Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 2, 2016 11:49 AM

Oct 2014
Do you think that anime such as Mars of Destruction, Sword Art Online, and Ore Twintails are bad in different ways? Do things like budget and intent affect your perception of an anime? Is it better for an anime to be deliberately bad than to attempt to be good and fail completely? Do you think less about an overrated average anime than you do about an underrated average anime (mediocre vs. decent)?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 2, 2016 11:51 AM

Sep 2015
There's 3 bads for me. Bad, not that bad, bad that it's good.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Mar 2, 2016 11:53 AM

Feb 2013
dae think anime is literally shit? xDDDD especially sao xDD
pupa and charlote sitting in a tree k i s s i n g
Mar 2, 2016 11:56 AM

Apr 2013
Mar 2, 2016 11:56 AM

Aug 2015
My bad types of bad :
1- Average
2- Not Good
3- Bad
4- Very bad
5- Terrible
6- Total Garbage / sh¡t

However , all these falls into 1 category - Trash: Would ask everyone to stay away from them.

And my favorite : So bad , it's good
Mar 2, 2016 12:01 PM

Nov 2015
-Senpai- said:
Basically this..
But I'd like to add painful in there as well..
Mar 2, 2016 12:02 PM

Aug 2014
There is bad and...nope, there is only one kind of bad and that just simply means it's bad. Nothing more or less.
Mar 2, 2016 12:03 PM

May 2015
My definition of bad is basically bad, so bad it's good, and horrible- the old TV Tropes system. Most anime that I thought were boring, stupid, had poor worldbuilding or unlikeable characters, or any of a multitude of other problems go in bad. Trainwrecks fare a bit better to me because it's impossible to take them seriously. However, I save my worst rating for shows that outright offend me (SAO, Black Bullet, etc.)

I also tend to judge popular shows that I don't like differently than shows I don't like that nobody likes. For example, I think Clannad is much worse than something like Gakusen Toshi Asterisk (both of which I gave the same score) because the first is constantly praised as a masterpiece while everybody watches the second just to make fun of it.
TyrelMar 2, 2016 4:50 PM
Mar 2, 2016 12:05 PM

Jun 2012
I tend to think about what makes a story bad more than I think about the different kinds of bad. If I can analyze and decide on what aspects a certain show performs in a subpar way and how often it fails to meet the basic standards that I hold to the genre it belongs to, I can then choose whether or not it should be considering awful or bad.

But if we're going to just name degrees of bad, I guess I would say that I see it as disgusting, horrible, awful and bad.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 2, 2016 12:15 PM
Dec 2014
The Appleseed OVA eng dub was so full of swears that it made me laugh and felt cheesy. Made into a trashy but good ova. In combination with athe actions and the interesting setting and cool action it was awesome. But this is very rare and the absolute exception.
Mar 2, 2016 12:18 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
im not really the kind of person who calls anime "bad"

just cause i don't like something doesn't make it bad, the fact will always be someone else likes it

however, "so bad its good" is like mars of destruction
Mar 2, 2016 12:20 PM

Feb 2016
I'd say there's bad but a guilty pleasure I secretly enjoy and keep to myself, aaand just plain bad. But I'd be more likely to watch a anime with bad story but good animation than anime with good story and bad animation. Dunno why tho, I wish it was other way around :3
Mar 2, 2016 12:39 PM

Sep 2015
Mine range from "this is pure shit" to "this was disappointing".
All anime I deem to be below average fall somewhere in that range.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 2, 2016 12:54 PM

Oct 2013
Bad is bad. They are all the same. You've rated all those series below a 5 rate op? Then you should not distinguished them differently then. Its just retarded.
Mar 2, 2016 12:57 PM

Jun 2013
Damn, if this isn't your cutest bait right here~ didn't you already do one some time ago?

Nor sao or twintail are 'so bad so good' shows but yea you got one right, Mars is indeed one of the few 'so bad so funny'.
Mar 2, 2016 1:00 PM

Oct 2014
keragamming said:
Bad is bad. They are all the same. You've rated all those series below a 5 rate op? Then you should not distinguished them differently then. Its just retarded.
I gave MoD a 1, SAO a 4, and Twintails a 7. I do consider them to all be bad anime, but I actually really enjoyed Twintails despite how stupid the concept was and how much I had to suspend my disbelief.
Mar 2, 2016 1:14 PM

Oct 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
keragamming said:
I gave MoD a 1, SAO a 4, and Twintails a 7. I do consider them to all be bad anime, but I actually really enjoyed Twintails despite how stupid the concept was and how much I had to suspend my disbelief.

I don't think you should call Twintails a bad series, simple because its concept isn't normal.
Mar 2, 2016 1:15 PM

Sep 2015
tragedydesu said:
or fujobait trash like Shugo Chara!

Shugo Chara! barely has fujoshi fandom. I've never seen yaoi of it to be honest.

For me, there are enjoyable bad shows and not enjoyable bad shows.
Mahou Sensou was terrible, but it managed to keep me interested in what dumb thing will happen next. Call it "so bad that it's good".
Diabolik lovers was also terrible, but in a different level. I was actually raging at the script. I didn't get any fun from watching it. 0/10, worst anime ever.

You just lost the game
Mar 2, 2016 1:26 PM

Jul 2013
They are two types of bad for me; the "simple bad" (Mahouka, Guilty Crown...), and the even worse bad of Utsu Musume Sayuri, Shitcom...
Mar 2, 2016 2:59 PM

Dec 2012
Basically there is:

(5) Not Really Good/So So - Not a total waste, but kind of lame and forgettable
(4) Weak - Very badly put together and full of flaws, wish I'd done something else with my time
(3) Bad - There is little I can say that is good about this I hated just about everything
(2) Awful/Horrible - Abomination that should be avoided at all costs, has no redeeming value
(1) Worst Ever/Shit - Completely unwatchable or extremely offensive garbage
KruszerMar 2, 2016 3:05 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 2, 2016 3:35 PM

Jun 2015
-Senpai- said:

Yeah, like Tokyo Ghoul is so bad that its good... SAO is not that bad, and One Piece is bad....

Kruszer said:
Basically there is:

(5) Not Really Good/So So - Not a total waste, but kind of lame and forgettable
(4) Weak - Very badly put together and full of flaws, wish I'd done something else with my time
(3) Bad - There is little I can say that is good about this I hated just about everything
(2) Awful/Horrible - Abomination that should be avoided at all costs, has no redeeming value
(1) Worst Ever/Shit - Completely unwatchable or extremely offensive garbage

OMG! I JUST REMEMBERED THE DEVIL MAY CRY adaptation I cannot unsee that.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost."
Mar 2, 2016 3:38 PM

Sep 2015
@Marlonv1 No, Tokyo Gould it's so good that it's good.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Mar 2, 2016 3:39 PM

May 2015
Twintails is the "absolutely stupid in every way but it doesn't try to not be stupid fun" kind of bad, where you can complain it's bad but it doesn't try to be anything other then stupid fun so it's not warranted.

SAO is the kind of "show that tried to be good but it failed for whatever reason" kind of bad, where you can complain that it's shit because it tried not to be shit and be a good compelling story and it didn't do that.

Mars of Destruction is the "rock bottom" kind of bad. It fucking sucks.

-from a guy who has watched 1 episode of Twintail, and not watched Mars of Destruction.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Mar 2, 2016 3:49 PM

Sep 2009
My MALgraph tells me we're living in the golden age of Anime, and I certainly can't disagree.
Mar 2, 2016 3:52 PM

Nov 2015
theres 2 types of bad for me: the anime that never lifted its face from the ground and the anime that went sky-high and then skydived face first into the ground, the latter being the "offensive" kind of bad.
Mar 2, 2016 5:25 PM

Apr 2014
My type of bad : Bad shit, bad ending, quite bad, so bad it's good.
Mar 2, 2016 9:40 PM
Feb 2014
An anime is bad if I say it is bad. There is nothing else to it.
Mar 2, 2016 9:42 PM

Mar 2015
there is many different type of good, so does bad. but still i rate tham as overall bad.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 2, 2016 10:54 PM

Oct 2015
I have 3 types of Bad.

Bad, it's just not good and maybe boring.

So bad it's good, where something is so stupid that's funny for all the wrong reasons like it being funny for even existing.

So bad it's bad, so bad that's horrible and you end up hating them.
Mar 2, 2016 10:55 PM
Jun 2015
>So bad it's good
>So bad it's bad
>It's bad
Mar 2, 2016 10:59 PM
Feb 2015
I have 3 types of bad, like a lot of other people who responded.

Bland - boring, basic, clichés, but it's not unwatchable, and in fact I sort of enjoyed it oddly (Charlotte)
Mediocre - very basic standards, not much I can compliment the show on but I don't have much to criticise on either. However, I didn't really enjoy watching it (Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai)
Horrible - not even the animation and sound could save this one. A complete waste of time (Diabolik Lovers)
Mar 2, 2016 11:02 PM

Apr 2015
Illyricus said:
They are two types of bad for me; the "simple bad" (Mahouka, Guilty Crown...), and the even worse bad of Utsu Musume Sayuri, Shitcom...
Ok this
Is pretty much like me except apart from I would add in Toradora as just plain garbage
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2016 11:18 PM

Nov 2009
Yes, there are different kinds of bad.
1) Some anime are bad because they stand against everything I stand for. Example: Haibane Renmei.
I wouldn't bother arguing about them with anybody, because they don't share my principles and values anyway.

2) Some anime are just too badly made to evaluate their content, like Kamichama Karin and its eye-bleeding visuals.
Most people will probably agree they're bad, so it's a useful criterion when interacting with others.

3) Some anime are just disgusting. There is some fundamental flaw in their concept that should be obvious to anybody from the same cultural background as me. Example: Abashiki Ikka.
This evaluation can be useful for interacting with others too, but only when you expect to share a background. Japanese might just disagree with your evaluation.

4) Some anime are just run-of-the-mill, generic and so on. I'm sure you've seen a lot of examples.
This evaluation is only useful when speaking with anime veterans.

5) And finally, there is anime that is just not for me. From yaoi to horror.
This evaluation is pretty much useless when speaking to other people, because they might be yaoi fangirls, masochists or whatever.
Mar 2, 2016 11:28 PM

May 2015
every Chinese cartoon is shit anyway
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 3, 2016 1:23 AM

May 2015
How can a show 'want to be bad'? Every show wants to be good.

There are bad shows that offend me, shows that are moronic and pretentiousness. Texhnolyze, SAO and so far Parasyte fit. They start off as serious, but completely lose it. SAO and Parasyte become harem, Tex is just grimdark.

Others are just boring bad. They're stupid, but nothing interesting going on like Date A Live II.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 3, 2016 1:27 AM

Apr 2013
Mars of Destruction
Not seen it, probably simply bad.
Sword Art Online
Seen it, not bad at all 7/10
Ore Twintails
Not seen it, but is on my PTW list. Doesn't look bad to me.

Do things like budget and intent affect your perception of an anime?
No I rate by enjoyment. So if I watch it and enjoy it I will rate it positively, don't care about budget or stuff like that.

Is it better for an anime to be deliberately bad than to attempt to be good and fail completely?
No an anime should and does always try to be good.

Do you think less about an overrated average anime than you do about an underrated average anime (mediocre vs. decent)?
No they're both average.
Mar 3, 2016 1:38 AM

Dec 2015
First of all, thank u for asking a very interesting question. Good questions on mal are very rare

I only see 2 ways of making a bad anime. Either u fail to interest me and make me keep going, or u completely screw up and make the most unsatisfying ending.

Now the first one is not half as bad, bcuz i can always drop a show when i feel it goes nowhere or is not interesting, or simply doesnt deliver what i was expecting
The second is by far the worst fucking i can possibly imagine. I waste so much time on it, only to be dissapointed at the end, its just a massive NO. And im not only talking bout those that have a *go read the manga u hag* kinda endings :p
Mar 3, 2016 1:39 AM

Dec 2015
Gator said:
Mars of Destruction
Not seen it, probably simply bad.
Sword Art Online
Seen it, not bad at all 7/10
Ore Twintails
Not seen it, but is on my PTW list. Doesn't look bad to me.

Do things like budget and intent affect your perception of an anime?
No I rate by enjoyment. So if I watch it and enjoy it I will rate it positively, don't care about budget or stuff like that.

Is it better for an anime to be deliberately bad than to attempt to be good and fail completely?
No an anime should and does always try to be good.

Do you think less about an overrated average anime than you do about an underrated average anime (mediocre vs. decent)?
No they're both average.

Watch Mars of Destruction, its fucking brilliant in its own way xD
Mar 3, 2016 2:34 AM

Jul 2011
For me there is only one kind of bad , what bothers me or makes me rage

The " so bad it's so good " belongs to the category of "good" for me, and i rate them with a positive score, cause they are usually enjoyable (the only thing that matter imho)
DortMar 3, 2016 2:45 AM
Mar 3, 2016 3:16 AM

Oct 2011
Regardless whether intentional or not, bad is still bad. It's just a matter of how willing you're able to tolerate the badness.
Mar 3, 2016 3:31 AM

Jul 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

There are bad shows that offend me, shows that are moronic and pretentiousness. Texhnolyze, SAO and so far Parasyte fit. They start off as serious, but completely lose it. SAO and Parasyte become harem, Tex is just grimdark.

Others are just boring bad. They're stupid, but nothing interesting going on like Date A Live II.

Why u hate Tex so much ?

It's deep .

At least I think so .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 3, 2016 3:35 AM

May 2014
Disappointingly Bad = SAO, K-On, Love Live etc.
Bad Bad = Diabolik Lovers
So Bad that its good = Jojo Bizarre Adventure
There’s no such thing as miracles, only the inevitable, the accidental
and the things we do.
Mar 3, 2016 3:54 AM

Jul 2015
When they call an anime that you like shit and you know you can't say anything about it ............
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 3, 2016 4:51 AM

Sep 2015
Well I only have 'it simply bad' and just like that. I've ever heard about this and I read that from some post in this thread too but I haven't found something so called 'so bad it's good' yet to be honest.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Mar 3, 2016 4:57 AM

Aug 2010
There're the animes it makes you cool if you say it's bad (Charlotte, SAO etc.) and the shit you don't even talk about :D
Mar 3, 2016 4:58 AM

Feb 2010
yeah there is plenty types of "bad" it can be because:
- bad animation and annoying voice actors
- plot holes everywhere or plot total bs
- too many cliche characters, scenes
- has good idea but bad story flow
Mar 3, 2016 11:36 AM

Jun 2015
@-Senpai-

No senpai, this time you're wrong. Much like SAO, it had a bunch of potential all to be thrown away.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost."
Mar 3, 2016 9:56 PM

May 2015
SodiumChloride said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Why u hate Tex so much ?

It's deep .

At least I think so .

Stoic faces and bloody violence looks like a desperate attempt to be mature.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 3, 2016 10:08 PM
Sep 2015
I have seen only SAO... But I would not consider it to be bad... It is just that being a plot driven anime, it is an average anime which has less qualitative meaning than many other animes like FMAB or AoT or Naruto...
Mar 3, 2016 11:38 PM

Oct 2013
Something like that :

Utsu Musume Sayuri - So bad it's actually pretty funny
Pupa - Bad cuz disgusting
Kill la Kill - Bad cuz bad
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

21 by BlueBullet178 »»
13 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

20 by Lhundrup »»
45 minutes ago

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel?

Rinrinka - Apr 12

37 by Lockensocke »»
52 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

30 by IpreferEcchi »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.