Forum Settings
Forums

Do you have a preference toward shows with original content or shows that have some source like manga/LN/VN adaptations?

New
Mar 7, 2016 5:52 PM

Feb 2011
And why do you feel that way?

The reason I ask is that I was browsing reviews and saw Glass Reflection's 25 recommended list, and I realized how I only like a handful of them and didnt really care for a lot of "classics" or "must watches" like Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, anything by Miyazaki/Mamoru Hosoda, etc.

And then I realized that most of these were anime originals, without a previous LN or Manga or Visual Novel base. And then I looked at my top 10 and 8 of them were not anime originals but something that had been based off another. Even looking further at my top 14, it still stayed very dominantly based on a source. And I think that makes a lot of sense since a lot of those anime have a source to work off. They have dialogue preset, an easier estimate of flow and whatlot points are necessary, cant pull bs as easily, etc. Thoughts?
DragonMar 9, 2016 6:15 PM
Mar 7, 2016 6:02 PM

Nov 2015
Well I guess manga adaptations do tend to be better and usually vn adaptations tend to suck but I don't think it's source material makes much of a difference.

It solely depends on how the studio handles the content. If you take a look at my favorites it pretty much has all of these.

I'm guessing original content have an upper hand in many ways because they aren't obliged to stick to any source material..
Mar 7, 2016 6:11 PM

Jan 2008
Doesn't matter as long as I enjoyed it. Though I am inclined to say I badly generalize LN and VN adaptions just because of how the majority of them are these days.
Mar 7, 2016 6:47 PM

Sep 2013
I massively prefer adaptations from manga. Not only do they usually actually end, manga are significantly more often licensed in North America as well as readily available on the net thanks to the efforts of scanlators. LN's, not anywhere near as much in every regard.
Mar 7, 2016 6:51 PM

Dec 2012
I have a preference only for shows that are good and entertaining, the source doesn't matter.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 7, 2016 7:03 PM

Sep 2015
If I'm not familiar with the source material, then no.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Mar 7, 2016 7:04 PM

Apr 2013
LN adaptions give me cancer, especially if I know the source material.

All LN readers know my pain.

VN adaptions are the same grade.

Manga adaptions usually turn out to be fine/decent.

But out of the four options, I choose manga adaptions. Anime originals don't usually work out for me.
Mar 7, 2016 11:56 PM

Apr 2013
No, most of the time I don't even know if there is source material or not.
Mar 8, 2016 12:17 AM

May 2015
I never dug deep into that, and I don't really care. The connection between the source material and the adaptation are overrated. The purpose of the anime is to be good. It can do whatever changes it wants so long as it has a purpose for doing so.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 8, 2016 12:29 AM

Nov 2012
i tend to avoid most LN/VN adaptation because most of them don't really appeal to me, but besides that i don't really have a preference.
Mar 8, 2016 12:35 AM
Jul 2018
animu industry often ruins my expectation in LN adaptation, so yeah, absolutely i prefer original source to the adaptation
Mar 8, 2016 12:36 AM

Aug 2015
Original is the best. Take Charlotte for example
Mar 8, 2016 12:38 AM

Oct 2014
Out of my favourites 3 are manga based and stay true to the manga, 5 are based off manga but have some, most, or all original content (Love Live 2 is an anime original sequel), 1 is anime original, and 1 is based on a light novel.
Mar 8, 2016 12:45 AM
Jul 2018
Z-Dante said:
Original is the best. Take Charlotte for example
It is not. Jun Maeda doesn't learn his lesson regarding one cour anime pacing issue.
Mar 8, 2016 12:54 AM

Jul 2015
My 10s are all anime originals right now. KlK, Utena, NGE, FLCL. I'm not saying the opposite is impossible, but I still need to see - I have high hopes for Planetes.
Mar 8, 2016 1:02 AM

Jul 2015
Well, as long as the anime is good or i enjoy it, i'm ok.
Sometimes it's better having adaptions from manga/ln/vn, but there might be filler episodes/arcs if the anime comes very close to the manga/ln/vn. This does not happen to anime with original content, but the story might not be as good as the adapted anime.
Mar 8, 2016 1:07 AM
Jan 2015
I prefer VN/LN adaptations and original anime .

well , for VN/LN , I always watch the anime first ,and then watch the original VN/LN if it is interesting, so the lack of details at animation didn't bother me too much,because I can still read the LN/VN later for the details.

for manga , I'm more of a manga reader than anime watcher , so I always read the manga first before the anime , may be that's why I'm a bit biased towards manga adaptation for their lack of details or skip too many things.Of course , there is many good adaptations too ,but I still prefer LN/VN especially at romance department , LN characters tends to have a deeper flesh of personality.
frankykun13Mar 8, 2016 1:11 AM
Mar 8, 2016 1:12 AM
Jan 2015
No preference for me, I generally only go for stuff that I'll think will be good or might be entertaining, so having or not having source material generally doesn't concern me.
My Queens

Mar 8, 2016 2:48 AM

Oct 2011
I don't really have a preference between the two, if the synopsis sounds interesting then I'll give it a shot.
Mar 8, 2016 3:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Generally speaking LN and VN adaptations tend to be a lot worse compared to their source materials whereas manga adaptations tend to be more tolerable

Originals are still the best though because they obviously don't have anything skipped from their source materials because... well they are the source themselves
Mar 8, 2016 3:09 AM

Apr 2010
The problems with adapting manga\LN (not sure about games, though) is that they tend to have open ending. That's the only thing which can bother me in that aspect.

Mar 8, 2016 3:34 AM
May 2009
In the end it doesn't matter.

Only problem is when the anime stops when the source continues.
Mar 8, 2016 5:04 AM

May 2015
If it's based on a source, I typically check out what people think of the source before I go and watch the anime. If it's a low rated source it'll probably be a shit anime.

If it's original, there's nothing to be based off, so it's more intriguing tbh.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Mar 8, 2016 9:11 AM

Apr 2015
I prefer originals extremely much. Any adaptation feels like a second rate mix, even if it isn't, and it's hard to think of it as an independent artistic statement in most cases

But there are a lot of original shite too, PA famously made two trash series in the last couple of years, so that preference only applies to watchable series
Mar 8, 2016 11:17 AM
Dec 2014
my order
original>manga>LN>VN>Game
Mar 8, 2016 11:25 AM

Apr 2013
I generally prefer manga adaptations or original anime. Most light novels are just the same thing as the last one, though there are some rare exceptions.

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Mar 8, 2016 11:28 AM

Oct 2014
Manga adaptations and originals tend to be the best. Most VN/LN adaptations are just self-insert, fanservice filled crap.
Mar 8, 2016 12:17 PM
Jul 2018
Partial to LN and VN adaptations, even if LN is the most disrespected medium in the anime community and the adaptations never get the love they merit by studios. Original Content is overrated, I can count on one hand the number of great ones I've seen in the last couple of years. I respect the attempts though.
Mar 8, 2016 12:26 PM
Oct 2014
To me, it doesn't matter, EXCEPT:

The show has to stand on its own. It can have inside jokes or other elements from the original source as a bonus to those familiar with the source, as long as that familiarity isn't necessary to enjoy the show.

In other words, the show should ALWAYS assume that the viewers have not read the manga/LN/VN.

(Note that this does not mean they should feel free to take liberties that alienate the fans of the original source)
Mar 8, 2016 12:30 PM

Jun 2012
The only show I'm excited to see next season is Mayoiga, an anime original. Take that for what it's worth.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 8, 2016 1:29 PM

Oct 2015
A lot of us, like myself, haven't read the source material for a lot of these anime adaptations... so, on that basis, I'm neutral.
Mar 9, 2016 12:50 PM

Jan 2016
Not really. All I want is a good anime to watch. The source doesn't matter as long as the anime holds my attention.
Mar 9, 2016 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
I like shows that have another source because after I finish with the anime I can sometimes go to the manga/light novel/VN and find new stuff to experience. Stuff that wasn't animated.
Mar 9, 2016 7:24 PM

May 2012
I generally prefer original productions. I find many adaptations unsatisfying because they are advertisements for the source material and often do not end conclusively. (I'm looking at you, Claymore.) I also prefer not having to listen to people familiar with the source complaining about the adaptation in forum discussions about the anime. Since I never read manga or Japanese novels, I'm interested solely in what I see on the screen, not the source material.
Mar 9, 2016 7:44 PM

Jan 2015
Looking at my top ten, seven are original sources. (The other three being NHK, HxH, and Log Horizon)

So it's probably safe to say that I prefer original anime. They're built, right from the get-go, to work specifically in the medium of animation, which seems to end up better than adapting a medium comprised of non-moving images (manga), interactive elements (games and VNs), or words (VNs and LNs) into anime.
Mar 10, 2016 8:53 AM

Apr 2013
Partyu said:
Looking at my top ten, seven are original sources. (The other three being NHK, HxH, and Log Horizon)

So it's probably safe to say that I prefer original anime. They're built, right from the get-go, to work specifically in the medium of animation, which seems to end up better than adapting a medium comprised of non-moving images (manga), interactive elements (games and VNs), or words (VNs and LNs) into anime.

Perfect Blue was based on a novel. So it's 6 original, 3 novels adaptation and 1 manga adaptation.
I'd say looking at your top 10 may not be a sample large enough to decide, honestly.
Mar 10, 2016 8:58 AM
May 2009
Wouldn't it depend on how a work is adapted rather than what the source was?
Mar 10, 2016 8:59 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i don't read manga or light novels, so i wouldn't know
Mar 10, 2016 9:12 AM

Jan 2015
Zefyris said:
Partyu said:

Perfect Blue was based on a novel. So it's 6 original, 3 novels adaptation and 1 manga adaptation.
I'd say looking at your top 10 may not be a sample large enough to decide, honestly.

Forgot about Perfect Blue, whoops. Though isn't it more of a loose adaption? In that way, I don't really consider it to be in the same vein as the other three, but I guess that's a whole other discussion.

Yeah, I can agree on that part. (Maybe, in the near future, I'll compile the average scores I give for each source. Not really feeling like it now.)
Mar 10, 2016 10:16 AM

Mar 2016
For me it doesn't matter. As long as I´m enjoyed I will watch it. However something I that bother me is when a Anime based on a manga, LN ect do not really end and if you wont to konw the real ending read the original material.
Mar 10, 2016 10:18 AM

May 2012
shintai88 said:
Wouldn't it depend on how a work is adapted rather than what the source was?

Yes, if the original source material is complete before being animated. What I find frustrating are shows designed more or less as advertisements for the source with unresolved endings. Of course even completed works can be better adapted or worse adapted, but adaptations that are designed knowing that the underlying story will continue on are annoying. I mentioned Claymore above; Rokka no Yuusha is another example. I suspect in some cases the production committee expected to release more than one season, but the financial return on the first season didn't justify a continuing investment.

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 10 hours ago

9 by LenRea »»
35 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

92 by JaniSIr »»
36 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Yesterday

49 by fae »»
36 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by Ratris_Decision »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.