Forum Settings
Forums

How many episodes of an anime is just right?

New
Feb 16, 2016 9:25 AM

Apr 2015
Hi guys, how many episodes do you think an anime should last but would still deliver a really good story? I don't think it should be more than 50.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 16, 2016 9:26 AM

Sep 2009
However many is needed? 12 normal-length episodes appears to be the minimum.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 16, 2016 9:28 AM

Apr 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

TBH i usually want a little more than 12 episodes to enjoy it more.
Feb 16, 2016 9:29 AM

Jul 2015
in my opinion it lost interest after 50 ep
for me btw 24 and 50 is the perfect number of ep
Feb 16, 2016 9:29 AM

Sep 2009
TaichoMo said:
MortalMelancholy said:

TBH i usually want a little more than 12 episodes to enjoy it more.

Seems like you've gotten to an answer yourself. Good job~
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 16, 2016 9:31 AM

Jun 2009
Depends on what the content is about, and how much time is required to explain or elaborate on the overarching plot and character development.

I'd say a good number for a story-driven anime is 24 episodes. Steins;Gate, for example.
For a character-driven anime, maybe twice that. But that's me being greedy. 2 cour is usually plenty.
Any more than that, then it becomes more of a saga as opposed to a story, and one should expect characters to come and go, and plot arcs to play a part. FMA: Brotherhood is an example of this, whilst still retaining a decent overall story, so it can be done.

Just my two cents.
GrimanirFeb 16, 2016 9:37 AM
Feb 16, 2016 9:32 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I'm completely fine w series being broken up as they are

I'll get bored if I don't have a break, n w a break, I can watch as long as the show continues
Feb 16, 2016 9:32 AM

Aug 2010
A 2~4 cour for a show feels about right.
Feb 16, 2016 9:34 AM

Apr 2015
rioplats said:
Depends on what the content is about, and how much time is required to explain or elaborate on the overarching plot and character development.

I'd say a good number for a story-driven anime is 24 episodes.
For a character-driven anime, maybe twice that. But that's me being greedy. 2 cour is usually plenty.
Any more than that, then it becomes more of a saga as opposed to a story, and one should expect characters to come and go, and plot arcs to play a part. FMA: Brotherhood is an example of this, whilst still retaining a decent overall story, so it can be done.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, i think a lot of those long running shows can learn a thing or two from FMAB
Feb 16, 2016 9:35 AM

Oct 2015
24 episodes is just right. Long enough for character development, usually too short for significant filler and time-wasting.
Or a 2~2.5 hour movie. Let's not forget that those can be some of the best anime out there, and they equate to only 5 or 6 episodes.
Feb 16, 2016 9:36 AM

Jan 2015
24 episodes for me are enough but I'm new to anime so I guess it will be my thought for now...

Everyone is watching someone other than themselves, someone important to them...-Makise
Feb 16, 2016 9:37 AM
Jul 2018
I've always thought that 24-26 is the right range. I haven't tackled anything bigger than that because it's highly likely I'll lose interest eventually.
Feb 16, 2016 9:38 AM

May 2014
For me it depends on a genre. I don't want to sit through 24-48 episodes of school personally, as I feel that it just makes an excuse to spread out episodes for the simplicity of more episodes, unless if it's comedy-driven. And actually good comedy at that.

While, adventure/action/fantasy deserves more, gives us a better insight of it's world and the characters while ending before it's outstayed its welcome.
Feb 16, 2016 9:39 AM

May 2015
'it depends'.

But in general, 20 episodes seem to work best. Small-scale stories often should stay around 10 episodes, like Ping Pong or Stella's Women Academy. Bigger stories, like Psycho-Pass or KLK should stick to 20. More experimental and weird anime should also stay around 10, because it's easier to fuck those up. SEL couldn't last longer than it is.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 16, 2016 9:40 AM

Jul 2015
tragedydesu said:

This. I'd take all the filler out of Monster because god damn it's fucking LOOOOOONG for a thriller.
Feb 16, 2016 9:41 AM

Mar 2015
24-26 Episodes O believe.. though the minimum 12-13 Is quite fine too :)
私はサイタマ様が大好きです。私は彼の雌犬です!
Feb 16, 2016 9:41 AM
Aug 2014
To me, 24 episodes is what I would like. I don't mind it going more than that either but I feel like 24 episodes is the minimum necessity for a very good character and story driven anime. 12-13 episodes is very good for an anime that doesn't have a long story. I think 12-13 episodes would be the best bet for slice of life anime. There are some exceptions though. Oregairu for example deserved 24 episodes in 1 season. The amount of character interaction and story in that is amazing.
Feb 16, 2016 9:42 AM

Aug 2015
Depends on the series really... but I'd say 25-50 is about right.
Feb 16, 2016 9:42 AM

Jun 2009
RedTie said:
I've always thought that 24-26 is the right range. I haven't tackled anything bigger than that because it's highly likely I'll lose interest eventually.

It's funny, because up until recent years, I never watched anything with fewer than 50 episodes. It just seemed like a pointless endeavour to me; why watch something that lasts so short a time, leaving such a small impression on your life?

Then I started experimenting: Samurai Seven, Steins;Gate, KimiUso, Wolf's Rain. Some of my favourite series of all time. It seems I pretty much watch anime of any length nowadays, though I still have a soft spot for the long series.

You might want to give it a try. You may lose interest once in a while, but it comes back, and you'll feverishly want to get up to date, I'd wager.
Feb 16, 2016 9:47 AM
Jul 2018
rioplats said:
RedTie said:

It's funny, because up until recent years, I never watched anything with fewer than 50 episodes. It just seemed like a pointless endeavour to me; why watch something that lasts so short a time, leaving such a small impression on your life?

Then I started experimenting: Samurai Seven, Steins;Gate, KimiUso, Wolf's Rain. Some of my favourite series of all time. It seems I pretty much watch anime of any length nowadays, though I still have a soft spot for the long series.

You might want to give it a try. You may lose interest once in a while, but it comes back, and you'll feverishly want to get up to date, I'd wager.

Despite my hesitating I've had my eye on a couple of shows that go beyond what I'm used to. Like Death Note, for example. I think that would be a good first jump since it's 37 episodes, not that far from what I'm used to. If I make it then I'll try doing an even bigger jump.
Feb 16, 2016 9:48 AM

Dec 2015
It depends on the Anime itself imo. 12 episodes is normal & 24-26 episodes is just right.
Again, an Anime could have 100+ episodes & still be amazing. Such as, HxH & Gintama.
Feb 16, 2016 9:58 AM
Jul 2015
Depending on the content I can see almost every length work.
I often wish the producers would've decided to make their series a little longer though. I don't like when they rush the plot. (SAO, Charlotte, etc.)
HxH with over 100 episodes didn't bore me even a second. Therefore, I wouldn't say that there's a limit to how long you can keep a series going if you manage to keep your viewers interested. (Not like Pokémon. Literally the same story in a different region over and over again.)
Feb 16, 2016 10:07 AM

Feb 2013
2-3 cour is the sweet spot imo......
Feb 16, 2016 10:08 AM

Nov 2015
It depends on the amount of content they have and how they plan to use their characters and how they develop them..

But if I were to state a number it would be somewhere between 22-25.
Long enough to have fully fleshed out characters and short enough to retain interest.
Feb 16, 2016 10:10 AM

Dec 2015
12 to 24, depending on what the series is trying to do.
Although a series like fma:b did well with its number of episodes, which was like 60+ I think...I think.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 16, 2016 10:14 AM

Jan 2014
Depends on the scope obviously. It's silly to think that there should be any arbitrary set of numbers to tell a story.
It's like some of you people don't even know what a story is anymore. smh.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 16, 2016 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
it depends on the plot of the anime and the duration of the episodes. there's no point in extending a story more and more, with no interesting story to tell. it leaves us bored. and some animes have episodes with 13, 15 minutes of duration, so more episodes will be needed. (example: nijiiro days)
Feb 16, 2016 10:19 AM

Jun 2015
I believe the minimum should be ~30 episodes, and the maximum ~300.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 16, 2016 10:34 AM

Sep 2015
Not every series is the same, so the ide that there's only a right amount of episodes to be good, is kinda stupid. There are some short series that I like them for being short, the plot progresses and the character develops at the rigth pace and finish at the right time, but that method coudn't be applied to every series out there, especially series with a big cast and a difficuld end goal, if they trying to stretch the story it could affect his quality, altough it could work if the episodes are interesting but this is certainly not always the case.

A clear example of this would be Heavy Object, the story doesn't have enough depth and the characters aren't the best written ones, so they're just a certain amount of things that you can do with those, if you try to strech it out the show becomes dull and repetitive, the reason why I dropped it....well, that and the loli idol driving a mecha with her loli idol powers. (Not fuckin kidding, it's actually in the show)
KonaKoffee4 said:
Although a series like fma:b did well with its number of episodes, which was like 60+ I think...I think.
61 64....
-Senpai-Feb 16, 2016 10:44 AM
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 16, 2016 10:38 AM

Jul 2015
-Senpai- said:
Not every series is the same, so the ide that there's only a right amount of episodes to be good, is kinda stupid. There are some short series that I like them for being short, the plot progresses and the character develops at the rigth pace and finish at the right time, but that method coudn't be applied to every series out there, especially series with a big cast and a difficuld end goal, if they trying to stretch the story it could affect his quality, altough it could work if the episodes are interesting but this is certainly not always the case.

A clear example of this would be Heavy Object, the story doesn't have enough depth and the characters aren't the best written ones, so they're just a certain amount of things that you can do with those, if you try to strech it out the show becomes dull and repetitive, the reason why I dropped it....well, that and the loli idol driving a mecha with her loli idol powers. (Not fuckin kidding, it's actually in the show)
KonaKoffee4 said:

fmab have 64 ep and im in the minority that didnt enjoy watching it :"(
Feb 16, 2016 10:44 AM

Sep 2015
tragedydesu said:
-Senpai- said:

fmab have 64 ep and im in the minority that didnt enjoy watching it :"(
Oh fuck, you're right...I totally forgot.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 16, 2016 10:44 AM

Dec 2013
It's too relative, there is no sweetspot there is no ''ideal number of pages'' in a book just like there is no ideal amount holes you can put your dickle in, you make do with what you have.
Feb 16, 2016 10:46 AM

Jan 2016
Depends on the anime and how long the story takes to tell, 24 is a nice number.
Feb 16, 2016 10:50 AM

Apr 2015
Sure, i can understand an anime having a short number of episodes, but when it starts to reach a 100 episodes, i can't help but wonder; can't they just sum it up nicely?
Feb 16, 2016 10:54 AM

Oct 2014
You can't answer that, it depends on the type of story. Hunter x Hunter can have more than 100 episodes and still keep your interest. The Tatami Galaxy is my all time favorite and it only has 11 episodes.
Feb 16, 2016 10:57 AM

Jul 2013
It depends. Some stories are more complex than others and need more than 50 episodes.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Feb 16, 2016 10:58 AM

Oct 2014
probably between 2-4 cours but i dont mind shorter or longer
Feb 16, 2016 11:01 AM
Jan 2016
As many as are needed to tell the story and actually conclude it. I hate it when an anime has just 12 episodes, or even 24 but then doesn't reach a definite conclusion at the end and there's no 2nd season in sight. Yes, the journey is important, but I want to see the destination too. It's annoying when I have to read the manga to know how a story ends, because then it feels a little bit like a waste of time to even watch the anime.
Feb 16, 2016 12:13 PM
Apr 2015
I think a lot of it depends on the story and what kind of story it is. For instance, I love Haibane Renmei, and it's only 13 episodes. But the story is so slow-moving as it is that any more would have been tedious. On the other hand, a story as big as the one in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood needed even more episodes than 64, in my opinion, to capture everything in the manga.

But I personally don't enjoy waiting that long for an anime to end. FMAB seemed a little long to me even though I think it is technically too short. So it's also going to depend on how much you enjoy watching.

I think you're right about the 50 episode limit, I like that length a lot. :)
Feb 16, 2016 12:17 PM

Sep 2014
tragedydesu said:

Agree with this and in my point of view:
Standard: 10 to 13 episodes/season
Dream: 22 to 24 episodes/season
Rare: 24 and above
Feb 16, 2016 12:19 PM

Oct 2014
There is no 'wrong' or 'right' imo, an Anime needs as much episodes as the producers think is needed to make it an 'enjoyable' show.
Feb 16, 2016 12:29 PM

May 2014
I don't know how many episodes are just right, what i know is that 12 episodes series with read the manga endings are just wrong, real wrong. They just should not be a thing.
Feb 16, 2016 12:35 PM

May 2014
For me its 24-50 episodes, I never watch 12 episodes single season anime that don't feel rushed or incomplete. Akagami Shirayuki-hime actually did a pretty good job with 12 episodes, there are a few exceptions.

Except for Fairy Tail, Fairy Tail can have as many as it needs and still be perfect.
Feb 16, 2016 12:40 PM

Jan 2015
MAL graph tells me in the region of 24 episodes. But it really depends. There are lots of good short anime and the same can be said for longer anime.

Feb 16, 2016 12:52 PM

Oct 2012
I prefer ~24 episodes but it depends on the story.
Feb 16, 2016 12:53 PM

Aug 2014
I agree with what most people have said that around 24-26 episodes seem to be a good length. Anything more risks having fillers which no one really wants, unless its following the manga like FMA:B or Death Note. Anything less normally feels like it doesn't gives enough content.
Feb 16, 2016 1:11 PM

Feb 2016
I think around 24 is the best length. Not to short, and not long enough to get bored.

Feb 16, 2016 1:14 PM

Apr 2015
CannedKindness said:
I think a lot of it depends on the story and what kind of story it is. For instance, I love Haibane Renmei, and it's only 13 episodes. But the story is so slow-moving as it is that any more would have been tedious. On the other hand, a story as big as the one in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood needed even more episodes than 64, in my opinion, to capture everything in the manga.

But I personally don't enjoy waiting that long for an anime to end. FMAB seemed a little long to me even though I think it is technically too short. So it's also going to depend on how much you enjoy watching.

I think you're right about the 50 episode limit, I like that length a lot. :)

Thanks, i really appreciate your tone 😆
Feb 16, 2016 1:19 PM

Jan 2016
The first anime I started to watch on PC was Fairy tail and the first show as you could call it is 175 episodes..
I finished watching like 75 episodes and I actually have to force myself to watch more if I actually want to continue an Anime that takes this long..
I think I prefer 24'ish episodes, 12 episodes mostly feels like they are rushing the story unless they are making a next season.
Feb 16, 2016 1:22 PM

Apr 2015
I would probably say around 15, sometimes
i feel like 12 isn't enough
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

16 by JessicaKari »»
2 seconds ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 2 hours ago

6 by BirdyTheMighty »»
27 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

113 by DigiCat »»
2 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

29 by Daviljoe193 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 4 hours ago

24 by luckyrune »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.