Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 2, 2016 8:13 PM
Jun 2012
I wonder what they referred to this time. I feel that there are too many unused details if you just point at an abstract radical group. Poisoning? It doesn't quite match the sort of self-destruction described in the article about United Red Army. The only link with miyazawa kenji is that he was a social activist? Kinda weak. Vengeance? Easy to see how it could happen, but was there anything exactly like that?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think it might be reference to specific incident closely matching the metaphor. Otherwise the story would lose its appeal. All that careful evasion of actual subject only works if there *is* actual subject.
Mar 5, 2016 10:43 AM
Mar 2008
This shit is 2deep4me
Mar 7, 2016 12:58 AM

Sep 2013
This story is deep as shit
Mar 8, 2016 3:27 AM
Mar 2012
Elfster said:
I wonder what they referred to this time. I feel that there are too many unused details if you just point at an abstract radical group. Poisoning? It doesn't quite match the sort of self-destruction described in the article about United Red Army. The only link with miyazawa kenji is that he was a social activist? Kinda weak. Vengeance? Easy to see how it could happen, but was there anything exactly like that?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think it might be reference to specific incident closely matching the metaphor. Otherwise the story would lose its appeal. All that careful evasion of actual subject only works if there *is* actual subject.

Story felt very weird. It sort of made sense and First love sommelier was an interesting idea/character. Be better if they explain what the furry cult/group did (or more Red Army reference). It's implied the furries killed/hurt someone, and Benjent killed them in revenge. Birds are just temp followers so weren't important. Also they should've explained the board more at 17:44. But reading more, I realized it's a Kenji Miyazawa themed episode, more than the aunt's love.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenic_areas_of_Ihatov
So Miyazawa's from Hanamaki. His children stories have lots of furries. Speaks Esperanto (Benjant translation as avenger). Buddhist/social activist. Maybe coincidence, but the Ihatov includes the Oi Forest (Wolf forest).

Backstory reveal showed Benjant really cared for her, banished her to protect from the group. It was sweet she confirmed her memories, that her love was real. She was quite worried she'll gradually die of poison. But what they confirmed is, sommelier's onigiri's different from her memory, so furries' death is no longer "in darkness" but from poison, and she had a small bite of poison. It's nice to know the truth, but sucks to know she took some poison, though probably not lethal. This time Sommelier solved the case, Haru just added explanations.
gophercgMar 8, 2016 3:31 AM
Mar 9, 2016 11:58 AM

Feb 2015
this episode is so fucking weird tbh, or more like confusing, or more like too stupid to me
benjant, in the end is it a human or a bear ? what is going on ?!!!
aside of that, i found the joke was very funny to me especially, Naoko and that new guy's arguement in the clubroom XD that was funny and i like First love sommelier guy personality XD but it's weird that he can keep calm with the fact that he suddenly got dragged to a girl's house and sleep over night in it. that is really weird. i even want to know how can he did that LOL. that's all. other than the comedy i don't know what's going on. well, at least i know her past but was benjant a human or a bear ?!!! is that real or just an imagination of her.........fucking too deep for me to understand.
SPEAK ENGLISH!!! E...N...G...L...I...S...H!!!
YizelTroMar 9, 2016 12:03 PM
Mar 20, 2016 10:42 AM

Jun 2013
Interesting and cute episode! :)
Mar 30, 2016 12:22 PM

May 2012
Okay episode, not really anything interesting other than it being weird.
Apr 17, 2016 4:04 AM

Apr 2014
What the hell was this?
Jul 20, 2016 9:06 AM

Apr 2009
Weirdness overload on this episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2016 11:34 AM
Nov 2016
This anime has got me pausing the videos many times to think about what could have happened next.

What's best is how episode 8 made me thought about it through the long night and I find this really impressive for a mystery/detective anime show. :)

Due to the analogy of using animals to describe ''Children of the Forest'' and references to Esperanto languages like Purastelo and Vengenta , it's easy to get intrigued or confused.

So basically if you have watched - it's about Naoko Serizawa 's aunt wanting to find out about her first love. After unsuccessful attempts with private investigators and such, she gave up - until First Love Research Group from their school got her aunt to once again investigate about her true etc.

So what was the ''The Children of the Forest'' all about?

In the anime we were told that it has a group of 8 people, Benjant(The bear) , Lions, Wolf etc, excluding the birds.

In my opinion, it could have referred to a political group, where Benjant is part of unwillingly.

Serizawa's aunt told Chika and his friends that Benjant always referred himself to being Venganto - meaning Revenge.
From this, we could see that Benjant is unwillingly part of the group and really poisoned the other mammals to death. But why?
Benjant might not have really liked the group's way of thinking, I was thinking he got into the group based on family background(Bears are part the predator group in real wilderness)
Reasons I thought of include:
#1 Revenge for his family/friends that could have died while being part of the group
#2 End the nonsensical political views that the group had, which has various negative impacts of the whole community(forest). (This makes sense to why the aunt said that ''The birds always went there to cause commotions'')

There were main two things that led me to thinking this :
#1 When Naoko Serizawa 's aunt (as portrayed as a young girl) was lost in the forest - she saw the lion conducting a speech about wanting to expand the forest and such, indicating dictatorship among the strong(the predators)

#2 When Chika and Haruta arrived at Hanamaki station to stop Serizawa's aunt from meeting Benjant, Chika spotted a poster about Hanamaki

'' Welcome to Hanamaki of Ihatov! Ihatov is a name given by the japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa, meaning the ideal hometown from a man's imaginary world ''
There is a theory that it could have been an Esperanto pun on the ideas of Ihatov, a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of the word. So is it really an ideal hometown?
This shows how Hanamaki could have different ways of how society functions, and well, it could been all about flowery speeches with no actual establishments done to create an ideal society.

All in all, I find it really nice how the anime used analogies and set people thinking - forming different views of the situation. It speaks about Humans emotions (seeking revenge) and the dark side of the political world, sparking underlying resentments and such. A truly fulfilling episode!!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something....

yukiyamayui - Nov 16, 2023

0 by yukiyamayui »»
Nov 16, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2016

429 by Nakano_Nin0 »»
Sep 16, 2022 6:05 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

124 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 26, 2022 8:56 PM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2016

126 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 24, 2022 9:16 PM

» Why is HaruChika's rating so low

ChrisAMV - Mar 5, 2016

41 by PowerMinerYT »»
Jun 15, 2022 3:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.