Forum Settings
Forums

When will they stop sending otaku to fantasy worlds?

New
Mar 1, 2016 12:46 AM

Sep 2009
I mean, c'mon. You don't need to send an otaku to some fantasy land or trap him in some fantasy land video game to make an eyecatching anime. Don't the producers and LN writers get tired of it? Don't the Japanese consumers get tired of it? Seriously =/
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 1, 2016 12:52 AM

Jun 2014
If the Japanese like it.. not for a long time.

Watch something else.
Mar 1, 2016 12:53 AM

Apr 2015
Two options:

1. Whine and blame the consumers, even though they don't understand what you're saying.
2. Watch something else.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Mar 1, 2016 12:56 AM

Sep 2015
I'd rather a fantasy world than yet another highschool.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 1, 2016 12:57 AM

Mar 2014
The day the otaku stop liking it

Which won't happen for a very long time
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained

Nov 2009
"Ordinary person getting to an interesting world" trope is very useful from a storytelling standpoint. It isn't going to stop being used any time soon.

It's just that for the modern generation of authors, "ordinary person" no longer means a bunch of kids (like in Digimon or Mondaiji), but a single otaku.

Dec 2015
Never. Becuz otaku is love, otaku is life.
Mar 1, 2016 12:58 AM

Aug 2013
ItsMaz said:
Yeah I have to agree there although I'm getting tired of the medieval fantasy game world setting.
Mar 1, 2016 12:59 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
You want a successful adult man with actual life who has wife and kids to be sent to the fantasy world instead? That could be an interesting anime.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 1, 2016 1:00 AM

Sep 2009
ItsMaz said:

I think I prefer highschool at this point. I mean, it's not like people don't attend highschool, so it's less contrived <.<

RayAdha said:
You want a successful adult man with actual life who has wife and kids to be sent to the fantasy world instead? That could be an interesting anime.

And yes, please send an interesting person to a fantasy world. Like John Cena.
Mar 1, 2016 1:02 AM

Feb 2010
many otaku watch anime for escapism so why japan should stop making kind of anime which keeps their auditory satisfied.
Mar 1, 2016 1:03 AM

Jan 2016
Cookies said:
Two options:

1. Whine and blame the consumers, even though they don't understand what you're saying.
2. Watch something else.

This...

OP: (2nd option is the most sensible thing to do. )0
Mar 1, 2016 1:03 AM

Aug 2013
Highschool is the worst, most boring and the least interesting setting so fantasy worlds over highschool.
Mar 1, 2016 1:10 AM

Nov 2009
RayAdha said:

Traditionally, "sent to a fantasy world" setups take people who don't have too strong connections to their original worlds. Being in a hurry to return ruins the most important point of the whole setup - to use the MC to explore the world together with the viewers.
Mar 1, 2016 1:15 AM

Feb 2015
Wouldn't want to alienate the consumers.
Mar 1, 2016 3:27 AM

Feb 2015
Otaku's are their target audience, so why should they?
Mar 1, 2016 4:25 AM

Feb 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
I mean, c'mon. You don't need to send an otaku to some fantasy land or trap him in some fantasy land video game to make an eyecatching anime. Don't the producers and LN writers get tired of it? Don't the Japanese consumers get tired of it? Seriously =/
yes..............................
Mar 1, 2016 4:30 AM

Oct 2014
Yeah you just watch something else if u dont like those kinds , plus lots of people likes this type of anime . They will continue sending more otakus .
Mar 1, 2016 4:33 AM
Aug 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

then dont watch it................
Mar 1, 2016 4:34 AM

Mar 2015
When the world is full with someone like you.. XD
This salad is salty favored
Dec 2014
I know it is a rhetorical questions,. but when this genre isn't succesful anymore. I thing that the current hype or popularity levels for this kind will last for another 3-4 years.

Jul 2015
I agree with the OP .

They should start sending more riajuus and make stories about teenage angst and depression .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 1, 2016 4:40 AM

Mar 2012
SodiumChloride said:
I agree with the OP .

They should start sending more riajuus and make stories about teenage angst and depression .
Thrust me they make a lot of it. Too much in fact that it's more common to have Isekai MC to be edgy angsty teenager.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 1, 2016 4:44 AM

Apr 2014
Maybe, just maybe, you're just butthurt that you can't go that kind of world? Just a wild, but probably accurate guess...
Mar 1, 2016 4:44 AM

Jul 2015
NeoAnkara said:
SodiumChloride said:
I agree with the OP .

Thrust me they make a lot of it. Too much in fact that it's more common to have Isekai MC to be edgy angsty teenager.

I'm not too sure what riajuu means but I assume it's a slang for extremely popular people .

What I had in mind was the story of an extremely popular MC being taken to some other fantasy world and being forced into a radically different lifestyle before finally breaking down into a mixture of despair and edgy angst .

Is there a lot of that ?
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 1, 2016 4:46 AM

Mar 2012
SodiumChloride said:
NeoAnkara said:

I'm not too sure what riajuu means but I assume it's a slang for extremely popular people .

What I had in mind was the story of an extremely popular MC being taken to some other fantasy world and being forced into a radically different lifestyle before finally breaking down into a mixture of despair and edgy angst .

Is there a lot of that ?
http://www.novelupdates.com/

Just lurk around there for a while.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 1, 2016 4:48 AM

Mar 2015
Meh I don't see anything wrong with it if it can be done right. I ain't got any better ideas anyways, and I doubt anyone who complains about it has either.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Mar 1, 2016 5:29 AM

Apr 2013
Well yeah, there will probably always be 1-2 anime per season that have that kind of plot. But I don't think its a huge problem as long as there are still other anime being made.

I personally am not a huge fan of this "isekai" trend,mainly because 99% of them have a medieval fantasy game setting. That looks exactly like SAO,tbh. I think that is kind of a waste,since "isekai" could be any kind of world. Like why not make a fantasy world like in NagiAsu where people live in the ocean. Or something like Suisei no Gargantia or something else. Even NGNL was a step beyond. It definitely had that MMORPG vibe,but the concept of everything being decided by games made it unique.
But oh well,I guess Otakus like fantasy mmorpgs at the moment,so thats whats being made. That might change sometime,but probably not very soon. And I guess its not a huge problem as long as we still get other shows. Although yeah,I personally could do without the isekai shows.
Mar 1, 2016 5:48 AM

Nov 2009
IndigoBangarang said:
I personally am not a huge fan of this "isekai" trend,mainly because 99% of them have a medieval fantasy game setting.

1) "Medieval fantasy" is one of the most adventure-friendly setting types. No police, no armies you can't personally slaughter, plenty of bad stuff to fight.
2) Just because the setting looks medieval, doesn't mean it is. At least some of them use magitech to effectively have "technology" and society far in advance of middle ages.
Mar 1, 2016 6:13 AM

Jun 2015
.When.they.stop.making.money..
Mar 1, 2016 6:17 AM

Aug 2015
Stop being such a damn realist and let the kids fly in their fantasies.
Mar 1, 2016 6:26 AM
Mar 2014
I mean, c'mon. You don't need to complain about things you can't change or watch shows you don't enjoy to make an interesting thread. Don't the people complaining get tired of it? Don't the people reading get tired if it? Seriously =/
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Mar 1, 2016 6:27 AM

Jan 2013
Isn't that what anime is doing to us, the watchers...?
Mar 1, 2016 7:26 AM

Nov 2015
Don't worry mang, it'll pass..
Until then watch something else..
Mar 1, 2016 7:32 AM

Mar 2015
dude, issekai trope is soo fucking old. much older than current mainstream hype. digimon is example and i don't think it even first.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 1, 2016 7:37 AM

Jun 2012
Why can't they all be like me?

Can't you all just be like me?

Like, be something that isn't an otaku?

Geez.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 1, 2016 7:49 AM

Apr 2013
flannan said:
IndigoBangarang said:
I personally am not a huge fan of this "isekai" trend,mainly because 99% of them have a medieval fantasy game setting.

1) "Medieval fantasy" is one of the most adventure-friendly setting types. No police, no armies you can't personally slaughter, plenty of bad stuff to fight.
2) Just because the setting looks medieval, doesn't mean it is. At least some of them use magitech to effectively have "technology" and society far in advance of middle ages.

I made it pretty clear that its just my personal opinion. Well. True, it is a setting that supports action/adventure. But I am not a huge fan of those genres. I personally like drama/comedy/SoL more,so I prefer modern-day Japan settings,because it supports my prefered genres more. But I can see why an action/adventure lover likes medieval fantasy settings.

I know most of them aren't actually realistic medieval. But still,my point was that a lot of these settings look/feel so similar,especially when I look at upcoming LN. I just wonder why so many authors decide to go for the medieval fantasy esque setting,that usually feature swords and magic. Like why not make a fantasy world that is based on ancient Eqypt or something? Or a steampunk/machinery based setting? just some ideas. But I guess the medieval setting (or rather fantasy mmorpg setting) is popular because thats what otaku like atm..... at least thats my theory.
Mar 1, 2016 7:57 AM

Apr 2015
It's just to attract people to read/watch it. The reson for that is just that there are too many otaku that want to escape reality (maybe because they understand that otaku room and a collection of body pillows aren't that great irl?). So yeah...

CondemneDio said:
Isn't that what anime is doing to us, the watchers...?

Lol dude, it's actually an extremely good point :D It depend on the level of involvement though.
KorNkMar 1, 2016 8:00 AM
Mar 1, 2016 8:05 AM

Apr 2013
I'm not sure I can even list 10 anime using an otaku sent to an alternative world, so not sure what to think of that thread. If you add the "trapped inside a video game" you can reach more than 10, but that's still not that much. And trapped inside a game is a completely different trop with moved to an isekai.
Mar 1, 2016 8:50 AM

Feb 2010
Here's to hoping that this becomes the new thing to whine about, replacing moe as the scapegoat for frustrated casuals. It would be a nice change for a bit.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 1, 2016 9:05 AM

Nov 2009
Kuma said:
dude, issekai trope is soo fucking old. much older than current mainstream hype. digimon is example and i don't think it even first.

One of the oldest fantasy books, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis (1950) is about a bunch of children getting into a fantasy world. Yes, this trope is damn old.

IndigoBangarang said:
flannan said:

I made it pretty clear that its just my personal opinion. Well. True, it is a setting that supports action/adventure. But I am not a huge fan of those genres. I personally like drama/comedy/SoL more,so I prefer modern-day Japan settings,because it supports my prefered genres more. But I can see why an action/adventure lover likes medieval fantasy settings.

Well, obviously for somebody who's going to do a fantasy book/manga/anime, making a comedy/SoL in modern Japan just isn't an option. There are some nice SoL in fantasy, though: Atelier and Shiawase no Pan.

IndigoBangarang said:
I know most of them aren't actually realistic medieval. But still,my point was that a lot of these settings look/feel so similar,especially when I look at upcoming LN. I just wonder why so many authors decide to go for the medieval fantasy esque setting,that usually feature swords and magic. Like why not make a fantasy world that is based on ancient Eqypt or something? Or a steampunk/machinery based setting? just some ideas. But I guess the medieval setting (or rather fantasy mmorpg setting) is popular because thats what otaku like atm..... at least thats my theory.

Unless you're very good at what you're doing, you can't just take a random period of history and make a fantasy adventurous version of it. Many authors don't really want to do all the mountain of worldbuilding work it takes - they have other things they want to do with the setting, and so default to pseudo-medieval or pseudo-renaissance fantasy when they can't default to pseudo-modern Japan.
Mar 1, 2016 9:16 AM

Nov 2013
We've had to deal with generic high school shows since 2006, I'd rather have something that requires even small amounts of creativity.
Mar 1, 2016 9:19 AM

Apr 2013
Right now the WN/LN industry is in the Isekai era.

Rebirth/New fantasy world shit is the craze and you will only see more and more of it as adaptions come along for promotion of the source material.
Mar 1, 2016 9:22 AM

Mar 2015
flannan said:
Kuma said:

One of the oldest fantasy books, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis (1950) is about a bunch of children getting into a fantasy world. Yes, this trope is damn old.
how about alice in the wonderland? she also got to transfered to fantasy world because going inside rabbit hole. it think it's still much older.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 1, 2016 9:31 AM

Apr 2015
When it stops making money... Or when enough people rebel and want something new. :P
Mar 1, 2016 10:19 AM

Nov 2009
Kuma said:
flannan said:

how about alice in the wonderland? she also got to transfered to fantasy world because going inside rabbit hole. it think it's still much older.

It's from 1865, and it's a whole century older.
I'm not sure the worlds Alice got to qualify as "fantasy", though. They're more like "drug-induced nightmares".
Mar 1, 2016 10:23 AM

Mar 2015
flannan said:
Kuma said:

It's from 1865, and it's a whole century older.
I'm not sure the worlds Alice got to qualify as "fantasy", though. They're more like "drug-induced nightmares".
well, even dark fantasy still a fantasy thou.
Mar 1, 2016 10:26 AM

Sep 2009
Yes, it's an old trope, but I think the otaku thing is relatively newer, and massively trending.

Aanyhow, Japan really seems to like to overuse and overabuse tropes, until people actually get tired of it, after which they'll pick up a new one.
What they do is analogous to depleting non-renewable resources; they're using up all of the entertainment that consumers can receive from a trope, and it won't recover for decades!
Mar 1, 2016 10:33 AM

Mar 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
Yes, it's an old trope, but I think the otaku thing is relatively newer, and massively trending.

Aanyhow, Japan really seems to like to overuse and overabuse tropes, until people actually get tired of it, after which they'll pick up a new one.
What they do is analogous to depleting non-renewable resources; they're using up all of the entertainment that consumers can receive from a trope, and it won't recover for decades!
dude, trend is always exist. it's nothing new and it's not only special to anime. it's exist on every entertainment medium. when first anime introduced, anime is full of scifi shows that predicted future or historical shows. then mecha and space. then the golden age of action shounen with big 3, then the booming popularity of CGDCT, then trapped in game, then now issekai. i don't really well informed about another medium to comment about it, but is people already forgot the booming of boyband and girl band?
Mar 1, 2016 10:35 AM

Sep 2009
Kuma said:
MortalMelancholy said:

dude, trend is always exist. it's nothing new and it's not only special to anime. it's exist on every entertainment medium. when first anime introduced, anime is full of scifi shows that predicted future or historical shows. then mecha and space. then the golden age of action shounen with big 3, then the booming popularity of CGDCT, then trapped in game, then now issekai. i don't really well informed about another medium.

Well... The only entertainment mediums I use are anime and manga. While I'm sure this may happen in other entertainment mediums, like hollywood or netflix, etc, I'm doubtful that it is as severe as this current trend, and their garbage is boring irregardless of how bad they make it.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 2 hours ago

10 by NubFix »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

60 by Teirayo »»
3 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 3 hours ago

26 by LostSpectre »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

27 by InsomniacBastard »»
8 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

12 by Luchipher-Zen »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.