Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 23, 2016 8:00 PM

They're making incredible progress.

A new version of Atlas, designed to operate outdoors and inside buildings. It is electrically powered and hydraulically actuated. It uses sensors in its body and legs to balance and LIDAR and stereo sensors in its head to avoid obstacles, assess the terrain and help with navigation. This version of Atlas is about 5' 9" tall (about a head shorter than the DRC Atlas) and weighs 180 lbs.

Does the future of robotics excite or terrify you?

Would you like to own one?

If robots become intelligent, would it be immoral to own one?

Feb 23, 2016 8:03 PM

I think that stuff is super cool, and it can help immensely in exploration.

Feb 23, 2016 8:10 PM

Robotics is insanely exciting to me. My brain is fried from studying so I don't want to get into it, but the whole morality debate is something that's definitely gonna be big in the future. Though owning one would be interesting to say the least.

On another note, a friend of mine actually programmed a personal assistant AI last year by himself and is working on giving it basic integration with artificial neural networks. It's wicked cool stuff.

Feb 23, 2016 8:15 PM

It excites me, but I am terrified of how others will react to them. Sapient robots challenge our own sense of humanity and I doubt many will take that kindly. I am also worried that sapient robots would be abused by people unable to accept them as intelligent ai with emotions. I also cant imagine the pure cancerous ignorance that religious fucktards are gonna stir up.

Feb 23, 2016 8:25 PM

First time I've seen them let it walk alone tether free. It's also very cool to see it operating outdoors and doing all those tasks.

I'm looking forward to the future of robotics but I wonder how things will be handled when artificial intelligence comes into it. Are they going to apply Asimov's laws?

Feb 23, 2016 8:25 PM

sex robots when? kidding...........

Feb 23, 2016 8:26 PM

Even though it's a robot... that abuse is really mean ; - ;

poor robot!

Feb 23, 2016 8:27 PM

I would rather something that is quieter than something that damn noisy. just to be bipedal

I started laughing when he was pushing the box away from it and hitting it. Where can I sight up to get the job of being a dick to robots?

Feb 23, 2016 8:35 PM
stop robot bullying!!! /joke

nice progress in robotics by google

few more years and i think factory work will be totally obsolete and be replace by robots

still there should be a miracle tech breakthrough when it comes to batteries, i mean the robots battery pack is so big and i bet it will not last a full day, and also the robots hydraulics are still noisy, i remember reading the 4 legged robot of google was not considered by DARPA because of its so noisy, DARPA wants a silent robot for stealth/spying purposes

Feb 23, 2016 11:26 PM

Jayden said:
I think that stuff is super cool, and it can help immensely in exploration.

I didn't think of that. They could be sent into caves, at the bottom of oceans, to other planets, etc. The possibilities are endless.

ModeratelyHuman said:
It excites me, but I am terrified of how others will react to them. Sapient robots challenge our own sense of humanity and I doubt many will take that kindly. I am also worried that sapient robots would be abused by people unable to accept them as intelligent ai with emotions. I also cant imagine the pure cancerous ignorance that religious fucktards are gonna stir up.

In recent years, religious people haven't been stirring up much shit. Most of the whining and protesting lately has come from so-called progressives. Some of them have already called sex bots sexist.

Zoron said:
I'm looking forward to the future of robotics but I wonder how things will be handled when artificial intelligence comes into it. Are they going to apply Asimov's laws?

I'm hoping. It would seem like the common sense thing to do. And when sentience is developed for robots (or if they develop it on their own), we should probably give them the same citizens rights that humans have. We shouldn't continue to treat them as slaves if they can think.

Veneficia said:
sex robots when? kidding...........

Lol, Japan is already working on those, actually. and they're creepy as fuck

Tomato said:
Even though it's a robot... that abuse is really mean ; - ;

poor robot!

Right? I felt a little sorry for it, too. We're wired to sympathize for living things, and Atlas is realistic enough to make us think it's alive.

j0x said:
still there should be a miracle tech breakthrough when it comes to batteries, i mean the robots battery pack is so big and i bet it will not last a full day, and also the robots hydraulics are still noisy, i remember reading the 4 legged robot of google was not considered by DARPA because of its so noisy, DARPA wants a silent robot for stealth/spying purposes

Yeah, it makes you appreciate how amazing the human body is. There is SO much going on inside of us, and yet it all barely makes a sound.

Feb 24, 2016 12:34 AM

If I have an 80 kg loli gynoid I would do the same thing, telling her to pick up boxes and trick her and push her down to the ground because it's just so damn cute.

Feb 24, 2016 12:38 AM

Cool.
Looks like we're still pretty far away from androids though lol

Feb 24, 2016 9:36 AM

TKotarou said:
Cool.
Looks like we're still pretty far away from androids though lol

We're making progress very quickly though. This new version of Atlas is certainly a breakthrough. Here's what it looked like just 3 years ago.

It's smaller now, more stable, and it can pick up boxes and move without a tether. I suspect around 15 years from now, maybe sooner, these kinds of robots will have human level mobility.
Modified by aikaflip, Feb 24, 2016 9:46 AM

Feb 24, 2016 9:37 AM

stop fucking bullying him, he didnt do anything wrong he just wants to lift his boxs