Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 23, 2016 9:07 AM

Aug 2013
badwolf45f said:
I couldn't give less about the bite, is because they look GROSS, i have a big phobio of cockroaches and they dont bite, but they're GROSS oh god, just think about it makes me shiver.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Are the spiders in your area generally poisonous? What are the odds of getting bitten or even dying from a spider?

things like this just show how many people dont know how a phobia works, I dont have arachnophobia but like I said I have a big phobia of roaches, and hey guess what, they dont bite at all, but does that make the phobia go away? no, because it doesn't work like that, you're not scared of that thing "biting" you, you scared of the spider/bug itself, and it sucks because its an impulse you cant controll at all, my father doesn't understand either but hes always like "you make it such a big deal for a bug that doesn't even bite" and it pisses me off, because I KNOW, I Know they dont do anything, but people just dont understand what phobia is sigh.
I never thought of fears and phobias on this kind of scale. this is making me curious where this puts me. This is like the opposite case with bee's/wasp then.

Feb 23, 2016 9:15 AM

Sep 2014
badwolf45f said:
you dont go to a claustrophobic person telling that a small room isnt going to kill him, because first, they already know, second phobia doesn't work like that, even tho you know things are harmeless you just cant control feeling like your gonna die in that moment and the anxiety you feel -_-

I'm not talking about phobias, just the general "fear" or uneasiness of spiders. Arachnobia is a very common phobia, but not a lot of people that feel uncomfortable around spiders actually have it, those are just the "extreme" cases. No need to get your knickers in a twist.
Feb 23, 2016 10:07 AM

Feb 2013
SnugglyWhuggly said:

I'm not talking about phobias, just the general "fear" or uneasiness of spiders. Arachnobia is a very common phobia, but not a lot of people that feel uncomfortable around spiders actually have it, those are just the "extreme" cases. No need to get your knickers in a twist.

Sorry didn't want to actual make you sound like you were refering to people with phobia, I took your post as example because thats what many people tells me when I have phobia.

Feb 23, 2016 11:04 AM

Apr 2015
I'm not afraid of spiders but when I see one

I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Feb 23, 2016 11:10 AM

Jun 2015
i legit fucking hate any kind of insect let alone spiders, they creep the shit out of me. to be honest, even the butterflies scare me sometimes. idk, i have always had this fear and it's just stuck with me
Feb 23, 2016 11:16 AM

Apr 2010
crashinho said:
i legit fucking hate any kind of insect let alone spiders, they creep the shit out of me. to be honest, even the butterflies scare me sometimes. idk, i have always had this fear and it's just stuck with me
You can hate em forever, but without them you wouldn't be allowed to exist. It's a delicate ecosystem and every living organism is vital to the sustainment of any other, whether or not it's a direct relationship.
Pugs are the best dogs
Feb 23, 2016 11:27 AM

May 2014
Obviously can't speak for everyone, but for me it's definitely a swarm thing. It's not about the biting, nothing would change at all if they didn't even have teeth or any sort of mouthy bits, I'd still lose my shit entirely.

Big, solitary spiders are totally welcome (though jumping ones are pretty fuckin gross just because of the unpredictability) and I've had tarantulas as pets in the past with absolutely no issues. (Thought they were cute, even.)

But the little ones, man. The little ones skittering in droves evokes some kind of primeval terror in me that can't be shaken off. Like, I'll feel uneasy for weeks (though usually longer) if I see a nest in my house, even if it's completely destroyed in front of me. With the little ones it's always that nagging thought "what if I missed one" or "what about the eldritch horror that birthed these abominations?? IS SHE STILL OUT THERE?? WHAT IF SHE HIDES THE NEXT BATCH BETTER"

Also, as a kid I fell into a really disgusting nest face-first and had recurring nightmares for years, so that definitely didn't help.

Also-also last year I hauled my mattress in front of a screen door in the summer because it was 2hot and our air conditioner was broken. Long story short: I put a small fan in front of the screen for the days when there was no wind and one night (after it had rained) a shitload of baby spiders took shelter in the doorway and the fan fucking blew them in (they were juuusst small enough to fit through the screen) onto me. All over. Literally 50+ spiders. That shit just doesn't happen with any other kind of bug.
Feb 23, 2016 11:52 AM

Apr 2010
OatGoblin said:
That shit just doesn't happen with any other kind of bug.
Actually, most bugs reproduce in mass. I can't actually think of one that doesn't. Spiders tend to keep their eggs near a web or tethered to themselves. Just be glad it wasn't ants or bees, or what about wasps and hornets? You wouldn't just be worried that there's things crawling around with literally 0 ability to do damage at that point.
TyrelFeb 24, 2016 4:02 PM
Pugs are the best dogs
Feb 23, 2016 11:59 AM

Dec 2015
The way they move just creeps me out, also, the size of the spider also plays a role in me shitting my pants.

*Goes in shower*
*Sees a big arse spider on the wall*
"LOL NOPE, didn't need a wash anyway"
Feb 23, 2016 12:14 PM

Aug 2013
Rimpey said:
The way they move just creeps me out, also, the size of the spider also plays a role in me shitting my pants.

*Goes in shower*
*Sees a big arse spider on the wall*
"LOL NOPE, didn't need a wash anyway"

only spiders that camp in my shower are daddy long legs. (I'm sorry I don't know their proper name) They'll just be sitting there minding their own business and I guess the steam from the shower annoys them so they start to move. that's when I pretty much hop out. It's weird, as a kid I used to love daddy long legs.

Feb 23, 2016 12:20 PM

Sep 2014
badwolf45f said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

Sorry didn't want to actual make you sound like you were refering to people with phobia, I took your post as example because thats what many people tells me when I have phobia.

No worries, I just got defensive since I was being singled out there.
Well, people generally don't understand something they don't have or haven't experienced, so that doesn't surprise me. It's a shame when people aren't particularly empathetic, but I think a lot of the time people aren't intentionally trying to be insensitive.
Feb 23, 2016 12:42 PM

Apr 2014
SnugglyWhuggly said:
badwolf45f said:

No worries, I just got defensive since I was being singled out there.
Well, people generally don't understand something they don't have or haven't experienced, so that doesn't surprise me. It's a shame when people aren't particularly empathetic, but I think a lot of the time people aren't intentionally trying to be insensitive.
I don't know why I fear spiders. When I was about 12 me and my mate used to lift old fences and find snakes, lizards and either big house spiders or woodlouse spiders. I used to love catching them and letting them walk all over my hands.

But for some reason now I just can't bear them. When their in my room I even fear putting a glass over them if they're really big, and end up sitting on my bed looking all around the room. Funny, but seriously a nightmare for me. I also can't go anywhere near the daddy long leg spiders. I don't recall anything happening to start my fear, I just developed it somehow.

I wouldn't mind holding a tarantula as long as it's tame and slow, plus a slightly fatter one haha. There are some big tarantulas which still have thin legs.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Feb 23, 2016 1:04 PM

Mar 2014
I've been arachnophobic since I was a kid. It's terrible. It has gotten better over the years, but I still really hate them.
Feb 23, 2016 1:10 PM

Sep 2014
Dr_Mantis said:
I don't know why I fear spiders. When I was about 12 me and my mate used to lift old fences and find snakes, lizards and either big house spiders or woodlouse spiders. I used to love catching them and letting them walk all over my hands.

But for some reason now I just can't bear them. When their in my room I even fear putting a glass over them if they're really big, and end up sitting on my bed looking all around the room. Funny, but seriously a nightmare for me. I also can't go anywhere near the daddy long leg spiders. I don't recall anything happening to start my fear, I just developed it somehow.

I wouldn't mind holding a tarantula as long as it's tame and slow, plus a slightly fatter one haha. There are some big tarantulas which still have thin legs.

I don't think many people know why they fear what they fear when it comes to phobias, and they can come about suddenly like yours seemed to.

I've noticed quite a few people with arachnophobia who aren't so bad with tarantulas, funnily enough. Some species of tarantula are docile as rocks, I own a few as pets and most of them are incredibly placid.
Feb 23, 2016 1:13 PM

May 2014
chaunzaggaroth said:
OatGoblin said:
That shit just doesn't happen with any other kind of bug.
Actually, most bugs reproduce in mass. I can't actually think of one that doesn't. Spiders tend to keep their eggs near a web or tethered to themselves. Just be glad it wasn't ants or bees, or what about wasps and hornets? You wouldn't just be worried that there's things crawling around with literally 0 ability to do damage at that point.

Long winded reply, whoops.

I was referring to the fan bit there, I'm well aware that bugs produce a lot of hellspawn lol. Spiders are on a gross middle level between nasties in the air and nasties trapped on the ground, and that's half the issue (for me, at least). Buuut I guess I could also say spiders are the sort you're more likely to come across inside depending on where you live, and tend to be more of an obstruction?? I mean, ants swarm for sure, but usually around food and not in the middle of your ceiling in the night. (Also at least with ants there are some reliable extermination options if shit gets too real)

Also the thread's about why you fear them, and personally I'm not bothered by the thought of getting stung (happened really often as a kid, ahh the country life.) But nearly all aspects of little spiders en masse genuinely haunt me. It's entirely irrational, but it is what it is. Not all fears stem from taking damage, lol. The next closest thing I can think of is probably maggots squirming about, but it's nowhere near as bad (for me) because they can't exactly get far on their own. Maggots usually trigger a nigh-universal recoil/repulsion response even though there's no danger there, it's the same deal.

Plus it's like having a fear of deep/dark water even though you can swim perfectly. Someone going "at least there's no sharks in there" won't make a difference in the slightest, y'feel?

p.s: I'd rather be trapped in a room filled with angry wasps/hornets than one of those spider web forests any day. IMO there's no comparison to be had there.
Feb 23, 2016 1:16 PM

Feb 2016
OatGoblin said:

p.s: I'd rather be trapped in a room filled with angry wasps/hornets than one of those spider web forests any day. IMO there's no comparison to be had there.

Thanks for the nightmare fuel holy fuckin shit
Feb 23, 2016 1:20 PM

Apr 2014
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Dr_Mantis said:

I don't think many people know why they fear what they fear when it comes to phobias, and they can come about suddenly like yours seemed to.

I've noticed quite a few people with arachnophobia who aren't so bad with tarantulas, funnily enough. Some species of tarantula are docile as rocks, I own a few as pets and most of them are incredibly placid.
I imagine they actually feel nice to hold, kind of fluffy. Though that's just a theory, I might chicken out holding one if I actually had a chance haha.

I prefer the idea of scorpions.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Feb 23, 2016 1:29 PM

Feb 2016
chaunzaggaroth said:
Maybe Portia will help build a positive relationship with those claiming"arachnophobia."

Is there a reason you put arachnophobia in quotations as though it's not a real thing?
Feb 23, 2016 1:35 PM

May 2015
Inly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Are the spiders in your area generally poisonous? What are the odds of getting bitten or even dying from a spider?

Not a single chance of the average spider here biting you, let alone killing you. The majority of them are so small that, despite being plenty venomous to a smaller organism, they can't puncture human skin sufficiently enough to cause anything other than a potential allergic reaction (although those reactions can get bad if you're allergic enough). There are small (but growing) colonies of black widows and false widows on the mainland that most people don't actually realise are there at all and we have one very large domestic spider literally known as a giant house spider (size actually has nothing on an Australian huntsman though, we're just wimps) that has been known to bite and kill mid-sized dogs.

And yet none of this knowledge, that I am completely and utterly not going to be hurt by a native spider, has removed the phobia. Some days even looking at the word "spider" makes me all clammy and early-stage-panicky.

That's because phobia isn't just a fear. It's called 'irrational' not in a way to discredit you. It's a psychological condition, a fear that harms you - makes you panic/freeze/prevents you from functioning. Phobia is a serious matter.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 23, 2016 1:43 PM

Feb 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:

That's because phobia isn't just a fear. It's called 'irrational' not in a way to discredit you. It's a psychological condition, a fear that harms you - makes you panic/freeze/prevents you from functioning. Phobia is a serious matter.

I'm honestly just really glad someone gets it tbh. I swear to god arachnophobia (or any phobia) can be genuinely debilitating (there's been times I've had to sleep in the bathroom with things stuffed in the gap under the door because a spider was in the living room and I didn't see if it got into the bedroom when I ran away from it, or not been able to leave my flat because of a spider chilling on the door) and the majority of people just don't seem to get that it's not as easy as "just catch it in a glass and put it outside!"
Feb 23, 2016 4:09 PM

Mar 2014
Incognita said:
I was afraid of spiders for a long time. Then I realized there are way worse things than them. Praying mantis, for example.

Am still very afraid of them. But I'd sooner have one quietly hiding in the shadows than have one goddamm cricket loose again.
Feb 23, 2016 4:30 PM
Jul 2015
I used to have a bunk bed and i was just sitting there and out of nowhere this spider falls down right in front of my face, it was so close. i almost died. I smashed it with a tissue box i had but either way theyre still really creepy
Feb 24, 2016 1:12 AM

May 2015
Inly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I'm honestly just really glad someone gets it tbh. I swear to god arachnophobia (or any phobia) can be genuinely debilitating (there's been times I've had to sleep in the bathroom with things stuffed in the gap under the door because a spider was in the living room and I didn't see if it got into the bedroom when I ran away from it, or not been able to leave my flat because of a spider chilling on the door) and the majority of people just don't seem to get that it's not as easy as "just catch it in a glass and put it outside!"

I'm glad we've come to a mutual understanding. I did not talk about people with phobias in my original post since their fear stems from much deeper psychological roots. I do suggest you take some treatment for this phobia though. Phobia is never good.
Feb 24, 2016 1:44 AM

May 2015
Inly said:
chaunzaggaroth said:

"A mental disorder, also called a mental illness, psychological disorder or psychiatric disorder, is a mental or behavioral pattern that causes either suffering or a poor ability to function in ordinary life. "

Yeah it's clear you're having a tantrum dude, so keep at it. I'm not reading that wall of angst. More beautiful arachnids starting with the cross orbweaver

So you'll write a long-ass post disparaging someone but won't read their equally long-ass response? How about you stop fucking trolling, stop wanking over spiders, and (as I mentioned before) grow the fuck up.
Also please stop calling me dude, because I'm not one. Not that it makes a difference because I'm sick of this fucking discussion amd will be ignoring this topic entirely from here on in. I don't come on MAL to be accused of being things I'm not. Rude ass.

I think he tried to prove 'illness' and 'disorder' mean the same thing, which is just pointless semantic argument.

But if he's going to prove phobias don't exist, he needs serious back-up. If he wants to prove you don't have a phobia, how the hell can he do that?!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

55 by Destinesia »»
7 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 10 hours ago

9 by Hikinekomori »»
21 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 4 hours ago

7 by DesuMaiden »»
58 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

26 by deg »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Yesterday

12 by Lightskynight »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.