Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2016 7:10 AM
Jun 2013
I have come across many people who call Arrange marriage stupid and backward culture .
But as per the data , Countries where People are highly in favor of Love marriage also have high levels of Divorce .

Here is an example of Arrange marriage in my Culture .

Parents select desirable Couple or Partner for their Kids .
Couple spend some time to understand each other ( Across number of meetings ) , Which ranges from 2 months to 1 year . If the couple finds each other good enough to spend rest of the life together , then only Marriage happens .

Love marriages are also Ok in my Culture . The only case which is not accepted is when Couples run away and Marry .
KaulDevaFeb 17, 2016 7:13 AM
Feb 17, 2016 7:14 AM

Nov 2015
Pressure to marry someone you barely know is much more likely to cause a higher divorce rate than "love marriages" as you call them.
But if they were hot I might just go along with it and use their familial obligation to score with someone out of my league. But it wouldn't be a very happy marriage for the other person.
Feb 17, 2016 7:21 AM
Jun 2013
NasalShark said:
Pressure to marry someone you barely know is much more likely to cause a higher divorce rate than "love marriages" as you call them.
But if they were hot I might just go along with it and use their familial obligation to score with someone out of my league. But it wouldn't be a very happy marriage for the other person.

Most developed Countries and Cultures that are pro love marriages have high divorce rates .

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/world/worlds-10-most-divorced-nations/?view=all

The rate of divorce in India is about 13 per 1,000 marriages against 500 in 1,000 marriages in the UK .

RedTie said:
I'm sure it works for some people so I'm not in favor of doing away with it completely. I myself would like to choose my own partner, though I'll listen to input from my family regarding her if she ever meets them.

I am in Agreement with you .
Feb 17, 2016 7:23 AM

Apr 2015
Rates of divorce are lower in countries were there are arranged marriages because people don't want to be stoned to death by their ex-husband.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Feb 17, 2016 7:24 AM

Jan 2015
But a lot of people are forced or at least pressured to not divorce after an arranged marriage. Meanwhile love marriages happen more often in the Western world, where people usually have the opportunity to divorce.
Feb 17, 2016 7:26 AM

Nov 2015
Cookies said:
Rates of divorce are lower in countries were there are arranged marriages because people don't want to be stoned to death by their ex-husband.

I agree. In places like India its looked down upon by society to divorce someone, whereas in the UK if you're not happy with someone you divorce their ass and take half their stuff. I'd rather live in a place with higher divorce rates if it means you're actually free to marry and divorce who you want.
Feb 17, 2016 7:26 AM
Jun 2013
Homuranagi said:
But a lot of people are forced or at least pressured to not divorce after an arranged marriage. Meanwhile love marriages happen more often in the Western world, where people usually have the opportunity to divorce.

Ya ! Culture might be an Important factor .

Well pressure thing is not so common . It might be unfair to say , Pressure from Families prevent divorce .
Feb 17, 2016 7:27 AM
May 2009
Depends on the nature of the arranged marriage, like some have mentioned.

Forced marriages are bad, since most of the time neither party agrees.

Arranged marriages can last a life time, and sometimes benefits people who don't have the time to fall in love in the Go out and meet someone manner.
Feb 17, 2016 7:27 AM

Aug 2015
I'll have to side with the love marriage on this one. I wouldn't want to be pressured to marry anybody, I'd prefer to have a choice.
Feb 17, 2016 7:29 AM
Jun 2013
shintai88 said:
Depends on the nature of the arranged marriage, like some have mentioned.

Forced marriages are bad, since most of the time neither party agrees.

Arranged marriages can last a life time, and sometimes benefits people who don't have the time to fall in love in the Go out and meet someone manner.

Yup ! I agree with your points .
#LMvsAM
Feb 17, 2016 7:36 AM
May 2009
Also in the end whether it is love marriage or Arranged marriage, whether they all have a happy ending, still depends on whether the couple can maintain their relationship.

Just cause you married for love, doesn't mean that love won't fade, leading to divorce.

Whether it works or not depends on if the couple work to make it work.
Feb 17, 2016 7:37 AM

Nov 2008
Arranged marriage leads to a greater chance of spousal abuse than marriage for love.

Feb 17, 2016 7:51 AM

Nov 2015
Idk much but in India don't parents force their kids into marriage at the age of 28 irrespective of time, financial condition & career status?
Yeah no, I'm not having that . That don't jive with me..
Feb 17, 2016 7:55 AM

Feb 2016
Arranged marriages rarely involve that much freedom of choice (to get involved in one or to get out of it etc). Most countries where arranged marriages are the norm have countless cases (every month!) of people being pressured or forced into marriage (and countless cases of women & men being punished in horrible ways for trying to deviate from the totalitarian system).

Many arranged marriage countries seem proud of their low divorce rates but nobody seems to care that this is only because the repercussions for divorce (and even ability to get a divorce) are so bad that most people would rather suffer a lifetime of miserable marriage than to suffer the social repercussions of a divorce etc. And making lots of miserable (sometimes even violent/abusive) couples stay together is IMO no cause for celebration (its a terrible joke really!).

I am SO glad I live in a country where arranged marriages are not the norm and people get to chose who they get to date and marry (if they even want to do those things at all) etc!

Divorce rates may be high but they're only really high amongst middle aged couples who got married back during a time when marriage was still the norm (a lot of people rushed into marriage) and even though they later regretted their marriages, they tried to make things last until at least the kids were grown up and moved out (but once that has happened, with no kids to keep things going the farcical relationship breaks down entirely and that's one of many reasons why divorce rates are so high amongst middle aged people).

A lot less couples choose to get married these days but because people leave marriage to later in life (focusing on establishing a long term relationship etc first), the new generations of married young couples will probably outlast their parents generations marriages (and be a lot happier) by a long shot (because marriage these days is a lot more about what the couple actually wants rather than what they feel pressured into doing etc).
Feb 17, 2016 7:58 AM
Jun 2013
4blaze2it0 said:
Idk much but in India don't parents force their kids into marriage at the age of 28 irrespective of time, financial condition & career status?

India is a Big country with diverse thoughts .
Its hard to say but Marriage is very important part of our lives . That is why most parents force their kids to marry before 30 as it gets difficult to find partners after that .

Don't misunderstand this word " Forced " ?
Feb 17, 2016 8:00 AM

Oct 2014
Arranged marriages that are mostly based on being a "suggestion" or "enticement" at most are OK, as both parties have the right to refuse, as long as there is no threat by the parents involved.

As for love marriages... yes, but we have to prevent the "social status" BS here. I think people should not lose their rationality about the potential significant other (i.e. being conned), but I don't think that money or "history of the family" is in any way a good reason to prevent 2 people who love each other from being together.

If I was suggested an arranged marriage with a person who can't marry another person she loves, I'd personally become angry at her parents for having too much arrogance in the manner of "knowing what's best for the daughter" and would actually support her in her preferences, unless the other guy is clearly a con artist or something like that.
Feb 17, 2016 8:05 AM

Nov 2015
ashishkaull said:
4blaze2it0 said:

Its hard to say but Marriage is very important part of our lives . That is why most parents force their kids to marry before 30 as it gets difficult to find partners after that .

Yeah of course not the whole of India thinks that way but all my uncles, aunts & pretty much most elder people in my family (I'm Indian heritage by the way) were arranged and at least 65% of women had to quit their jobs.

It's only now that my cousins have freedom of choice as to when to get married & get settled.
Can't say the same about choice of career. Even if I wouldn't have wanted to study engineering, I would've had to anyway..
Feb 17, 2016 8:12 AM
Jun 2013
4blaze2it0 said:
ashishkaull said:

Yeah of course not the whole of India thinks that way but all my uncles, aunts & pretty much most elder people in my family (I'm Indian heritage by the way) were arranged and at least 65% of women had to quit their jobs.

It's only now that my cousins have freedom of choice as to when to get married & get settled.
Can't say the same about choice of career. Even if I wouldn't have wanted to study engineering, I would've had to anyway..

Well ! related to career , Most in my family are doing jobs and some are Migrants ( I am a Kashmiri Pandit ) .

Future is something Which is a bad measure of Judging marriage .
My Parents were earning but due to Migration Mother lost her Job and we spent 10 years away from Father .

Yes In most cases , Women have to quit jobs due to Pregnancy and other family reasons but that is a hard truth . This is a reality one can't escape . To gain something one has to lose other things .

Same goes for Men too .
Feb 17, 2016 8:49 AM

Sep 2015
Both.

In an ideal world, arranged marriages wouldn't be so bad because the culture wouldn't impose so much pressure on keeping to the marriage going.

But as the statistics say, "love marriages" are a complete sham half the time. It's certainly quite telling of how much emphasis people place on marriage nowadays.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 17, 2016 8:54 AM

Jan 2016
Hmm personally I'd go for love marriages, I don't really agree with people not being able to take those type of decisions by and for themselves.
Feb 17, 2016 9:01 AM

Mar 2015
I think both kinds of marriage are ok as long as neither of the parties are forced into it.
Feb 17, 2016 10:09 AM

Jan 2016
I'm for love marriage. I've never been able to see arranged marriages working out as intended. On the other hand, though, I don't know much about divorce statistics in love marriages as opposed to arranged ones.
Feb 17, 2016 10:25 AM
Feb 2014
arranged marriage isn't love it's basically a jail sentence. If the person is an idiot you can't even be intimate with them nor can you express you inner feelings freely...

You have no fucking idea how much arranged marriages make me mad. Whenever I see them in an anime, manga, movie or whatever medium in general I get soooooooooooooooo pissed. I'm one of the gentlest people you can find but damn it I think if I had the chance I would gladly peel the skin off of all the evil people who made the crappy arranged decision and actually enjoy hearing their screams. No lies though. They make me that distorted. I'd murder those airheads.
Feb 17, 2016 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
TheN00dzWizard said:
I think both kinds of marriage are ok as long as neither of the parties are forced into it.

This.

I'd prefer love marriage though.
Feb 17, 2016 10:33 AM

Dec 2014
I'm fine with both, I suppose. I don't think either one is bad. But it does depend.
Feb 17, 2016 1:43 PM

Jun 2015
Not really my place to judge anything.
However, bringing up the divorce rate thing is a bit silly, all things considered.

I don't have any problem with arranged marriage as long as the children actually like each other I guess.
I do not find the idea romantic by any means, though.

Also, the options on the poll are funny. Love or arrange..
Should change love to something different or it makes it seem like arranged marriages are loveless.
codyFeb 17, 2016 1:48 PM

Feb 17, 2016 1:45 PM
Sep 2014
Divorce rates are also inflated by people who marry and divorce multiple times
Feb 17, 2016 2:40 PM

Aug 2009
Arranged marriage persists in my culture, as well, but I don't frown upon it since the conclusion at the end is always made by the prospective husband and wife. The concept is declining, however, as love marriages become more popular (and I personally support them).

Also, I think arranged marriages are a nice way to keep the 'Forever Alone' tag off your forehead since you're guaranteed a partner. Helps the ugly people.
Feb 17, 2016 3:08 PM
Feb 17, 2016 3:38 PM
Jul 2018
I prefer arranged marriage to love one. I know 'forced love' sounds stupid, but in my case, it's hard to fall in love with someone, and it's even more difficult to marry someone I love which I can't find since 2 years ago.

Strange, huh? So yeah probably, I should go to psychiatrists if I have mental disorder.
Feb 17, 2016 4:31 PM

Feb 2012
projectfear22 said:
If the person is an idiot you can't even be intimate with them nor can you express you inner feelings freely...

On the other hand, there certainly are people in these free countries who would prefer a marriage of reason. Not everyone has the spirit for cuddling or sleeping in the same bed/room/house. The pressure might just be enough to make them never marry anyone, even if such willing people exist.
Feb 17, 2016 4:41 PM

Mar 2008
Satisfaction with a relationship levels are better indicators than divorce. Divorce can be related to cultural views on divorce.
Feb 17, 2016 4:51 PM
Oct 2014
I think the best is if two mature people who love each other lives together for a few years and then get married.
Most important is that nobody is forced into it. Arranged may be fine, but perhaps you shouldn't arrange a marriage the first thing you do. I saw a show on TV when people got married the first time they saw each other. Consenting to it of course. It didn't seem too bad for them. Perhaps, some people need some help to get there.

This with families deciding who their children should marry is out of the question for me. They may have opinions and counsel them, but not more than that.

Feb 17, 2016 4:55 PM
Oct 2014
traed said:
Satisfaction with a relationship levels are better indicators than divorce. Divorce can be related to cultural views on divorce.

I think it was here in Sweden, the government did something with the pension system so that it was more beneficial for married couples to divorce. So they did, but they stayed together even so.
Several years later, they changed the pension system again and something about inheritance, and swish people started to get married again on full scale.

Feb 17, 2016 4:57 PM

Apr 2015
traed said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but you're saying that some cultures have higher divorce rates because there is say, a generally higher acceptance of divorce in those countries right? Because if you are, I totally agree. Events are more likely to happen when there is less social pressure and consequence. Like, I don't think 'love' marriage ( As OP likes to call it) is worse just because the countries where it is most common happens to have higher divorce rates. I think its the idea that there is less of a repercussion to divorce in those countries then countries where arranged marriages are the norm.

Feb 17, 2016 5:28 PM

Mar 2008
@Rarusu_ In the US they have a stupid thing where if both involved in a marriage have an income they are taxed for it. For whatever reason the US government wants to push single job run homes.

@Done
Yes, higher acceptance would lead to more divorces. However I do not entirely reject the idea that arranged married couples try harder at their relationship which can help them be satisfied. People seem really lazy about keeping up relationships these days. So ideally best would be a love based marriage where both involved always put effort in instead of just thinking "I got them already. I don't have to worry"
Feb 17, 2016 7:27 PM
Feb 2014
Romantic marriages are better for Staceys/Chads
Arranged marriages are better for Waifus/Based Anon-kuns
AqutanFeb 17, 2016 7:32 PM
Feb 17, 2016 7:36 PM

Feb 2014
Arranged marriages suck as you have a higher chance of not getting along and basically not living a life of happiness.

Love marriage all the way!
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Feb 17, 2016 11:09 PM

May 2015
Love marriage. Children should be raised in affection. The people they interact with the most should show them love, and they should learn love from them
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 18, 2016 12:48 AM

Oct 2015
I'm never going to get married anyway but I would hate it if I was forced to marry someone, I would just move out then.

More topics from this board

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - 13 minutes ago

3 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

15 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
3 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

68 by shadowdownfall »»
22 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 9 hours ago

7 by Zettaiken »»
45 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 8 hours ago

4 by rho34 »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.