Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 8, 2016 12:04 AM

Jan 2016
Recently, I was dress coded by my ap enviromental science teacher for having a pot leaf on the sleeve of my sweatshirt. I'd worn the damn thing at least ten times this whole year and this particular day, he decided to send me up to discipline and have me change. I didn't mind too much, I had another hoodie and a spare tank top I could wear, it was raining all day so I intended on having my hoodie on for the remainder of the time I was at school. I have been threatened with dress code in the past and I'm not appalled that he sent me up this day but it made me think a bit about past situations people I've know and myself have encountered.
My friend got dress coded for having a guns n roses shirt. The teacher who did this claimed that it was gang affiliated since it had a gun on it. Like come on, really?
When I was in elementary school, I remember we weren't allowed to wear camouflage or any Raiders gear (the football team). And anyone who did not obey this was sent home and even as a third grader I thought this was ridiculous like come on! What is the harm in this.
Mind you this, I live in southern California when from may until October, the weather can fluctuate from the fifties to about a hundred and ten degrees fahrenheit. I was wearing a spaghetti strap tank top and a pair of jeans on a given hot day. I was told to put on my jacket when it was 96 degrees F outside and I complied only until I left that class or that supervisor walked away. It is said to be a distracted but never have I ever heard anyone say "Ok boutta take my test lets do thi- OH NO THAT GIRL!! I CAN SEE HER BRA!! I CAN'T PASS MY TEST BECAUSE ALL MY BLOOD IS GOING FROM MY BRAIN DOWN TO MY HUGE DONG"
I don't want to be all third wave feminazi or anything but it is disheartening to think that adults think girls should dress like fucking nuns to not distract the boys. It is equally disrespectful towards the guys. It is saying as if men are so uncontrollably horny that everyone MUST cover up or they're gonna hump anything that walks.
Also, I've seen guys wear tank tops that clearly show their nips and the side of their torso. Did they even get a second look? No. A guy in my spanish class wears a shirt where there's naked women on a beach. Does he get a second look? Nah. This isn't their fault of course. It is that of the mindset of the staff.
Again, I understand why I got dress coded for the pot leaf and am not at all angered by it. I mean duh it was bound to happen eventually. Some things should be dresscoded I guess, but this is where the area turns grey.
Comment your thoughts and leave an answer for my poll :3 <3
<Marisol>
Mar 8, 2016 12:13 AM

Oct 2014
Dress codes exist for a reason, but they shouldn't be that strict. I've actually even heard of "dress codes" where you have to buy your clothes from a specific store, making it more like a uniform. At my school there was just a rule for no drug/alcohol references and nothing "too revealing" which is somewhat subjective. We didn't need a fingertip test rule because barely anyone even wore skirts. There was a girl who wore what covered about as much as a sports bra would and she was left alone but someone with a shirt that shows just a bit of cleavage is apparently something that isn't appropriate for school.
Mar 8, 2016 12:21 AM

Jan 2015
Yea it is dumb. Though schools are the epitome of the asinine "progressive" mindset created in an effort to try and avoid offending fanatical retards. The issue is due to the fact that teachers can be dumb as shit/abusive cunts/just plain incompetent because there is absolutely no quality control. Teachers cant get fired unless they do something that may get the school sued/dont meet the incredibly low teaching standards.

They dont care about education. Thats the main problem, the very basis of standardized education in America is entirely monetized by large corporations that basically have all public schools fundings by the balls. They dont really care about education or the quality of the schools, it only matters if they meet government quotas, and they maintain a politically correct enough of a face value to avoid getting sued or avoid any controversy.
ModeratelyHumanMar 8, 2016 12:30 AM
Mar 8, 2016 1:09 AM

Jun 2014
For real Dress code was annoying as shit at High School, Our School enforced it even if you were out of School property because "It would display a bad message to the public" and it also didn't help that the School Uniform was shite, although the restrictions were cooled down though if you were a senior and you could wear casuals which was nice.
Mar 8, 2016 1:24 AM
Jun 2013
Dress codes can be a pain for a student like me .

But I would love to have dress codes only if they are creative and not plain like Sports uniforms in Schools .
Mar 8, 2016 1:31 AM

Nov 2009
Dress codes are a relic of the past, thought up by the rich. They should be stomped out. (both the rich and the dress codes)
Mar 8, 2016 1:51 AM

Oct 2014
ashishkaull said:

But I would love to have dress codes only if they are creative and not plain like Sports uniforms in Schools .
Does this count as creative?

I have a feeling that it would be hard for any school to get away with uniforms like this.
Mar 8, 2016 1:56 AM
Jun 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
ashishkaull said:

I have a feeling that it would be hard for any school to get away with uniforms like this.

LOL , This Dress code will never be accepted .

Teachers are always on the Hunt for Girls with Short Skirts and these will make even Short Skirts shy ヾ(@^▽^@)ノ
Mar 8, 2016 2:00 AM

Oct 2014
ashishkaull said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Teachers are always on the Hunt for Girls with Short Skirts and these will make even Short Skirts shy ヾ(@^▽^@)ノ
Are short skirts really that big of a problem at your school? Maybe it's just because of the weather here but barely anyone wore skirts at my school. When girls did wear skirts no one seems to judge them about how short they were.
Mar 8, 2016 2:03 AM
Jun 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
ashishkaull said:

Are short skirts really that big of a problem at your school? Maybe it's just because of the weather here but barely anyone wore skirts at my school. When girls did wear skirts no one seems to judge them about how short they were.

Skirts are not problem . Problem is when it becomes too revealing .
I have seen many Girls getting lectures from Teachers on the same issue .

Skirts are must in Most schools . In Colleges , one can wear anything they want as long as its decent .
Mar 8, 2016 2:04 AM

May 2014
s_enpaiternal said:
Recently, I was dress coded by my ap enviromental science teacher for having a pot leaf on the sleeve of my sweatshirt. I'd worn the damn thing at least ten times this whole year and this particular day, he decided to send me up to discipline and have me change. I didn't mind too much, I had another hoodie and a spare tank top I could wear, it was raining all day so I intended on having my hoodie on for the remainder of the time I was at school. I have been threatened with dress code in the past and I'm not appalled that he sent me up this day but it made me think a bit about past situations people I've know and myself have encountered.
My friend got dress coded for having a guns n roses shirt. The teacher who did this claimed that it was gang affiliated since it had a gun on it. Like come on, really?
When I was in elementary school, I remember we weren't allowed to wear camouflage or any Raiders gear (the football team). And anyone who did not obey this was sent home and even as a third grader I thought this was ridiculous like come on! What is the harm in this.
Mind you this, I live in southern California when from may until October, the weather can fluctuate from the fifties to about a hundred and ten degrees fahrenheit. I was wearing a spaghetti strap tank top and a pair of jeans on a given hot day. I was told to put on my jacket when it was 96 degrees F outside and I complied only until I left that class or that supervisor walked away. It is said to be a distracted but never have I ever heard anyone say "Ok boutta take my test lets do thi- OH NO THAT GIRL!! I CAN SEE HER BRA!! I CAN'T PASS MY TEST BECAUSE ALL MY BLOOD IS GOING FROM MY BRAIN DOWN TO MY HUGE DONG"
I don't want to be all third wave feminazi or anything but it is disheartening to think that adults think girls should dress like fucking nuns to not distract the boys. It is equally disrespectful towards the guys. It is saying as if men are so uncontrollably horny that everyone MUST cover up or they're gonna hump anything that walks.
Also, I've seen guys wear tank tops that clearly show their nips and the side of their torso. Did they even get a second look? No. A guy in my spanish class wears a shirt where there's naked women on a beach. Does he get a second look? Nah. This isn't their fault of course. It is that of the mindset of the staff.
Again, I understand why I got dress coded for the pot leaf and am not at all angered by it. I mean duh it was bound to happen eventually. Some things should be dresscoded I guess, but this is where the area turns grey.

Ah, seems like so long ago, yet so recently, that I too had these problems.
Just wait until you get into the real world, all the shit really hits the fan then. Everything now just seems so silly.
There’s no such thing as miracles, only the inevitable, the accidental
and the things we do.
Mar 8, 2016 5:00 AM

Oct 2011
Dress codes are fine but they shouldn't be very strict like only a general idea of what is ok and not ok to wear would do.
Mar 8, 2016 5:41 AM

Dec 2011
Up here in the great Canadia, we have a Public/Catholic school system in Ontario. I was of the latter, which enforced a strict school uniform policy, forcing students to buy overpriced dress pants, white polos, and a few options for sweaters (all embroided with the school's logo of course). We had to wear our sweaters all winter, even in our heated classrooms. Our shoes had to be entirely black; even a small white stripe could have you sent home if you had the nazi teachers.

Thank god for this uniform policy! It deterred bullying; allowed people not to be discriminated by what they wear, and ensured we would all love each other because we shared the same clothes!!! /sarcasm

In retrospect, I never had any issues with the dress code (uniform). Namely, because I don't care what I wear in general, but most students were either repeat offenders, being sent home 2-3 times a week for uniform (and missing school), or completely obedient [sheep] to the system. Only a couple of times a month were we allowed to wear our own clothing, by donating a GREAT CANADIAN TOONIE ($2) to the schools charity focus.

In Japan, all them high school students be wearing blazers n stuff without issue, so I think the problem is with students and not the uniform policy.

I mean really, having cannabis-based clothing is a lot cooler than having cannabis on your cloth-based clothing. Maybe your teacher only complained because of how cringe your sweater was?
Mar 8, 2016 7:21 AM

Sep 2015
Never really been much of a fan of dress codes - it's especially worse when there's no uniform but very subjective and loose rules on what's acceptable and what's not.

One of the funnier memories I have of the dress code was a guy in my class who had a t-shirt which said "Nice legs. What time do they open?". He had a lot of shirts with similar things written on them, and was getting pulled up on them all the time.
Always gave us a chuckle.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 8, 2016 7:54 AM

May 2014
One of my high schools had uniforms, which was fine, but I constantly got shit on because my parents couldn't be bothered to buy me new shoes to fit it, and it frustrated me beyond belief.

The rule was just that you had to have completely black shoes, didn't matter what style or whatever, just that there were no colors allowed.
Mine were entirely black except for a super thin strip of blue on the bottom that was only visible if I lifted my feet, but HOO BOY they still managed to notice somehow.

Anyway, dress code enforcers in the states in particular seem overzealous to the point of insanity, honestly. Like, I'm talking about the ones that make girls cover their collar bones and shoulders. What's with that?
Mar 8, 2016 8:03 AM

Dec 2015
The school I went to in Elementary were also very very strict. Like the length of the skirt, the uniform should always be clean, white socks and black shoes only (if not they will not let you in), everyday they will check your ears,nose and teeth if they are clean if there's a bit of dirt then you will get punished by having your sideburns pulled which really hurt. Accessories shouldn't be too eye catchy etc.

High school and Uni is also strict although not as strict as the one in Elementary. Some students didn't like it during that time, but they learned to appreciate it after they became an adult.

Dress Code is fine, especially in school. I've seen some schools who doesn't care about what their students are wearing and so.. some are wearing inappropriate clothes. Looking like a gangster,messy, too sexy,too much make up etc and I don't think it looks good.

Mar 8, 2016 8:10 AM

Jul 2014
s_enpaiternal said:
When I was in elementary school, I remember we weren't allowed to wear camouflage or any Raiders gear (the football team).
So I'm guessing that was late 80s early 90s. Damn that NWA gangster hippity hop music for ruining the youth of america during that time.
Mar 8, 2016 8:13 AM

Dec 2015
Dress codes in my school were not that strict. You just had to make sure your skirt knee low and you didn't wear anything with spaghetri straps and you were fine. Oh, and heads, caps or anything else that covered your head wasn't allowed either. I've never seen anyone disobeying the dresscode.

Then again, if you did disobey them you had to wear something so hideous you wouldn't even dare to do so and they made this very clear.
Mar 8, 2016 8:21 AM

Nov 2015
I've been to both private school where a uniform is mandatory and a public school where you could where whatever you'd like (with certain restrictions) and as I've gotten older I'm not sure which I'd prefer now. Both have their pros and cons but that's not necessarily what this is about lol. My high school had a dress code where as long as it wasn't too revealing or had some outlandish shit on it you could wear it (no hats either... not sure if that's common or not) I think I should've been able to wear whatever the hell I wanted on my shirt... it's a shirt.. who cares what it says on it lol. If a shirt bothers somebody than that is their problem. School makes their own rules though and those rules should be followed so hey... maybe I'm wrong lol
Mar 8, 2016 8:29 AM

Feb 2012
Never had that, but I didn't really try to rebel with my clothes. Some thought my black shirt with a dragon was satanic, but in reality I just liked dragons. Or actually it was a wyvern, but no point trying to explain that to the ignorant fools.
Mar 8, 2016 9:37 AM

Dec 2014
I went to a school with a dress code. It can be annoying, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.
Mar 8, 2016 9:53 AM

Oct 2015
When I was younger my parents made me go to some annoying private religious school and there uniforms were horrible! One of the reasons I hated going to school so much back then was because of the dress code.

When I was in high school I finally got to go to a public high school and while of course they still had standards they didn't require any stupid uniforms. I actually started to enjoy going to school and buying clothes because I could actuelly wear comfortable clothes that looked neat.
Mar 8, 2016 9:58 AM

Sep 2014
uniforms are dumb and should be done away with. that is all. judge by someone's work, not how they look like.
Mar 8, 2016 10:33 AM

May 2015
Dumb tory idea, should be scrapped.
Mar 8, 2016 3:31 PM

Jan 2016
ibear said:
s_enpaiternal said:
When I was in elementary school, I remember we weren't allowed to wear camouflage or any Raiders gear (the football team).
So I'm guessing that was late 80s early 90s. Damn that NWA gangster hippity hop music for ruining the youth of america during that time.

No I'm a tenth grader at the moment and this took place in 2006-2011 ish. I moved schools in 4th grade
<Marisol>
Mar 8, 2016 3:57 PM

Oct 2014
Nunnally03 said:
The school I went to in Elementary were also very very strict. Like the length of the skirt, the uniform should always be clean, white socks and black shoes only (if not they will not let you in), everyday they will check your ears,nose and teeth if they are clean if there's a bit of dirt then you will get punished by having your sideburns pulled which really hurt. Accessories shouldn't be too eye catchy etc.

High school and Uni is also strict although not as strict as the one in Elementary. Some students didn't like it during that time, but they learned to appreciate it after they became an adult.

Dress Code is fine, especially in school. I've seen some schools who doesn't care about what their students are wearing and so.. some are wearing inappropriate clothes. Looking like a gangster,messy, too sexy,too much make up etc and I don't think it looks good.

What kind of elementary school kids have sideburns? Also, how would they punish the girls?
Mar 8, 2016 4:12 PM

Dec 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
Nunnally03 said:

What kind of elementary school kids have sideburns? Also, how would they punish the girls?
Sideburns for kids (especially girls) were thinner compared to adults, that's why it's easier to pull and it really hurt a lot especially if they pulled it for more than 10 seconds.
If they don't have sideburns (which is very rare that time) then they will hit your hands or nails with a bamboo stick. Actually this is better than the side burn punishment.
Mar 9, 2016 8:44 AM

Jul 2014
s_enpaiternal said:
So... Was there actual pot on the sleeve or was it just a depiction of pot?
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Mar 9, 2016 9:29 AM

Nov 2015
Okay, dude, I'm not like super conservative or anything (in fact the exact opposite) but sphagetti straps within school premises aren't cool. Neither are shorts.

In fact I'm actually surprised you got dress coded for a fucking pot leaf. That's just stupid fam...

And where exactly do you live?
I did two years of my high school near San Diego and for them anything would do as long as it doesn't show off too much skin, same goes for boys as well. You wouldn't be caught for wearing a fucking Canibal Corpse T-Shirt, forget about the pot leaf..

And no, you don't have to dress like a nun, just clothes that would seem appropriate for school environment because workplaces have even tighter rules.

But I do get your point though, teachers aren't really capable of passing fair judgement. It usually depends on how often went to church or something like that.
It's fucking stupid...
This is why I like colder weather..
Mar 9, 2016 12:35 PM

Jul 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
ashishkaull said:

I'v always seen those gym clothes and been confused on how they even got put into practice in the first place, they seem so completely against the norm of what schools would usually allow. Schools would usually have like 100 different rules stating you can't wear anything short at all and then you got schools in Japan giving girls these gym clothes as the norm.
Mar 9, 2016 1:01 PM
Jul 2018
My dress code is to always be fabulous.
Mar 9, 2016 3:00 PM

Jan 2016
Rothion said:
s_enpaiternal said:

It was the classic drawn on pot leaf symbol and it said 420 next to it. Lol. no there wasnt a literal pot leaf stapled onto my shirt
<Marisol>
Mar 9, 2016 3:02 PM

Jan 2016
GesuYarou said:
Okay, dude, I'm not like super conservative or anything (in fact the exact opposite) but sphagetti straps within school premises aren't cool. Neither are shorts.

In fact I'm actually surprised you got dress coded for a fucking pot leaf. That's just stupid fam...

And where exactly do you live?
I did two years of my high school near San Diego and for them anything would do as long as it doesn't show off too much skin, same goes for boys as well. You wouldn't be caught for wearing a fucking Canibal Corpse T-Shirt, forget about the pot leaf..

And no, you don't have to dress like a nun, just clothes that would seem appropriate for school environment because workplaces have even tighter rules.

But I do get your point though, teachers aren't really capable of passing fair judgement. It usually depends on how often went to church or something like that.
It's fucking stupid...
This is why I like colder weather..

I live in the Inland Empire.. I honestly dont see the problem with skin I mean we all have bodies but whatevs to each their own
<Marisol>
Mar 9, 2016 3:15 PM

Jul 2014
s_enpaiternal said:
Rothion said:

It was the classic drawn on pot leaf symbol and it said 420 next to it. Lol. no there wasnt a literal pot leaf stapled onto my shirt
I was like wtf, why would someone be so careless as to leave a loose leaf on the sweater and go out in public with it lol.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!

More topics from this board

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 3 hours ago

7 by DesuMaiden »»
14 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

26 by deg »»
26 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 9 hours ago

7 by TibetanJazz666 »»
45 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Yesterday

12 by Lightskynight »»
52 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - 4 hours ago

6 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.