Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Mahoutsukai no Yome' Gets Three-Part Prequel Anime

New
Mar 9, 2016 12:33 PM

Nov 2011
It was revealed from the fifth volume of Mahoutsukai no Yome that the manga will be receiving a prequel anime. Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito will tell the story before Chise's meeting with Elias.

The prequel anime will be divided into three parts and be bundled with the sixth, seventh, and eighth volumes of the manga. It was also revealed that the first part will be screened in select theaters across Japan for two weeks beginning on August 13.

Staff
Director: Norihiro Naganuma (Yowamushi Pedal Movie)
Script: Aya Takaha (Psycho-Pass Zero: Namae no Nai Kaibutsu)
Character Design: Hirotaka Katou (Hoozuki no Reitetsu)
Background Art: Bamboo
Studio: Wit Studio

Cast
Chise Hatori: Atsumi Tanezaki (Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider)
Elias Ainsworth: Ryouta Takeuchi (DRAMAtical Murder)
Ruth: Kouki Uchiyama (Nijiiro Days)
Silkie: Aya Endou (Shinsekai Yori)

The manga series drawn by Kore Yamazaki began publishing in Comic Blade in 2013. It placed second in the 2015 Kono Manga ga Sugoi! (This Manga is Amazing!) rankings among male readers and 16th in the 2016 rankings. It was also nominated in the 8th Manga Taisho awards.

Mahoutsukai no Yome is licensed in English as The Ancient Magus' Bride by Seven Seas Entertainment. Three volumes have been published, with the next two volumes scheduled for April 12 and July 5. The second volume remained on The New York Times manga best seller list for four consecutive weeks, and the third volume debuted in second place.

Official site: http://magus-bride.jp/
Twitter: @magus_bride

PV

Source: Ota☆Suke

Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito on MAL
Sakana-sanMar 10, 2016 9:47 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2016 12:36 PM

Nov 2011
I have mixed thoughts on this. I mean, 3-part prequel OVA rather than an actual TV anime adaptation and Wit Studio as the studio.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see Magus animated. It was a matter of not if but when. Hopefully, this will get enough recognition for a full TV series in the future by Production IG, a studio that I think fits better. The animation quality when played in theaters should be good though for at the first part. I just really hope they capture the magic of the world fiction as there's so much potential there.
Mar 9, 2016 12:40 PM

Jan 2015
Eeeh...Would have preferred a TV series.
Mar 9, 2016 12:41 PM

Sep 2013
>Wit Studio

Why?
Just pick a better studio if you want an adaptation, now they have to settle for prequels cause they're too busy with snk and it's ripoffs.

The prequels do sound good thou :(
Mar 9, 2016 12:43 PM

Dec 2012
Wow. So many manga I know about are getting adaptations.

Looks more fitting for an anime so I will wait for that.
Mar 9, 2016 12:48 PM

Apr 2008
Wow prequel OVAs - unexpected but if done right could be amazing - hopefully an adaptation of the manga will follow!
Mar 9, 2016 12:48 PM

Jul 2013
I'm quite happy with my favorite manga having an anime adaptation by one of my favorite anime studio. It's a dream come true.
Mar 9, 2016 12:50 PM

Nov 2007
You don't say! One of my favourite manga. But I wonder what will be the prequel like. I am not really ready to see the human trafficking if they plan to make it go that direction. I hope it's something to do with the magic world or something tbh.

Either way, I hope it's done properly; regardless the manga is not for fans who don't understand the play of words. It has some of the most intelligently written dialogues I came across.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 9, 2016 12:54 PM

Apr 2015
With the teaser on it's website, I was almost sure it'd be a TV series. Oh well OVA is better than nothing atleast.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 9, 2016 12:56 PM

Jan 2014
Now just wait the main series receive an adaptation.
Mar 9, 2016 1:01 PM

Feb 2011
Wit Studio and a director who worked previously as key animator
...going to wait for some character designs, but don't have high expectations, just hope they won't screw up with the background music and the mood

about the story instead, wonder if they'll adapt that little part when lindel talked about the past, or if it's something else and unpublished

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Mar 9, 2016 1:04 PM

Apr 2014
The staff is so unimpressive. Gonna keep expectations as low as possible.
Mar 9, 2016 1:18 PM

Aug 2012
Hmm certainly not what I expected to see first as an anime, but we'll see how it does for manga sales. Hopefully well enough to justify a well invested TV series.

And by someone other than Wit. I'm particularly concerned about music here, as there are so many beautiful scenes that could be capitalized on with great soundtrack, or butchered with misplaced tracks like Owari no Seraph suffered from.
Mar 9, 2016 1:32 PM

Mar 2013
Ryouta Takeuchi as Elias is epic win.
Mar 9, 2016 1:38 PM

Jun 2008
This looks interesting :D
Mar 9, 2016 1:46 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Nice, I read a few chapters of the manga awhile back and I really liked it. Hopefully it ends up getting a full TV adaptation.
Mar 9, 2016 2:04 PM

Jan 2015
Only read the first 5 chapters but really liked the setting, though I have mixed thoughts on the studio and the decision for OVA's...oh well better than nothing I guess.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Mar 9, 2016 2:12 PM

Oct 2013
Why are people complaining that wit studio is animating this???
Mar 9, 2016 2:20 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
they only know shingeky no kyojin from WIT studio, they don't know WIT already done it before with hoozuki no reitetsu which is also has heavy cultural refference.

anyways, mixed feeling. there is nothing good (i mean the story, not quality) from prequel. there is only depression side of heroine, or loneliness side of magus.

the staff also pretty unfamiliar. keep my expectation low. also OVA, which mean the raws and sub gonna be slow. still waiting TV series.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 9, 2016 2:21 PM
Dec 2015
keragamming said:

Maybe because Owari no Seraph "poorly" animated. Some people still bitching that.

I thought WIT Studio was a good choice, they're have a good background art. (ex : Hoozuki no Reitetsu, Rolling Girls)
They're still part of I.G. Port too. Which we can expect a "High Budget" for this. Production I.G. can involved like SnK S1 to help the animation.
NotThisShitAgainMar 9, 2016 2:26 PM
Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Mar 9, 2016 2:24 PM

Jul 2014
I've heard lots of good things about this series, so I'm kinda disappointed that the main series itself isn't getting adapted (yet). Hopefully this is being used as a means to test the waters, as it were, and see whether making an anime for the main series is viable or not.

Either way, I'll watch these OVAs.
Mar 9, 2016 2:28 PM

Feb 2014
I'm mad that one of my favourite mangas is going to be adapted by WIT. Srsly, what the hell!!?? I wanted Production I.G to adapt this series which is too good to be handled by WIT. I'll also keep in mind to have very low expectations for this. The cast looks good though...
dolly94Mar 9, 2016 3:00 PM
Mar 9, 2016 2:29 PM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
keragamming said:
they only know shingeky no kyojin from WIT studio, they don't know WIT already done it before with hoozuki no reitetsu which is also has heavy cultural refference.

anyways, mixed feeling. there is nothing good (i mean the story, not quality) from prequel. there is only depression side of heroine, or loneliness side of magus.

the staff also pretty unfamiliar. keep my expectation low. also OVA, which mean the raws and sub gonna be slow. still waiting TV series.

Yea, I figured. Also the manga doesn't have enough chapters for a TV anime yet. So we will probably get a TV adaption in 2017.
Mar 9, 2016 2:38 PM

Jul 2014
Ah! This is really good. I like this manga a lot, it's really interesting. I also think Wit Studio is kinda okay? They're not as GOOD as Kyoani, obviously, but they could be much much worse. Anyway, looking forward to this OVA.

Mar 9, 2016 3:24 PM

Jun 2015
dolly94 said:
I'm mad that one of my favourite mangas is going to be adapted by WIT. Srsly, what the hell!!?? I wanted Production I.G to adapt this series which is too good to be handled by WIT. I'll also keep in mind to have very low expectations for this. The cast looks good though...

I mean, WIT Studio is literally just a separate branch of Production I.G. They're really not all that different, except that WIT has a lesser budget.
Mar 9, 2016 4:16 PM

Apr 2013
really didn't expected that it will be prequel, but still very happy that it's getting animated
now just keep hoping for an actual tv anime adaptation
Mar 9, 2016 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
Something worthwhile to look forward to, recent TV anime have been stale for the most part.
Mar 9, 2016 5:48 PM

Nov 2013
I was kind of looking forward to this getting adapted, but a prequel ova?
Mar 9, 2016 7:02 PM

Nov 2014
It seems the director was assistant director in kimi ni todoke, a very good slice of life anime. The script writer is from guilty crown,i have only watched the first episode and it was very good. But what's this, the studio made the shingeki no kyojin anime, spin offs and ovas?Looks okay to me.

Mar 9, 2016 7:09 PM

Nov 2011
Added the preview just now to the OP post.
Stark700Mar 9, 2016 7:39 PM
Mar 9, 2016 7:20 PM

Oct 2013
The preview looks great IMO. Wit studio haters can shut their mouth now.
Mar 9, 2016 7:32 PM

Jul 2013
It's always good to see more anime from I.G or WIT. I've also been keeping an eye on the manga so I will definitely be checking this out. Just hoping that it wouldn't go down the route like Seraph did. Since it's a 3-part OVAs, there's also lesser chance for "issues".

keragamming said:

So did all of WIT anime PVs.

Mar 9, 2016 7:39 PM

Nov 2011
Yes, I agree. The preview (or maybe teaser?) looks good and will probably be even better on-screen in theaters. There's actually quite a bit of manga content so I'm not sure why it's branded as prequel now. Really hope this gets a proper TV anime in the future.
Mar 9, 2016 7:41 PM

Oct 2013
EasyGo-er said:
It's always good to see more anime from I.G or WIT. I've also been keeping an eye on the manga so I will definitely be checking this out. Just hoping that it wouldn't go down the route like Seraph did. Since it's a 3-part OVAs, there's also lesser chance for "issues".

keragamming said:

Wit did a great job with this series. hoozuki no reitetsu, didn't see anyone praising wit studio for that. Plus this isn't a action base series, it is much easier to animate.
Mar 9, 2016 7:50 PM

Jun 2013
Very disappointing Staff & studio, actually lowered my excitement.

Hopefully WIT doesnt crash like all their previous projects since this is OVA format.

The teaser does look good, but that's called GRAND PV for the manga, not the OVA.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Mar 9, 2016 7:55 PM

Jul 2013
keragamming said:
EasyGo-er said:

Wit did a great job with this series. hoozuki no reitetsu, didn't see anyone praising wit studio for that. Plus this isn't a action base series, it is much easier to animate.

From my experience with WIT, they did 2 good shows (SnK, Hoozuki) and 2 mediocre shows (Rolling Girls, Seraph). You don't see lots of people praising Hoozuki because not many watched it, unlike SnK and Seraph. My point is, all of their PVs look great but the same can't be said about their final products. Being easier to animate won't really help either if they give it away to some new, inexperienced staff and animators.

Mar 9, 2016 8:09 PM

Oct 2013
EasyGo-er said:
keragamming said:

From my experience with WIT, they did 2 good shows (SnK, Hoozuki) and 2 mediocre shows (Rolling Girls, Seraph). You don't see lots of people praising Hoozuki because not many watched it, unlike SnK and Seraph. My point is, all of their PVs look great but the same can't be said about their final products. Being easier to animate won't really help either if they give it away to some new, inexperienced staff and animators.

All I'm saying is that people should be a bit more optimistic, even if they're worried that the worst studio in Japan is animating it. If you're a fan of the series then you should be hoping that it turns out well.

And when I say haters, I wasnt specifically talking about users here on mal, I was saying that from what I've seen from other sites. With users saying its going to suck because it's being made by wit studio ect.
Mar 9, 2016 8:21 PM

Aug 2015
Aww got hyped for a anime adaption, but I guess prequel ova is alright better then nothing.

Just gotta pray it's well received and green lit for a proper adaption
Mar 9, 2016 8:29 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
That preview is fuckin good tho.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 9, 2016 8:34 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I am very surprised to see this getting an anime so soon....That PV as perfection and I can't wait for this to come out (The day before my birthday too :D)
Mar 9, 2016 8:47 PM

Nov 2011
hhhuwat deh fakk dat skullhead shit looks like the Death monster class in D4

aw no
this shis gon be the next big cringe when it comes out
Mar 9, 2016 8:49 PM

Nov 2007
Official site has been opened now (noon JST).
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 9, 2016 9:01 PM
Sep 2015
The PV contains material that isn't a prequel .
Mar 9, 2016 9:40 PM

Dec 2014
I don't even care if it's a prequel cause I expect the actual manga to be adapted shortly after.

Anyway. fucking hyped. IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!
Mar 9, 2016 9:53 PM

Aug 2012
Visuals on point, looks good so far
Mar 9, 2016 10:16 PM

Sep 2014
Well, even if it's a prequel OVA, at least it's here, an animated version !!! (Art looks pretty good in the PV tho)
+Lunai+

Mar 9, 2016 10:28 PM

Sep 2013
Hell yes!! an anime version.
Mar 10, 2016 1:14 AM

Feb 2014
ixaa said:
dolly94 said:

I mean, WIT Studio is literally just a separate branch of Production I.G. They're really not all that different, except that WIT has a lesser budget.

Yea, I know.

Anyway, The PV here looks really good that I was really surprised by how they animated it so beautifully, Good Job! At least its better in terms of animation and cast compared to a certain series *cough* which ruined the lovely Akagami manga to some kind of crap Akagami anime *cough* . I'll increase my expectations a bit, only a bit.
Mar 10, 2016 1:34 AM

Aug 2010
The PV captures the atmosphere perfectly. If they can keep this level up throughout the series it'll be amazing but I doubt they can unfortunately :/
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 9 hours ago

13 by RobertBobert »»
57 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

94 by Noy_Rican »»
2 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
11 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.