Forum Settings
Forums

When rating an anime series, how great of an impact does the art style have on that score?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 9, 2016 2:24 AM

Jul 2011
Does that mean Akagi can never get a high score because its art style is so bizarre?
And this brings in the question: Akagi (and Kaiji)'s art style seem as much a stylistic choice - but it's hard to look at. So does that mean I should rate it down?

Art influences whether or not I watch a show. But once I get into it, it's not something I consciously care about. However, art style can contribute to the mood and atmosphere of the story, and how well I can be absorbed into what it's telling me. So subconsciously, if it is affecting my enjoyment, then as a person who rates based on enjoyment, then yes it does indirectly affect it.
Tumblr: Gigglepud
My one rec for anyone who likes good storytelling: Play Zero Escape/Ai the Somnium Files
Mar 9, 2016 3:07 AM

Jun 2013
I'm ok as long as the art style suits the anime & the thing it's trying to be, but it doesnt have much say on my ratings.

The only anime I recently dropped because of art style was Prison school.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Mar 9, 2016 4:41 AM

Mar 2015
InnocentVillain said:
Kuma said:
yes they are. people who said otherwise is people who never experienced true art like utsu musume sayuri, shitcom, born by my self, nami, malice @doll, fetish doll, bacterial contamination, abunai sisters, ningen doubutsuen, ETC.

Don't forget the greatest one ninja slayer, yeeaarrrrt for life.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

and don't forget their successor, inferno cop!
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 9, 2016 9:48 AM

May 2015
Ksuga said:
Not really. But I did drop a couple of series a while ago because of the art style. I've picked them up again and enjoyed those after a while though. The aversion kind of went away after seeing many shows; some shows need different art styles, which is fine :P

It's not enough for an art style just to be different. It needs to look good. The most offensive are art styles which are neither unique, nor pretty like Durarara (what horrible character design). Sure, Ping Pong doesn't look good aesthetically but I can forgive that because the style is unique enough. Durarara's design looks like they put no effort in it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 9, 2016 9:57 AM
Jul 2015
For me, the art style have no importances. I rather care about the story and the enjoyment, maybe the characters have a particular importance, but really not the art style. Of course, I have some favorite art styles but it doesn't increase the score.
Mar 9, 2016 10:06 AM

Feb 2016
I would say moderate impact. I prefer minimalistic animation style of faces (less edges, almost no nose, etc.), which some call "new style". I might give a higher score just because of my preference of animation style.
Mar 9, 2016 10:11 AM

Aug 2015
It's not that important for me. Bad animation is one of the easiest things to forgive if a show is good.
Mar 9, 2016 10:16 AM

Jun 2015
The art does have a big impact on my rating. I feel that the animation and the art play major roles in the story.

Ex. Attack on Titan has a gridy shadow texture to show how rigid the anime is.

This may be one example, but their are many more.
For me, the art is a story itself and will always have a role in the rating themselves. I should say that the art is more of a much needed add-on because anime is made to be visually stimulating.

I would like to add that in the Reviews of MAL there is an Art rating box of 1-10. I feel that art in the anime world is a topic since this is a factor ( as well as many more)
KubbyezMar 9, 2016 10:19 AM
Mar 9, 2016 10:23 AM

Dec 2015
Fairly trivial.
If a show has art appalling enough, I'll probably be able to tell from the pictures on it's page on MAL, and will be less likely to take it up. But once I've started watching the show, it's almost irrelevant.
I'm sure it's an important aspect of an anime, but I've never really cared much.
As far as I'm concerned, the art just needs to be good enough to be able to handle the story-telling.
I do not comment on the possibilty that my opinion on the art could affect my enjoyment of the show without my giving the criterion careful thought.
But when I finally rate a show, I don't factor 'personal enjoyment' as a seperate criterion because I know why I like/dislike a show, so whatever the reason is will usually fit into one of the other criteria like story, characters etc. As a result, art is never really factored in.

The only difference I've consciously made to my ratings because of art is to take Sakurako-san which was hovering between a 6 and a 7 to a 7, and bring Ergo Proxy down to 9.
ObliviousOkapiMar 9, 2016 10:27 AM
Mar 9, 2016 10:36 AM

Sep 2014
PabloTheOffender said:

So basically, if it's awful, yes, but if it's meh to great then I don't care too much.
this and I have extreme standards for awful. I think theres 3 shows total where visuals have had a strong negative impact

Mar 9, 2016 1:50 PM

Sep 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Ksuga said:
Not really. But I did drop a couple of series a while ago because of the art style. I've picked them up again and enjoyed those after a while though. The aversion kind of went away after seeing many shows; some shows need different art styles, which is fine :P

It's not enough for an art style just to be different. It needs to look good. The most offensive are art styles which are neither unique, nor pretty like Durarara (what horrible character design). Sure, Ping Pong doesn't look good aesthetically but I can forgive that because the style is unique enough. Durarara's design looks like they put no effort in it.

You have a point there. In some anime the drawings are simply lackluster, which is obviously something that impacts the enjoyment negatively. I just mean that for me bad drawings will make a difference of only 0.5 points in comparison to good drawings (as I like to think that art counts for 7% of the final score)
Mar 10, 2016 12:23 AM

Aug 2015
most of my ratings are low because i don't like the art-style of that certain anime. art really contributes a lot to my ratings.
My hot seat: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1582823
watch me be a huge noob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vav-Cb1biI

megaminx+pyraminx :)
Mar 10, 2016 8:42 AM

May 2015
Ksuga said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You have a point there. In some anime the drawings are simply lackluster, which is obviously something that impacts the enjoyment negatively. I just mean that for me bad drawings will make a difference of only 0.5 points in comparison to good drawings (as I like to think that art counts for 7% of the final score)

Why do you consider art so low in importance? Anime is a visual medium, so I think it should take advantage of these visuals.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

187 by Jackson1333 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

28 by Rinenka »»
11 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

30 by Serafos »»
11 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

39 by Tirinchas »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.