Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 12, 2016 1:47 AM

Feb 2016
I was pretty shocked to see the original Evangelion at #131 when I was expecting it to at least be in the top 40.

What criticisms can you give that would explain why it's rated so low?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 12, 2016 1:49 AM

Mar 2014
SHINJI ISN'T AN EPIC ALPHA MALE

THEREFORE I CRI EVERI TYME

EVANGELION 2.0 4 LYFE

SHOUNEN HAREM LORD FUCK YEAH
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 12, 2016 1:51 AM

Nov 2012
Obligatory response for Eva-related threads

Mar 12, 2016 1:55 AM

Nov 2015
Yumadu-nii said:
I was pretty shocked to see the original Evangelion at #131 when I was expecting it to at least be in the top 40.

Wanna completely lose faith in the site's rating system ?Check Ergo Proxy and Texhnolyze positions and then check the top 9.
Mar 12, 2016 1:59 AM

Apr 2013
BEar in mind that for some unknown reason, mecha anime is quite disliked on MAL.
If you look at the amount of Mecha anime franchise higher ranked than Evangelion, you'll only have Code Geass, Guren Lagan, Ghost in the shell and Gundam Unicorn. So as far as Mecha franchises go, Evangelion is ranked as the 5th franchise.

Add to that that Evangelion has almost no moe, almost no ecchi, isn't edgy enough, has a weak willed MC( type of MC that lots of MAL users dislike it seems), and that position isn't actually half that bad.
Mar 12, 2016 2:01 AM

Jul 2015
Comic_Sans said:

EVANGELION 2.0 4 LYFE

This has to be the answer. "GIVE ME BACK... AYAAANAAAAMIIIIIIII!!!" shonen fags get a boner.
Mar 12, 2016 2:04 AM

Mar 2014
Clebardman said:
Comic_Sans said:

EVANGELION 2.0 4 LYFE

This has to be the answer. "GIVE ME BACK... AYAAANAAAAMIIIIIIII!!!" shonen fags get a boner.
Evangelion 2.0 has so much character growth, Shinji turned into a shounen harem lord 11/10 I cry everi tyme
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 12, 2016 2:09 AM

Sep 2015
Comic_Sans said:

EVANGELION 2.0 4 LYFE

Pretty much this. You can also throw in the "It's 2deep for me", "Asuka's an annoying bitch", etc, etc, etc. It's kinda funny how 2.0 seemed to be made exactly for the non-Evangelion fans.
Mar 12, 2016 2:10 AM

Apr 2011
The long standing criticism for it is that it's pseudo-deep nonsense thought up by a highly depressed man. Might be true, might not. All I remember is that when I attempted to watch it a few years back, I stopped around episode 10. It felt sort of hallow and depressive to me. :/
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Mar 12, 2016 2:10 AM

Jun 2012
Imo the characters were either annoying or boring and you can't have a good story without the characters.

That's just me though, others love the characters.
♬♪♫
RateYourMusic
LastFM
♬♪♫
Mar 12, 2016 2:12 AM

Feb 2015
You do know that the rating doesn't mean goddamn shit don't you ?
Mar 12, 2016 2:13 AM

Mar 2012
What the show eventually became in the end was a lot less interesting than what it could have been.

Basically it put forward all these great ideas only to drop them completely and make it a show about Shinji and his feelings.
Mar 12, 2016 2:13 AM

Jul 2015
AngelicTotoro said:
The long standing criticism for it is that it's pseudo-deep nonsense thought up by a highly depressed man. Might be true, might not. All I remember is that when I attempted to watch it a few years back, I stopped around episode 10. It felt sort of hallow and depressive to me. :/

You only saw the tame, generic and happy half of it :c.
Mar 12, 2016 2:23 AM

Feb 2016
St0rmrage said:
Yumadu-nii said:

Wanna completely lose faith in the site's rating system ?Check Ergo Proxy and Texhnolyze positions and then check the top 9.
Hah.. Wow.. Is this real? Ergo Proxy at #400s and Texhnolyze in #800s when Gintama takes half the top 9 slots. And the 9th is Clannad After Story? Hah, my faith in the rating system is dead.

EDIT: I guess it's not all bad though. At least Legend of the Galactic Heroes is 10th.

Mar 12, 2016 2:25 AM

Jul 2015
Yumadu-nii said:
St0rmrage said:
Hah.. Wow.. Is this real? Ergo Proxy at #400s and Texhnolyze in #800s when Gintama takes half the top 9 slots. And the 9th is Clannad After Story? Hah, my faith in the rating system is dead.

EDIT: I guess it's not all bad though. At least Legend of the Galactic Heroes is 10th.

Mal ratings will be better if people stop rating everything 10/10 :)
Mar 12, 2016 2:28 AM

Feb 2016
tragedydesu said:

Yeah no kidding. Maybe 10s should be removed altogether, after all, nothing is perfect.

Mar 12, 2016 2:36 AM

Aug 2013
tragedydesu said:
Yumadu-nii said:

not true
just let everyone rate as they like if they really believe its deserve the score
MAL community has a lot of troll, haters and people who think they understand critic that the problem of MAL
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2016 2:39 AM

Aug 2013
Yumadu-nii said:
tragedydesu said:

Yeah no kidding. Maybe 10s should be removed altogether, after all, nothing is perfect.

true
but 10 means MASTERPIECE not perfect there's a difference
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2016 2:43 AM

Jan 2009
Brotip:
Ignore MAL ratings and reviews completely.
It'll make your life way less cancerous.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Mar 12, 2016 2:53 AM

Nov 2012
I really think of this one as a classic. It had his traits that where masterpiece worthy. But is also had moment which made you think if those where really necessarily. The final movie for example was a rollercoaster from up and downs for me. A really weird experience.
Mar 12, 2016 3:02 AM

Dec 2014
Yumadu-nii said:
St0rmrage said:

Unfortunately, mal rankings isnt a good reference for elitists
Mar 12, 2016 3:11 AM

Mar 2015
SecretXAgent said:
LoL, yeah.. MAL is not made for "Elitists" XD
EsperMar 12, 2016 3:15 AM
This salad is salty favored
Mar 12, 2016 3:14 AM

Jul 2012
"Shinji is a little bitch. I wish he would have had sex with Asuka/Rei/Kaworu/Misato/his dad."
Mar 12, 2016 3:14 AM

Jul 2015
_Esper_ said:
SecretXAgent said:
LoL, yeah.. MAL is not for" Elitists" XD

i feel the opposite
just look how much people here hate popular shows
Mal is for elitists
Mar 12, 2016 3:17 AM

Mar 2015
tragedydesu said:
_Esper_ said:
LoL, yeah.. MAL is not for" Elitists" XD

i feel the opposite
just look how much people here hate popular shows
Mal is for elitists
Nah.. I call them "self proclaim" "Elitists". LoL
This salad is salty favored
Mar 12, 2016 3:24 AM

Aug 2015
#131 is actually high enough for an old show. I'm more surprised not the see Charlotte in the top 300
Mar 12, 2016 3:31 AM

Aug 2014
Zefyris said:
BEar in mind that for some unknown reason, mecha anime is quite disliked on MAL.
If you look at the amount of Mecha anime franchise higher ranked than Evangelion, you'll only have Code Geass, Guren Lagan, Ghost in the shell and Gundam Unicorn. So as far as Mecha franchises go, Evangelion is ranked as the 5th franchise.

Add to that that Evangelion has almost no moe, almost no ecchi, isn't edgy enough, has a weak willed MC( type of MC that lots of MAL users dislike it seems), and that position isn't actually half that bad.

But is GITS really mecha?
Z-Dante said:
#131 is actually high enough for an old show. I'm more surprised not the see Charlotte in the top 300

Because most people know that charlotte is complete shit.

Also I haven't seen eva for a couple years but I do much prefer end of eva regardless. Also utena is a bit easier to digest than eva is imo, which is why I gave it a higher rating.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedMar 12, 2016 11:47 AM

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 12, 2016 3:34 AM

Nov 2012
Z-Dante said:
lol why do you think so? I think a 7.92 score is still very high for a typical audience focused drama.
Mar 12, 2016 3:36 AM

Jul 2012
johnyjohny said:
Z-Dante said:
lol why do you think so? I think a 7.92 score is still very high for a typical audience focused drama.
it's really high considering how many people on these forums consider it to be one of the worst shows ever created
Mar 12, 2016 3:41 AM

Apr 2013
black1blade said:
Zefyris said:

Z-Dante said:

borderline at best, I suppose. I simply listed all the shows with that tag :). If we were t refuse GITS its mecha tag, then Evangelion is even 4th.
Mar 12, 2016 4:13 AM
Jul 2018
Some people find it overrated and dislike the "random" philosophy and religious imagery. I personally love it!
Mar 12, 2016 4:14 AM

Feb 2016
Zefyris said:
MAL users must not like looking in the mirror :^)

Reminder that Hideaki Anno was a 'weak willed' otaku and made Shinji to resemble both himself and his audience. This is also why Shinji fapped to Asuka. He's saying "this is you, fapping to a 14 year old girl."

The real question is, now that Asuka's technically 28 in the Rebuild, is it okay to fap to her now?
Yumadu-niiMar 12, 2016 4:22 AM

Mar 12, 2016 4:19 AM

Dec 2015
Mayuka said:
johnyjohny said:
it's really high considering how many people on these forums consider it to be one of the worst shows ever created

It's bad, but I have seen worse. Although that score is pretty damn high for it lol.

OT:
Some people tend to overthink some of the symbolism in NGE, or they don't think about anything going on at all.
It's not everyone's cup of tea, and there are certain reasons for that.
Hideaki Anno had a lot of personal elements tied into the show, and as Hideaki was battling with his emotional issues he reflected that into his characters. He also stated that at a certain point he didn't want things to be explicitly told, and wanted to viewer to interpret and understand by themselves without their hand being held through the plot.
This is quite common for many writers to do (usually in novels and poetry), so I think when people see it done in anime they are taken back a bit and confused.
Banner credit to @turnip
Mar 12, 2016 4:28 AM

Sep 2010
hell even anno said the religious imagery is just for the background, it has no deep symbolic meaning to the series.

people dislike it becuase they relate to shinji and because the last 2 episodes were confusing af

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Mar 12, 2016 5:22 AM

Jun 2012
EVA, in my eyes, is an amazing piece of art. Sure it has its fair share of hits and misses, but it is still wonderful overall and truly worthy to be my no.1 favorite anime of all time. Also, I like the original TV Series slightly better than the Rebuilds (although I admit that the Rebuilds did better on character developments).

I guess today's generation would have a hard time liking such an old series coming from over 20 years ago and preferred currently trending series or massively overrated ones. They also won't like Shinji for being an emo, pathetic main protagonist (despite being more realistic and overall MUCH better character than a certain pathetic white-haired, teeth-masked half-man-eater with red tentacles growing from his back) and preferred badass fighter-type characters and also boring Gary Stu characters.
"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu."

However, in Gundam, all life begins with Nu and ends with Hi-Nu. While in KanColle, all life begins with Nu and ends with Kinu.
Mar 12, 2016 5:28 AM

Apr 2013
Yumadu-nii said:
Zefyris said:
MAL users must not like looking in the mirror :^)

Reminder that Hideaki Anno was a 'weak willed' otaku and made Shinji to resemble both himself and his audience. This is also why Shinji fapped to Asuka. He's saying "this is you, fapping to a 14 year old girl."

The real question is, now that Asuka's technically 28 in the Rebuild, is it okay to fap to her now?

They dislike even more when you point that out :p.

I suppose gainax think she is, since they made her suit partially see through.
Mar 12, 2016 5:32 AM

Jan 2013
It's boring as fuck. I still have not finished it, and I started watching it almost a year ago.
Mar 12, 2016 5:41 AM

Dec 2012
Frankly it felt like there was depth there for the sake of it. Nothing about its hidden meanings or symbolism actually made me care about what was going on or its implications. I found it boring from time to time and the characters underwhelmed me.

I still gave it a 7, which means I did indeed enjoy it. I just don't see it as being among the greats at this stage, although I'll recognize its historical significance.
Mar 12, 2016 5:58 AM

Aug 2014
Zefyris said:
black1blade said:

borderline at best, I suppose. I simply listed all the shows with that tag :). If we were t refuse GITS its mecha tag, then Evangelion is even 4th.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 12, 2016 7:20 AM

Jun 2012
amk_2397 said:
Comic_Sans said:

EVANGELION 2.0 4 LYFE

Pretty much this. You can also throw in the "It's 2deep for me", "Asuka's an annoying bitch", etc, etc, etc. It's kinda funny how 2.0 seemed to be made exactly for the non-Evangelion fans.
I'm pretty sure that we've all been abandoned by our lord and saviour, Anno.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 12, 2016 7:40 AM

Jul 2011
The ending?
I will go with the ending.

And Shinji wasn't so bad in the series, end of evangelion was when he became a little piece of shit
, that it's something that i expect from a villain.
Mar 12, 2016 7:43 AM
Mar 2012
Yumadu-nii said:

I mean, I loved it but I can still give you some that jumped out at me when I watched it not too long ago...bare in mind at least a few of these criticisms can kind of just be responded with 'that's not the point of the show' but these are still things which niggled at me.

The motivations of the villains are left rather vague and the whole conflict between them and Gendo comes of as just a bit forced imo Especially the bits in EoE - I never really understood what their motivations were and how they differed all that much to Gendo, they were literally faceless entities.

The ending of EoE was just a bit nonsensical? Sure Shinji resolves his problems but it rather implies that things will change and then it ends how it does and doesn't really make much sense considering how Shinji's problems were resolved.

Asuka could have done with a bit more character development, she kind of goes back and forth a bit and whilst I enjoy her character for the most part and what she represents (along with Shinki and Rei) I think more could have been done on smoothing down her character arc and ending her in a place which made more sense.

There's a few pointless, long, important sounding names which just come across as pretty cheesy and whilst it doesn't go TOO far imo, I think for some people it might and it stops just shy of that for me. Shit like the Spear of Longinus - it comes across as kind of pretentious and doesn't tie that well to the other themes of the show. There's a line for me - the cross explosions are just cool and I don't think there is any deeper meaning there so I don't mind, stuff like the Spear of Loninus feels added and forced.

The format of the show is inherently pretty meh - monster of the week crap, this is offset by the fact that it only acts as a backdrop to the psychological problems of the main cast but it's still there and still worth mentioning I think. In fact the overall 'plot' I would say isn't anything too special, it's a perpetual build-up to the climactic ott ending, the character drama is what drives the show and whilst I love that some people might enjoy it less so.

I mean there might be more but that was a quick shortlist of things which bothered me when watching - there's no such thing as a perfect series and it's entirely possible some of these things bothered some people more than you. Shinji never bothered me, I enjoyed his character a lot - but I guess I could see why people might get annoyed...
Mar 12, 2016 7:45 AM

Oct 2014
Evangelion receives a lot of hate for a variety of reasons. One first has to understand that within the context of the mecha genre, a lot of people did not find its subversive elements particularly fascinating, especially if you consider a number of shows that came before and after (Ideon and RahXephon) that appealed in different ways that did not try to force certain things down the throat in the way Evangelion does.

Secondly, I think the religious symbolism turns a lot of people off to the show. This is understandable, but I think people often get way too caught up in criticizing Evangelion's useless religious symbolism when that is hardly the sticking point of the show. I will grant a lot of people get incredibly deep into the lore of Evangelion, and perhaps criticism in that aspect may be warranted. One thing to note is that I think for criticism to work, the criticism has to align with the purpose of what is being criticized. In this instance, scrutinizing the symbolism in Evangelion and trying to say that other shows do "Christian symbolism" better (whatever that means) seems a bit like missing the point. But anyway.

Third, I think the characters can be a great turnoff to a lot of people who were expecting a character that grows in the way that we expect him to. In many ways, Evangelion turns the "Hero of a Thousand Faces" Monomyth out the window. Normally in these types of stories where a young man is suddenly thrust into a greater than him story where he suddenly becomes the central figure, there is a period where the character denies his responsibility before taking up the mantle and becoming a man. There is a coming of age aspect to it as well.

In Evangelion, that simply does not exist. Shinji hardly takes up the mantle of responsibility, and even sacrifices the lives of his presumed friends by not doing so (this is especially the case in End of Evangelion). He is rightfully called a coward, and I think people do not care enough about the complex psychological elements of Evangelion to care if they are going to have to put up with Shinji.

There are a lot of other criticisms ranging from the ending of the show to End of Evangelion, and more. All in all, I think the reasons for people disliking Evangelion are vast. I love Evangelion. It happens to be one of my favorite anime, but I will not shy away from the fact that is deeply controversial on multiple levels.
Mar 12, 2016 9:47 AM

Feb 2016
Xykko said:
hell even anno said the religious imagery is just for the background, it has no deep symbolic meaning to the series.

people dislike it becuase they relate to shinji and because the last 2 episodes were confusing af
Do you really believe that? Hideaki Anno downplays everything he does. There's so much religious symbolism that fits together, if he just wanted to put it there to look cool, he wouldn't have to put in the research that he did.
CondemneDio said:
It's boring as fuck. I still have not finished it, and I started watching it almost a year ago.
Lol, damn. Why's it so boring to you?

Mar 12, 2016 9:50 AM

Nov 2013
-The original ending is actually terrible.
-Even before the ending the show ran into some major budget problems there they needed to use a single frame for several minutes.
-Shinji is no where near as compelling as a character as Asuka. She really should have been the lead.
Mar 12, 2016 10:14 AM

Jan 2014
It is because it promises things it never delivers.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 12, 2016 10:36 AM

Jan 2013
Yumadu-nii said:

CondemneDio said:
Lol, damn. Why's it so boring to you?

I dunno :D It's just that getting through a single episode is such a chore.
I have a tendency to dislike older anime though. I have some kind of an unintentional bias towards old anime.
Mar 12, 2016 10:45 AM
Jul 2012
Dumb people on mal don't understand it a bunch of masterpieces are rated low af
Mar 12, 2016 10:47 AM

Apr 2013
Tarextherex said:
^I am retarded and didn't get it, so obviously i didn't care much for it
Mar 12, 2016 10:49 AM
Jul 2012
Mushmallow said:
Tarextherex said:
^I am retarded and didn't get it, so obviously i didn't care much for it

*looks at your profile*

Why yes you are
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.