Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 3, 2016 1:56 PM

Oct 2015
I wasn't exactly sure how to word the title for this.

What I'm looking for is anime's that put a high emphasis on the psychological impact of the characters actions or events that are happening in the show.

Examples of what I'm talking about would be,
Steins;Gate , My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, Death Note, Death Parade, Log Horizon.

In terms of Steins;Gate it shows a large psychological impact on the MC from his constant jumping back in time to safe his best friend and that is what sold the show for me was seeing how well they show cased how the impact of his best friend dying over and over again messed with emotionally and psychologically.
For My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, the MC is constantly putting himself in the role of the bad guy, taking on everybody's dislike in order to solve their problems so they can be happy. The impact those actions have on him and the few around him who do care is what I love about this anime.
Death Note, is all about the psychological impact on not just the characters, but the world from Kira's actions to kill off criminals and how it changes Light and those around him on.
Death Parade, ends up focusing on tough questions of who has the right to judge others for what they do and who and how should one choose judge people and what method should they use to judge them by.
Log Horizon, is at its best when its focusing on the psychological impact on the characters that has been created from the situation that they end up in with no way of how to get home.

So what I'm asking for is anime recommendations that focus on psychological impact of the characters / and or the world/environment that they are in.
Mar 3, 2016 1:59 PM

Jan 2016
Welcome to the NHK
Parasyte
Madoka Magica
Just to name a few
Mar 3, 2016 2:02 PM

Feb 2016
Fate Zero is exactly what you're looking for !
If u enjoy it (you will) you can go with other Fate series :)
Mar 3, 2016 2:48 PM

Feb 2013
fate zero +1 (mature characters deathgame) (it has also very sick animation and music. has many good clashes between characters in fighting and talking.... its great)
https://vimeo.com/110054240 (1st opening)

kiseiijuu (a parasyte tries to take over the mc and is stuck in his hand. they need to cooperate to surrive in this messed up world in which parasytes feed on humans and have incredible abilities)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d62TYemN6MQ (opening... the lyrics are great :D)

madoka (very atmospheric anime which is actually a destruction of the magical girl genre. so while all others are happy this is pretty dark at certain moments)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKhPbLliI0 (opening)

adding
shinsekai yori (my eternal #1 in 1000 years humans live in small villages and have telekinetic powers. you follow a group of children who grows there ... at the end of the plot the mc is over 26 years old and the last part is what makes the anime epic. warning: many people drop it in ep 8 because ep 8 consists yaoi and yuri scenes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be0HqIhC48c (it doesnt have an op. but every ep starts with this atmospheric music)

death parade (when people die they get into a bar in which they are forced to play a death game, depending on their performance the barkeeper sends them to either hell or heaven)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjjTMNDZi-A (opening)

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin (prison anime with a group of friends trying to surrive there and helping each other in need. 1st part is epic, 2nd part is still good but not as good as the 1st awesome one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SJ2LZMfeM (opening)

code geass (similar to death note. mc gets an powere. here he can control people through eye contact, and with this power and his tactical brain he starts a revultion towards the allmighty british empire. has also 1 of the best endings i have ever seen in anime)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7zQbMxm28 (opening)

kaiji (mc has a huge debt because he trusted someone and gets forced to play in underground gambling... he is sometimes really clever) some games are really great)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJBgVxpFrE (opening)

btw kiseijuu, deathnote, death parade, rainbow, kaiji are done by madhouse.. great studio
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Mar 3, 2016 3:07 PM

May 2015
Neon Genesis Evanglion is all about the psychology of its main character (but it's an older show and manga is a bit better)
Psycho-Pass is perfect and new
Paranoia Agent
Ergo Proxy
Serial Experiments Lain
Terror in Resonance
Mawaru-Penguindrum
Just Google "best psychological anime" and you'll find them

Mar 3, 2016 3:13 PM

Feb 2013
You just mentioned some of my favourite anime :)

Lot's of great recs in this thread, really can't go wrong.

But I'm surprised noone has mentioned Monster yet. Seriously, go watch it now.
Mar 3, 2016 3:40 PM

Oct 2015
Smooki said:

shinsekai yori (my eternal #1 in 1000 years humans live in small villages and have telekinetic powers. you follow a group of children who grows there ... at the end of the plot the mc is over 26 years old and the last part is what makes the anime epic. warning: many people drop it in ep 8 because ep 8 consists yaoi and yuri scenes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be0HqIhC48c (it doesnt have an op. but every ep starts with this atmospheric music

I just checked out the first episode of it and I have to say that it's already drawing me in! I have zero qualms on yaoi or yuri scenes so that wouldn't make me drop an anime just, because of that.

I also started checking out Welcome to the NHK and need to get a few more episodes in to see how I feel about it overall. It's definitely exactly the type of show that I was asking for though.

I'll also start checking out Monster as well, I've seen that one cropping up in a lot of recommendations that I've seen on other stuff.
Mar 3, 2016 3:44 PM

Feb 2013
Red_Fox09 said:
Smooki said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be0HqIhC48c (it doesnt have an op. but every ep starts with this atmospheric music

I just checked out the first episode of it and I have to say that it's already drawing me in! I have zero qualms on yaoi or yuri scenes so that wouldn't make me drop an anime just, because of that.

I also started checking out Welcome to the NHK and need to get a few more episodes in to see how I feel about it overall. It's definitely exactly the type of show that I was asking for though.

I'll also start checking out Monster as well, I've seen that one cropping up in a lot of recommendations that I've seen on other stuff.

well it has a slow start: P but glad you like it. the atmosphere is unique in ssy ^^
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Mar 3, 2016 4:45 PM

May 2014
People gave you great recommendations already, but I'll add one more: Ghost in the Shell
Mar 3, 2016 5:58 PM

Jul 2009
@Red_Fox09 You already have plentiful of great recommendations here and you should watch them all, really (try Code Geass~). But I would like to leave this one here, because I think it suits really well according to what you requested - Kokoro Connect. It's about a group of friends who have to deal with strange phenomenons happening to them. The depth of characters, the dynamic among them and well done character development will draw you in, go for it when you have time.
Mar 3, 2016 7:56 PM

Jul 2014
Kuuchuu Buranko, Boogiepop Phantom, Paranoia Agent, Lain, xxxHOLiC, Welcome to NHK
Mar 3, 2016 8:12 PM

Jan 2016
no game no life
monster
Mar 3, 2016 8:50 PM

Sep 2015
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Mar 3, 2016 10:30 PM

Mar 2016
Mirai Nikki, above mentioned are all good as well
Mar 3, 2016 10:36 PM

May 2012
+Kuuchuu Buranko

In Ghost Hound the main boy is being treated for PTSD. He and his sister were kidnapped as young children, and she died alongside him.

Shion in Shion no Ou witnesses the brutal murder of her parents at age four and becomes mute as a result.

Neither of these is a spoilers; these events take place at the beginning of both shows.
Mar 4, 2016 6:44 AM
Jul 2015
GA-REI:ZERO :') this anime start pretty much backwards so just be patient they'll tell you everything soon and then just ejkdkckekck hahaha

Elfen Lied and mirai nikki too ^-^

More topics from this board

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
5 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
7 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
10 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - Yesterday

2 by Snailsoup »»
Yesterday, 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.