Forum Settings
Forums

Is score important for you when choosing what to watch ?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Feb 22, 2016 10:59 PM

Dec 2012
Sometimes, but it doesn't really matter as long as i like the synopsis.
Sometimes the seiyuu drag me in though.
Feb 23, 2016 12:07 AM
Feb 2016
I'm not above judging a book by it's cover, but at the same time there are some gems that are lower rated then they should be. Don't shoot me for saying it, since I did rate the show low myself, "School Days", is a perfect example of a well written story, a simply brilliant show, in all the wrong ways. Being such a rage inducing series that you feel no satisfaction from watching the entire series till the very end, you can't help but rate it poorly.

When the new season hits, like this Winters, I will ignore all shows scores. Simply, there is not enough there to decide whether the series has potential or not. Often it isn't till halve way through the season does a show either starts to shine or fades out of the limelight, and in some cases just implodes becoming a complete failure. There are many examples of these scenarios.

Basically, I use the scores to help decide on watching older series, new ones, I give many a chance, some I just don't have time for and fall back onto looking at scores to see if it may be worth a watch. Even finding myself watching shows I find are awful, but it's a genre I like and so on.
Feb 23, 2016 12:12 AM

Sep 2009
MY score is important. MAL score doesn't matter to me unless it's below 6, in which case it must indisputably be garbage.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 23, 2016 12:22 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
kamisama751 said:
HaXXspetten said:
Saying that MAL score doesn't matter at all is pretty ignorant. Obviously there is a reason why shows get good or bad scores. All you need to do is a) take into account whether you're in the same target demographic as the one the show in question is aimed towards, and b) don't forget about the sequel effect and the 1/5 rule, and consider how that affects the scores on this site. As long as you do that, then you can definitely use MAL score as a quite accurate indication as to whether the show in question is likely to be something you'll enjoy or not

Or if you just want to use statistical probability as an example, if you were to take 10 randomly picked shows in the top 100 ratings on MAL, and then do the same for 10 randomly picked shows all rated below 7.00 then I can guarantee that you'll have a MUCH greater chance of liking almost all the ones from the former group more than the ones from the second

Personally I've seen about two thirds of all the entries in the top 250 on MAL from just about every genre and I'll just say that I've liked probably around 90% of them. With a big enough sample size it kind of speaks for itself

Also in my experience I'd like to say that 7.00 is kind of the barrier where almost everything below it is in fact pretty much garbage. The only potential exceptions are either a) troll anime, or b) highly controversial series

Of course there are many right/acceptable scored shows. However, in order to be accurate for a ranking/database you need to do it right for nearly all anime or at least the known ones.
MAL failed it there. Sequel effect is a good example of failing to do so. Also don’t forget those idiots casuals who topped One punch man and Boku dake ga inai Machi into the top 10 even though there are only 4/5 episodes out at that time.
How should I trust something like that?

What I or the most people here want to say is not that all high scored anime are bad, rather just that the scores are more or less a bit “random generated”. There are good anime with a lower score for sure. Look at the older ones. Nearly no one knows them besides people who rate it critically(/good taste people) and they just rate it fair.
Oh there are tons of trash in the top 250 by the way.
Well that's also perfectly explainable. Every anime hits its peak at a certain point and then starts dropping. Some do it sooner, some do it later, but everything will in fact start to go down eventually. So in terms of very old anime it's perfectly understandable if they're generally lower rated because they will have been dropping for quite a long time already. Sure there are some series like LotGH which manage to stay somewhat stationary even today but that's just an exception. In the same way I can guarantee that everything in the current top 10 will be lower rated in 10 years than it is today

That, and as you said yourself, that kind of target demographic probably rates a bit more critically in general than others. But again, as long as you're actually aware of all this then you can still use MAL score as a decent indication. Just subconciously add like 0.20 or something to an anime like that and you'll be fine. Etcetera
Feb 23, 2016 12:54 AM
Nov 2013
No, half the people on these forums rate everything over 8, nuff'said.
Feb 23, 2016 1:03 AM

Nov 2013
Not really. I don't care about reviews either. I pick whatever sounds interesting to me and make my own opinion about it.
Feb 23, 2016 1:05 AM

Aug 2009
AllenVonStein said:
If you saw an anime or manga or whatever with a low score like 5 - 4

Are u still willing to watch it or u don't bother to add it to your list.

Yes I would still watch it. Everybody has different tastes.There is a saying that one man's garbage is another man's treasure.
Feb 23, 2016 1:06 AM
Mar 2015
Yes it is. Except for a few shows like Pokemon, Beyblade, Doraemon etc that I watched a kid I refuse to watch anything that is rated below 7.5 on this site unless it is recommended to me by a friend I know irl.
Feb 23, 2016 1:09 AM

Jan 2015
Scores are just for hipsters.....who cares if for example- action and comedy packed Heavy Object has only 6.83 or any short series and some boring/slow like Mushishi gas 8+ ? I know what I like and what I don't like....scores are not so important
Feb 23, 2016 1:13 AM

Aug 2015
Of course. If the series looks interesting, I'll give it a shot no matter what other people say about it. After all, my opinion may differ from theirs.
Feb 23, 2016 1:19 AM

Aug 2015
Since the average score for a mediocre anime seems to be around 7, I won't bother watching something that's below 6. Otherwise score doesn't mean much to me.
Feb 23, 2016 1:21 AM

Dec 2014
Lol I never really look into the score section. Synopsis first, then art, then reviews, etc.
Like, score is the least thing I would look at, perhaps.
But if it has shitty art, shitty reviews, and shitty synopsis, I would definitely jump into its score to see.

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Feb 23, 2016 1:21 AM

Aug 2010
No, I only pay attention to the synopsis and genre when I'm looking for new stuff to watch.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Feb 23, 2016 1:27 AM

Feb 2008
If I only watched anime based on MAL scores, I'd probably quit anime 25 times by now.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 23, 2016 1:33 AM
Feb 2015
I care a lot about the genre mostly, but if the show is generally rated under 6, I probably will not consider it unless its recommended to me personally
Feb 23, 2016 1:59 AM

Sep 2014
I usually read the synopsis + the cover page because if I find the "design" or "art" nice then I go for it
Feb 23, 2016 2:40 AM

Nov 2015
if the synopsis is interesting I will watch it

Feb 23, 2016 2:46 AM

Oct 2011
It is relatively important in terms of how I prioritize it. I get really curious when I see an anime that has a big score and try to find out what makes it appealing and well-received.
Feb 23, 2016 2:49 AM

Jul 2013
I don't really care for scores. Synopsis and voice actors is what matter for me.
Feb 23, 2016 2:49 AM

Sep 2014
If it looks like it would interest me I'll add it and watch it later, no matter what it's score and rank may be.
Feb 23, 2016 3:00 AM

Aug 2013
if it looks interesting, but has a low score, i might hesitate a bit. but i don't think it would stop me from watching it if i really is interested in it
Feb 23, 2016 4:07 AM
Jul 2015
After seeing people give out 9's and 10's to anime with only a handful of episodes out I stopped taking review scores too seriously.

I usually just look at the synopsis to see if it's interesting or not.
Feb 23, 2016 4:10 AM

Apr 2013
No,score doesn't affect me a lot. Well, sure I might skip some 5.5 rated show(but there arent many full lenght shows that get such low rating anyways), but I'm totally up to stuff thats 6.00+
I think MAL scores are still pretty inacurate.Like sequels always get super high ratings,plus there is somewhat a genre bias. A lot of moe CGDCT shows get quite low ratings,despite being quite good for their genre. Action/psychological tends to get higher ratings. I guess thats just what the majority enjoys. And also there are hyped shows every season,which get quite inflated ratings (but they drop down pretty quick) and then there are shows,that are actually decent,but overlooked due to more popular shows airing at the same time.

So yeah, I as moe/SoL lover, often dig around the 6.5-7.00 range,and I often find quite good shows,that are often just overlooked and dubbed as "ughh stupid highschool girl shit"
Feb 23, 2016 4:36 AM

Jan 2012
ezikialrage said:
.There is a saying that one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

that's true , i do the same as u , but score like 5-4 is not encouraging

Feb 23, 2016 4:40 AM

Jun 2014
It does, unless an anime really grabs my interest usually if its ranked like 3,000+ I'll be a bit worried about checking it out and if it's like 5,000+ I might not check it out out unless I can see its a really niche anime and I'm part of the niche it appeals to.
Feb 23, 2016 4:40 AM

Dec 2015
I don't even look at the scores, I barely even care what the synopsis says. I just watch what I think will appeal to me and score it on my own personal enjoyment.
Feb 23, 2016 4:42 AM
Jul 2018
I am way less likely to, seeing as there are many series I could watch that are well rated. However a low rating doesn't mean I wont check it out if it sounds interesting.
Feb 23, 2016 4:44 AM

Jan 2016
Before I joined MAL... I was just vaguely aware of this site. I only checked this for anime recommendations, before.

So, I can't care less about the general score MAL has for shows...(I'm only curious to see how my score stack up to the rest of the world)

Though... if it's personal scores of people... it depends but for the most part it's also the same as above.
Feb 23, 2016 4:55 AM

Jul 2015
Not at all, I only watch the plot and the picture (and the comments of my friends).
Feb 23, 2016 4:56 AM

Jun 2015
I have never looked at the anime/manga score for any series I wanna go into so....

I feel a bit stupid now knowing something like that actually exists. Oh well, it doesn't still make a difference.
'Life is full of ups and downs, trials and tribulations, successes and disappointments. Think positive always and never allow disappointments drag you down. Hell! Disappoint anyone and everyone, but never and I repeat, NEVER disappoint yourself'.
Feb 23, 2016 5:01 AM

Aug 2015
For me, the genres and the review, is enough for me to choose, if i want to watch or not
Feb 23, 2016 5:40 AM

Sep 2015
Yes,I know well MAL,if an anime has a score below 7.50 I will be very wary about it.
Feb 23, 2016 9:25 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No, I don't even look at it. Synopsis, genres, PV, are more important to me.
Feb 23, 2016 11:13 AM

May 2014
People rate Anime/Manga differently,meaning that I give 7 score to a series I enjoyed and which I consider good,but for others 7 means average,even bad.So I can't 100% trust scores but If a show has a very low rating I'm not sure I'll dare to watch it.
Feb 23, 2016 11:31 AM

Jan 2012
GDSpeed said:
For me, the genres and the review, is enough for me to choose,

how do u choose ur Reviews , do u have a specific user who u trust ,tbh i mean reviews doesn't help at all .

the first reviewer think that story is 8/10 , art 7/10

the second one think that story is 4/10 , art 5/10

what are u going to do here ?

Feb 23, 2016 11:37 AM

Aug 2012
Nah, just a peek at the cover art or watching the pv is enough.
Feb 23, 2016 2:11 PM

Dec 2014
If the plot summary is still interesting enough, I'd give it a shot.
But I would probably prefer to watch something with a six or above.

Feb 23, 2016 3:02 PM

Oct 2015
Honestly I don't watch anything lower than 8. Other than a few shows, any show with a rating below 8 has generally disappointed me. There are a few dodgy ratings out there, but MAL generally has a decent ranking.
Feb 23, 2016 3:30 PM

Jul 2013
I don't go by MAL scores. Everyone has individual taste, so why would I base what I watch off someone else's? That doesn't make any sense.
Feb 23, 2016 3:34 PM

May 2009
genre→plot→art for me

scores...hmmmm usually when i am feeling really on the fence w/ a show but i always give it a try anyways
Feb 23, 2016 3:45 PM

Dec 2010
I never minded mean scores, but I know from experience that there are some pretty good titles in the top 2000 albeit I usually have better expectations of something coming from the Top 1000.

The point stays though, sometimes good stuff fly over people's heads(Nobunaga the Fool WHAT THE F$#@), give things a try if they look somewhat interesting to you from the premise or even the poster. They just might be good.
Feb 23, 2016 4:24 PM

Jun 2015
There's a hentai with close to an 8 rating. Need I say more?
良い曲 // アスカ名言

ママ、ママ、わかったわ。ATフィールドの意味!!私を護っていてくれてる!私を見てくれてる!!ずっと、ずっと一緒だったのね!ママッ!!

気持ち悪い
Feb 23, 2016 5:22 PM
Oct 2013
Nope,not at all I watch even if its underrated af
Feb 23, 2016 5:28 PM
Dec 2010
I think that the average score is usually pretty good representation of how good anime is (there are some exceptions, like multiple seasons of the same show, or very unpopular shows). There are no "individual tastes" over a large sample size.

I usually at least check the high rated (>8) shows if they doesn't look totally uninteresting to me, and don't even try low rated (<7.5) if they also look bad/average. It works most of the time.

Though there are some relatively high rated shows which are absolutely terrible (DanMachi...)
Feb 23, 2016 5:34 PM
Jul 2015
I don't use to rely on MAL scores, but when something has an score of 5 or less here... at least I want to watch it because its fame of trash I wiil think it twice.

Feb 23, 2016 5:39 PM

May 2015
Yeah. I'll be less interested in watching a show once I see it's rated in like the 1500s.

Feb 23, 2016 8:23 PM
Aug 2012
I don't actually let the score determine weather I watch it or not, I may take it into consideration after reading what the story is about and going over some reveiws. I give an anime at least 3 episodes before I deiced to drop it or not, which rarely ever happens.
Feb 23, 2016 9:05 PM

Jan 2013
Scores is important to me. Because if has a low rating, it's probably not good at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2016 11:56 PM

Aug 2015
tragedydesu said:
i dont watch anime that have score inferior to 7
because in mal 7 = bad

Unfortunately, this is pretty true. Actually, “7” should mean that the anime series which was awarded this score, is a good one and if it happens to be a bad one, it should, instead, receive a rating of 4 (based on the MAL guideline for ratings). Since it is most definitely not the case, the scores hold less value (at least, to me). Thus, you have to adjust them yourself if you want them to have some relevance and actually be worthy of your consideration.

As for myself, I will pretty much never watch anything that has a score of 7.50 or lower, but there is, obviously, some exceptions. For instance, I will almost always read some reviews before starting to watch a new anime series and this might influence my decision. Also, I only consider a few reviews worthy of being taken into account; those that were written by people that I find to be credible. I’m saying this, because, there’s certainly a pretty big bunch that truly isn’t.

Lastly, even if a certain anime series has an incredibly high score, it still doesn't mean that I will give it a try, since, maybe, by reading its synopsis or simply looking at its tags, I could very well realize that it's something that just doesn’t appeal to me, that I’m definitely not interested to watch.
Feb 24, 2016 12:13 AM

Feb 2016
I start with the higher rated ones and read reviews and look at everything until I find one that I want to watch. If it seems uninteresting, I skip it. If one with a lower rating looks promising, I'll still watch it - but why not have both when there's not enough time to watch everything? Besides, chances are if some of the top ones are to your taste, it'll be decent (and at least not end stupidly). And the ones that aren't will still be shite to you, but that's no reason to hate.

In other words, I see it as a list of what the most people recommended. I still have to choose because we have different taste, and I'm not going to care about half the things other people care about. There isn't anything wrong with agreeing or disagreeing with the rankings, even though we all secretly rejoice when things we love are loved by others.

That said, YOROZUYA foreva. Peace. XD XD
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

77 by logopolis »»
4 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 3 hours ago

13 by Kenzolo-folk »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 11 hours ago

41 by Absurdo_N »»
7 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 31 minutes ago

4 by EastIndiaCompany »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 56 minutes ago

12 by Zimmu »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.