Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2016 6:05 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Oh I feel like this is going to turn into a cat and mouse game soon. The hunters have arrived~
Mar 2, 2016 10:55 PM

Mar 2015
little all over place chapter. just too many things wrapped.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 3, 2016 1:22 AM

Oct 2009
What if Benio fails the test?

I think they will save Chiiko in the end.
Mar 3, 2016 9:45 AM
Jul 2009
Skullcrusher said:

It wouldn't surprise me. She's actually pretty weak compared to the guy. All she has going for her is speed, while the guy is pretty much the reincarnation of god. lol
Mar 3, 2016 11:00 AM
Mar 2015
1idd0kun said:
Skullcrusher said:

It wouldn't surprise me. She's actually pretty weak compared to the guy. All she has going for her is speed, while the guy is pretty much the reincarnation of god. lol
1idd0kun said:
Skullcrusher said:

And all rokuro has is strenght.
Rokuro (without his god mode) was as strong or slightly stronger than benio and that was before benio got her impurities power like rokuro.
but i can see her failing.
I hope that rokuro isnt the miko since chiika said that abe no seime had mother like feelings when she was with rokuro god mode and we dont who werd rokuros parents,it would be a shame.
Mar 3, 2016 11:23 AM
Jul 2009
lordekomy said:

And all rokuro has is strenght.

Which is a lot more effective than speed against the strongest enemies.

lordekomy said:
Rokuro (without his god mode) was as strong or slightly stronger than benio and that was before benio got her impurities power like rokuro.

Benio's impurity power is shit. In the latest raw a Basara is faster and easily knocks her out. Rokuro on the other hand is able to hold his ground even without god mode. No matter how you look at it, she's far weaker than him.

lordekomy said:
I hope that rokuro isnt the miko since chiika said that abe no seime had mother like feelings when she was with rokuro god mode and we dont who werd rokuros parents,it would be a shame.

Well, even if he's not the Miko, he does have Abe no Seime's superpowers. That kinda reders the whole premiss of the manga pointless though, so I'm not sure why the author decided to give him those powers.
Mar 4, 2016 8:29 PM

Mar 2016
1idd0kun said:
Benio's impurity power is shit. In the latest raw a Basara is faster and easily knocks her out. Rokuro on the other hand is able to hold his ground even without god mode. No matter how you look at it, she's far weaker than him.

Her powers aren't shit. Even during the fight, the basara acknowledged that her new form has the strength that rivals a basara's. Rokuro knocked out after one last powerful punch and Benio knocked out after one last powerful kick, not because of the basara's attack.
Plus, I don't see why you think the basara's attack was stronger since he's the one who lost a leg...
LulupusMar 4, 2016 8:35 PM
Mar 4, 2016 9:15 PM
Jul 2009
Lulupus said:
1idd0kun said:

Her powers aren't shit. Even during the fight, the basara acknowledged that her new form has the strength that rivals a basara's. Rokuro knocked out after one last powerful punch and Benio knocked out after one last powerful kick, not because of the basara's attack.
Plus, I don't see why you think the basara's attack was stronger since he's the one who lost a leg...

I was talking about chapter 26, not chapter 29. Benio got knocked out so fucking easily it was almost a joke. Even Mayura did better than her afterwards.
1idd0kunMar 4, 2016 9:37 PM
Mar 4, 2016 10:10 PM

Mar 2016
1idd0kun said:
I was talking about chapter 26, not chapter 29. Benio got knocked out so fucking easily it was almost a joke. Even Mayura did better than her afterwards.

She's still strong. I'd say that she was only written to collapse quickly for the purpose of bringing out her guardian and to trigger Mayura into fighting seriously.
Mar 4, 2016 10:28 PM
Jul 2009
Lulupus said:
1idd0kun said:

She's still strong. I'd say that she was only written to collapse quickly for the purpose of bringing out her guardian and to trigger Mayura into fighting seriously.

You can try to rationalize it however you want, but the fact is she jobbed hard.
Mar 4, 2016 11:12 PM

Mar 2016
1idd0kun said:
Lulupus said:

You can try to rationalize it however you want, but the fact is she jobbed hard.

My point is that her losing a fight =/= she sucks
what happened to her was only written that way cuz it was convenient for the following events
Mar 4, 2016 11:50 PM
Jul 2009
Lulupus said:

what happened to her was only written that way cuz it was convenient for the following events

You can't prove that.

Ultimately the fact is that she sucked.
Mar 5, 2016 1:11 AM

Mar 2016
1idd0kun said:
You can't prove that.

Ultimately, the fact is that's just an opinion.
And even if I can't prove it, it's a logical explanation for a manga as fast paced as this one, just saying.
LulupusMar 5, 2016 1:16 AM
Mar 5, 2016 6:09 AM
Oct 2014
im sorry this probably has no place here but i was wondering if there is any good English translations of the manga besides manga fox that is up to date? (i wish to read it all before the anime comes out and my Japanese skills arnt good enough to translate)
Mar 5, 2016 8:34 AM
Jul 2009
Lulupus said:
1idd0kun said:
You can't prove that.

It's not a opinion. It's a fact. She sucked.
Mar 12, 2016 7:11 AM
Apr 2010
1idd0kun said:
Lulupus said:

It's not a opinion. It's a fact. She sucked.

This is true, which is probably the greatest problem with the series right now.

I like that the author tries to make them sound equal on paper. He has a impurity arm, she get's impurity legs, he has a Yang god mode, she gets a Yin god mode, but for a battle couple, they are still too far apart in terms of power.

Contrast with Mayura, who gets her father equipment and powers up imensely in only a few chapters.

Not to mention that:
Rokuro
>has a special charm for his arm
>is himself special
>his god mode is somehow connected to Abe No Seimei

Mayura
>huge amouts of energy, which allows her to make excellent barriers
>has one of the most powerful charms

Benio
>can equip several charms at once
>however, none of her charms are all that special and her god mode doesn't seem to be connected to anything in particular

Benio got the short end of the stick so far. She definitely needs a couple of chapters to get some more determination and power up, especially since Rokuro can perfecly go to the island and she can't the way she is.

However she series is still at about 25%-30%, I'd say, so there is still a lot of time for that. But yeah, she really needs a power up.
EnseiMar 12, 2016 9:06 AM
Mar 12, 2016 9:32 AM
Jul 2009
Ensei said:
She definitely needs a couple of chapters to get some more determination and power up, especially since Rokuro can perfecly go to the island and she can't the way she is.

I think you made a good point here. Other than more power, she needs more determination. She's pretty weak-willed and gives up too easily when facing really strong enemies. She needs to learn from Rokuro to never give up, to stand up right away no matter how much she's hurting and how strong the enemy is. In fact, even Mayura seemed to have more determination than Benio.
Mar 12, 2016 10:14 AM
Apr 2010
1idd0kun said:
Ensei said:
She definitely needs a couple of chapters to get some more determination and power up, especially since Rokuro can perfecly go to the island and she can't the way she is.

I think you made a good point here. Other than more power, she needs more determination. She's pretty weak-willed and gives up too easily when facing really strong enemies. She needs to learn from Rokuro to never give up, to stand up right away no matter how much she's hurting and how strong the enemy is. In fact, even Mayura seemed to have more determination than Benio.

Well, Rokuro is both the determinator and the core MC, so I think that in terms of powers and determination he can be left out of pretty much all conversations.

And Mayura was bit by the "I want to catch up to them" bug, and even so she received her father's charm, which is 70% of why she is where she is right now (and the Basara ended up winning without breaking a sweat).

And it's not that Benio is weak-willed. She accepted Kamui's power and won, she decided to fight her brother and go to the island to persue him, but most of her scenes since then have been more about her feelings towards Rokuro than anything else, not even thinking about her own power level or the challenge of the island, while Rokuro only thinks about moving forward.

What I meant by determination was the "catching up" stuff. Facing that she is weak as she is, that she can't go to the island, that the whole thing about how she wanted to hold Rokuro's hands (which she was planning to tell him after the fight, which kinda raised a flag) can't happen the way she is now, that she failed to protect Sayo and Mayura and do something about it. However, I also think that she jobbed pretty hard at the beginning in order for Mayura to have the spotlight AND to introduce her Yin Mode.

The series moves pretty fast, so it's not something that would take a lot of time. Besides, seeing has the Resonance is a pretty important aspect (and Rokuro's light god mode having a Yang tatoo and Benio's dark god having a Yin tatto + the 5 seals being upside down isn't a coincidence), she HAS to get stronger and move fowards with Rokuro.

There is so much stuff she can have right now. A general's charm, a Seigen charm for her legs, some other special charm (since Rokuro and Mayura have one), some connection to Kuzunoha (like Sayo's power, since she is the only character to fight using a Fox mask and Kuzunoha was a fox-faced youkai), slowly turing into a Basara and using that power as a side effect of her Yin mode.

The focus of the story is obviously on the both of them and Benio is in a slump, so I doubt that it will take long before the author does something about it, but it can be hard to wait for it since it's a montly series.
EnseiMar 12, 2016 10:31 AM
Mar 12, 2016 10:53 AM
Jul 2009
Ensei said:
Well, Rokuro is both the determinator and the core MC, so I think that in terms of powers and determination he can be left out of pretty much all conversations.

Usually, that would be the case, but this manga was billed as the story of the Twin Star Exorcists. If they make Rokuro stand out alone, then that premise goes out of the windows. Rokuro and Benio should be more equal, both in power and determination, otherwise the whole Twin Star premise doesn't make sense. If Rokuro is a determinator, Benio needs to become one too, or she'll never truly catch up to him.

Ensei said:
However, I also think that she jobbed pretty hard at the beginning in order for Mayura to have the spotlight AND to introduce her Yin Mode.

It's not the first time she jobbed. In the very beginning of the manga, she was about to get killed by an impurity and had to be saved by Rokuro, who one-shot the impurity. Then against Yuuto she jobbed hard again, and Yuuto was dissing her the whole time, saying only Rokuro was a worthy opponent and she sucked ass. Then she got a power up from Kamui, only to start jobbing again after 15 seconds. In the end, she had to be saved by Rokuro again. And then in chapter 26 she was knocked out by Higano so easily it was almost a joke. But like I said, she has been consistently weak against strong enemies since the beginning.

Ensei said:
The focus of the story is obviously on the both of them

I disagree on this. They might have comparable screen-time, but they're not equally relevant. Rokuro gets more focus in the form of being the one to take the decisions. Note that he's almost always the one taking the decisions while Benio just follows behind. He was the one who decided to fight Yuuto, and also to go rescue Sayo. Not once has Benio expressed any initiative of her own as part of the team. The only time she made a decision of her own was when she went to fight Kamui, but she went solo and ended having to be rescued. Other than that, she's just a follower.

Ensei said:
Benio is in a slump, so I doubt that it will take long before the author does something about it, but it can be hard to wait for it since it's a montly series.

I don't think it's a slump. She has been like this since the beginning. And I'm not sure that's going to change any time soon.
Mar 12, 2016 11:22 AM
Apr 2010
1idd0kun said:

I don't think it's a slump. She has been like this since the beginning. And I'm not sure that's going to change any time soon.

Why not? If
that could be an excellent catalyst for everyone to improve, after the apropriate
and down time. And it would make a pretty good character arc for her.

And I do agree that Rokuro has been the decision maker 100% of the time, which was painfully made obvious with the whole island thing. Sure, we know that Benio also wants to go because of both Rokuro and Yuuto, but it would be nice to actually hear her form her own reason and speak it, even if we already know it.

Jobbing aside, since Rokuro is supposed to the the energetic one, she's been very passive for a long while now, which I get fits her character, but some assertion besides just agreeing with Rokuro would be very welcome.

I just hope the author takes the appropriate steps to make the show live up to the billing of the Twin Star Exorcists.

I think he thinks he's doing that, at least on paper, which is what I meant by the focus being on both of them.
>Balanced screen time
>Resonance team battles
>Them being an obvious battle couple in the making
>Impurity arms and legs
>Yuuto being a catalyst for both characters
>Yin-Yang God Modes

It's like he tries to balance them out, but she ends up being much weaker than expected and him much stronger.

Which is to say, the author definitely has her on his mind and isn't forgetting her, but the direction isn't the best.

He really needs to raise Benio's rank in terms of both power and non-passive attitute to, as you said, make her stand out and increase her relevance aside from making Rokuro want to be an exorcist again, even if in the end she still ends up being the most passive of the two. It's a shame that the author has been using her weakness not as something she sees and needs to work on, but something he can use to make other characters stand out more.

I still think that sooner rather than later she'll get her own serious power up.

In the end, it's might just be a shame. The series has a lot of potencial and managed to capitalize from some of it, but if the unbalance continues and Benio turns simply into a damsel in distress and lags behind both Rokuro and Mayura, I'll sadly drop it.

Since the island is the next step the author has three choices:
>He goes and she stays, which taking into account the screen time they have shared and the general structure so far seems like an unlikely choice.
>She changes, which to me seems more likely.
>She goes the way she is, which only means that she'll be forced to change when something goes wrong (which might be what Sayo even serves for.)

I know this might sound cold, but I really hope
showing that crap hits the fan and serving as a cornerstone to self reflection, powering up and better determination for everyone.

It seems that lately every character I come to like either jobs, doesn't power up along the rest of the cast, lacks some sort of determination the others have or somehow ends up lagging behind. Talk about rotten luck.
EnseiMar 12, 2016 12:27 PM
Nov 13, 2017 9:28 PM

Dec 2016
Damn I feel really bad for Chiko, but with these two new, and probably powerful, Kegare approaching, she's not really going to get a lot of time to rest.
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 8, 2018 5:18 AM

Jan 2018
He looks fucking badass in that Seimei form.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousei no Onmyouji Chapter 129 Discussion

ARK-13 - Apr 3

1 by landofthekwt »»
Apr 8, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Sousei no Onmyouji Chapter 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2014

9 by CronoGlasses »»
Apr 6, 2:45 PM

Poll: » Sousei no Onmyouji Chapter 128 Discussion

ARK-13 - Mar 3

2 by Yuri_NakamuraAB »»
Mar 5, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Sousei no Onmyouji Chapter 127 Discussion

ARK-13 - Feb 1

1 by landofthekwt »»
Feb 4, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Sousei no Onmyouji Chapter 126 Discussion

ARK-13 - Jan 9

2 by Valliyn »»
Jan 14, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.