Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 16, 2016 6:10 PM

Mar 2008
I am not so sure how many countries do this but I'm sure it is not just the US. There are special rights and privileges that people of certain religions have that no other persons in the same country have. If a Muslim wears a hijab or a Sikh wears a turban they are not forced to take it off in almost any circumstance but for example a balding man who is very insecure and has OCD related to it wears a hat is forced to take it off. We all know that drugs are illegal in much of the world but certain religious groups get to do certain drugs (mostly hallucinogens like peyote for example) for religious purposes and it is totally legal for them and them alone but if someone else wants to do drugs for the exact same reason who dos not belong to this religion will be denied the legal right to do so. In prisons inmates of certain religions are given special privileges and rights that no one else has which is why many inmates convert while in prison. Sometimes parents get away with denying their children medical treatment on religious grounds even if the children want treatment and they sometimes get away with it instead of being prosecuted for neglect. I think this is very wrong and is oppressive to the non religious and those of smaller religions. People should all have the same rights especially because religion is something that can be changed and is only a nurture thing not something you are born with. A person with a good reason for something that does not harm others or get in the way of their job being done properly should be given the right to do it whether or not they belong to some religious group and things that do harm should not be excused because of a religion.

Do you think religions be allowed rights no one else gets? What makes you think so? Would it be better to give more rights to everyone or just take away the rights of some religious groups?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 16, 2016 6:15 PM

Nov 2014
In Russia any religion besides w/e the main religion is looked down upon. Don't get surprised if you get stabbed.

Jul 2015
"give more right to everyone" it totally depends mate. I'm all for doing peyote but I wouldn't want every kid in school asking for a special dish because he can.

I tend to think that religious people should just suck it up and deal with it. You don't want to eat x or y? Bring a bento. You don't want to take off your burqah? Stay the fuck out of every public building, nobody knows what you're hiding under that. You don't want homosexuals to have the right to live together like any married couple with all the privileges that come with it? Go somewhere else.

Obviously someone should tell that to my government because this isn't a laic country anymore, this is a fucking sect fest where everybody tries to grab the most privileges.
Oct 2012
Sure, that is what "culture" is all about.
Feb 16, 2016 6:17 PM

Apr 2012
I don't believe that religious groups deserve special. I believe that everybody deserves the same rights, regardless of there creed.

Jul 2015
ExTamplier said:
In Russia any religion besides w/e the main religion is looked down upon. Don't get surprised if you get stabbed.

Russia is stuck in the Middle Age on a lot of subjects.

Mar 2008
@Clebardman
Yes, I mean things within reason.
Feb 16, 2016 6:20 PM
Jul 2018
Yes now I should tear the clothes off muslim women when they go into a no hat no scarf zones

thanks OP for teaching equality
Feb 16, 2016 6:22 PM

Mar 2008
Veneficia said:
Yes now I should tear the clothes off muslim women when they go into a no hat no scarf zones

What are you talking about? I never said that.
Feb 16, 2016 6:22 PM

Jul 2015
Veneficia said:

I live in a town that is mostly muslim. Most women here take their shit off themselves as soon as they're in the metro. I don't know if they're forced by their entourage to wear it here, or just earn strange looks in the rest of the town, but covering your head sure doesn't seem like some mandatory rule or anything.

What's next, a nudist sect will be allowed to go around with their dicks in the wind?
"but it's cultural, we're just hinding our wiminz because of religion bruh" yeah and my religion is to spit on people who put human beings in portable cages.
Feb 16, 2016 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
traed said:
Veneficia said:

Ok I'll just slap the turban off a Sikh in a no hat zone .
Feb 16, 2016 6:27 PM

Jul 2015
Veneficia said:
traed said:

Well you should. If you're religion forces you to wear a hat, why would you even feel entitled to go in a fucking no hat zone?
Feb 16, 2016 6:27 PM

Jan 2016
Nope... someone's beliefs should not be a basis for special treatment.

The only right that every people has is the freedom to worship aka the freedom of religion.
Feb 16, 2016 6:28 PM
Jul 2018
Clebardman said:
Veneficia said:

I live in a town that is mostly muslim. Most women here take their shit off themselves as soon as they're in the metro. I don't know if they're forced by their entourage to wear it here, or just earn strange looks in the rest of the town, but covering your head sure doesn't seem like some mandatory rule or anything.

What's next, a nudist sect will be allowed to go around with their dicks in the wind?
"but it's cultural, we're just hinding our wiminz because of religion bruh" yeah and my religion is to spit on people who put human beings in portable cages.

go for it! equality! nothing is stopping you from making a religion if one can be made from a volcano space overlord surely yours can be made too!
Feb 16, 2016 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
Clebardman said:
Veneficia said:

Well you should. If you're religion forces you to wear a hat, why would you even feel entitled to go in a fucking no hat zone?

What about a no flex zone shouldn't they know better?
Feb 16, 2016 6:37 PM

Jan 2009
first time i heard about this, i dont know if our country has "special treatment" laws for religions like there, but ye this is a shit law, this is why religion just divide more the people rather than its promise of uniting us all
Feb 16, 2016 7:04 PM

Sep 2015
This reminds me something that happened a few weeks ago here in México...this Sikh guy wasn't allowed to take an international flight from México City to New York because he couldn't take his turban off according to his religion. Well, the airport security officers didn't give a fuck, they return him his money and banned him from using that airline again.

He make a big fuss in twitter and eventually AeroMéxico (the airline) made an public apology.

My country is kinda shady, still I love the food here...
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 16, 2016 7:20 PM

Jan 2015
All humans get the same rights. People with mental and physical disabilities get special rights. Nothing else gets any exceptions. Religion is an idea. Beliefs should have no rights. The face of racism and discrimination has now taken a full 180 and has now planted its face in its ass.
Feb 16, 2016 7:36 PM
Oct 2012
Clebardman said:
but covering your head sure doesn't seem like some mandatory rule or anything.

While the whole "bee keeper" outfit is relatively modern, the head coverings are actually from the beginning, and not only in Islam but also in Judaism and even in early Christianity.

To give an animation example, why does "Mori Summer" wear a covering over her head?

The reason is one of those "wow, really stranger than fiction" type of things. And since I am writing a story that uses this history I won't tell you :-)

But here is a hint. "Enoch".
Feb 16, 2016 7:39 PM

Apr 2015
This is where "freedom of religion" gets kind of tricky, if we are allowing them the freedom to practice their religion as they please, then do we also allow them the special treatment that is called for by their religion? Or do we restrict them from their practices because everybody should be treated equally? Some people might think this is a violation of their civil right.

Feb 16, 2016 7:43 PM

Jul 2015
Done said:
This is where "freedom of religion" gets kind of tricky, if we are allowing them the freedom to practice their religion as they please, then do we also allow them the special treatment that is called for by their religion? Or do we restrict them from their practices because everybody should be treated equally? Some people might think this is a violation of their civil right.

If not giving them priviledges is a violation of their civil rights, I'd say let's violate their civil rights.
Feb 16, 2016 7:46 PM
Oct 2012
Done said:
then do we also allow them the special treatment that is called for by their religion? Or do we restrict them from their practices because everybody should be treated equally?

Religion aside, isn't the real question: "why do we ONLY allow certain rights because of religion?" Equality and Freedom are always at odds, why should we restrict freedom solely to treat people equally? Shouldn't the reverse be true?

The more I think of this, the more I think that this is the essential question for the modern age.
Feb 16, 2016 7:46 PM

Jan 2015
Clebardman said:
Done said:

If not giving them priviledges is a violation of their civil rights, I'd say let's violate their civil rights.
Having special priviledges not everyone gets is my civil right. Because im self centered and entitled.
Feb 16, 2016 7:53 PM

Mar 2008
Done said:

Basically what I was saying is if it is a right worth giving to a person of a religion it is a right worth giving to everyone else.
Feb 16, 2016 7:54 PM

Apr 2013
Not just religions, but gender/race too. In my school we have a "women's only" hours for the swimming pool and gym facilities. It's sometime during the afternoon on mon-wed-fri for swimming. Basically it's to accommodate muslim students because they're not allowed to show skin to men and for insecure "I feel unsafe when guys are around" Western girls.

Pretty fucking annoying if you ask me.
Feb 16, 2016 7:54 PM

Apr 2015
ModeratelyHuman said:
Clebardman said:

Having special priviledges not everyone gets is my civil right. Because im self centered and entitled.

Well that's the mentality these days, that everyone owes them something because of the 'hardships' they face that no one else apparently understands.

Feb 16, 2016 7:57 PM

Jan 2015
Done said:
ModeratelyHuman said:

Well that's the mentality these days, that everyone owes them something because of the 'hardships' they face that no one else apparently understands.
Hey now. My great great great great grandparents were murdered by Mongolian barbarians. I deserve the right to kill all Mangolians I see in a holy crusade of ethnic purity. If you disagree with me you are racist, support the barbaric pillaging and conquering done by the Mongols, and are against god himself.
Feb 16, 2016 7:59 PM

Mar 2008
NudeBear said:
Not just religions, but gender/race too. In my school we have a "women's only" hours for the swimming pool and gym facilities. It's sometime during the afternoon on mon-wed-fri for swimming. Basically it's to accommodate muslim students because they're not allowed to show skin to men and for insecure "I feel unsafe when guys are around" Western girls.

Yeah but I focused on religion to avoid this becoming another feminism thread.
Feb 16, 2016 8:02 PM
Jul 2018
traed said:
If a Muslim wears a hijab
Wearing hijab for girl/woman is an obligation, wherever she is, except in front of her Mahrams. As long as her Mahrams are the only ones presence, hijab is not required. The list in whose presence she don't need to cover is outlined in Quran.
Surah An-Nur 24.31
Likewise enjoin the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their modesty; not to display their beauty and ornaments except what normally appears thereof; let them draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their charms except to their husbands, their fathers, their fathers-in-law, their own sons, their stepsons, their own brothers, their nephews on either brothers' or sisters' sides, their own womenfolk, their own slaves, male attendants who lack sexual desires or small children who have no carnal knowledge of women. Also enjoin them not to strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden trinkets. And O believers! Turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, about your past mistakes, so that you may attain salvation.
Feb 16, 2016 8:05 PM

Apr 2013
traed said:
NudeBear said:

Yeah but I focused on religion to avoid this becoming another feminism thread.

Don't worry, still mentioned muslim students. I don't mind freedom of religion but it's annoying when the faculty says "muslim girls feel isolated because they're not allowed to swim-"

It's like wait,

They're allowed! We're not isolating them, they're isolating themselves! they just choose not to swim, and then as a way to accommodate their beliefs they restricts access to other students! I mean it's not the end of the world but as a person who swims regularly it's really freaking aggravating. -.-
Feb 16, 2016 8:07 PM

Apr 2015
ModeratelyHuman said:
Done said:

Hey now. My great great great great grandparents were murdered by Mongolian barbarians. I deserve the right to kill all Mangolians I see in a holy crusade of ethnic purity. If you disagree with me you are racist, support the barbaric pillaging and conquering done by the Mongols, and are against god himself.

Sounds like the basic blueprint for a terrorist give or take, but lets not go there. We wouldn't want to offend anyone now would we?

Feb 16, 2016 8:14 PM

Mar 2008
@Onii-chan
So what are you arguing for? Since you aren't really saying anything beyond repeating something from the Quran.

@NudeBear
Yeah that does not seem to make sense especially if they do not have a male only time as well.
Feb 16, 2016 8:22 PM
Jul 2018
@traed
Hmm.
It's ridiculous if certain countries ban hijab, since hijab does no harm in society. Banning the hijad means to take away the freedom of expression from Muslims.
Feb 16, 2016 8:26 PM

Jun 2015
Religion is an excuse for a lot of things. You shouldn't be all that surprised that stuff like that happens a lot.
Feb 16, 2016 8:29 PM

Mar 2008
Onii-chan said:
@traed
Hmm.
It's ridiculous if certain countries ban hijab, since hijab does no harm in society. Banning the hijad means to take away the freedom of expression from Muslims.

What? I never mentioned anywhere about a ban of hijab. I'm not sure how you read into it in such a way.
Feb 16, 2016 8:46 PM

Jul 2009
Onii-chan said:
@traed
Hmm.

With this logic non-muslim women shouldn't be urged to cover their hair while visiting some countries. But they can't even visit some places if they don't cover head or show some skin. I heard: "it doesn’t mean that you will be treated badly in Middle Eastern countries, just show some respect for local traditions and culture and you will be respected in return and left alone."
Show some respect to local tradition and culture, right? As the saying goes - when in Rome, do as Romans do. Scarf over hair can be stylish, but wearing it all the time is out of place in western culture. Thus I say if you want to be part of it, blend in.

Religion is really awfully problematic thing. Human race should just ditch it finally, I guess it would make the world a little better place.
Feb 16, 2016 10:04 PM

Aug 2015
The only difference I can find with little thinking is that only christians are allowed to marry in church, and they have to pay a tax for their religion. At least I don't think there's anything else... nothing of value was lost.
Feb 16, 2016 10:50 PM
Jul 2018
@traed
I think wearing hijab is included as "special right"
Feb 16, 2016 11:13 PM

Mar 2008
Onii-chan said:
@traed
I think wearing hijab is included as "special right"

Wearing a hijab is not a special right. Anyone can wear hijab. The special right only comes in situations like exempting them from dress codes imposed on everyone for schools, workplaces, and courthouses (I think they have a no hat policy not sure). So for this particular situation, it is either let everyone wear headgear (which could include hijabs) or no one can, instead of giving special treatment. Considering wearing headgear (including hijabs) does not cause any real problems for anyone in schools and workplaces with the exception of safety hazards in workplaces and jobs like modeling certain things where wearing different things is a requirement then i say it should be something everyone can do not just Muslims.
Feb 16, 2016 11:20 PM

Jan 2013
Equality over all. Religion is no reason to break the law. But if it's not law you are breaking by doing / not doing something, but traditions etc., go for it.
Feb 16, 2016 11:20 PM

Jun 2015
I don't really care as long as it isn't hurting other people.

Feb 17, 2016 7:51 AM

Aug 2013
People should be free to practice their religion as intended within reason, that reason mainly been as long as it doesn't cause societal issues, spread literal harm or become cult like you know drink the poison kind of shit. Getting bonuses or special treatment just because of religion if it doesn't actually comply with the religion is pointless and shouldn't be done.
Feb 17, 2016 8:07 AM

Jul 2015
namea said:
Onii-chan said:
@traed
Hmm.

With this logic non-muslim women shouldn't be urged to cover their hair while visiting some countries. But they can't even visit some places if they don't cover head or show some skin. I heard: "it doesn’t mean that you will be treated badly in Middle Eastern countries, just show some respect for local traditions and culture and you will be respected in return and left alone."
Show some respect to local tradition and culture, right? As the saying goes - when in Rome, do as Romans do. Scarf over hair can be stylish, but wearing it all the time is out of place in western culture. Thus I say if you want to be part of it, blend in.

Religion is really awfully problematic thing. Human race should just ditch it finally, I guess it would make the world a little better place.

That's some excellent logic but somehow it seems too hard to grasp for my "laic" government.
Feb 17, 2016 8:17 AM

Oct 2014
What is this? Obviously all a lie! Minorities getting special treatment for their religious believes? Ridiculous! Stop complaining white cis male and stop denying your privilege!

Sarcasm aside, no. Religions should not get ANY special privileges. If letting certain groups wear something that's usually forbidden then don't solve the issue by giving them a "special exceptional permit". Instead simply abolish the whole rule altogether, because appearently it's not "that" important after all, or rather it's just a pointless restriction with no real value for anyone involved in the first place.

If it's for security reasons, then too bad for you. All you can do is trying to make the people in charge reduce the security checks in general, just like ANY OTHER person has the right to in a democracy.
Grey-ZoneFeb 17, 2016 8:21 AM
Feb 17, 2016 8:19 AM

Jul 2015
Grey-Zone said:
What is this? Obviously all a lie! Minorities getting special treatment for their religious believes! Ridiculous! Stop complaining white cis male and stop denying your privilege!

Please, stop mixing your MRA agenda with everything. That's completely irrelevant and uncalled for.
Feb 17, 2016 8:22 AM

Jan 2015
ExTamplier said:

that sounds nice, sound thinking. How are they on wicca and paganism? They have a long tradition of occultism and black arts in Russia.
Feb 17, 2016 8:24 AM

Oct 2014
Clebardman said:
Grey-Zone said:
What is this? Obviously all a lie! Minorities getting special treatment for their religious believes! Ridiculous! Stop complaining white cis male and stop denying your privilege!

Please, stop mixing your MRA agenda with everything. That's completely irrelevant and uncalled for.

Someone got triggered? Well w/e, it was a "side-dish" joke and I posted it before my actual reply was edited in. Blame my tendency to post my first thoughts before editing in the more elaborate parts on that.
Feb 17, 2016 8:25 AM

Jul 2015
Grey-Zone said:
Clebardman said:

Someone got triggered? Well w/e, it was a "side-dish" joke and I posted it before my actual reply was edited in. Blame my tendency to post my first thoughts before editing in the more elaborate parts on that.

i'm not triggered, 95% of your posts are just totally irrelevant MRA rambling that tries to look clever and sarcastic. it's annoying.
Feb 17, 2016 8:30 AM

Mar 2008
Spooks said:
People should be free to practice their religion as intended within reason, that reason mainly been as long as it doesn't cause societal issues, spread literal harm or become cult like you know drink the poison kind of shit. Getting bonuses or special treatment just because of religion if it doesn't actually comply with the religion is pointless and shouldn't be done.

These laws only apply to legally recognized religions. There are religions not recognized by the government. So it is unfair to the people of these religions and for the non religious who have strong personal beliefs. These rules do not depend on how religious the person is. A person who is just casually in a religion because of cultural reasons winds up getting more rights than a person with an extremely strong belief and ethic code.
Feb 17, 2016 8:36 AM

Aug 2013
traed said:
Spooks said:

These laws only apply to legally recognized religions. There are religions not recognized by the government. So it is unfair to the people of these religions and for the non religious who have strong personal beliefs. These rules do not depend on how religious the person is. A person who is just casually in a religion because of cultural reasons winds up getting more rights than a person with an extremely strong belief and ethic code.

Cult of the lying spaghetti monster won the right to wear pasta strainers on their heads in passport photo's. Its to mock religions I know but its pretty funny. The guy following the Jedi religion got an formal apology from he government center he visited because they asked him to remove his hooded robe.

Having any kind of generalized religious rules in society is always going to be hard because they have to generalize you can't just give religious freedoms to everyone or someone can make up a religion and say its their rights to flash women or something. Sticking to large or established religions generally are done because most of the public are aware of their general rules and most of the stuff is generally harmless. Places like America give special things to certain religions because of the religious tones within government much like in places with Islamic governments giving special treatment to Muslims.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 6 hours ago

6 by Nemo_Niemand »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 12 hours ago

20 by Zarutaku »»
56 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 8 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 4 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.