Forum Settings
Forums

Does rewatching something, ruins your expression of the title?

New
Feb 17, 2016 8:54 PM

Nov 2014
When you rewatch something, do you get the feeling that the first time it was much better? Recently I rewatched Darker than Black, and Kill la Kill. After watching them years ago I remembered them as some kind of perfection of an anime genre, but watching them again a second time I feel a bit disappointed finding out that they have more flaws.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 17, 2016 9:03 PM

Jan 2016
Nope.... It gets better in some cases... KlK and Gurren Lagann is a prime example of this...
Feb 17, 2016 9:04 PM

Nov 2015
Now I tried to reply to this like 5 minutes ago and it said invalid topic. I had such a nice long answer too -.-
Feb 17, 2016 9:04 PM

Feb 2013
It's definitely a different experience the second time around. For some it makes me appreciate the anime more and some I wonder why the hell I liked it. Our tastes changes with time and our perspective on shows are definitely going to change as well.
Feb 17, 2016 9:05 PM

Jul 2015
Nah, it actually makes me appreciate it even more.
Feb 17, 2016 9:07 PM

Oct 2015
I would say it gives you either a new insight about the show or/and your perspective gets more clear with the second watch
I loved death note and Code Geass the first time I watched but After going back I did find flaws but I wouldn't say it ruined it

Embrace the shows you like, whether its the flaws or the good stuff
Feb 17, 2016 9:07 PM

Feb 2016
Yeah. Since I've already absorbed the story it gives me time to focus on the details and pick out all the flaws which is why I tend to avoid rewatching anything.

▬▬▬▬▬✿♥✿▬▬▬▬▬
change of heart
Feb 17, 2016 9:08 PM

Feb 2013
Action is almost always best the first time around. This is why SOL is the best genre.
Feb 17, 2016 9:09 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Never, the Monogatari's are as great as when I first watched them.
Feb 17, 2016 9:10 PM

Oct 2014
I hated Spirited Away the first three times I watched it but I enjoyed it the fourth time I watched it. I rarely rewatch anime so I don't have too much experience in the matter.
Feb 17, 2016 9:12 PM
Jul 2018
I definitively know how you feel when you re-watch a show and your opinion change(mostly negative) since the first viewing. The three anime that come to mind are Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Madoka Magica: Rebellion, and Fate/Stay Night UBW (2014). When I first watch those series I was so amazed by their stories and characters, I felt they were the best anime to exist. However, after re-watching them the following year, I seen many plot-holes and other problems from the shows I did not notice from the first viewing.

In conclusion, I feel as ever year passes we get a little smarter and our tolerance to accept poor storytelling in any medium including anime gets less of a pass.
Feb 17, 2016 9:13 PM

Nov 2014
Itadakimasuuuu said:
Now I tried to reply to this like 5 minutes ago and it said invalid topic. I had such a nice long answer too -.-
RIP, I am sorry to hear about this. *whistles away...
zombie_pegasus said:
I hated Spirited Away the first three times I watched it but I enjoyed it the fourth time I watched it. I rarely rewatch anime so I don't have too much experience in the matter.
Why did you watch it first 3 times?

Feb 17, 2016 9:18 PM

Aug 2013
Not sure if this is the same, but watching Dragon Ball Super after watching Battle of Gods and Revival of Frieza movies really ruined the experience.
Feb 17, 2016 9:18 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I try not to rewatch something, i'm scared to suddenly not liking it. :c
Happened with deadman wonderland, i remember at first i fuckin loved it and i rewatched it a second time with my sister and .... eh
Still good but idk, didnt feel great like i first watched it
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 17, 2016 9:20 PM

Dec 2015
When I rewatch an anime, I take this as a chance to analyze it a bit more.
Feb 17, 2016 9:23 PM

Oct 2014
ExTamplier said:
zombie_pegasus said:
Why did you watch it first 3 times?
I watched it as a kid. Compared to the 20 or so times I've watched The Incredibles and Monsters Inc it's not actually that much. I rewatched movies a lot as a kid even if they weren't my favourites.
Feb 17, 2016 9:24 PM

Oct 2015
If anything, you see new things that you never saw before, making it better.
Feb 17, 2016 9:24 PM

Sep 2015
Sometimes it can, it ultimately depends on the show. I remember re-watching Code Geass about 3 years ago and found myself picking up on numerous flaws while watching it for a second time which hampered my enjoyment of it, especially in the second season. On the other hand i have re-watched FMA:B 3 times now and have never felt my enjoyment of this show diminish.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Feb 17, 2016 9:27 PM

Jul 2015
>Flaws
>Kill la Kill

Does not compute.

I'm watching it for the third time, it only gets better. Same goes for FLCL. NGE would probably make my days watched skyrocket if I added the rewatchs, and it's still a 10. Utena... I can't even finish it, I just always fail miserably after 20 episodes because shit gets too intense for my little kokoro.

Some things might suffer from a rewatch, but not 9s and 10s, and probably not stuff I saw in the last years either.
Feb 17, 2016 9:32 PM

Feb 2016
OnTheShore said:
Sometimes it can, it ultimately depends on the show. I remember re-watching Code Geass about 3 years ago and found myself picking up on numerous flaws while watching it for a second time which hampered my enjoyment of it,

^This, i really love code geass and it was really addictive, but after a few time rewatching.....*sighs*

Appilesh said:
well, what if that new things are flaw of the show that you didnt notice before?

AntwanMantilla said:
Never, the Monogatari's are as great as when I first watched them.
This is my example of good rewatching. the more i watch it the more i love it.
Feb 17, 2016 9:35 PM

Oct 2015
Xilly said:
Appilesh said:
well, what if that new things are flaw of the show that you didnt notice before?
I knew that someone would say this, and you do have a point. However, bad things tend to stand out immediately and tend to be more glaringly obvious. If you notice something upon rewatch, it's almost always an underlying theme that you didn't understand before. A theme/message that a show gives cannot make it bad: it gives it more meaning.
Feb 17, 2016 10:08 PM

Feb 2016
Appilesh said:
Xilly said:
I knew that someone would say this, and you do have a point. However, bad things tend to stand out immediately and tend to be more glaringly obvious. If you notice something upon rewatch, it's almost always an underlying theme that you didn't understand before. A theme/message that a show gives cannot make it bad: it gives it more meaning.
well, since you said "almost always" then it is kinda hard for me to reply.
Anyway
Yes just like you said, big flaw would be noticed immediately after the first watching. but what about tiny flaw?
Let's take Code Geass for example
I dont really care but

It about what we see as reasonable at first glance but becoming vague when we go deeper.
Feb 17, 2016 10:14 PM

Mar 2014
No matter how many times I rewatch Non Non Biyori, it's impossible to get tired of it. Character interaction, setting, ambient sounds, soundtrack, animation, art style. All of it is just so well done and relaxing; it's hard not to rewatch NNB every once in a while.
Feb 17, 2016 10:17 PM

Jul 2013
it is obviously not the same feeling, but I tent to appreciate them more rather than disappointment.
Feb 17, 2016 10:20 PM

Feb 2016
Extra_Caster said:
No matter how many times I rewatch Non Non Biyori, it's impossible to get tired of it. Character interaction, setting, ambient sounds, soundtrack, animation, art style. All of it is just so well done and relaxing; it's hard not to rewatch NNB every once in a while.
Obligatory:
http://nyanpasu.jp/
Feb 17, 2016 10:51 PM

May 2015
I watched Medabots 4 times and every time, it got better. I somehow managed to see new things in it.

If the anime is good, the second go around will be just as enjoyable.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 17, 2016 10:51 PM

Dec 2012
Nope, I've re-watched a certain anime 19 times.(4 cours)
Feb 17, 2016 10:54 PM
Jul 2018
I don't do "re-watching" thing unless I want to seek its flaws.
Feb 17, 2016 11:06 PM

Jan 2012
yes and no i quite enjoy rewatching yu yu hakusho, inuyasha, zoids and hundam seed every few years and i never regret it they are works of art and on the second watch through of most of the anime i have rewatched i picked up some new things in the bg that i missed before (anime has easter eggs to or just really intressting things that are easy to miss)

Feb 17, 2016 11:07 PM

Feb 2016
Onii-chan said:
Not necessary a "flaw" when rewatching. you can get sub-theme and/or understand the other characters more. ofcourse that also depends on the show you rewatch. tbh the chance of getting "new flaw" in anime is pretty low, and even if you do notice a new flaw, mostly it isnt a big one that would affect the story, unless you didnt pay attention on first time watching.
Ceren-Feb 17, 2016 11:11 PM
Feb 17, 2016 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
Xilly said:
Onii-chan said:
Not necessary a "flaw" when rewatching. you can get sub-theme and/or understand the other characters more. ofcourse that also depends on the show you rewatch.
And what's the point?
I only rewatch animu to seek its flaws. In your case, I'd prefer reading the original source rather than rewatching the adaptation to grasp its plot and characters.
Feb 17, 2016 11:27 PM

Apr 2013
I rewatched Claymore and it was not as good as the first time so i dropped the score a bit. On the other side I rewatched Shingeki no Kyojin a few times and it's still a 10.
Feb 17, 2016 11:33 PM

Nov 2015
Yeah. You get wiser all the time & things that you though, did, felt & liked yesterday may seem stupid to you.
It's like how kids think that everything is the best thing ever but grow up to realize that it was shit.
And yes, klk does have a few minor flaws that went right through me when I first watched it. Still love it tho..

Clebardman said:
Same goes for FLCL.

FLCL gets better everytime fam..
Feb 17, 2016 11:33 PM

Feb 2016
Onii-chan said:
Xilly said:
Not necessary a "flaw" when rewatching. you can get sub-theme and/or understand the other characters more. ofcourse that also depends on the show you rewatch.
And what's the point?

The point is you want to experience your favorite anime again?
Onii-chan said:

I only rewatch animu to seek its flaws. In your case, I'd prefer reading the original source rather than rewatching the adaptation to grasp its plot and characters.

what about anime original?

I think i kinda understand you now... in short you would read/watch the series in other medium but you dont reread/rewatch, right? i wonder why?
Feb 17, 2016 11:46 PM
Jul 2018
Xilly said:
As long as you still remember the main plot of the series, that's not possible. Having a good impression at the first time, but in the second won't be the same. In the worst case, you will get bored.
Xilly said:
I will ask MAL peeps on series discussion if I confused about some stuff.
Xilly said:
I think i kinda understand you now... in short you would read/watch the series in other medium but you dont reread/rewatch, right? i wonder why?
AT LEAST you finally understand my point. To avoid getting bored, I think. There are countless media that I have not known, I'd better look after them, instead wasting my time watching the same scenes.
Feb 17, 2016 11:47 PM

Apr 2015
Yea this has actually happened to me
for a lot of tv series. I just became so critical of them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2016 12:01 AM

Jun 2015
Not really, no. My tastes don't really change, and even if I notice something I hadn't noticed before (unlikely), my general opinion won't change.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 18, 2016 12:05 AM

Jan 2010
I hate saying "it depends," but for this question, it really does depend. For certain anime that are built upon layers or grow along with your own life experiences, rewatching them can actually lead to new discoveries, extending their rewatch value as a result. At other times, for shows that heavily rely on shock or twists, they might see their rewatch value diminish since you'd already know they're coming. Everything else would probably lend themselves to both, gaining additional rewatch value through the fun of reliving old experiences.
Feb 18, 2016 12:06 AM

Feb 2016
Onii-chan said:
Xilly said:
As long as you still remember the main plot of the series, that's not possible. Having a good impression at the first time, but in the second won't be the same. In the worst case, you will get bored.

Depends on series, i never tired of watching Monogatari, The voice, The visual, i like it everytime i watch it. probably the same reason to why people listen to the same song over and over again.
Onii-chan said:

Xilly said:
I will ask MAL peeps on series discussion if I confused about some stuff.
I'm not talking about confusing here, I'm talking about "to get/understand the sub theme and/or other characters"
i guess you can ask people about that too, but that would kill the fun and pretty much the same as reading wiki and add anime to your completed list.
Onii-chan said:
Xilly said:

AT LEAST you finally understand my point. To avoid getting bored, I think. There are countless media that I have not known, I'd better look after them, instead wasting my time watching the same scenes.

Sounds to like you watch anime for the sake of completed it rather than to enjoy it. If you watch anime for fun, then it's not wasting if you enjoy it, you're only wasting your time if you force yourself to watch/read what you dont like.

Well, i cant say the same if your reason of watching anime is other than "Fun".
Feb 18, 2016 12:29 AM

Jul 2013
I rewatched some of my fav animes, and I never think they are worse or better (apart of noticing some new details and foreshadowing). However, in some cases, rewatching them makes me really empty (mostly due nostalgia or because I know that some character is going to die and that I'm watching all his/her lifetime every episode it pass...)
Feb 18, 2016 12:35 AM

Aug 2015
Nope. It only gets better. Unless it is an anime which was, painful to watch even the first time.

I rarely rewatch anime unless it's really good
Feb 18, 2016 12:41 AM

Jul 2008
I have only rewatched one anime, and I thought it was just as good the second time around.

If I stopped being lazy there are a dozen or so I want to rewatch, though I am a little worried I won't get the same feelings as the first watch.
Feb 18, 2016 1:44 AM

Sep 2015
It depends on whether you were able to recognise its flaws the first time around.
I've been rewatching AgK since the dub has been airing, and I can really tell that it isn't as good as I first thought - but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying it just as much.

Similarly I recently finished rewatching Plastic Memories and the feels were just as strong the second time around, even though the science side of it gets thrown out of the window and has a ton of plot holes.

The only time I feel like rewatching something would potentially ruin what you thought of it would be if it's something you watched right at the start of your anime life; something you watched when you had only just gotten into anime and thought that every single anime was the best thing since sliced bread.
But even then, the nostalgia factor might kick in and still bias you into enjoying it.

Unless your taste has significantly changed, if you've enjoyed something before then you should be able to enjoy it again; the amount of enjoyment will stem from how willing you would be to overlook its flaws, if it has any.

Certain anime like the Higurashi series arguably don't have as much rewatch value, because you've seen everything before and the mystery has already been figured out. Some of the shock factor will naturally be reduced which would only work in detriment to the series. But that's just natural anyway, so I doubt it would ruin your enjoyment of the series since you should know going into it that you'll be taking everything in a different light that time around.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 18, 2016 1:52 AM

Jan 2015
Nah, watched NGE and Cowboy Bebop at least 3 times each.

Still love 'em.
Feb 18, 2016 1:53 AM

Nov 2012
I re-watched Darker than Black some time ago too. And with me it was the actual opposite. I was of a opinion, becouse i was watching it earlier in my anime career i might get to like it less the second time. But the re watch actually made me realize it really is god dam good anime, almost 10 imo. The sequel tho was even more garbage than i remember, still need to finish it as off today.

But i get where you coming from op. Since i also watched Steins gate not to long ago and tho i still think it had his high qualities, it actually i really overrated. It is just not good enough even dropped my 10 down to a 9.
Feb 18, 2016 2:20 AM

Dec 2012
Nope. Except for Code Geass and Death Note, every anime I re-watched I ended up liking more. Usually even bump the scores.

ex:
Naruto 9/10. after the rewatch = 10/10
Baka to test s2 8/10. after the rewatch = 9/10
Nichijou and Nichibros 8/10. after the rewatch = 9/10
Toradora 8/10. after the rewatch. 9/10
etc
Feb 18, 2016 2:24 AM

Dec 2013
I do a lot of re-watching. For the most part it really doesn't change my overall opinion of the shows. A lot of them have some pretty cool subtle foreshadowing of what's to come in them. If they do that makes me appreciate them even more.
Feb 18, 2016 2:26 AM

Dec 2015
It depends on how long has it been since the last time I watched it.

If it's been years before I re-watched it, then yes sometimes it happens.
Like.. "Oh I didn't know it was this cliched"

Feb 18, 2016 2:28 AM

Apr 2010
ExTamplier said:
When you rewatch something, do you get the feeling that the first time it was much better? Recently I rewatched Darker than Black, and Kill la Kill. After watching them years ago I remembered them as some kind of perfection of an anime genre, but watching them again a second time I feel a bit disappointed finding out that they have more flaws.
Watching detective shows or "suspense" material is bound to be less interesting the second time around. I haven't seen the latter, and Darker than Black wasn't great to begin with from my perception.
Pugs are the best dogs
Feb 18, 2016 2:35 AM

May 2015
When I re-watched gurren legann for I actually enjoyed it way more than the first time.
I guess it's depend on the series.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 5 hours ago

15 by Starchaser »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

169 by Jackson1333 »»
9 minutes ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 10 hours ago

6 by Nirinbo »»
10 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

18 by WatchTillTandava »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 1 hour ago

6 by MedK001 »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.