Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 2, 2016 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm an episode that focuses more on the teacher and not only that, I think there's a strange feeling about the events that transited into this episode.

Haruta's thinking also unites the group together as a club that's been growing so far.
Mar 2, 2016 10:37 AM

Jan 2015
Wow, who would've thought "something" like that would happen to the teacher? And it's just at the first minute. Total riot after knowing the cause for it.
Kaiyu really helps this duo HaruChika though, what a relief.
New "hot" girl appeared in the episode, and it's the class president or maybe Teacher Ogawara?. LOL

And that stupid Haruta's question about "looking at pictures of female students in class" by looking at Chika directly. LOL
MasceraMar 2, 2016 11:04 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Mar 2, 2016 11:00 AM

Jan 2012
I hafta think there's something of a cultural disconnect with the big twist going on in this episode. The idea that having a friggin' tattoo would be enough to undo a student teacher's life for, at minimum, one year is both insulting and moronic, and even a bit infuriating. Would such a thing carry that much weight here? I can't imagine that to be the case. Damn social stigmatisms. So yeah, didn't enjoy how this episode played out.

Oh well, giant fluffy dog next week at least.
Mar 2, 2016 11:03 AM

Apr 2010
I am at a loss of words.
Why would a tattoo at a location that can't be seen be a problem?
Why would a tattoo be a problem at all?
I now many people think of Tattoo's as bad things but they aren't unless it's a tattoo of something bad like a Swastika.
But what matters is the persons personality and their ability too teach or do their job and from what i could tell the student teacher was doing a pretty good judging from the students where saying about her.
And speaking of people with tattoos the current Prime Minister of Canada has a tattoo and rumour has it that Winston Churchill used to have a tattoo and he was a capable leader.

Regarding the voyeurism that's something for worse then a tattoo and it's also illegal.
It's pretty sad when you are more worried over a tattoo then worried over a voyeur.
Mar 2, 2016 11:53 AM

Dec 2012
Aversa said:
I am at a loss of words.
I now many people think of Tattoo's as bad things but they aren't unless it's a tattoo of something bad like a Swastika.
But what matters is the persons personality and their ability too teach or do their job and from what i could tell the student teacher was doing a pretty good judging from the students where saying about her.
And speaking of people with tattoos the current Prime Minister of Canada has a tattoo and rumour has it that Winston Churchill used to have a tattoo and he was a capable leader.

Regarding the voyeurism that's something for worse then a tattoo and it's also illegal.
It's pretty sad when you are more worried over a tattoo then worried over a voyeur.

Fullback tattoo It's very synonymous with yakuza
Mar 2, 2016 12:06 PM

Apr 2010
Rorek said:
Aversa said:
I am at a loss of words.

Fullback tattoo It's very synonymous with yakuza
I know but that still doesn't mean she is a bad person or incapable of doing her job.
Besides most people have done something wrong in their life the point is that she realises what she has done and she is trying to become a better person.
She learned from her mistake and i think that's something that will make her a great teacher.
Mar 2, 2016 12:13 PM

May 2010
Well, Japan is strict when it comes to teachers having tattoos. Can be a bad example for students, I guess. Still feel the teachers deserve some privacy though.

That was another great episode. Loved when Sakai sensei said that he will keep a spot open for Ogawara next year. She can come back, nice!
Mar 2, 2016 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
An episode focused on a teacher.

It was an alright episode!
Mar 2, 2016 1:00 PM

Jul 2015
Liked this episode more than the previous ones. I'm surprised no case has taken at least two episodes to solve :/
Mar 2, 2016 2:12 PM

Oct 2015
nice chap, but i wanna see the tatoo.
Was hard to Haru resolve this time.
I am Argentine, so is not very good my English, sorry for the many typing errors.

Mar 2, 2016 2:29 PM

Sep 2010
This was another 'okay' episode.
The photo of the brass band changed again. =D

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Mar 2, 2016 2:40 PM

Mar 2014
Is that kid supposed to be the grey haired version of Haruta? Goddamnit he pisses me off already

Still best episode so far
animefan8800 said:
I hafta think there's something of a cultural disconnect with the big twist going on in this episode. The idea that having a friggin' tattoo would be enough to undo a student teacher's life for, at minimum, one year is both insulting and moronic, and even a bit infuriating. Would such a thing carry that much weight here? I can't imagine that to be the case. Damn social stigmatisms. So yeah, didn't enjoy how this episode played out.

TragicRomance said:
Well, Japan is strict when it comes to teachers having tattoos. Can be a bad example for students, I guess. Still feel the teachers deserve some privacy though.

That was another great episode. Loved when Sakai sensei said that he will keep a spot open for Ogawara next year. She can come back, nice!
I don't think it has anything to with her being a teacher

In Japan fullback tattoos (and tattoos in general I think) are strongly associated with the yakuza/Japanese mafia and so there is a stigma against them

Example
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 2, 2016 2:51 PM

Jan 2012
Comic_Sans said:
Is that kid supposed to be the grey haired version of Haruta? Goddamnit he pisses me off already

Still best episode so far
animefan8800 said:

TragicRomance said:

I don't think it has anything to with her being a teacher

In Japan fullback tattoos (and tattoos in general I think) are strongly associated with the yakuza/Japanese mafia and so there is a stigma against them

Example

So if she was trying to hold ANY occupation outside yakuza her life's pretty much over, or at best on hold because...gasp! tattoo! It's still bullshit either way.
Mar 2, 2016 2:55 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I knew it had to be a tattoo as they were talking about the heat and seeing through something that shouldn't have been seen. Plus, she was pretty much portrayed as a delinquent in the past. An injury or surgical scar wouldn't have been that bad to reveal, while it might be personal. But I know that tattoos are big no-no in Japan, you're usually rejected to go to an onsen if you have a tattoo. My sister told me this because she said she wanted to get a tattoo, but most likely after she has visited an onsen in Japan first, lol.

This is pretty informative.
http://www.kashiwaya.org/e/magazine/onsen/tattoos.html

I can understand the "irrationality" of Japan regarding tattoos because there's historical/societal basis. And tbh, there are similar circumstances like this where someone is judged for something else they've done but it doesn't affect how well the person can do their job.

Really enjoyed this episode, for some reason I felt emotional towards the end of the episode when the student teacher realized the truth behind the teacher's suspension. I sympathized with how regretful she was over her past, and she's just trying to go on the right path, yet at the same time, she hurt her teacher who gave her the chance. There will always be people, or that one person, in your life that forgives you and wishes to see succeed. I got teary-eyed when the teacher told her that he'll always leave a spot open for her.
Mar 2, 2016 2:58 PM
Feb 2014
Come on this was lame! they can dump you from your job for having art on your OWN body? what's with that shitty logic?

Tattoos are going way way way back in history and even far-er if we count tattoos without the use of nail like tools or smth. It is as normal as wearing hairpins or some shit.

I hate such people who judge you by your hair or your clothes and all and decide on that if you should have a job.. go rot away in a damn trash container...

Seriously now.. this makes me angry to the maximum. A tattoo? hello! a tattoo? idiotic idiotic idioticcccccc

also for the Yakuza thing, if Japan didn't regard it as such a big deal more people would get tattoos and therefore the image of a (big) tattoo being the symbol of yakuza would disappear.

Even if Yakuza have it who cares! It's art dang it! it's like makeup for the body! and it's not only Yakuza! -.-

I'm out, gotta watch smth else to calm head.

But having a tattoo is not wrong nor a mistake.. Having a something against tattoos just because someone chose to use that as a symbol is stupid. If it's a literal logo okay but come on tattoo's in general? that's really idiotic
projectfear22Mar 2, 2016 3:32 PM
Mar 2, 2016 3:34 PM
Oct 2011
animefan8800 said:

So if she was trying to hold ANY occupation outside yakuza her life's pretty much over, or at best on hold because...gasp! tattoo! It's still bullshit either way.

Its cultural difference dude, get over it. Just like eating dog or cows is acceptable in some places and taboo in others. Maybe worry about fixing your own culture first than think about others.
Mar 2, 2016 3:38 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The whole tattoo thing makes since in Japanese culture. Some like that would be considered ridiculous here though. Decent episode overall.

3/5
Mar 2, 2016 3:50 PM

Apr 2015
Interesting episode. Kaiyu's helped on the case too, and he proves to be pretty reliable in these types of situations. Nice to see the student-teacher's realized for the better from her teacher's actions.
Mar 2, 2016 4:38 PM

May 2015
Looks like Kaiyuu is a smart one as well. Or at least, interesting. Overall, a solid episode.

projectfear22 said:
Come on this was lame! they can dump you from your job for having art on your OWN body? what's with that shitty logic?

Tattoos are going way way way back in history and even far-er if we count tattoos without the use of nail like tools or smth. It is as normal as wearing hairpins or some shit.

I hate such people who judge you by your hair or your clothes and all and decide on that if you should have a job.. go rot away in a damn trash container...

Seriously now.. this makes me angry to the maximum. A tattoo? hello! a tattoo? idiotic idiotic idioticcccccc

also for the Yakuza thing, if Japan didn't regard it as such a big deal more people would get tattoos and therefore the image of a (big) tattoo being the symbol of yakuza would disappear.

Even if Yakuza have it who cares! It's art dang it! it's like makeup for the body! and it's not only Yakuza! -.-

I'm out, gotta watch smth else to calm head.

But having a tattoo is not wrong nor a mistake.. Having a something against tattoos just because someone chose to use that as a symbol is stupid. If it's a literal logo okay but come on tattoo's in general? that's really idiotic

Tell that to Japan.

Mar 2, 2016 6:04 PM

Oct 2011
Sakai Sensei is waiting for her return T__T
Mar 2, 2016 6:15 PM
Oct 2011
'Starting in the Kofun period (300–600 AD) tattoos began to assume negative connotations. Instead of being used for ritual or status purposes, tattooed marks began to be placed on criminals as a punishment.'

I guess it doesn't help that almost all the tatoo history of Japan is negative. So i could understand why it is sort of a forbidden art.
Mar 2, 2016 6:54 PM

Jan 2011
good episode was actually able to catch on for once without been spoon fed by Haru's detective skills, and while the reveal wasn't nearly as big of a idea with us in the west the Bad stigma regarding tatoo's in japan is quite large and bad especially for someone trying to be a teacher.

sometimes your past just catches up to you in the worst ways
Mar 2, 2016 7:29 PM

Jan 2012
Pen3 said:
animefan8800 said:

Its cultural difference dude, get over it. Just like eating dog or cows is acceptable in some places and taboo in others. Maybe worry about fixing your own culture first than think about others.

I'm aware, doesn't make it right, nor above criticism, dude. If I shouldn't think about other cultures why watch anime at all?
Mar 2, 2016 7:47 PM
Dec 2013
In Japan, tattoo will always associate with mafia or AV girls...
Mar 2, 2016 10:40 PM

Jan 2011
I thought it was gonna be a student's c-section scar.
Mar 2, 2016 10:46 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
I thought it was gonna be a student's c-section scar.
Same here....Can't believe that a tatoo would cause so much damage

Either way that peeping student is pretty slick with her methods lol
Mar 2, 2016 10:56 PM

Nov 2012
wow, all this because of a tattoo, that's pretty ridiculous.
Mar 2, 2016 11:28 PM
Jul 2012
It's always funny how people react when actual Japanese culture shows up in anime, tattoo stigma, or really any social stigmas, an adult male teaching random kids how to fly paper planes in ERASED. Shota/loli, the most ridiculous ecchi...that stuff is fine; just keep reality out of their fantasies, or it makes that other stuff too real too.
Mar 2, 2016 11:31 PM

Aug 2009
Kusakabe-sensei is down! Nothing too serious it seems, as he had been overworking himself in order to help out a friend and a band in need. If I were a band teacher in that situation, and a rival competitive school desperately needed someone to supervise or direct, I would help out. It’s a good thing to do for the betterment of music education, and it’s at no fault of the students who would be left behind. Not as if Haru & Chika are giving Kusakabe any less to worry about though! Damn kids, stop meddling so much!

The tattoo could be linked to a bigger, more realistic, problem. Just having a tattoo isn't enough by itself. There's the possibility of a gang connection. Which also, if she has turned herself around, isn't that big of a deal. But it would be pretty problematic news for the school employing her if she had been convicted of any crimes and failed to mention them. It’s completely understandable that Sakai-sensei would take the suspension over ruining his now turned-around student’s life.

I'm just gonna stay here. I deserve it.
Mar 3, 2016 1:48 PM

Oct 2006
Just mentally substitute "tattoo" with something else that wouldn't fly for a teacher in whatever country you live in. It's not that hard, every culture has weird rules of what's acceptable and what isn't.
Mar 3, 2016 6:01 PM

Jan 2014
Aversa said:
I am at a loss of words.

It is quite the stigma actually. It also depends on tatoo in question but it is fairly suggested that the tatoo she has is involved with delinquent activities which clearly don't sit well with the teacher job.

Anyway this case was fairly dark, and to think that this kind of thing can happen irl is downright disturbing.

That aside.........I still happen to enjoy the fact that both Haruta and Chika remain as usual with their constant bickering. I love the way that both of them are portrayed since they act as pretty normal teenagers.

That Haruta question there LOL!!!
Mar 3, 2016 6:02 PM
Aug 2014
BGMaxie said:
Aversa said:
I am at a loss of words.

It is quite the stigma actually. It also depends on tatoo in question but it is fairly suggested that the tatoo she has is involved with delinquent activities which clearly don't sit well with the teacher job.

Anyway this case was fairly dark, and to think that this kind of thing can happen irl is downright disturbing.

That aside.........I still happen to enjoy the fact that both Haruta and Chika remain as usual with their constant bickering. I love the way that both of them are portrayed since they act as pretty normal teenagers.

That Haruta question there LOL!!!

Exactly. Women in Japan with that kind of tattoo are seeing as sl*ts. All the fuzz was because of that. It is hinted that Sensei had a shady past.
Mar 4, 2016 2:45 AM

Oct 2015
That was a rather immediate start

This anime looks really pretty. I wish it had a better sort of plot.
At least there was some process invloved in solving the mystery this time. At least Haruta didn't get after being given two bits of useless info.
This has a romace tag. This has no romance.

This was an ok episode.
Mar 4, 2016 4:20 AM

Jun 2013
sensei is overworked and seriously all that just because she has a tattoo -_-
Mar 4, 2016 11:38 AM

Oct 2008
Kinda enjoyed this episode, much better than the previous one at least. The case was interesting and not difficult to figure out.
Mar 4, 2016 1:04 PM

Dec 2012
That's it? All that just for a tattoo? lol
Okay episode, lots of loose ends left untied though...
Mar 5, 2016 11:47 AM

Jul 2009
After a lot of bad episodes this one was watchable...
Mar 5, 2016 12:41 PM

Sep 2009
bittersweetlove said:
After a lot of bad episodes this one was watchable...

Yeah true that! The mystery was actually good and I enjoyed the character interactions a lot this time around.

Mar 6, 2016 3:19 AM

Sep 2013
Some people really need to understand that there is something called "cultural differences".

Btw, these last 2 episodes seems like fillers until they compete in a performance.
Mar 6, 2016 6:33 AM

Nov 2011
Narratively you could do better, at least sink the shot at the decisive moment, however, it was decided otherwise, what a pity! So the story is a bit bland whole. The comic part is not bad, good technical and graphic level, but this series is not one of the best made by PA Works.

Daisuki said:

The photo of the brass band changed again. =D

The question is: can change how often they want the opening, but if you never talk about music and the students who join the group, it's useless this effort.

Cloudyanime said:

I'm just gonna stay here. I deserve it.

LOL! Haruta, should not participate in more than just the narrative. ^^"
Mar 6, 2016 8:56 AM
Mar 2007
Good episode and I like the series overall. One additional positive about this episode is the existence of this discussion thread. It has taught some people about the tattoo stigma that does exist in Japan.

MMA fighters that visit Japan for training/sparring have to bandage up their tattoos or wear long sleeved clothing to fully cover any tattoos before entering a gym. You would be asked to leave an establishment if you had your tattoos on display.

My sister-in-law has a dragon tattoo on her upper arm which she has to keep covered at all times whenever she vacations in Japan.
Mar 7, 2016 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
Well this was fucking stupid. The tattoo thing makes sense only for Japanese, I guess. They think everyone who has tattoos are criminals.

Tfw you can't go to a japanese public bath because you have a tattoo.
Mar 8, 2016 10:47 PM

Aug 2013
I feel like logic totally went out the door with this episode.

I already know about the huge negative social stigma with tattoos in Japan, but maybe this is just me trying to give the faculty there the benefit of the doubt.

I mean, if the girl got it when she was young, was in the process of getting it removed, so not much was even left, and even with her light colored shirt on you needed a fucking infrared camera to see it, then I don't see why she would need to temporarily quit her job over it. Not to mention that she went the extra mile to always keep it covered around her students. Even if the faculty didn't approve of it, I couldn't see them not being at least a bit rational and accommodating. I really don't see how they could flatly say "nope, tattoo, gtfo".

Not only that, but it's like the bad girl Amadeus got away with it. She was peeping with an IR camera and invading privacy, which is illegal. She blackmailed Sakai with the photo and he was suspended. In the end she was never suspended, and we don't know the result of Ogawara going to talk to her. But for all we know, she never deleted any of those photos.

Especially since Ogawara still quit being a student teacher. If the bad girl deleted her photos, then nobody would even know she had the tattoo anymore and wouldn't be called into question to begin with.
Mar 10, 2016 2:38 AM

May 2012
I think a lot of people are missing that the implication here is that Ogawara really did have crime/possible yakuza connections. It's not just the tattoo that's the problem, it's what it represents. She didn't enter university until she was 26 and it's implied that she has a past she wants to get away from. C'mon guys.
Mar 10, 2016 1:28 PM
Jul 2012
Rarity said:
I think a lot of people are missing that the implication here is that Ogawara really did have crime/possible yakuza connections. It's not just the tattoo that's the problem, it's what it represents. She didn't enter university until she was 26 and it's implied that she has a past she wants to get away from. C'mon guys.

^^This is a great point^^
The show does a good job telling a story from context clues, when it wants to. Like the grandfather episode, it showed a side of history and culture that most people these days cannot comprehend existing in this current social era: violent protests, military enlistment, "youthful indiscretion" actually having a lasting impact on your adult life. Some episodes can be heavy-handed in execution, but this was not one of them.
Mar 10, 2016 7:44 PM

May 2010
Japanese viewers were suspecting it was a tattoo before it was revealed.
Mar 10, 2016 8:35 PM

Oct 2008
My only question is: Is it really a big deal if you have a yakuza tatoo highschooler??!?
4/5.

Mar 11, 2016 3:36 AM
Mar 2012
A better executed flow. The clues built on each other, and it kept my focus. Each contributed something, getting perspectives from Ogasawara, pres, those 2 students. The moment when Haru brought the group past 70% mystery was nice.
Once again, Chika hit the mark, first to suggest peeper maybe photographing students other than class pres. And Haru connected the dots.
Really felt for the caring sensei Sakai, and student teacher's predicament. I thought she didn't need to leave, and they should explain the aftermath of class pres and peeper, like formal apologies or punishment.
Mar 12, 2016 12:17 AM

Dec 2010
Another great episode! There hasn't really been a disappointing episode yet. This was probably one of the best purely for the mystery aspect which was quite well developed. The reaction to it being a tattoo was kind of odd, but hey, different cultures!

Even without the mysteries, its just fun to watch all the characters to interact. They know how to hit the perfect emotional cues in most of the episodes, and the series is stronger for it.
Mar 13, 2016 6:41 PM

Nov 2015
An episode about a teacher this time, it was nice overall

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something....

yukiyamayui - Nov 16, 2023

0 by yukiyamayui »»
Nov 16, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2016

429 by Nakano_Nin0 »»
Sep 16, 2022 6:05 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

124 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 26, 2022 8:56 PM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2016

126 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 24, 2022 9:16 PM

» Why is HaruChika's rating so low

ChrisAMV - Mar 5, 2016

41 by PowerMinerYT »»
Jun 15, 2022 3:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.