Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
#1
Jan 4, 2010 6:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 132
I know this seems like an obvious answer question but in all honesty I'm completely confused. Which comes first?
 
#2
Jan 4, 2010 6:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5603
Moved to series discussion.

Hellsing is the old original series, which diverged in to an "anime original" story after a few episodes. Hellsing Ultimate are newer OVAs that are manga loyal, and rather more gritty. It's not a matter of sequels or prequels or anything, Ultimate is a remake that is more loyal to the original story.
 
#3
Jan 4, 2010 6:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 132
Asako said:
Moved to series discussion.

Hellsing is the old original series, which diverged in to an "anime original" story after a few episodes. Hellsing Ultimate are newer OVAs that are manga loyal, and rather more gritty. It's not a matter of sequels or prequels or anything, Ultimate is a remake that is more loyal to the original story.


OOOooooOOoohhhh I see! So I need to watch both then! :) Well Asako I thank you again for helping me in such a quick manner.
 
#4
Jan 11, 2010 10:03 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
Hm. Watch the original series and then watch the DVDs my friend lent me, or just go straight to the DVDs of Hellsing Ultimate....

At least I know now that it will cover the same things, in a fashion, but what about spoiler-wise? Would watching the original first make the Ultimate series less enjoyable?
Then again, if I watch Hellsing Ultimate first, it sounds like the original Hellsing might be a bit of a let down. Does the original diverge enough that it can be watched independently? *flail* Recommendation?
 
#5
Jan 11, 2010 10:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2412
Hellsing Ultimate becomes 100% different from ep 3 and on so don't think it would make it less enjoyable to watch the original first. you could watch it by itself but if you like it should watch Ultimate anyway.
 
#6
Jan 11, 2010 12:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 132
So basically Hellsing Ultimate is like to Hellsing as Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is to Full Metal Alchemist?
 
#7
Jan 11, 2010 12:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2412
basically for the most part
 
#8
Jun 3, 2010 10:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3179
My advice? Watch Hellsing first.. then divulge yourself and watch Hellsing Ultimate.

Hellsing Ultimate has some elements of the original series... but nothing too telling (There are MANY differences.). When you watch Hellsing Ultimate you will be blown away. I am certain of that. So why not watch them as they were presented? Watch Hellsing first, which is good/great... THEN go into Hellsing Ultimate which is immaculate/incredible!!
 
#9
Aug 6, 2016 11:13 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 7
Ummm, Should I watch Hellsing: The Dawn (a 3 episode special) that's apparently the prequel to "Hellsing Ultimate" or can I just start "Hellsing Ultimate" like it is?
 
Mar 15, 7:31 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 15
dangerscoming said:
Ummm, Should I watch Hellsing: The Dawn (a 3 episode special) that's apparently the prequel to "Hellsing Ultimate" or can I just start "Hellsing Ultimate" like it is?

I was hoping to find an answer to this too, but I hadn't any luck. It's sad to see this thread just died out.
Bumping it in case anyone can/wants to provide an answer.
 
Mar 16, 5:13 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 7
Lun0s said:
dangerscoming said:
Ummm, Should I watch Hellsing: The Dawn (a 3 episode special) that's apparently the prequel to "Hellsing Ultimate" or can I just start "Hellsing Ultimate" like it is?

I was hoping to find an answer to this too, but I hadn't any luck. It's sad to see this thread just died out.
Bumping it in case anyone can/wants to provide an answer.


Ow god wow, this is ancient. And I kind of don't care at this point hahaha, I already watched Hellsing.
 
Mar 16, 8:22 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 15
dangerscoming said:
Lun0s said:

I was hoping to find an answer to this too, but I hadn't any luck. It's sad to see this thread just died out.
Bumping it in case anyone can/wants to provide an answer.


Ow god wow, this is ancient. And I kind of don't care at this point hahaha, I already watched Hellsing.

I still want to know though, whether I should watch the prequel OVA before or after Hellsing Ultimate.
I mean, even if it's a prequel chronologically, there might be pacing issues or whatever, so I want to make sure before jumping in.
 
Jul 7, 11:34 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 8
Isaristh said:
So basically Hellsing Ultimate is like to Hellsing as Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is to Full Metal Alchemist?
I haven't seen Full Metal Alchemist but have seen Berserk, could we say Hellsing Ultimate is Berserk: The Golden Age Arc and Hellsing is to Berserk in this analogy?

I had originally through the Golden Age Arc was a sequel but nope, basically a full reboot of the series in 3 movies that's supposedly more faithful to the manga. However when I watched it, I notice they cut some things out that I thought was kinda nice to have seen and not missed out, as the origina series fleshed it out by explaining it better which the supposed faithful adaption did less of.

So from that I would assume the original Hellsing might explain or flesh out things better than Ultimate reboot that's more faithful to the manga, since it's got more episodes to do so or are those extra episodes just pointless filler?
 
Top