Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 23, 2016 8:44 AM

Aug 2013
I enjoyed the music and visuals, but most people will say the main point of it was the drama and dynamics between the main characters. I didn't particularly like the majority characters so the dramatic scenes didn't have much of an impact on me.
Jul 23, 2016 8:53 AM

Sep 2012
Dropped it on episode 1 because every single character was irritating and terrible. The show contradicted itself thematically, remarkably within the span of the first few scenes (hint: that's not a good fucking sign). The comedy was brazenly unfunny, if not sickeningly mean spirited and uncomfortable. And I got the sense that the use of classical music was just there as pretentious window dressings to make itself seem more legitimate and not just a standard poorly thought out mess slapped together to sell anime girl figurines.

Like playing Chopin over a scene somehow elevated it into some sort of higher art that was more dramatic and heartfelt because pretty piano.

The whole show makes me think of a little girl wearing her mother's high heels and drinking grape juice out of a wine glass because she wants to feel all growed up. But then spilling it on herself and ruining the dress because she's too clumsy in the shoes and doesn't have any real respect for the clothing.
Jul 27, 2016 3:57 PM
Jun 2010
animesannin said:
I still haven't watched it but I think its gonna be a good one, it is in my august to watch list.

please don't , you gonna regret it , 100% guarantee
Jul 28, 2016 1:06 PM
Jul 2016
animesannin said:
I still haven't watched it but I think its gonna be a good one, it is in my august to watch list.

I envy you. I wish i could lose my memory and watch it again.
Jul 28, 2016 1:08 PM

Jun 2016
I dropped it after a few minutes but I'm thinking of giving it another chance since I've heard so many good things about it.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jul 28, 2016 5:13 PM

Oct 2015
Pros:

-Animation
-Music

Cons

-Shitty story/plot

-shitty characters with 0 character development

-main character is a cuck.

-romance was GARBAGE

The fact that I watched the train wreck that is Clannad and Clannad AS. I didn't think I could do worse. The first season of clannad was ass, gave it a 4. AS was much better even had me tear up a few times(gave it a 6), but the ending was absolutely terrible.

The fact that this show did everything Clannad did wrong, but WORSE is unbelievable to me.

Only Eureka 7 was more of a let down for me, and even though I consider that the worst anime I have watched. There are still more memorable moments (probably because it is a failed clone of NGE and Gundam)

Looking back, the only redeeming quality of this show was the music, and that is a shit argument to consider this good because we do not watch anime for the music.
Jul 30, 2016 2:26 AM

Jan 2013
It was a good show for sure.
Allthough this is probably the first time I think a show doesnt deserve such a high rating ... in my opinion.
All fair to the people that loved it death (no pun intended) but the pacing was slow, jokes were ill timed and a few other things.

Already said my words on the final episode discussion.

Still rated it an 8/10 because I do think it's a good show, Kaori's reasoning behind what she did was a highlight of the show.
Jul 30, 2016 6:59 AM

Aug 2014
boring, disgusting melodrama, annoying characters, abysmal comedy, predictable story...

this is the new clannad? seriously, comparing this to clannad is offensive! clannad has a heart, clannad has a story to tell.

this is pure autism.
Jul 31, 2016 11:33 PM

Apr 2014
I don't really like the comedy aspects and the shitty art during those moments that are supposed to be for comedic effect. I also don't like how much I keep thinking of Ao no Exorcist the whole time because the main guy is vaguely similar in appearance to Rin. The lip shadows are really fucking distracting too, these aren't full lipped back people here and the light doesn't really case THAT MUCH of a shadow.

tldr Typical A1 try hard visuals

I do enjoy romance anime though, so Im hoping there will be some redeeming qualities - probably should mention I have only seen 2 episodes

Jul 31, 2016 11:36 PM
Nov 2010
Pluses:
- Music
- Graphics
- Animation
- FEELS

Neutral:
- Story
- Characters

Minuses:
- Humour
- Unrealistic philosophical/metaphorical stuff expressed by young kids

I'll also add that those who expect romance in this anime, don't expect too much. Romance is not really the central theme of this anime.
Aug 9, 2016 12:12 PM
Aug 2015
For me. SWKNU is better than clannad or clannad after story. But not better than anohana for the fell. I like the first half of the story though, but became cliche at the end. What made it better than clannad is just in enjoyment. I could watch it without thinking. But when i watch clanad:after story which is praised for its fell touch, i cant help but thinking whos that girl with robot? Their kid from other dimension? And i just focused on that not the fell. Im gratefull that swknu did not make the same thing for me. So 8/10 for this show
Aug 9, 2016 1:43 PM
May 2013
So , this anime is really predictable and the characters who should have more time on scene didnt have it (Kaori for example who is the main character lolz ),therefore development wasn;t done well ,but the whole anime is really enjoyable and if you like music then you won;t be dissapointed . I really enjoyed it ,so I would give 8,5/10 , but maybe cause of classical music which i really like ? It;s cause of it i think .
Aug 12, 2016 11:18 PM

Nov 2014
Its at #14 top rated anime so the score speaks for itself, some people hate it but its just the minority
Aug 19, 2016 8:13 PM

Feb 2013
I'm the type of guy that watches the high octane action animes, not so much into the slice of life or romance genre. However, after watching the PV, I thought this was going to be a lighthearted show with amazing music and visuals that will entertainment me for a while. I guess I was partially right.

After realizing the fate of Kaori and the meaning of the title mid way through the season, my heart strings were tugged and my tears were shed every episode (I felt embarrassed) waiting for inevitable tragedy. In the end, I still wasn't able to hold back my tears. This time, they weren't tears of sorrow or sadness, but tears of joy.

After watching this show, I have found a new prospective on life while also realizing how fragile and beautiful life and relationships truly are. From the bottom of my heart, I can feel its impact on my life and the actions I make. That is why this will be one of the animes I'll hold close to my heart until the day I die.
Aug 24, 2016 7:14 PM

Aug 2015
I see the harshest criticism of this show often comes from people still in their mid to early teens.
Aug 24, 2016 7:17 PM

Mar 2014
It's such a beautiful show. I loved it from start to finish.
Aug 26, 2016 5:03 PM

Dec 2014
Well... Shigatsu has really great pluses, but has some really bad minuses in my opinion.

If I have to mention issues I have with the show, I don't like how it often mood-swings. It often went from melodramatic to comedic in a few seconds, thus ruining any chance for me to 'feel' the tension going on. The comedy is poorly handled as well. The characters aside from Kousei and Kaori don't pique my interest much and Tsubaki even annoyed me at some point. And I just felt that they don't act like their age...

On the bright side however, I genuinely love the graphics and classical music (I'm a huge sucker for this type of music). Also, they put a lot of effort into developing Kousei (who is arguably the most developed character out of the cast), plus the last two episodes ripped my heart out and made me cry like a baby, and made me like Kaori more than ever.

7/10 for me, I guess.
KOZ8888Aug 26, 2016 5:13 PM
Apr 2, 2017 11:52 PM

Jan 2016
Your lie in april is literally trash. Why do people think your lie in april is good? Here are some things that makes it trash
1: the romance is too forced
2: no likeable characters
3: its boring af
4: it just keeps getting more annoying to watch each ep

The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Apr 3, 2017 12:12 AM

Oct 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
Your lie in april is literally trash. Why do people think your lie in april is good? Here are some things that makes it trash
1: the romance is too forced
2: no likeable characters
3: its boring af
4: it just keeps getting more annoying to watch each ep

that's just your opinion, judging by the rating of the show, you're in the minority who felt that the show was boring
Apr 10, 2017 8:05 AM

Jul 2014
Regurgitated from another thread...

OppaiSugoi said:
I'm pretty much going to drop this one. Damn Kaori and company keep toying with Kousei and his phobia of the piano. Seriously they are very insensitive of his feelings that would drive someone to suicide. I had this on a long hiatus on ep11, got around to rewatching it again from the beginning, and now triggered by dumbshits having a laugh on Kousei basically to where I'm now again having this on hold at ep11 since I can't stand this shit anymore. Kousei's liking for Kaori should've never happened.

Basically Fuck this Shit.

OppaiSugoi said:
In the end, after putting it on hold AGAIN, I've decided to drop this. Shit writing for shit characterization.
Feb 28, 2018 8:11 PM

Feb 2018
My opinion may not matter anymore because of how old this thread is, but here I go.

Just finished it and it is honestly the best anime I have ever seen. Although I have started watching anime recently, it has currently become my personal favorite.

Like what many other people have said, the negative opinions are just a small minority of people who hate it (or are trolls lol). Anyways, I am a musician myself and I am a sucker for stories about violinists, pianists, or about any musician you can think of. After watching the series, it has honestly given me an answer on why many people like myself play instruments. I really did like the characters in this show, and I can relate to most of them. Plus, the chemistries between character was really cool to watch throughout the entire series. To be fair, I do feel like some of them got underdeveloped, had questionable decisions, and other small nitpicks, but I still liked them at the end.

Overall, I think you should give it a try. The characters are pretty likable, the plot is one of my favorites, it is a 10/10 in my book. Like what I said before, do not let a small minority of negative opinions prevent you from watching anything. If you like it, you like it. If not, so be it.

Mar 5, 2018 2:38 AM

Jul 2014
JLeo20 said:
My opinion may not matter anymore because of how old this thread is, but here I go.

Just finished it and it is honestly the best anime I have ever seen. Although I have started watching anime recently, it has currently become my personal favorite.

Like what many other people have said, the negative opinions are just a small minority of people who hate it (or are trolls lol). Anyways, I am a musician myself and I am a sucker for stories about violinists, pianists, or about any musician you can think of. After watching the series, it has honestly given me an answer on why many people like myself play instruments. I really did like the characters in this show, and I can relate to most of them. Plus, the chemistries between character was really cool to watch throughout the entire series. To be fair, I do feel like some of them got underdeveloped, had questionable decisions, and other small nitpicks, but I still liked them at the end.

Overall, I think you should give it a try. The characters are pretty likable, the plot is one of my favorites, it is a 10/10 in my book. Like what I said before, do not let a small minority of negative opinions prevent you from watching anything. If you like it, you like it. If not, so be it.

I am sick and tired of seeing so many people praise Your Lie in April and not noticing the very offensive problem with how this anime treats depression/abuse/mental illness and its recovery process.

Please read this set of comments for an explanation on why (everyone else who loves this show should read this, too):

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1364128#msg38819030

There is very good reason to dislike this show, and this should probably be the biggest factor. Not the cringey dialogue, not the constant monologues that interrupt and distract from the music performances (which breaks the "show, don't tell" idea), not the lack of individual characterization for most of the side characters (a lot of those characters revolve *too much* around Kousei in some way). All of these things are important flaws, of course, but still nothing compared to the anime outright being offensive and harmful in its messages about recovering from depression, abuse, and trauma.

Apparently the vast majority of people weren't able to notice this problem.
LightBladeNovaMar 5, 2018 3:36 AM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Mar 5, 2018 5:14 PM
Oct 2017
It’s a great show but the first half is honestly pretty bad.
Mar 6, 2018 10:47 AM
Jan 2018
Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso is just the best anime ever! Story, music, animation, all is amazing! My favorite anime! Kaori is my favorite anime character of all!
Mar 7, 2018 8:52 PM
Mar 2018
This IS the best anime you will watch. Out of the 100s of anime's I've watched, (ik sounds cringy) this one is one to be remembered. The directing is insanely good, deserves more credit than it has.
Mar 12, 2018 3:04 PM
Aug 2017
The ending hit me hard, especially after the letter..
Mar 27, 2018 6:44 PM
Mar 2018
pretty interesting anime about art (not quite about love between the boy and the girl). There's always deathly passion in art, and this anime expresses it well. From the continued torture of the protagonist to how his girl is playing violin without an actual violin besides her deathbed (which reminds me the protagonist of Japanese TV show White Tower performing surgery without knives in his office...), this show really is about artists. There's torture (imaginable it's Whiplash style), dream, real sorrow, and amazing art that flows out at the end of it. The protagonist's girl discovers the original and wild music when enlightened (facing death) instead of following any patterns.

(haven't watched whole of it, know all the plot since I watched some kinda detailed plot summarization, but i think i got the point of it...)
Apr 2, 2018 10:23 AM
Feb 2018
It's simply awesome. Definitely one of the most touching anime I've ever seen. Plot, music, characters...unforgettable.
Apr 18, 2018 1:53 PM
Jan 2018
CONTAINS SPOILERS

And here is one of the few rated 10 animes on my list. It was on my plan to watch for awhile, and my friends kept telling me to watch it. One day, the perfect opportunity arose. I found a day of school I could skip, and binged the entire thing, all 22 episodes. And boy was I glad I did. Even though it has such a simple plot at the end, it takes you on a wild ride all throughout the show. Not only that, but the supporting cast/not the main musicians all have very strong personalities. This is essential to a great show, leaving your audience with the feeling of that they have everything. That is how I felt after watching it. Coming from someone who suffers from depression and finds himself thinking he has no worth and his life is empty, I can you this:after watching the show, I felt more completed that I ever have before. I just had the feeling of pure satisfaction. It perfectly depicts what everyone goes through in life, and what we must all go through eventually. In some animes, the death of a mc or love interest is often forced to drive the plot or create emotions, but here, that death seems at one with the plot. It was a natural part of the show, and one that made it great.
Apr 18, 2018 7:09 PM
Oct 2017
Great show, and the melodrama critics are just looking too hard for something to attack. Plot, animation, and characters were all really well made. 10/10 in my opinion.
Apr 21, 2018 5:37 PM

Aug 2011
I dropped this show at around episode 10 when it became clear as water that
I could read this show like a book and it annoyed me. Sure enough when I came back and checked after the show had finished ariring I was right about most things.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Is this worth watching even if you got spoiled on the ending ? ( 1 2 )

Mister_WD - Apr 23, 2022

70 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 15, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Who do you like with Kousei Arima more ?

randomlock - Mar 24, 2016

20 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 15, 11:47 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2014

286 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 14, 9:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.