
The rule about tearing it up or burning it needs to be tested, but since Mello didn't burn the notebook to verify this rule he can't claim that it's a false rule.
That leaves only one rule, the 13 day rule. If there's at least one rule that is fake, this would be the obvious choice from Near's position.

No, in fact, it was not explained adequately. The only remotely plausible way Near could have reached his conclusion, was by the audience being forced to assume or imagine that Light shared details about the rules of the notebook to N at some point not shown in the anime.

My other point was that it would have been impossible for Near to talk to Ryuk anyway, when Near made that request. I understand that he was only asking, because he suspected that Kira was part of the japanese task force. It was a trap. But at the time, I was just blown away by Near's impossible conclusion, just moments before... So I noticed something else that would have been impossible, and decided to include it in my rant.

Now, at this point, I will gladly admit that you were right to correct me about Near not hearing Ryuk. That said, I did not explicitly declare that he did hear him. I was wrong to include that, though, I admit.
Sep 28, 2014 5:50 AM

Nov 2013
I may have read your original post wrong. I was only referring to Near's thought process and how he came to the conclusion, which was pretty straight forward. I misunderstood your point and thought you meant that Near's conclusion was unlikely (even if he had knowledge of the rules).

Now the only problem is how does Near know the rules; I didn't address this point. Let's see, after the police handed the notebook over to Mello's mafia, Mello used it to kill the majority of the SPK members. Immediately afterwards, Near contacts Light and asks him that they (both teams) share information. Later on, during the Ryuk scene, Light said that he didn't share the info on the existence of Shinigami at the beginning, which implies that they DID both share information, it's only fair.

The only information Light's team can provide that Near doesn't already know are the nature of the DN and its rules, the existence of Shinigami, and that Light was a suspect. Light provided an excuse for not sharing the Shinigami one, and the one about Light being a suspect is definitely not a good thing to reveal especially right after Near tells him that the FBI no longer trusts the second L; telling them that he was a suspect previously will only make things worse. That only leaves the info about the rules and the DN in general.

Now granted it was not shown that Light shared what he knows about the DN in the anime. Fair enough, it seems I got both the manga and anime confused I admit that. So yes you are correct, though if you want my opinion it was hinted at enough at least and that would be just a nitpick. Especially considering DN did this sort of thing throughout the entire show; as in only hinting at stuff but not outright stating them.

If you are interested, here's the scene in the manga:
From chapter 66 pages 13 and 14

razamataz said:
Now, at this point, I will gladly admit that you were right to correct me about Near not hearing Ryuk. That said, I did not explicitly declare that he did hear him. I was wrong to include that, though, I admit.
It's cool man.
I think I have overreacted and my post came off as offensive, so I apologize for that.
Oct 10, 2014 4:59 PM

Oct 2013
Every time I see Mello eating chocolate, I wanna smack him. Every time Light says "I win," I want to smack him.

I disagree with the people who say the plot is worse after L's death - I don't think it is. The only thing I think is worse is the characters. Light is far less likeable now than previously. I like Near, but he's just a poverty version of L. Mello is straight up irritating as fuck. Hell, even Light's dad lost his flair after L's death.

As much as I'm still enjoying the show, its looking to be a 7/10 series, 8/10 at best, being episodes 2 through 16 were the only amazing episodes in the series.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 16, 2014 5:12 PM

Mar 2014
At this point I don't even care how the series ends. I've invested so much time, though. It would be a shame to quit less than ten episodes to the end.
Mar 24, 2015 5:26 PM

Dec 2014
Light gets motivated by the growing public support and henceforth getting himself closer to the surface with or without realizing. It'd be very effective if Mello agreed to cooperate with Near, but that'd be Mello swallowing his own pride at this point so it's understandable he didn't. It was best for him to do that exchange with Near. With all of his gang down I wonder what Mello will do next. But now if Near/SPK survives this somehow it's very bad news for Light.

Also, with that scar Mello at least looks like a man now...

Btw: Light directly thought of a way to reject the idea and rejected it so; but assuming that's all there is to Near's proposal, it shouldn't be impossible to actually make use of it. Allow Near to kill Mello, and 13 days later kill Near using Misa. Only thing Light has to do is to stipulate that Near uses the notebook under observation of the Japanese police and find a way out to ensure that Near doesn't hide his face during that (granted, that's the biggest obstacle in this) so that Misa can see it. Having seen both his face and name (via eyes of Death God), subsequently Misa to kills him using a piece of paper from her own notebook when the time comes.
NozdrefMar 25, 2015 2:10 PM

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Apr 27, 2015 5:07 AM
Nov 2014
Take that Near xD, I hope Light kill his annoying ass soon.
Jun 10, 2015 7:43 AM

Jul 2014
"Leave me alone, or I'll write your names on the Internet!"

4/5
Aug 16, 2015 7:53 PM
Jan 2015
Near is SURE Light is Kira now, his life never was in so much risk.

I'm beginning to really, really,really hate Light, and that fucking TV director. What is happening in this world.....is madness.
Oct 10, 2015 1:19 PM

Mar 2010
I still don't know why the original L did't ask help from N from the start.. Perhaps they were to young, but even then they would have helped a shit load.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 7, 2015 1:11 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Near > Mello, imo!

5/5
Nov 12, 2015 4:43 PM

Nov 2014
Great episode, I wonder if Near will get out of this one! Mello is more likable now, he's actually pretty cool.
Jan 26, 2016 12:17 PM

Jan 2016
I know this is late, but how was Near able to obtain the rules of the deathnote, despite never seeing it himself?
There is a reason to why all, yes all, people have to experienced One Piece at least once in their life.
May 3, 2016 5:24 AM

Aug 2015
Nah, Near is just like an younger copy of L. I think I like him. And this view, when he was playing with toys xD Yea, thats a real detective xD
I don't believe, that president accepted Kira! Nah, what a coward!!

That face xD
May 17, 2016 9:23 PM

Feb 2010
[quote=cureroyale message=2141373][quote=Krelian]This was better than I was expecting, though still not nearly as good as it was before L bought it.
grieverblade1 said:
hmph..it was much more exciting with L.
Daionii said:
I still miss L.
There was no point in him not being there if Near is going to be just like him. Except.. less interesting.
The thing that's annoying me the most right now is the amount of times Light says "I win" XD

I so agree with everyone

YEP.
Jul 29, 2016 3:12 PM

Jan 2016
Suck it Near!! xD Thilling episode! n how thoughtfull of near too make the members rethink Light again xD what will happen now?
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Aug 15, 2017 12:30 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
this anime is getting me desperate o.o

Sep 17, 2017 11:52 AM
Jun 2013
Near has never seen or touched the death note...so how can he know what the rules are? All Mello told him was that ONE of the rules was fake. There is no evidence or information available for Near to come to the conclusion about the 13-day rule. Am I missing something here?
Sep 17, 2017 11:54 AM
Jun 2013
AkramB said:
I know this is late, but how was Near able to obtain the rules of the deathnote, despite never seeing it himself?
EXACTLY! I was thinking the same. There's no way he should have been able to suspect Light was Kira.
Oct 4, 2017 4:19 PM

Sep 2014
Considering Kira can influence the USA I think he should have just forced the president to bomb near and mellow and call it a terrorist attack. The DN can make him do it and it would be the least annoying way to end this
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 17, 2018 2:23 PM
Jan 2018
Mello has style, but the way he eats his chocolate annoys me so much.
Oct 14, 2018 10:42 AM

Aug 2014
this is boring me... all the time without any proves or reasoning, Near knows exactly who is Kira, what rule is fake and all the rest from previous episodes... it was ok when we first had the same situation with Ryuzaki, but getting the same thing and same way again is boring.

(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Dec 5, 2018 2:50 PM

Aug 2007
I love the voice they used for the American president in the english dub.
It's clearly Bush haha.

Feb 22, 2019 5:37 PM

Feb 2019
Finally, an episode on par with the first half of the anime. IMO the quality of the story, characters and suspense has been steadily decreasing, but this episode showed some promise! :)
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Mar 4, 2019 7:20 AM

Dec 2007
the scene in the begin of the ep light's mother crying, more touching than the previous ep, i mean, her daughter is in shock and her husband is dead, all family, really touching.

darn it, light is to obviously, i even don't remember if it's like that in the manga, it's such a change from his caution moves from the first half of the series.

Comander-07 said:
Considering Kira can influence the USA I think he should have just forced the president to bomb near and mellow and call it a terrorist attack. The DN can make him do it and it would be the least annoying way to end this

you can't control someone with the death note to kille another person, he wil merely die with heart attack, it was couple of eps before this /:
Mar 4, 2019 8:10 AM

Sep 2014
User-Name said:
the scene in the begin of the ep light's mother crying, more touching than the previous ep, i mean, her daughter is in shock and her husband is dead, all family, really touching.

darn it, light is to obviously, i even don't remember if it's like that in the manga, it's such a change from his caution moves from the first half of the series.

Comander-07 said:

you can't control someone with the death note to kille another person, he wil merely die with heart attack, it was couple of eps before this /:
point is or rather was if I remember what I wrote 1 1/2 years ago correctly that at that point the governments officially recognized kira, he could and should have used that influence. Just force him to reveil information or whatever.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 4, 2019 8:21 AM

Dec 2007
Comander-07 said:
User-Name said:

point is or rather was if I remember what I wrote 1 1/2 years ago correctly that at that point the governments officially recognized kira, he could and should have used that influence. Just force him to reveil information or whatever.

i should had quoted u well...
Comander-07 said:
The DN can make him do it and it would be the least annoying way to end this

i meaned to that and maybe i misunderstood u, srry
Mar 11, 2019 7:21 AM

Dec 2018
I think Light could manipulate Matsuda to join his side.

" Anything but my name." You could always use a fake name bro, cuz he doesn't know your name.

Aizawa always staying true to the investigation.

How the heck Light get the president's phone number ?

Why the heck did Light ask Ryuk when making a call with Near? You're dumber than I thought Light.

And Light's taunt to Near is unnessecary, Light just give a clear image for who he is to Near. And for that now Near is 100% sure he's Kira.

Nozdref said:

Btw: Light directly thought of a way to reject the idea and rejected it so; but assuming that's all there is to Near's proposal, it shouldn't be impossible to actually make use of it. Allow Near to kill Mello, and 13 days later kill Near using Misa. Only thing Light has to do is to stipulate that Near uses the notebook under observation of the Japanese police and find a way out to ensure that Near doesn't hide his face during that (granted, that's the biggest obstacle in this) so that Misa can see it. Having seen both his face and name (via eyes of Death God), subsequently Misa to kills him using a piece of paper from her own notebook when the time comes.

I think it's a trap when Light accept his offer then it would increase the chance that he's Kira, because Kira doesn't value human life.
Kish0Mar 11, 2019 7:25 AM
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Apr 24, 2019 6:40 PM
Apr 2018
Poor Light's mom. Her whole family is ruined.

This got so confusing, why is Ryuk stuck with Light? And technically, Near was wrong since at that moment, Misa was Kira (kinda). Also, how could've N tested the 13 day rule? The death note the police got back, which had been stolen by Mello, was returned to its original Shinigami owner iirc... Ugh, my head is a mess.
Jan 8, 2020 4:33 PM

Jul 2015
i cant believe only 1 person in all these years has mentioned the scene with sachiko. the kira case robbed her of her husband, daughter, and son - shes all alone now. shes probably surrounded by the thing that ruined her life whenever she goes outside or turns on the tv, too. lights my favorite anime character of all time, but hes a massive (and loveable..) prick for letting all of that happen to his family. that part about death note really hits me hard every time.
Dec 15, 2020 11:24 AM
Nov 2020
Salls cf nb
SbsgauahaSall
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

68 by Absurdo_N »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

916 by SnipersKgrooWife »»
Apr 16, 12:52 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

393 by decco6226 »»
Apr 13, 8:10 PM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

27 by egosumjohn »»
Apr 10, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

127 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.