Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Blue Submarine No. 6 Episode 4 Discussion

Jan 2, 2010 11:53 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Minasoko"

All in all a very good 4 part OVA. I would have liked to have seen a background story or a post story but this would do.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
Modified by DeadlyRaven, Sep 8, 2019 1:08 PM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Feb 23, 2010 2:58 PM

It felt rather incomplete. Guess I better read the manga then.

May 17, 2010 10:21 PM

they were very vague about the fate of mutio. It annoys me. other than that it was a good OVA.

Jun 23, 2010 5:55 AM

I didn't like at. At all. The story was all over the place, poor character development, and a bad ending.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Oct 13, 2010 11:03 AM

Desian said:
they were very vague about the fate of mutio. It annoys me. other than that it was a good OVA.

Agreed,i realy wanted to see more of her.And indeed,other than that it was a good OVA.,

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~

Oct 18, 2010 1:52 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

I really enjoyed this OVA.

Dec 11, 2010 3:23 PM

Incoherent piece of shit

MAEDA I AM DISAPPOINT

Jan 20, 2011 11:30 PM
I really enjoyed this OVA. I missed it back in the Toonami days, which is a shame in retrospect, and didn't catch it until a few years back. I wouldn't say that the character development was as bad as people make it out to be as Hayami does develop pretty well throughout, the problem is that he's the only character who really does. That's mostly due to him having way more character development scenes than anyone else.

That said, Kino was woefully underdeveloped considering her role in the finale but I blame that entirely on a lack of screen time. She also has the second most character development scenes, though many of them are focused on developing Hayami. Still, she felt a bit jerky in her character transitions, most notably her affection for Hayami.

The biggest problem with the show was the heavy use of CGI. What a lot of people don't understand is that there is a break even point on CGI, which is to say that once enough is used it starts becoming cheaper (due to faster production times) than traditional animation. Given the quantity of CGI and when it was made, my theory is that it was done for cost cutting reasons under the PR guise of "cool new technology".

On the flip side, the hand drawn animation was all excellent and was all really well designed. It wasn't just pleasant to look at but interesting, maybe even exciting. The beast people, which I realize upon writing this was never named, had interesting designs and the technology, human ships and such, had a very classic great look to it.

That aside, I thought that the plot (conceptually certainly) and setting were excellent. It's an action series so there is a ton of fighting which I only felt overwhelmed by in the finale. Of course that may have merely been my impatience to hear the entire final conversation as I thought that the fighting had some very cool scenes there too.

There may be something to be said about this having been better if it were longer (say 13 episodes) but being as concise as it is might be a large factor of why it is as good as it is. There's probably about 100 minutes worth of content, which is equal to a movie, so part of it may be that it's broken into episodes instead of being a movie.

Jul 17, 2011 4:29 PM

UncannyGarlic said:
The beast people, which I realize upon writing this was never named, had interesting designs...

Some of them, like Mutio, had interesting designs. The rest, like Vega, were silly animal people.

I thought the whole thing embodied a negative stereotype of anime; pretentious pseudo-philosophy wrapped in shallow action.

Sep 21, 2012 2:52 PM

what i really love was the submarine action~

Jul 17, 2013 11:25 PM
So Zyondyke just wanted everyone to talk and get along instead of competing against one another or something? or was he just made Monsanto let him go without a severance package?

I mean you don't need to kill 80% of the population to start a converstaion do you? Seemed like he went back and forth between being a nihlist and wanting to generate an actual new world order to help mankind

Still not sure what was going on with Hayami's old buddy

Original concept and interesting execution but it could've been a lot better with some more time

Aug 3, 2013 3:13 AM

Fantastic...I think I may have seen it back when...but who cares!!!? Good lessons to be learned and really a chilling reminder of what may and could happen...the natural upheavel part...though IM sure some scientist furry fanatic would make dr moreau hybrids. MUSIC!!!

Aug 24, 2013 6:30 PM

It was okay I guess....

I haven't read manga yet but was meh for me. Music and the fantasy elements were some of the highlights for me.

Aug 25, 2013 2:40 PM

I really liked the show but I thought it was a tad confusing.

Jan 8, 2014 10:02 PM

dat cliffhanger.
could be better with only 4 ep. :D
ep. 2 the best for me.

Jan 15, 2014 12:41 PM

Good OVA, Zyondyke was such a jerk though for flooding the whole planet.

Mar 15, 2014 8:21 PM

Eh, hoped for more. The last 2 episodes just played out like you thought they might from the first, with no real surprises or frills.

(3. Mutant girl saves & befriends guy; 4. Final attack, misanthropic villain's unsatisfying exposition, all hold hands)

Nov 8, 2014 4:37 PM

This was pretty damn impressive! Really liked this last episode to be honest, while the story isn't really finished the story that was laid out here did and it sure was pretty good if you ask me! Besides the rather weak 1999-2000 CGI it had still pretty strong visuals and quite nice story development.

I'd love to see a movie remake of this story actually! 8/10

Apr 18, 2016 3:08 AM
This show in general is too short. Wish they made a 12 episode story, with more development overall. Like it is is not enough.

Apr 22, 2016 12:05 PM

alinet86 said:
dat cliffhanger.
ep. 2 the best for me.

I don't think this is what you usually call a cliffhanger.

Apr 22, 2016 7:06 PM

arilando said:
alinet86 said:
dat cliffhanger.
ep. 2 the best for me.

I don't think this is what you usually call a cliffhanger.

Well it must have been like a cliffhanger ending to me, although it's been 2 years already and I don't even know what this anime is all about by now. XD

May 4, 2016 2:12 AM

UncannyGarlic said:

There may be something to be said about this having been better if it were longer (say 13 episodes) but being as concise as it is might be a large factor of why it is as good as it is. There's probably about 100 minutes worth of content, which is equal to a movie, so part of it may be that it's broken into episodes instead of being a movie.

Imagine how good this could be if done now with a movie budget. Story would need to be fleshed out a little more but honestly, besides wanting more character development for mutio and kino I think the story was fine. They dont need to spoon feed it, if people are confused they can watch it again. Some stuff just isnt explained, fill in the gaps with your imagination people, if you have one. This is the kind of story that should be left open anyways.

Mar 13, 2018 11:46 PM

Sort of a Frankenstein-esque story; it even ends at the edge of the world. Hayami killed Zorndyke, and I want to ask "why?" though I know why. The story wasn't ever totally, clearly sorted out, but it's an expressionist story caught in the mists of the unknown.

Mar 29, 2018 4:34 PM

What's with the heart of Zorndyke? anyone?
Modified by TheInvisibleSelf, Mar 29, 2018 6:10 PM

Aug 22, 2019 2:00 PM

a big pile of non sense especially this last episode

Sep 7, 2019 11:08 PM

Jirokissaw said:

i guess its true that attention really has shrunk if young people can't even keep up with 4 episode s :P

TheInvisibleSelf said:
he ripped out his heart and put it in a machine to power it. that hole was just that an empty hole.

Yup said:

my only main complaint was that they left off at kinda an awkward spot. i heard the game has a more complete ending that takes place after they are on the beach of the arctic so maybe once that's translated i'll pick it up.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.”

Sep 8, 2019 1:57 AM

hazarddex said:
Jirokissaw said:

i guess its true that attention really has shrunk if young people can't even keep up with 4 episode s :P

TheInvisibleSelf said:
he ripped out his heart and put it in a machine to power it. that hole was just that an empty hole.

Yup said:

my only main complaint was that they left off at kinda an awkward spot. i heard the game has a more complete ending that takes place after they are on the beach of the arctic so maybe once that's translated i'll pick it up.

Okay uncle hazard you need to hear me out on this it's not about me not keeping up or focusing on the story it's more about the plot itself the plot was rushed and compressed and the big idea that didn't give any sense to me is how can these creature created and raised and teached by a human that they love so much and at the same time they hate other humans this much at least they would have a curiosity about humans.
and then after killing millions in this non sense war you figure out that Zyondyke did all this for them to coexist and communicate the fuck?!
And don't tell me that Mutio reached out to Hayami because of her curiousity she got confused after he saved her

Ps:i'm not that young :p