Forum Settings
Forums

'Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu-hen' Surpasses Half Million Tickets Sold

New
Feb 28, 2016 8:30 AM

Jul 2009
Press reports announced on Sunday that Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu-hen, the first of three anime movie adaptations of NisiOisiN's light novel of the same name, has sold more than 500,000 admission tickets. The movie opened in 108 theaters in Japan on January 8, 2016.

Box office data previously showed that the movie had earned more than 600 million yen and sold more than 450,000 tickets as of January 26. Aniplex of America also began screening Tekketsu-hen in the United States on February 26. (U.S. theatrical poster pictured.) Kizumonogatari Part 2: Nekketsu-hen will open in theaters in Japan this summer.

It was also announced that Utamonogatari: Monogatari Series Theme Songs Compilation Album has been certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of Japan after having sold more than 100,000 copies. Oricon's weekly sales data reports that the 23-track album, which was released on January 6, has sold 117,960 copies as of February 21.

Source: Anime! Anime!
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Feb 28, 2016 8:36 AM

Apr 2013
This is trully turning into a Moneygatari series. Maybe someone should suggest to NisiOisiN that he changes the name. If he haven't already thought about it by now, which would surprise me.
Feb 28, 2016 8:40 AM

Aug 2015
Good to hear, wasn't unexpected but glad it's selling well. the wait is killing me
Feb 28, 2016 8:45 AM

Mar 2014
That's a shit ton of tickets and ¥¥¥
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 28, 2016 8:49 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
And that's just the first movie. The total gross of the trilogy would be monumental.

Feb 28, 2016 9:00 AM

Mar 2013
*Meanwhile at Shaft*
Feb 28, 2016 9:02 AM

Nov 2013
well, well.
IT'S TIME FOR THE MONEY BABY.
Feb 28, 2016 9:10 AM

Nov 2011
Shaft making big bucks. Now I wonder how much money the entire trilogy will earn in the future.
Feb 28, 2016 9:20 AM

Dec 2012
Yooooshaaa 〜( ̄▽ ̄〜) (〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜

Nice, can't wait to see the movie ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

Hope it beats Madoka's gross.
Feb 28, 2016 9:27 AM

Nov 2008
So what does this mean in comparison? Like, what does the average anime film make? Is this Ghibli or Pokemon level?
Feb 28, 2016 9:31 AM

Jan 2015
So now we can expect more quality from Shaft's shows.
Feb 28, 2016 9:38 AM

Nov 2013
Those numbers aren't even that great tbh. All 3 movies combined will probably make less money than the Love Live movie.
Considering Owarimonogatari's sales, it's clear that the series isn't at the peak of its popularity anymore. Thankfully, it's still big enough that we'll get all the adaptations that we could possibly want.
Lollo36Feb 28, 2016 9:42 AM
Feb 28, 2016 9:59 AM

Oct 2007
Stark700 said:
Shaft making big bucks. Now I wonder how much money the entire trilogy will earn in the future.

Shafts cut from all this is probably negligible.

Lollo36 said:
Those numbers aren't even that great tbh. All 3 movies combined will probably make less money than the Love Live movie.
Considering Owarimonogatari's sales, it's clear that the series isn't at the peak of its popularity anymore. Thankfully, it's still big enough that we'll get all the adaptations that we could possibly want.

At the current course yes though I'm surprised anybody here had the wisdom to think instead of just react to and realize it's pretty much just alright numbers instead of going all hype mongering cause it's the beloved Monogatari.

Xenocrisi said:

Why?

Tacas said:
So what does this mean in comparison? Like, what does the average anime film make? Is this Ghibli or Pokemon level?

Not even remotely close to Pokemon, Precure, One Piece, DBZ, Hosoda sort of level which can make as much as 4-5 billion yen per flick, but those are very mainstream and popular with general audiences. Maybe comparable to Ghibli after it's prime though but honestly probably not, I don't have the numbers for stuff like Kaguya-Hime or Wind Rises on hand.

tsudecimo said:
Yooooshaaa 〜( ̄▽ ̄〜) (〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜

Nice, can't wait to see the movie ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

Hope it beats Madoka's gross.

Literally impossible. Without some sort of 11th hour benefit it's debatable it will pass the 1 billion mark or not let alone the 2.1 billion it would need for Madoka. I think it's been in theater a couple months at this point and last time I checked had just hit 700 million yen mark though Japanese anime movie news has more focused on the smash success of the Girls Und Panzer movie while Kizumonogatari news has kind of fallen largely by the way side. Kizumonogatari also fell off the movie top 10 charts about a month ago so that's also why updates on it have been quite scarce. This news story is also like a month old so why it's being posted here now other than possible stealth marketing for the movies Western release I don't know.
PeacingOutFeb 28, 2016 10:15 AM
Feb 28, 2016 10:25 AM

Aug 2015
you know one part of my heart is really happy but knowing japan due to recent success of anime movies all will start to follow same path....instead of getting series we may see more movies in anime industry
ultravigoFeb 28, 2016 10:29 AM
Feb 28, 2016 10:30 AM

Jan 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Xenocrisi said:

Why?

💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲
Feb 28, 2016 10:50 AM
Jan 2016
Congrats! Hopefully they can reach the 1B yen mark (y) and the Gold certification is nice. Keep it up!
Feb 28, 2016 11:20 AM

Aug 2013
Zefyris said:
This is trully turning into a Moneygatari series. Maybe someone should suggest to NisiOisiN that he changes the name. If he haven't already thought about it by now, which would surprise me.

What's the problem with Monogatari earning cash? I love the fact that something, which isn't completely braindead otaku pandering can bring a reasonable amount of money.
''Hayao Miyazaki was a mistake''
-Anime
Feb 28, 2016 11:27 AM

Apr 2014
Those numbers aren't really impressive to be honest. Maybe it could have earned more when the series was at its peak of popularity.
Feb 28, 2016 11:34 AM

Apr 2013
Simplo said:
Zefyris said:

What's the problem with Monogatari earning cash? I love the fact that something, which isn't completely braindead otaku pandering can bring a reasonable amount of money.

Where did I wrote it was bad it was earning money? I've bought 15 books from NisiOisiN already. I'd wager that's quite more than the money you gave to that author yourself.
And also, you make it sound like monogatari is better than mot other novels. On what basis would it be better?
Feb 28, 2016 11:36 AM
Jul 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Not even remotely close to Pokemon, Precure, One Piece, DBZ, Hosoda sort of level which can make as much as 4-5 billion yen per flick, but those are very mainstream and popular with general audiences. Maybe comparable to Ghibli after it's prime though but honestly probably not, I don't have the numbers for stuff like Kaguya-Hime or Wind Rises on hand.

Wind Rises is 12billion and Kaguya-hime is 2.5billion, it is not fair to compare it to Ghibli especially Miyazaki though.
Feb 28, 2016 11:44 AM

Jun 2013
this movie would've made way more if it was released in 2012 like it was supposed to.

Anyway the publishers are milking this way too hard, releasing barely 60 mins material in 1 movie & splitting it in 3. Moneygatari like @zefyris said.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Feb 28, 2016 11:50 AM

Aug 2013
Zefyris said:
Simplo said:

Where did I wrote it was bad it was earning money? I've bought 15 books from NisiOisiN already. I'd wager that's quite more than the money you gave to that author yourself.
And also, you make it sound like monogatari is better than mot other novels. On what basis would it be better?

I misjudged the idea of the comment. The quality is a subjective thing because it is based on opinions, but the majority of novels (at least popular enough to get adapted) are copy paste adventure harem/video game/battle high school stories or something in between.
-Anime
Feb 28, 2016 12:13 PM

Dec 2012
Joke aside, I am happy I survived this long to see the movies. Finally.

Shaft, get all the money you can :)
Feb 28, 2016 12:15 PM

Jul 2007
I am very happy with this. Gatari deserves all the sales.

As long as SHAFT keeps adapting monogatari, I can forgive them for screwing up madoka.
Feb 28, 2016 12:35 PM

Apr 2013
Simplo said:
Zefyris said:

I misjudged the idea of the comment. The quality is a subjective thing because it is based on opinions, but the majority of novels (at least popular enough to get adapted) are copy paste adventure harem/video game/battle high school stories or something in between.

I'm afraid you're taking things backward. It's not that theyr are "popular enough to get adapted", but that they are "close enough of what sells as an anime to be adapted".
You will never see some very popular japanese novels getting adapted into anime because they wouldn't work,whereas you see some LN quite obscure -before their anime adaptation- getting one.
Feb 28, 2016 12:49 PM

Aug 2013
Zefyris said:
Simplo said:

I'm afraid you're taking things backward. It's not that theyr are "popular enough to get adapted", but that they are "close enough of what sells as an anime to be adapted".
You will never see some very popular japanese novels getting adapted into anime because they wouldn't work,whereas you see some LN quite obscure -before their anime adaptation- getting one.

Hm, from what I've heard , anime income is secondary and the success of an anime is more linked to the source material sales boost because Manga and LN is just that much more profitable. Anime more or less is an advertisement (just look at all those 'read the manga' endings).
-Anime
Feb 28, 2016 1:02 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
It's great that Kizumonogatari's doing good. I wonder if it'll beat Gintama's second movie's total (which was ¥1.89 billion and 1 million tickets sold) or maybe at least the Psycho-Pass movie (¥850 million). Btw, did it beat the Madoka Magica movie total yet?
GoldenDevilGamerFeb 28, 2016 9:16 PM
Feb 28, 2016 1:12 PM

Oct 2007
GoldenDevilGamer said:
It's great that Kizumonogatari's doing good. I wonder if it'll beat Gintama's second movie's total (which was ¥1.89 billion and 1 million tickets sold) or maybe at least the Psycho-Pass movie (¥1.37 billion)

No again literally impossible with it's trajectory. See if it manages to pass the billion yen mark and then we'll talk other stuff, but last I checked it was only pulling in less than 500K million a week in February after the benefits wore off, which would mean it would take several more months for that to happen if god forbid it stayed the same. Still I never completely count Aniplex properties in when it comes to a matter of profit maximization. They always know how to get Otaku to throw more money at them in what should be the 11th hour.

Dab1za9 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Wind Rises is 12billion and Kaguya-hime is 2.5billion, it is not fair to compare it to Ghibli especially Miyazaki though.

Yeah but Kaguya cost some insanely large amount of money to make on account of being all hand drawn in that water color style so probably still lost money. Excellent non-otaku movie that probably most people will never see and the last thing I saw that felt worth a 10/10 score. Miyazaki is of course Miyazaki and while a great film I admittedly didn't enjoy it as much as Kaguya-Hime. I also think casting Miyazaki as the lead was a poor choice cause he was just so stiff and wooden, but I'm also noticing cast total stiff and wooden rook-shows as male leads in anime is become more in vogue lately.
PeacingOutFeb 28, 2016 1:17 PM
Feb 28, 2016 1:14 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
It's great that Kizumonogatari's doing good. I wonder if it'll beat Gintama's second movie's total (which was ¥1.89 billion and 1 million tickets sold) or maybe at least the Psycho-Pass movie (¥1.37 billion)

No again literally impossible with it's trajectory.
True. With the trends, if it's lucky, it might just hit the ¥1 billion mark.
Feb 28, 2016 1:16 PM

Dec 2007
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Tacas said:

Is there any comparison based on the number of theaters? I am not sure if 108 is a small number of theaters or not, but all of those mentioned series have got to have opened in a great deal more right?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2016 1:18 PM

Apr 2013
Simplo said:
Zefyris said:

Hm, from what I've heard , anime income is secondary and the success of an anime is more linked to the source material sales boost because Manga and LN is just that much more profitable. Anime more or less is an advertisement (just look at all those 'read the manga' endings).

YEs, for them anime is a costly advertisement. However, they advertise because they think it can increase the sales, not because it's already popular (quite the contrary, if they think the market for a title is already pretty much saturated so anime won't really increase the already good sales, they will not make an anime adaptation. That's the reason why you usually don't get a second season for adaptation of LN, for example).
That's why what's important is not how much they sell before the anime, but if the editors thinks that it can please enough anime watchers so that they will buy the novels thanks to the anime.
Popularity plays a role as well, but not in the way you think it does.
Feb 28, 2016 1:18 PM

Oct 2007
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

No again literally impossible with it's trajectory.
True. With the trends, if it's lucky, it might just hit the ¥1 billion mark.

If it had hit it yet we'd have known about it by now as not only the producers but news sites would have reported on it as a milestone interest sort of article.

Ketuekigami said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Is there any comparison based on the number of theaters? I am not sure if 108 is a small number of theaters or not, but all of those mentioned series have got to have opened in a great deal more right?

For a late night anime series it's quite large. Those 4 are mainstream movies aimed at general audiences that are well known properties in Japan by many so they get far more theaters and bigger ones at that. The weird thing about the modern Western community is that most of what it knows about nowadays and considers popular are actually pretty niche series in Japan that are usually from light novels or visual novels (which have only really exploded in terms of what many studios choose to work from in the last 5-10 years or so) and have just happened to do a little better than others financially, but even then that's not always the case. A lot of people would probably be really surprised at what's actually really popular in the mainstream as far as anime goes in Japan but just isn't marketed over here because it's not part of the major licensors business plan who are trying to push anime as a cool young adults teen fantasy type thing when that's generally frowned upon by your every day person as a socially misfit geeks hobby but for a handful of franchises.
PeacingOutFeb 28, 2016 1:26 PM
Feb 28, 2016 1:35 PM
May 2015
Shaft is God.
I can't wait to watch.
Feb 28, 2016 1:56 PM

Dec 2012
Ketuekigami said:

It's big for a non-public series. Madoka opened at 129 screens.

For comparison a public one like Naruto opened at 260+ theaters in it's first week.
tsudecimoFeb 28, 2016 2:01 PM
Feb 28, 2016 2:13 PM

Aug 2015
Pretty good movie, but I bet they expected even higher sales for such a highly anticipated adaption.
Feb 28, 2016 2:49 PM

Sep 2012
They waited too long. Kizumonogatari movie should have come out years ago, 2011 or 2012 or whenever they first meant to do it. Back then the TV anime was selling 80K discs on average but now it sells under 30K. Interest has waned. Too bad really. Still makes money but I think it could have sold 2-4 million yen if they'd released it years ago.
Feb 28, 2016 7:45 PM

Mar 2015
that's extreamly slow TBH, comparing all the hype around it. they should release it back then when it still on peak.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 28, 2016 8:10 PM

Nov 2007
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Source for 1.37bn for Psycho-Pass? Last known figure frequently quoted in Japanese sales community is only 850m yen. It would've been on the 1bn yen+ yearly list at eiren.org if it passed 1bn...

Japanese source for Gintama 2nd Movie at 1.89 billion yen? Eiren.org had it at 1.7 billion yen in the 2013 yearly list.
EjcFeb 28, 2016 8:36 PM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Feb 28, 2016 9:15 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Ejc said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Source for 1.37bn for Psycho-Pass? Last known figure frequently quoted in Japanese sales community is only 850m yen. It would've been on the 1bn yen+ yearly list at eiren.org if it passed 1bn...

Japanese source for Gintama 2nd Movie at 1.89 billion yen? Eiren.org had it at 1.7 billion yen in the 2013 yearly list.
Gintama earned approximately $16.6 million which roughly equates to ¥1.89 billion (granted inflation). http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-05/final-gintama-film-sells-1-million+tickets http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/the-asian-films-driving-global-box-office

You might be right about the Psycho-pass total, I found some sources that also point a ¥850 million. I misread its Friday opening of ¥137 million
Feb 28, 2016 9:30 PM

Nov 2007
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Ejc said:

Gintama earned approximately $16.6 million which roughly equates to ¥1.89 billion (granted inflation). http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-05/final-gintama-film-sells-1-million+tickets http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/the-asian-films-driving-global-box-office

You might be right about the Psycho-pass total, I found some sources that also point a ¥850 million. I misread its Friday opening of ¥137 million

I thought so. That is converted from the JPY total in 2014, where the USD to JPY is different from now. Better to use verified Japanese sources as I said, as currency exchange rates change all the time. So around 1.7 billion yen for Gintama Movie 2:
http://www.eiren.org/toukei/
EjcFeb 28, 2016 9:33 PM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Feb 29, 2016 2:24 AM

Jan 2016
my god the wait is killing me, i want all three movies right in front of me and i want it NOW! grrrrrr!
Feb 29, 2016 2:33 AM

Nov 2013
What's with all these comparison and / or competition?. I think based on what I saw two days ago at the theater combine with the figures I saw it being at ¥719,255,950 or USD $6,376,952.02 this article on it's 5th week:

http://www.someanithing.com/268

I can accurately say that SHAFT already got what they spent on making the film on it's entirety trilogy rather than just this release alone. Nekketsu-hen and Reiketsu-hen Earnings will be surplus. Whilst the series isn't as popular as it once was back on the day, I'm sure that SHAFT took that into account and which is precisely the explanation of splitting the adaptation into three segments.

At this point and time SHAFT is doing nothing more than building momentum!, As many of you guys here seem to have forgotten Bakemonogatari it's Re-Airing as of now all over again on TV since it's full conclusion back on 2010!.

We are overlooking that the japanese don't have streaming site and on this gap of sequels there is a sea of people that have never heard of Bakemonogatari.

Owarimonogatari just finished and took many new viewers by surprised regardless of it's sales. Paired with Koyomimonogatari made available through a Phone App to which the Japanese are quite fond off more so than PC's themselves unlike us the western counterpart.

By Re-Airing of Bakemonogatari, Shaft is Revamping on a daring strategy to recruit and / or encompass more ground than it's pre-established one.

From a market sells point of view, The strategy it's daring as it is ingenious. Creating so much momentum for the series that I can honestly say that Part 2 and Part Three will make way more money than Tekketsu-hen did.

Tekketsu-hen was nothing short of advertisement as well as a time buyer for the train that is approaching. Monogatari Series Final Season it's about to finish literally needing 4 arcs total, 1 belonging to Zoku-Owarimonogatari.

I think it's far to early for anyone to count SHAFT studios out, It surprises me that no one has brought up SHAFT partnership with XEBEC the renown makers of Ecchi anime, As the art was very similar with Maken-ki Two and Lady vs Butlers with a more sharper tone. TNK responsible for High School DxD also partnered in.

I'm wondering why would SHAFT increase partners, Wouldn't that mean less of a cut for them?
ChaoticThinkerFeb 29, 2016 2:43 PM
Hayao Miyazaki was a Mistake
-Anime

Mar 3, 2016 10:32 AM

Sep 2015
It's actually not that much of a surprise for me. Seeing how revolutionary and well perceived this series is, it's not that much a stretch to say that this is the most anticipated anime movie this season (it is certainly for me, tied with the Digimon Adventure Tri.).
Any cute girls please feel free to join my harem: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=70667
Mar 27, 2016 8:41 AM

Aug 2014
I'm very happy to hear this...Now if only i could watch the first movie already >_<
Apr 1, 2016 5:00 PM

Nov 2013
Kryptiq said:
I'm very happy to hear this...Now if only i could watch the first movie already >_<

You will probably be able to see it from July 27th forward since that's the release date.
Hayao Miyazaki was a Mistake
-Anime

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

94 by Noy_Rican »»
11 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 7 hours ago

12 by Hoppy »»
1 hour ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
10 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.