Forum Settings
Forums

How do you know about low rated anime is good while many high rated anime isn't that good ?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 14, 2016 10:58 AM

Jul 2015
low rated anime are trash
no need to waste your time watching them
tragedydesuMar 14, 2016 11:09 AM
Mar 14, 2016 11:01 AM

Aug 2013
Wait what? You dont want to watch a show that is rated below 8? You do know that ratings are subjective right? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you can take ratings as a consideration, but try to form your own opinion instead of being biased.

If you dont want to watch a show that is below 4, that is understandable, but seriously? 8? that is too high of a standard! I have only a few anime that is above 8, alot of them are between 5-7.
Mar 14, 2016 11:08 AM

Nov 2007
Got curious - a lot of my favorite animes are around ~7.5. There are a few over 8 and a few under 7 so who gives a s**t about ratings lol
Mar 14, 2016 5:05 PM

Aug 2014
Spoiler alert : you watch it and decide for yourself.
Blood tastes like iron
Mar 14, 2016 5:38 PM

Oct 2015
here are my tips :
1:stoppp looking at the top MAL scores as your guide instead look at the tags that are your preference ( or maybe something out of your comfort zone ) & Synopsis that's it and see whether those two will get you interested. if MAL scores were reliable then you won't see Shows like SAO & Tokyo Ghoul with high ratings ( 7.99 and above )

2: trying balancing between currently airing shows and old/finished shows and since I saw your other older thread I advice you to drop that ''post 2011 only'' rule because you're going to miss out on some classics either its old or modern , this winter season airing shows mostly suck but they are some good ones ( Shouwa , Musaigen , KonoSuba , Dimension W etc , hell you might love erased ) but that doesn't mean modern anime sucks its just that with all those shits shows you may find a gold show you might dig
Mar 14, 2016 7:13 PM

Jan 2014
Just to ask more.

1. Rating have method http://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=topanime : subjective or not, at least it's valid statistically (and have many respondend too)

2. One people opinion doesn't prove that opinion is right because it doesn't have data. Example : "Mostly people who rate in MAL just little kid around 15 years old". I don't believe this kind of statement, where is the data ?

3. For people who only depend on synopsis. Synopsis didn't tell the spoilers, many anime become interesting because of it's spoiler that wasn't written in the synopsis.

4. For the people who just watch before judge, how if the earlier episodes is bad but become better in later episodes ?

5. And for the people who watch everything regarding the show is good or bad, what if you have limited time to watch anime so you just only wasting time watching some shit ?
Mar 14, 2016 7:18 PM

Jul 2012
These are some good ways to find what to watch:

Read the synopsis to see if you're interested.

Read or watch a review to get a general idea for what the show will be about.

Use MAL/MALgraph suggestions.

Or just ask for recommendations. Be sure to give an idea of what sort of shows you enjoy so people can help narrow it down.
Mar 14, 2016 7:23 PM

Feb 2016
I think it is more a matter of knowing what you like rather than what the show is rated. After you get the feel for the industry, you usually know what genres you will enjoy. Also, it is good to look what friends with similar tastes to you think of it, as it will also help give you a feel for whether you will like it or not.

That all being said, you very well may come across a series you thought you would dislike but end up liking it. Ultimately it comes down to actually watching it and forming your own opinion.
Mar 14, 2016 8:33 PM

Jan 2016
Hmm I don't completely trust MAL ratings but I do consider them as one of the factors I evaluate before starting an anime. I usually read opinions, reviews and information but I don't reject an anime just by looking at its score. For example School Day's MAL rating is below 7 but I don't regret watching it at all (I don't consider it bad as most people who hate it do).
Mar 14, 2016 9:02 PM

Jul 2009
It's simple. There's 518 anime rated 8.0 and higher right now. You haven't even watched half of it yet. It's clear that once you'll finish them all and experience that you don't like half of them, you'll realize that maybe there's something fishy about the scores and that maybe there is anime series you would enjoy rated lower than 8. Your preferences will be probably crystal clear after finishing 518 shows.

Honestly, anything above 7 has a good chance to become a series you will like, because 7 is MAL average. Under 7, that's when it starts to be risky. Calling a series rated 7.6 'low rated' is offending.
Good advice: make the line at least 7.5, it'll greatly expand your possibilities and there's plenty of great series rated in those numbers.
nameaMar 14, 2016 9:05 PM
Mar 15, 2016 12:54 AM

Nov 2009
HiatusXHiatus said:
Just to ask more.

1. Rating have method http://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=topanime : subjective or not, at least it's valid statistically (and have many respondend too)

2. One people opinion doesn't prove that opinion is right because it doesn't have data. Example : "Mostly people who rate in MAL just little kid around 15 years old". I don't believe this kind of statement, where is the data ?

3. For people who only depend on synopsis. Synopsis didn't tell the spoilers, many anime become interesting because of it's spoiler that wasn't written in the synopsis.

4. For the people who just watch before judge, how if the earlier episodes is bad but become better in later episodes ?

5. And for the people who watch everything regarding the show is good or bad, what if you have limited time to watch anime so you just only wasting time watching some shit ?

Combine 5 and 3/4, and you'll see that if the show's first episodes are bad, you can safely drop it.
Frankly, if you did not enjoy whatever the show had to offer in the first episodes, it likely means you would not enjoy what happens later too. It becomes better only for people who already liked what they saw in the early episodes enough to continue watching.

1. Ratings have a method. And we all know the method's limitations. Its main limitation is people. Hordes of people who are not like me. Most likely they are not like you as well. As a result, their judgement is not very relevant for me or you or anybody else.
Have an example: Sure, several millions of girls might think some girly anime is great. It does not mean I'll enjoy it, because I'm not a girl.

There are secondary limitations such as fake accounts set up to boost anime a user likes or drop the ones a user dislikes, but they don't matter that much.

2. There are no good sources for MAL's demographics. The only thing you can be sure of is that it's full of anime fans.

3. Generally, tags provide all the necessary amount of spoilers. AniDB's tags are better than MAL's.

5. Anime isn't a job. Relax and enjoy it - very few anime are so bad it hurts.
Or drop it like a hot potato and pretend you have never seen it - completionism is for people with a lot of time on their hands.
Mar 15, 2016 3:38 AM

Oct 2013
I watch 7?5+ but sometimes if it looks good, I don't care about the score
Mar 15, 2016 1:00 PM

Mar 2016
I hate to say it but... MAL scores are really not the standard you want to go by when looking for anime. Take the suggestions of friend's you know share the same interests as you and generally check out the synopsis and preview of a show and watch it if it catches your interest.
Mar 15, 2016 1:05 PM

Apr 2010
Well, most of the time I do take a look at the ratings, but I don't mind watching a low rated anime, even the most lowest of them all. I guess I like to check out everything whether it's good or bad.
Mar 15, 2016 1:08 PM

Oct 2014
FarrelSal said:
Wait what? You dont want to watch a show that is rated below 8? You do know that ratings are subjective right? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you can take ratings as a consideration, but try to form your own opinion instead of being biased.

If you dont want to watch a show that is below 4, that is understandable, but seriously? 8? that is too high of a standard! I have only a few anime that is above 8, alot of them are between 5-7.
Out of the 7300 anime with at least 50 votes only about 180 are rated under 5.0 and around 500 are rated above 8.0. Since the majority of anime are rated withing these three points it's logical that most of the anime on any given list will be mostly composed of anime in this range.
Mar 15, 2016 1:17 PM

Apr 2014
I watch it and I judge it, that's really it.
Mar 16, 2016 12:49 AM
Nov 2010
MAL ratings are worthless. For example, there are some idiots who make their own personal scoring systems from 1-5.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Mar 16, 2016 1:26 AM

May 2015
Why do you let others do the thinking for you?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 16, 2016 6:39 AM

Jul 2013
Just fvcking watch whatever you like. The good ones come out unexpectedly.
Mar 16, 2016 6:44 AM

Jan 2016
It's like judging the book by its' cover

I decide on anime by reading the plot, looking at the characters (peek at their info, but I don't read spoilers, if there are some) and also genres... but sometimes I just see that it's compared to another anime I liked and I simply give it a try to watch it, most of my list wasn't found on my own, almost all of them were found accidently
Mar 16, 2016 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
I don't much care about the rating, i read the sinopse to see if the anime interests me or not.
There are some high rating shows here on MAL that i didn't like what so ever. So going simply by ratings is not a viable choice.
Mar 16, 2016 6:59 AM

Dec 2015
ugh you watch them? instead of others's review why not try the trailer instead and decide to watch it or not
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Mar 16, 2016 7:01 AM
Aug 2015
hard to say most anime i watch are low ranked which
high Scores eg: to love ru, highschool dxd, seikon no qwester
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

96 by DigiCat »»
39 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

178 by ISeeLifePeople »»
49 seconds ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

23 by Ex-Aid »»
2 minutes ago

» Is "Magnetic Rose" considered a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
12 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

11 by Ex-Aid »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.